Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts meetings with draft prospects (merge)

There are a lot of positions needed before a TE is drafted IMO. The Colts already have one of the best TE combinations in the NFL. Fleener, Allen and Doyle are good enough not to pick a TE in the draft.

Our TE's are ok BUT not elite like Gronk or Graham. If we can get someone in the 5th rd. as a project and maybe become a difference maker it's well worth it,it's NOT LIKE IT'S a 1st,2ND or 3rd RD pick lol!

Sometimes it don't hurt to think outside of the box once in awhile.

Of course we can always please the mass by picking some obscure fatty in the 5th and pray he will be the answer to stop Belichek from ramming the run down our throats again. haha

There are a lot of positions needed before a TE is drafted IMO. The Colts already have one of the best TE combinations in the NFL. Fleener, Allen and Doyle are good enough not to pick a TE in the draft.

Our TE's are ok BUT not elite like Gronk or Graham. If we can get someone in the 5th rd. as a project and maybe become a difference maker it's well worth it,it's NOT LIKE IT'S a 1st,2ND or 3rd RD pick lol!

Of course we can always please the mass by picking some obscure fatty in the 5th and pray he will be the answer to stop Belichek from ramming the run down our throats again. haha

We absolutely do NOT need a TE.   Not sure what you're seeing down there in Florida.

The Waller kid might be a tight end,  but many see him as an over-sized wide receiver and that would be fine for the Colts.

And don't forget Swoopes on the practice squad and all the other needs the team has for the picks we own.

• Like 2

If Waller was that good he wouldn't be there in the 4th or 5th round. Please the mass? What are you even talking about? Grigson and Irsay are the ones who decide who the Colts draft, not the masses. Grigson couldn't care less about what the masses think. He went outside the box when he traded a 1st round pick for a RB and we all seen how that worked out. haha

No, we don't need a a TE But if there's a chance to get a project player in the 5th round that could maybe be a playmaker like Graham it's worth it, the Seahawks gave up a pro bowl center and a 1st RD.pick for him. You know low risk high reward. A player with his size that ran a 4.46 40!

And some think he can be the steal of the draft.

As far as maybe not being that good or wouldn't be there in the 4th or 5th? How many times have we heard Brady being drafted in the 6th!Lol.

Maybe he will never convert successfully to a TE or even a decent receiver BUT the only thing you have to lose on him is a lowly 5th RD pick, that's if he is still there in the 5th.

No, we don't need a a TE But if there's a chance to get a project player in the 5th round that could maybe be a playmaker like Graham it's worth it, the Seahawks gave up a pro bowl center and a 1st RD.pick for him. You know low risk high reward. A player with his size that ran a 4.46 40!

As far as maybe not being that good or wouldn't be there in the 4th or 5th? How many times have we heard Brady being drafted in the 6th!Lol.

Maybe he will never convert successfully to a TE or even a decent receiver BUT the only thing you have to lose on him is a lowly 5th RD pick, that's if he is still there in the 5th.

If people are talking about him being a steal I doubt he would be there in the 4th. Anything is possible but the TE position is not a high priority IMO. But Grigson beats to a different drummer than most so who knows?

Well.... there certainly won't be 3 draft picks used.... and I don't know why you think there would be? The Colts have lots of other needs as well.

2 is possible, but certainly not better than a 50-50 shot...

1 draft pick seems a lock.

But at the owners conference, Grigson expressed confidence in what we already have on the roster, including Kerr and Quarles and Hughes as guys who he expects to see much more from...

Well as others have said, we need someone who would require double teams. we can't just go into the season with the same players basically who gave up so many yards to New England.

It would be a mistake to pass on a DL player if he were higher rated than say a S, CB, WR, ILB when it was the Colts pick. There are talented players on the DL this year so we shouldn't have the mentality to think we don't need to add to the DL.

I'm not saying we shouldn't add to it at all. But if we draft one in the first round, I don't think we should just pass our other needs to get another d lineman.

