Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#IU's Coleman met with #Colts Wednesday, expects to meet with them again today.

Am I the only one who see's Donald Brown when I watch Coleman? Brown put up huge numbers at UCONN when he was the only option on the team. He too was an upright runner with great straight line speed but limited lateral agility and shiftyness. Coleman also struggles in pass protection. They seem about the same size, although Coleman is more muscular. I'm not knocking Coleman, I want to like him, but the similarities are there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purdue fan...        hmmm  

Am I the only one who see's Donald Brown when I watch Coleman? Brown put up huge numbers at UCONN when he was the only option on the team. He too was an upright runner with great straight line speed but limited lateral agility and shiftyness. Coleman also struggles in pass protection. They seem about the same size, although Coleman is more muscular. I'm not knocking Coleman, I want to like him, but the similarities are there.

Coleman is just simply massively overrated around here because he is an Indiana boy, He actually is not very quick....more of a long strider then actually quick, Has little power to break tackles, Is an up right runner and almost no elusiveness....Really this years Donald Brown.......Give me Abdullah or Duke Johnson

Purdue fan...        hmmm  

Not a fan of Purdue football at all, Tiller treated my friends who played like garbage so it's not that I'm biased. I'm comparing him to Donald as a prospect. Remember, Brown was a pretty highly regarded back in college. Go back and watch his UCONN highlights, just telling you what my eyes see.

I am with you on this better than a 2nd for Forte. I think when it is all said and done Ajayi is the best back in this draft. Perfect fit for the Colts great hands out of the backfield.

I am not high on Coleman at all don't think he'd be such a hot topic on the board if he played at Michigan

How do you pronounce "Ajayi"?

I feel bad giving him my vote while I am uncertain of his name.

Gavin.....    seriously...  

I love AA, and have pimped him harder than TC....    and I like Duke..  BUT Tev is an everydown back.   But if one's QB CANNOT THROW THE FOOTBALL....    I guess one won't catch many balls...  ??/

Gurley and Melvin played at RUNNING U's...  they had NFL OL men pavintg the way every year, every down. 

I will gladly remind you AGAIN when Tev is tearing it up and you are quiet like a church mouse on the topic.     TC will be a fantastic back.   

Wow... 

Coleman is just simply massively overrated around here because he is an Indiana boy, He actually is not very quick....more of a long strider then actually quick, Has little power to break tackles, Is an up right runner and almost no elusiveness....Really this years Donald Brown.......Give me Abdullah or Duke Johnson

First of all Donald Brown's stats were FINE ...   WHEN HE P.layed.....    

Donald's issue was health?  So if YOUR issue with Brown is health then ...  ok..   I can see it..

BUIT...  WHEN Brown played he SHINED.   ..    So........????

Not a fan of Purdue football at all, Tiller treated my friends who played like garbage so it's not that I'm biased. I'm comparing him to Donald as a prospect. Remember, Brown was a pretty highly regarded back in college. Go back and watch his UCONN highlights, just telling you what my eyes see.

This from one site:

"We wouldn't be surprised if Coleman clocked sub-4.4 in the forty-yard dash. Coleman is stiff in the hips, however, and lacks both lateral agility and tackle-breaking ability. Running backs like him tend to struggle in the pros."

Why do Wisky and Bama backs usually ... fall short of expectations?

Please tell me?   Why...   They have NFL linemen in front of them in college?   

Tev does not...          Gurley does, Melvin does, Murray in Dallis.. was just a guy intil his OL showd up.     Faulk, Payton, and on and on...       Tev is getting it done at INDIANA.         INDIANA.        not Ohio St or Michigan.       Had he played at either he would have won the Heisman. 

Whatever...      time will tell      Live and learn...

This from one site:

"We wouldn't be surprised if Coleman clocked sub-4.4 in the forty-yard dash. Coleman is stiff in the hips, however, and lacks both lateral agility and tackle-breaking ability. Running backs like him tend to struggle in the pros."

This from one site:

Pretty spot on. I think he'd probably run a 4.4 flat. Not that it's that much of a difference.

He also came in 2" short and 15 lbs lighter than expected.

Gavin.....    seriously...  

I love AA, and have pimped him harder than TC....    and I like Duke..  BUT Tev is an everydown back.   But if one's QB CANNOT THROW THE FOOTBALL....    I guess one won't catch many balls...  ??/

Gurley and Melvin played at RUNNING U's...  they had NFL OL men pavintg the way every year, every down. 

