Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

winston "I plan on winning the super bowl next year"

CR91

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the tone and the delivery, not just what he said (same goes for everything else footbqll players say). There's something both smug and incredibly stupid about Jameis saying he plans on winning the SB that just wasn't there when Eli said he was elite.

So Peyton and Eli can say bold statements and everything is fine but Jameis can't?

Eli and Elway can even refuse to play for a team in the draft, threaten to sit out the entire season and all is well but by God Jameis can't say he plans to win the Super Bowl next season that's just crossing the line and just plain stupid

So Peyton and Eli can say bold statements and everything is fine but Jameis can't?

Eli and Elway can even refuse to play for a team in the draft, threaten to sit out the entire season and all is well but by God Jameis can't say he plans to win the Super Bowl next season that's just crossing the line and just plain stupid

What? People still rip Elway for that move 30 yrs after the fact

Yes. They can. There is your answer even though all you're doing is pretending not to kmow what I mean.

All of those players were heavily criticized for their statements/actions. Except for Peyton as he did not say it publicly nor did he refuse to play for the Colts unlike Eli and Elway who refused to go to the teams that wanted them.

A couple of years ago I was critical of Tyrann Mathieu for saying he could cover Calvin Johnson and I was told that the dude was just looking for a job and you have to show confidence to get that job in the NFL.

I would say Winston is doing the same thing here.  

would we be having this discussion if manziel said it

Yes.  Manziel's arrogance was talked about this time last year.  Since he isn't in the draft and Winston is, he is the present topic of conversation.  In Winston's case, I would have to know more about what he meant.  If he meant, I'd like to be good enough next year to be compared to Brady or Manning, then I would see it as confident but humble.  If he meant, I'm good enough right now to be compared to those two (without having played one snap in the NFL as of yet) then that would be easily interpreted as arrogance.  

Every player before the start of the season has this same thing on their mind, just as every team plays with hopes they can win it all.

This is stupid to even make a big deal about, even if it makes him sound arrogant, what do you want him to say? At this point, he's turning into a card board cut out bad guy. Does anyone care to dispute now that the NFL is not a male soap opera centered around drama? It's a fact at this point. 

There's a reason why the best of the best (at anything) are usually described as having "a quiet confidence." This, to me, was almost like a rehearsed answer advised by some used car salesman-type agent. Projecting yourself accomplishing something like this isn't my definition of confidence... it's almost the opposite. But to each his own. 

There's a reason why the best of the best (at anything) are usually described as having "a quiet confidence." This, to me, was almost like a rehearsed answer advised by some used car salesman-type agent. Projecting yourself accomplishing something like this isn't my definition of confidence... it's almost the opposite. But to each his own.

Yep, give me J.J. Swatt or Russell Wilson type confidence over boisterous claims from tools anyday.

All of those players were heavily criticized for their statements/actions. Except for Peyton as he did not say it publicly nor did he refuse to play for the Colts unlike Eli and Elway who refused to go to the teams that wanted them.

Another POV is this - Peyton and Jameis were both doing things that college quarterbacks had never done. 1 of them was reading defenses. 1 of them was standing on picnic tables saying Imma...her right in the...

Hey, that reminds me of the beginning of this video from Blaine Gabbert:

So if Blaine was "Real American" [Nice homage to Hulk Hogan AKA "Thunderlips" in Rocky III BTW] as the starting QB for the Jacksonville Jaguars, what's that make Mr. Gabbert now? A loyal German look alike with blond hair as a backup QB for the 49ers? LOL! Love that video with the cheesy self made voice over 85 hair band track. Nice work RMDY! lmao   

I miss people asking you why you use 3rd person. Always made me laugh

Just for you BOTT, SW1 will bring my Becker/Seinfeld  TV character persona back.  :P

I plan on winning the lottery tomorrow 

If you do win, can I just say that you are the most brilliant poster on the forum Lolly. Mail a check to this address for SW1...Just messing with you man.  :D I'll do almost anything for a few extra bucks. Almost. 

Only have one thing to say to him , don't let your mouth write a check your A.. cant cash . :thmup:

Exactly Jay, get drafted & master your NFL playbook 1st before you verbally express your confidence as a newly minted QB in this league. Usually, if a QB is a step above their contemporaries, everyone can clearly see it, feel it, & know it without a word being spoken. 