This TE you describe is already on the roster. Is the practice squad big enough for 2 developmental TE's?

why would any quarterback want to meet with the colts?

really worried about that list though. Half of those players are all practice squad or 3rd stringer potential...

Many on the list are players the Colts might like as undrafted free agents,  including the quarterback.

The Colts list looks like this every year......

Credit to @MyColtsAccount

http://l.b5z.net/i/u/10079302/f/Big_Board.pdf

Landon Collins, S, Alabama

Danny Shelton, DT. Washington

Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA

T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

Quentin Rollins, CB, Miami (OH)

Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

Derron Smith, S, Fresno State

Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson

Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St.

Damarious Randall, S, Arizona

Ty Sambrailo. OT, Colorado St.

Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn

Jamil Douglas, OG, Arizona

Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville

Jeremiah Poutasi, G/OT, Utah

Doran Grant, CB, Ohio State

Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DE, S. Miss

Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma

Clayton Geathers, S, UCF

Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

Dres Anderson, WR, Utah

Lynden Trail, DE, Norfolk St

Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn

Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee

Bryce Callahan, CB, Rice

Darren Waller, WR/TE, Georgia Tech

Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada State

Detrick Bonner, S, Virgina State

Derrick Lott, DE, Chattanooga

Nick Marshall, CB/QB, Auburn

Brandon Bridge, QB, Southern Alabama

Dominique Brown, RB, Louisville

Junior Sylvestre, ILB, Toledo

Bobby McCain, CB, Memphis

The Bolded names are guys I think have a good shot to be Colts on draft day. A lot of those guys are what the Colts look for when they draft guys. A few of them I have mocked to us as well.

NFL.com comparison is Mike McGlynn.

Evaluators say Mike Iupati Jr.:

"Utah OL Jeremiah Poutasi is drawing the label of "Mike Iupati Jr." from evaluators, according to Tony Pauline.

Pauline opens by saying most teams are evaluating Poutasi at guard, and we would not put it past the NFL to be making this comparison based on physical appearance. Poutasi played left tackle and right tackle while at Utah.

Rotoworld Source: TFY Draft Insider"

Well typically they are. It is just better to draft DL earlier than later.

Talent can be found anywhere. There's a huge chance that several of the D linemen projected in the first two rounds will be bust. Which means there's a chance that we draft one of those busts.

Why aren't there more DLs on that list!?!? They need to use at least 2, maybe 3 picks on the defensive line!

I'm assuming that it means that we are looking at a D-Lineman as early as round 1, so they don't want to give anything away. This draft is deep on the D-line.  I'm sure they're looking at guys like Phillips, Davis, Goldman, Brown, and Armstead really hard because one of them is likely to be there at 29, and be a Colt.

I'm assuming that it means that we are looking at a D-Lineman as early as round 1, so they don't want to give anything away. This draft is deep on the D-line. I'm sure they're looking at guys like Phillips, Davis, Goldman, Brown, and Armstead really hard because one of them is likely to be there at 29, and be a Colt.

Hopefully.

We aren't going to find a Graham or Gronkowski in the 5th round.. and we already have Swoope as a project player at TE.

There are much more pressing needs on this team.  Particularly depth all over the defensive side of the football.  You make it sound like a 5th round pick is worthless and we should just gamble it away.

Edited by 21isSuperman

We absolutely do NOT need a TE.   Not sure what you're seeing down there in Florida.

The Waller kid might be a tight end,  but many see him as an over-sized wide receiver and that would be fine for the Colts.

And don't forget Swoopes on the practice squad and all the other needs the team has for the picks we own.

Clive Walford is a good TE. I doubt he'll be on our board unless he drops to the 4th.

I also like Ben Koyack, but not before the 5th, and he might last longer than that. He has great hands and feet, and is a very willing blocker. Reminds me a lot of Dwayne Allen. 

It's definitely not a need, but if we grabbed a guy like one of those two, it could be insurance in case one of our two guys prices himself out of our market. And if not, both of them can play H-Back, and are better (IMO) than Doyle.

