Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LA Times: Chargers and Raiders propose shared stadium in LA

MTC

Its actually pretty smart, the Giants and Jets built a mega stadium and get to split the costs, maintenance, repairs, etc from it so their profits are greater because they still get all of the home game money.

Im not sure what kind of arrangement they have during the offseason for leasing its use for concerts etc, im guessing its split 50/50, but it definitely makes the owners happy because their bank accounts get filled with cash a lot more

I do not see this happening period.

Chargers in the NFC? That's ridiculous.

The divisions are perfect right now 4 teams in 4 divisions. No need to mess that up again.

they will just move some around it still will be 4 teams in 4 divisions and it says the raiders would go to the NFC not the chargers

Don't forget the Rams are still on a year to year basis, and the owner wants to build a stadium in LA.

The Raiders need a building partner to get to LA.

The Rams will get there before the Chargers if it happens, they desperately need a new stadium too. That dome they play in is falling apart. 

"In a statement given to The Times on Thursday, the Chargers and Raiders said: “We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises.”

This line from the attached article makes me roar with laughter because stadium owners are fond of saying that their stadium directly benefits the entire state economy it resides in, it really doesn't other than the local venders located near the stadium & restaurants in close proximity to the facility itself. If the state legislature & citizens who live in the city, agree to generate money for the building from their tax base located within specific city limits via a referendum, it is entirely possible that certain individual tax payers will never attend a single season home game because they don't possess the disposal income after mandatory expenses to swing the cost financially. Therefore, it is possible to be taxed for something a person will never use nor did they willingly consent to it personally or individually. 

In addition, if owners claim to love their fanbase so much, why threaten to uproot & relocate geographically if a specific municipality declines to fund a state of the art facility for a franchise because either the team sucks or citizens feels tax payer dollars are better served being spent elsewhere? Translation: We [NFL owners] love our fan base so much that we will leave you in the dust permanently if you refuse to give us a blank check to create our shiny new toy that only the truly affluent reap the longterm awards from anyway. 

If the Rams became an AFC team, it would be awesome to have them in our division. They should realign us with the Ohio teams too. So Colts fans could easily travel en masse to division games.

I would love to see us out of the AFC South.  I've always hated being in that division.

With 3 teams fighting for the 2 spots in Los Angeles, I wonder how the fans of the loser are going to react when that team comes crawling back home with their tail between their legs?

Its actually pretty smart, the Giants and Jets built a mega stadium and get to split the costs, maintenance, repairs, etc from it so their profits are greater because they still get all of the home game money.

Im not sure what kind of arrangement they have during the offseason for leasing its use for concerts etc, im guessing its split 50/50, but it definitely makes the owners happy because their bank accounts get filled with cash a lot more

I do agree this is healthy for the bottom line of sharing stadiums, but from a fan's perspective it is awful. Jets and Giants have always shared stadiums, just like the Rangers and Knicks, and next year Nets and Islanders, in addition to Lakers, Clippers, and Kings sharing staples center because of the huge markets in NY and LA that can support multiple teams in the same sport. The only difference here is you are literally uprooting two teams (including one halfway across the country) and putting them together to get that. People were worried about losing their team to LA and now it's possible two are going? People are passionate about their teams no matter how bad they have been recently. If I was in St Louis I would be furious if that happened because they are already moving a California team within California why does their team need to go as well? Plus - LA already has the LA KISS!!!!!

Edit: Didn't completely read it said Chargers and Raiders. I was in the thinking the Rams being on a year to year basis and their owner wanting to build in LA.

I do agree this is healthy for the bottom line of sharing stadiums, but from a fan's perspective it is awful. Jets and Giants have always shared stadiums, just like the Rangers and Knicks, and next year Nets and Islanders, in addition to Lakers, Clippers, and Kings sharing staples center because of the huge markets in NY and LA that can support multiple teams in the same sport. The only difference here is you are literally uprooting two teams (including one halfway across the country) and putting them together to get that. People were worried about losing their team to LA and now it's possible two are going? People are passionate about their teams no matter how bad they have been recently. If I was in St Louis I would be furious if that happened because they are already moving a California team within California why does their team need to go as well? Plus - LA already has the LA KISS!!!!!

Edit: Didn't completely read it said Chargers and Raiders. I was in the thinking the Rams being on a year to year basis and their owner wanting to build in LA.

Oh I agree, this would be horrible to the fans of those 2 teams and part of me thinks this is just posturing on their part for leverage in getting their new stadium deals done

Although Al Davis would have never in a million years allowed a move, I'm not so sure if his son feels as strongly

I'd love to see this happen. I think they need more land, but that area of LA is less congested than City of Industry, Inglewood or downtown, where the other proposals are centered. It's closer to the water, and there's a lot of open space that can be built on for hotels and other commerce. I think it's a really good location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carson,+CA/@33.8507401,-118.2742027,1392m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c2cb1e7fbac47d:0xa12f1778a9e28065

Raiders will fill the seats but the Chargers may not.   If they ended up staying in the division, then Chargers "home" games would be a wash as Raider fans would drown them out.  I don't think this is a good move for the Chargers organization.  If they're going to move, go to Irvine or Oceanside and call them the SoCal Chargers.  You might draw some fans from Orange County and still keep your San Diego fan base.

I could see the Rams and Raiders going before I could see San Diego.  I think San Diego may be on the verge of a new deal anyway somewhere near downtown SD.  

Raiders will fill the seats but the Chargers may not. If they ended up staying in the division, then Chargers "home" games would be a wash as Raider fans would drown them out. I don't think this is a good move for the Chargers organization. If they're going to move, go to Irvine or Oceanside and call them the SoCal Chargers. You might draw some fans from Orange County and still keep your San Diego fan base.

I could see the Rams and Raiders going before I could see San Diego. I think San Diego may be on the verge of a new deal anyway somewhere near downtown SD.

one would go to the NFC if that happened

If the Rams became an AFC team, it would be awesome to have them in our division. They should realign us with the Ohio teams too. So Colts fans could easily travel en masse to division games.

I like it.  Somehow put us in with Cincy, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.   Baltimore could go to the East and Miami to the South.