Exactly Jay, get drafted & master your NFL playbook 1st before you verbally express your confidence as a newly minted QB in this league. Usually, if a QB is a step above their contemporaries, everyone can clearly see it, feel it, & know it without a word being spoken. 

In other words do your talking by your actions on the field. Confidence is a must ,but I love the humble kind . :thmup:

In other words do your talking by your actions on the field. Confidence is a must ,but I love the humble kind . :thmup:

You've got it brother. Some boldness is required just to survive at that position on this level. Like you though, I love humble athletes that just work hard, show up early, & soak up knowledge/training like a sponge. 

Like GP said above "Quiet Confidence" in the confines of a locker room is best in my estimation. Well stated by both you & GP. 

Hello All. Nice forum you've got here. I'm a 49ers fan just checking out what's happening in Indiana since Grigson's comments at the Combine.

Re Winston's comments, I thought it was lamentable that someone close to him didn't coach him on what to say. A little bravado and a strong display of confidence is good for the kid; but you can't afford to come off too cocky in situations like this. Am sorry to say these words might come back to haunt him. On the other hand, if he's squaring off versus Tom Brady in Super Bowl 50 I can't imagine him not having the support of the vast majority of fans...Because of the Underdog narrative and all that. Good luck to him. 

Another POV is this - Peyton and Jameis were both doing things that college quarterbacks had never done. 1 of them was reading defenses. 1 of them was standing on picnic tables saying Imma...her right in the...

Do people not remember?  Peyton was no saint at Tennessee...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-11-06-brennan_x.htm

I'm more concerned with Winston's sexual assault issue than a few minor college boy screwups with crab legs etc...  The former and DV issues are red flags and more deep rooted.  The latter is prankish things a kid can grow out of.

Do people not remember? Peyton was no saint at Tennessee...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-11-06-brennan_x.htm

I'm more concerned with Winston's sexual assault issue than a few minor college boy screwups with crab legs etc... The former and DV issues are red flags and more deep rooted. The latter is prankish things a kid can grow out of.

You have a point lol but that Peyton thing just cracks me up to be honest.

Also the poster above referenced coaching. What's the deal with the guys who Jimbo Fisher coaches? Ponder isn't the most normal guy in the world. He just get overshadowed by freaking Jameis Winston and Jamarcus Russell.

Stupid. Confidence doesn't come from being boisterous.  He's not even in the NFL yet. He's not even a rookie yet.

But hey its a free country- have at it.

Personally, I love it.  Every football player's aspiration ought to be to win the Big Game.  If they are wrong, no one remembers.  When they are right, no one forgets.  

“I still have the image of Tom Brady coming down the old Foxboro stadium steps with that pizza box under his arm, a skinny beanpole, and when he introduced himself to me and said ‘Hi Mr. Kraft,’ he was about to say who he was, but I said ‘I know who you are, you’re Tom Brady. You’re our sixth round draft choice,’” recalled Kraft.  “And he looked me in the eye and said ‘I’m the best decision this organization has ever made.’ It looks like he could be right.”

When Namath returned to the hotel, he called cornerback Johnny Sample, the Jets' defensive captain, in his room. "Joe told me, 'I said something tonight that's gonna be all over the news tomorrow,'" Sample says. "I asked him: 'What the heck did you say?' He told me he guaranteed we'd win the game. I said, 'Man, you didn't say that.' He said yeah, he did.

:realitycheck:        Stupid      RG3 like every player in the NFL feels the same way its easy to say & sounds good but when you have yet to be drafted & you don't know what team you'll be on with whom its just a stupid statement unless Denver Green Bay or Seattle or the Patriots are dumping there QB's just to get Winston whom they feel is ready straight outta college I believe he won't be going Disney world after next years SB just my opinion .

:realitycheck:        Stupid      RG3 like every player in the NFL feels the same way its easy to say & sounds good but when you have yet to be drafted & you don't know what team you'll be on with whom its just a stupid statement unless Denver Green Bay or Seattle or the Patriots are dumping there QB's just to get Winston whom they feel is ready straight outta college I believe he won't be going Disney world after next years SB just my opinion .

I see you found one of our new emicons