Clive Walford is a good TE. I doubt he'll be on our board unless he drops to the 4th.

I also like Ben Koyack, but not before the 5th, and he might last longer than that. He has great hands and feet, and is a very willing blocker. Reminds me a lot of Dwayne Allen. 

It's definitely not a need, but if we grabbed a guy like one of those two, it could be insurance in case one of our two guys prices himself out of our market. And if not, both of them can play H-Back, and are better (IMO) than Doyle.

Understood.....

I just think we have so many more pressing needs that it's hard for me to see using a 4th or a 5th on a TE.  

Do you want to use a 4 or a 5 to upgrade Doyle?    Seems like a waste to me....

Understood.....

I just think we have so many more pressing needs that it's hard for me to see using a 4th or a 5th on a TE.  

Do you want to use a 4 or a 5 to upgrade Doyle?    Seems like a waste to me....

I figure our 4th or 5th is going to have to make an impact on special teams, more than on offense or defense. I anticipate us getting a couple of potential starters in the first three rounds, and the rest of the draft class being depth/competition/developmental. So if we got Walford in the 4th or Koyack in the 5th, and they were better than Doyle and good on special teams, I'd be fine with that.

They wouldn't be my first priority in either round, but I like both of them.

I figure our 4th or 5th is going to have to make an impact on special teams, more than on offense or defense. I anticipate us getting a couple of potential starters in the first three rounds, and the rest of the draft class being depth/competition/developmental. So if we got Walford in the 4th or Koyack in the 5th, and they were better than Doyle and good on special teams, I'd be fine with that.

They wouldn't be my first priority in either round, but I like both of them.

I could see the logic in grabbing a TE with both Fleener and Allen coming off rookie contracts next year but man we have so many other areas that could use the boost. I think we could get a RB that could play in the 4th or 5th. I just don't see all those backs going in the first 2 days I hope Davis falls right in our laps. I really like that kid.

I guess it is just a matter of what the plan is for Allen and Fleener and how Swoope is progressing but I think we could and hope we do better in the 4/5 than a TE. There will be guys that can come in a help with more than just special teams there in the 4th for sure and the 5th.

The 5th has been good to us in the past Ballard Hughes Newsome and of course Mathis and that is just off the top of my head.

I could see the logic in grabbing a TE with both Fleener and Allen coming off rookie contracts next year but man we have so many other areas that could use the boost. I think we could get a RB that could play in the 4th or 5th. I just don't see all those backs going in the first 2 days I hope Davis falls right in our laps. I really like that kid.

I guess it is just a matter of what the plan is for Allen and Fleener and how Swoope is progressing but I think we could and hope we do better in the 4/5 than a TE. There will be guys that can come in a help with more than just special teams there in the 4th for sure and the 5th.

The 5th has been good to us in the past Ballard Hughes Newsome and of course Mathis and that is just off the top of my head.

I'm not campaigning for a TE. But I could see how it fits. Like you said, the contract situation for Fleener and Allen is something to consider. If we could get away without paying for the luxury of having two good TEs, but still have two good TEs, I'd be okay with that. Of course, I hope we keep both of them.

I think we'll draft a back at some point. Just too many good ones throughout this draft to not bump into one at some point. I hope Gordon and Gurley are gone by #29, otherwise both of them would be good picks, and I don't want us to spend a first on a back (that's counter-intuitive, I know). I've actually started to like Cameron Artis-Payne more and more. Langford is a speedster that would be a good pick late in the draft. And Corey Grant would be the speedster and potential return man that we haven't had. I haven't watched Mike Davis, but keep hearing good things about him.

I'm not campaigning for a TE. But I could see how it fits. Like you said, the contract situation for Fleener and Allen is something to consider. If we could get away without paying for the luxury of having two good TEs, but still have two good TEs, I'd be okay with that. Of course, I hope we keep both of them.