I will gladly remind you AGAIN when Tev is tearing it up and you are quiet like a church mouse on the topic.     TC will be a fantastic back.   

Wow... 

Watch him some more, He is a straight line runner with little to no power, He will have to improve a lot to make it in the NFL, He wont be running against the Purdues and Michigan States and Michigans, Bowling Greens, North Texas, Marylands and Indiana States of the world, NFL quality teams will lock onto his straight line running style and he will have to adjust...Good news is I think in time he will...That lack of tackle breaking ability could be his real problem...Though if he lands here in Indy then both will

Watch him some more, He is a straight line runner with little to no power, He will have to improve a lot to make it in the NFL, He wont be running against the Purdues and Michigan States and Michigans, Bowling Greens, North Texas, Marylands and Indiana States of the world, NFL quality teams will lock onto his straight line running style and he will have to adjust

For what it's worth,   Michigan State has had one of the best defenses in all of college football for a number of years now.

Not just best in big-10,  but one of the best in all of college football.    They're really, really good.

I've watched lots of highlights and I don't get the fascination with Coleman. I think he will be okay, but I think if Coleman were a Virginia Wahoo and not an Indiana Hoosier a lot of you wouldn't be as in love with him.

For what it's worth,   Michigan State has had one of the best defenses in all of college football for a number of years now.

Not just best in big-10,  but one of the best in all of college football.    They're really, really good.

They were...which is why I should have just stuck to Colemans running style :funny: ...Seriously. I like Coleman, I think he will do fine, I just don't think he will be tearing up NFL defenses anytime soon..At least until he learns to run with much more elusiveness to counter his lack of tackle breaking ability

They were...which is why I should have just stuck to Colemans running style :funny: ...Seriously. I like Coleman, I think he will do fine, I just don't think he will be tearing up NFL defenses anytime soon..At least until he learns to run with much more elusiveness to counter his lack of tackle breaking ability

Not sure what video you're watching....   but you're review here doesn't come close to this write-up. 

You want MORE ELUSIVENESS?!?    Huh?!?

14 of his 28 career rushing TD's were 43 yards or longer, including 8 of 64 yards or longer...   And lack of tackle breaking ability?    Not according to this profile...    please read:

Analysis Strengths

Decisive north-south runner. Outstanding three-step burst into second level. Fearless between the tackles. Has dangerous jump-cut to instantly change gaps and ruin the plans of linebackers. Stays square to the line and is always in ready position to hit turbo. Fluid and flexible lower body with elite one-cut ability and natural change-of-direction talent without gearing down. Power in legs to slice through arm tackles and uses free hand as quality stiff-arm. Violent run finisher. Will duck shoulder and throw heavy forearm into tackler to prove a point. Not a content runner -- keeps feet moving after contact and won't give in. Capable hands out of backfield and willing to square up and engage pass rushers on pass plays. Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns. Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards.

Weaknesses

Treats every carry like a sprint. Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays. Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience so he allows back-side cutback lanes to develop. Can improve out of backfield. Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage. Pad level often a little high into contact.

NFL Comparison Darren McFadden

Bottom Line

His violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career. He is a "race car in the red" on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs. Zone, gap, power ... it doesn't really matter because Coleman can fit all schemes. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse.

But ..... I am a Texan

And a Buckeye fan

Watching Him he isn't a John Riggins type, that will run over you.....

He can take a small crease...... And accelerate through it

What's amazing is his burst after the LOS...... The DBS whiff badly

And here is his ESPN write-up.    Again, totally different than yours or Dustin's...

Overall Football Traits

Production   2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0   2013: (9/9) Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0   2014: (12/12) Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0   Career: KORs 30-124-690-23.0-1

Height-Weight-Speed  1  Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed.

Durability  3  Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014.

Intangibles  Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness  2  Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines. Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space.

Vision/Patience  2  Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past.

Agility/Acceleration  2  Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field.

Power/Balance  3  Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards.

Passing Game  3  Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Not sure what video you're watching....   but you're review here doesn't come close to this write-up. 

You want MORE ELUSIVENESS?!?    Huh?!?

