Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Round Pick

Draft season is officially upon us, and a lot of opinions differ when it comes to our first pick of the draft. What would you do? Kind of a general question but realistically what would you do and why? Just curious.

Defense clearly comes to mind when we talk upgrades and improvements. Or maybe a RB workhorse for Mr. Luck?

Please feel free to speak our mind.

Go Colts!

Finally a new thread today. What I think we're going to do is draft Melvin Gordon. What we should do is draft a front 7 guy. A few guys I would love at 29 and that could be there is Jordan Phillips, Arik Armstead, and Paul Dawson. I wouldn't mind trading up for Beasley actually. I'm hoping for Dawson. We need a playmaker at ILB, and that's exactly what Dawson gives us. Then we could get a RB in the 2nd.

You're so wrong it's crazy

OK, tell me which top impact players are left at #29. 

This is widely regarded as a weak draft class and the top OLs, DLs, DBs, WRs, LBs  and 2 QBs will be gone.

Do the math for 28 players...then we get our turn at #29.

Do you really think we are going to get ANY impact player?  We will hopefully get a few good starters...that's it.

There is nobody too exciting who will still be on the board at #29.

We will probably end up taking a D guy like Werner...again.

Dude, there will be plenty of impact players on the board at 29, and there will still be solid, day 1 starters in the 2nd and 3rd too. I mean last year Bradley Roby went 31 and he ended up being the best CB in that class so far. Just a few guys who were late 1st round, impact players the past few years are Harrison Smith 29th, Muhammad Wilkerson 30th, Cameron Heyward 31st, Alec Ogletree 30th, and not to mention the 2nd and 3rd round guys like Kiko Alonso, etc. There will be plenty of solid players left trust me. We could easily come out of this draft will 3 solid week 1 starters.

OK, tell me which top impact players are left at #29.

This is widely regarded as a weak draft class and the top OLs, DLs, DBs, WRs, LBs and 2 QBs will be gone.

Do the math for 28 players...then we get our turn at #29.

Do you really think we are going to get ANY impact player? We will hopefully get a few good starters...that's it.

Are you seriously saying there won't be a single impact player from this draft outside the first 28 picks?

I was for trading down a few spots for a team that needs a QB, but seeing the combine I don't think Brett Hundley is good enough to force a team to re-enter the 1st round for him.

I think you take a guy on defense who can immediately make you better. Not a guy who will have to sit and develop or be a rotational guy his first year, but a guy who will come in and make you immediately better. Who stops Jonas Gray from running for 200 yards and 4 TD's on you? Who can stop TE's from eating you alive across the middle? Who disrupts the pocket and makes it hard on the QB and WRs? Who makes me better on defense as soon as he sees the field?

I think you ask yourselves those questions and that's who you take unless there's a can't miss O-line prospect that falls. I'm not sure who that is at 29. Could be Perryman or Kendricks if they're there. Could be a lineman like Malcom Brown or Davis if they're there. Who knows.

Trade down from 29 to maybe 45 and pick up an extra mid third round pick. Take who ever is the best ILB left between Kendricks, Perryman, or Dawson. ILBs are not usually drafted as high as some other positions, so one of the three should be left. Or even some other ILB that has value there.

If someone of real high value drops to 29, then maybe draft him instead of doing the trade. I'm thinking that Armsted would be one of those guys I would draft at 29 instead of trading out of the pick.

Just wanted to state the obvious, but we have no idea who will be there really. Guys will go early who was supposed to be there at 29, and guys will fall who wasn't supposed to. A guy like Dawson, Malcolm Brown or Goldman could go top 25, or a player like Beasley could fall. Floyd was supposed to go top 5 a few years ago remember? There was injury concerns though.

The only pick I don't want us to take in the first round is Armstead, if he is there. I believe he will go earlier because he will do so well at the combine. The guy is an athletic beast. Regardless though, you look at him, and look at his production and it is not there. Tape should always rule when drafting. Armstead could be great, or he could be a total bust, based on what he did at Oregon. We need to find someone solid, not a boom or bust.

Dawson or Kendricks would not be flashy, but I believe they both could play immediately. Same with many of the OL. OL is deep. I believe many of the tackles will play guard, but I would be find with finding a good guard, and then let him take RT over after a year.

The only pick I don't want us to take in the first round is Armstead, if he is there. I believe he will go earlier because he will do so well at the combine. The guy is an athletic beast. Regardless though, you look at him, and look at his production and it is not there. Tape should always rule when drafting. Armstead could be great, or he could be a total bust, based on what he did at Oregon. We need to find someone solid, not a boom or bust.

You're saying this because you looked at his stats, not his tape. Don't say someone shouldn't get drafted because of his tape when you haven't even watched it.

You're saying this because you looked at his stats, not his tape. Don't say someone shouldn't get drafted because of his tape when you haven't even watched it.

I just saw him run his 40, and that is one special human being. Not even 21 and his frame is massive. He has too much potential to pass up on. Also enough raw ability to create a little havoc early on

I just saw him run his 40, and that is one special human being. Not even 21 and his frame is massive. He has too much potential to pass up on. Also enough raw ability to create a little havoc early on

His tape matches it most of the time, too.  As I've said before, his concerns are injuries, and he tended to wear down late in some games.

The little kid in me wants the Colts to take Gordon or Gurley because I drool at the thought of Luck handing the ball off to a true top 10 back in this league.

But I personally think the RB position should be addressed no later than Round 3. Duke Johnson comes to mind.

Round 1, I believe defense is key. (Obviously) But who on defense? Front 7 or secondary? Personally, if marcus peters is available id pull trigger on him, him and Vontae would be deadly, (disregarding marcus' red flags, of course) Or get best available front 7 pass rusher. Now, I would not reach on a pass rusher at 29, if it means getting a blue chip offensive player, id go offense, I just don't want any projects or potential picks. I want impact players. Go Colts

His tape matches it most of the time, too.  As I've said before, his concerns are injuries, and he tended to wear down late in some games.

You hear the phrase "he wears down after awhile" with most lineman who are 290+. It's only natural at that size. You'll always hear about guys like that dissapearing. That's a lot of weight to be moving around for 60 minutes.

Also not concerned about the injury history because its probably the schools conditioning and high demand they put on their players. Alabama and Oregon are 2 schools where alot of prospects come out a little banged up.