I think we'll draft a back at some point. Just too many good ones throughout this draft to not bump into one at some point. I hope Gordon and Gurley are gone by #29, otherwise both of them would be good picks, and I don't want us to spend a first on a back (that's counter-intuitive, I know). I've actually started to like Cameron Artis-Payne more and more. Langford is a speedster that would be a good pick late in the draft. And Corey Grant would be the speedster and potential return man that we haven't had. I haven't watched Mike Davis, but keep hearing good things about him.

I am for keeping both as well. I am interested to see if  Swoope can do anything this year. I certainly would not be looking at TE or QB in the middle rounds of the draft. Any other position I'd say is a go but we are pretty solid at TE.

I am with you on Grant late for sure. We have 2 6th's why wouldn't we take a chance on that guy.

I would check out Mike Davis he is Gore's mini me. He didn't have a great season this year. He got nicked up in the Auburn game didn't look the same the rest of the year. I'd look back at 2013 also.  He is  5-foot-9, 223 pounds, is one of those running backs who can run inside or outside, catch the ball, and protect the passer. The entire playbook would be open with him on every play. He is perfectly suited to the kind of power running game we talk about having.  The only knock on him is he doesn't have home run speed 5.61 40 at the combine not sure what he did at his pro day or even if he has had a pro day. But again like Gore 4.58.

"When I evaluated Davis, I saw a player who needs to develop some maturity in his game, but showed the traits to be an every-down back. He's not quite as good at cutting as some of his peers, but he understands downhill running and can contribute on passing downs. If he can learn to press the hole, set up his blocks, and use his natural explosion, he'd remind me a lot of Frank Gore". So who better to study behind??

I also like Donald Johnson a lot. The draft is so flooded with RB's this year I don't really see a reason to take a look at one before day 3 especially after the Gore signing. Gore is the kind of guy who needs his touches to get into the game. I think it would be a mistake to bring him in and rotate series or quarters let the man work while he still can.

I am for keeping both as well. I am interested to see if  Swoope can do anything this year. I certainly would not be looking at TE or QB in the middle rounds of the draft. Any other position I'd say is a go but we are pretty solid at TE.

I am with you on Grant late for sure. We have 2 6th's why wouldn't we take a chance on that guy.

I would check out Mike Davis he is Gore's mini me. He didn't have a great season this year. He got nicked up in the Auburn game didn't look the same the rest of the year. I'd look back at 2013 also.  He is  5-foot-9, 223 pounds, is one of those running backs who can run inside or outside, catch the ball, and protect the passer. The entire playbook would be open with him on every play. He is perfectly suited to the kind of power running game we talk about having.  The only knock on him is he doesn't have home run speed 5.61 40 at the combine not sure what he did at his pro day or even if he has had a pro day. But again like Gore 4.58.

"When I evaluated Davis, I saw a player who needs to develop some maturity in his game, but showed the traits to be an every-down back. He's not quite as good at cutting as some of his peers, but he understands downhill running and can contribute on passing downs. If he can learn to press the hole, set up his blocks, and use his natural explosion, he'd remind me a lot of Frank Gore". So who better to study behind??

I also like Donald Johnson a lot. The draft is so flooded with RB's this year I don't really see a reason to take a look at one before day 3 especially after the Gore signing. Gore is the kind of guy who needs his touches to get into the game. I think it would be a mistake to bring him in and rotate series or quarters let the man work while he still can.

I think having several backs makes sense. Gore is one of the oldest players on the team, so having a contingency plan is necessary. And it would be missing a huge opportunity if we don't draft one this year. 

I think having several backs makes sense. Gore is one of the oldest players on the team, so having a contingency plan is necessary. And it would be missing a huge opportunity if we don't draft one this year. 

totally agree Davis or Johnson and Grant  is what I'd like to see.

totally agree Davis or Johnson and Grant  is what I'd like to see.

I'm feeling real strong about a Duke Johnson/Frank Gore tandem as of late.   I like Cory Grants speed, but I'm having trouble seeing the need for him if we already have Jeff Demps.