14 of his 28 career rushing TD's were 43 yards or longer, including 8 of 64 yards or longer...   And lack of tackle breaking ability?    Not according to this profile...    please read:

Analysis Strengths

Decisive north-south runner. Outstanding three-step burst into second level. Fearless between the tackles. Has dangerous jump-cut to instantly change gaps and ruin the plans of linebackers. Stays square to the line and is always in ready position to hit turbo. Fluid and flexible lower body with elite one-cut ability and natural change-of-direction talent without gearing down. Power in legs to slice through arm tackles and uses free hand as quality stiff-arm. Violent run finisher. Will duck shoulder and throw heavy forearm into tackler to prove a point. Not a content runner -- keeps feet moving after contact and won't give in. Capable hands out of backfield and willing to square up and engage pass rushers on pass plays. Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns. Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards.

Weaknesses

Treats every carry like a sprint. Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays. Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience so he allows back-side cutback lanes to develop. Can improve out of backfield. Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage. Pad level often a little high into contact.

NFL Comparison Darren McFadden

Bottom Line

His violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career. He is a "race car in the red" on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs. Zone, gap, power ... it doesn't really matter because Coleman can fit all schemes. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse.

you did not watch the first video did you? I also know what I saw, He has good but not great speed and not very elusive...Check out Bucky Brooks take

I liked the highlight reel. He seems to be a big play risk on any play. He wasn't afraid to stick his nose in and make a block. Looked decisive hitting holes. I can't pretend that I'm a huge college ball fan but he passed the eyeball test for me.

you did not watch the first video did you? I also know what I saw, He has good but not great speed and not very elusive...Check out Bucky Brooks take

What video?    You didn't link me a video in any of our posts....

I've seen video of the player, but perhaps not the video that you want me to see.

Ultimately,  my point is the people who do this for a living are seeing a different running back than you are....

"High pad level can be an issue at times due to his taller stature, making a big target for tacklers. Tapered and slender frame and near maxed out physically, lacking ideal body type for the position. Average power and doesn't run with much shock to deliver hits."

"Lacks the creative elusiveness to dance his way out of trouble in the open field, showing more of a one-cut style to dart through creases. Has some tightness in his running style, struggling to fluidly change directions on a dime. "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001839/tevin-coleman

And here is his ESPN write-up. Again, totally different than yours or Dustin's...

Overall Football Traits

Production 2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0 2013: (9/9) Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0 2014: (12/12) Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0 Career: KORs 30-124-690-23.0-1

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed.

Durability 3 Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014.

Intangibles 1 Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 2 Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines. Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space.

Vision/Patience 2 Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past.

Agility/Acceleration 2 Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field.

Power/Balance 3 Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards.

Passing Game 3 Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

What video?    You didn't link me a video in any of our posts....

I've seen video of the player, but perhaps not the video that you want me to see.

Ultimately,  my point is the people who do this for a living are seeing a different running back than you are....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tevin-coleman?id=2552453

Click on the image of Coleman next to "More Draft Video"

Also I pay close attention to those that talk about players coming out of college, I value there opinion(Kiper/Mcshay/Mayock especially), I read scouting reports...I watch those players myself, Sometimes I agree with what they say, Other times I wont, They are not always right, Neither will I be...It happens...It will continue to happen. People would be right to take there word over mine...I'd encourage it......However that don't mean they are batting a 1000 or close.....Im not for sure...They don't give there opinions and evaluations just because they get paid to do it and are always right...they are not...they love to do it...So do I, Scouts don't always see the same things exactly the same....Let alone  draft gurus like Kiper and Mcshay, So you may put me down because I happen to have different opinions then Kiper and Mcshay sometimes.......But know they are not always right....and have been wrong a significant amount of times over the years...And I have been right before more then once

"High pad level can be an issue at times due to his taller stature, making a big target for tacklers. Tapered and slender frame and near maxed out physically, lacking ideal body type for the position. Average power and doesn't run with much shock to deliver hits."

"Lacks the creative elusiveness to dance his way out of trouble in the open field, showing more of a one-cut style to dart through creases. Has some tightness in his running style, struggling to fluidly change directions on a dime. "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001839/tevin-coleman

Yes.....   projected to go in the 2nd round.

Oh....   and let's be clear....   what you cut and pasted were his "weakness"...   one would almost think that the guy is a free agent.      Now,  let's take a look at the "strengths" listed in the profile....   It's two to three times larger...

Narrow frame, but good thickness and muscle tone on his body. Runs with a physical temperament and good body strength, lowering his pads to plow into defenders at the line of scrimmage and run through arm tackles. Works off contact with his aggressive run style and toughness to finish carries, almost always falling forward.

Hits his top speed quickly with long-striding acceleration and natural burst.  Races away from defenders with his striding long-speed to hit the home run, posting an impressive touchdown distance of 40.3 yards and leading the country with eight 60-yard runs in 2014.

Doesn't have any trouble changing directions with excellent balance. Sees the field well with vision to read blocks and find holes, making himself skinny and keeping his pads square to the line of scrimmage.

Soft hands as a receiver and reliable catching the ball in space or tight spaces. Nice job bodying up defenders in pass protection and not shy about extending his arms and being aggressive with his hands, showing a lot of promise in this area. Has experience as a return man on kickoffs and could fill that role in the NFL if needed.

Durable and toughs his way through minor bumps and bruises. Displays stamina and didn't wear down late in games, averaging 8.4 yards per carry in the second half of games in 2014. Strong character on the field and away from the game, earning high praise from his coaches for his work ethic and accountability. Impressive production, averaging 142.6 rushing yards per start and 7.5 yards per carry the last two seasons as the full-time starter.

Yes..... projected to go in the 2nd round.

Ok? You took issue with Gavin's characterization of him (your words) not with his prediction of where he'll be drafted (which he didn't even do).

Gavin said he ran stiff and didn't have a lot of power. That is what you responded to.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tevin-coleman?id=2552453

Click on the image of Coleman next to "More Draft Video"

Also I pay close attention to those that talk about players coming out of college, I value there opinion(Kiper/Mcshay/Mayock especially), I read scouting reports...I watch those players myself, Sometimes I agree with what they say, Other times I wont, They are not always right, Neither will I be...It happens...It will continue to happen. People would be right to take there word over mine...I'd encourage it......However that don't mean they are batting a 1000 or close.....Im not for sure...They don't give there opinions and evaluations just because they get paid to do it and are always right...they are not...they love to do it...So do I, Scouts don't always see the same things exactly the same....Let alone  draft gurus like Kiper and Mcshay, So you may put me down because I happen to have different opinions then Kiper and Mcshay sometimes.......But know they are not always right....and have been wrong a significant amount of times over the years...And I have been right before more then once

Hold on, big fella....   Slow down....   I'm not -- repeat, NOT -- putting you down.   Not at all.   Same for Dustin.

I like what both of you do here.   Wouldn't want you change at all.   I'm only pointing out that your profile, your review of these players doesn't read the way the profiles I'm reading do.    ESPN, NFL.com, CBS Sports,  all look and read differently than yours.  Almost night and day different.    I'm simply trying to point out so you have a chance to look at more tape,  to re-consider your view.

No one bats 1,000.   Not even close.   Not in any sport.    You name it, football, basketball, baseball,  any of them.   That's the nature of the personnel business.   But when your profile is different than all of them,  then I'm trying to point it out so you might want to reconsider.    That's all.     Please, please,  please,  don't mis-read my meaning.    I like what you do.   Just offering another perspective for you to consider.

That's all...    

Hold on, big fella.... Slow down.... I'm not -- repeat, NOT -- putting you down. Not at all. Same for Dustin.

I like what both of you do here. Wouldn't want you change at all. I'm only pointing out that your profile, your review of these players doesn't read the way the profiles I'm reading do. ESPN, NFL.com, CBS Sports, all look and read differently than yours. Almost night and day different. I'm simply trying to point out so you have a chance to look at more tape, to re-consider your view.

No one bats 1,000. Not even close. Not in any sport. You name it, football, basketball, baseball, any of them. That's the nature of the personnel business. But when your profile is different than all of them, then I'm trying to point it out so you might want to reconsider. That's all. Please, please, please, don't mis-read my meaning. I like what you do. Just offering another perspective for you to consider.

That's all...

I've watched him extensively multiple times. I'm not going to let other people make my opinion for me.

Ok? You took issue with Gavin's characterization of him (your words) not with his prediction of where he'll be drafted (which he didn't even do).

Gavin said he ran stiff and didn't have a lot of power. That is what you responded to.

Look at the rest of my post.    I added on more info after you responded.

I think you'll get a better feel for what I'm thinking.

Gaving's view of Coleman (and yours) is not the same at ESPN, NFL.com or CBS Sports.

I'm not saying Coleman is perfect or without flaws.   But he's got plenty going for him that makes him a quality back.

2nd or maybe even 3rd round depending on how things shake out.    Depends on how many teams are willing to spend a high pick on a RB and how teams see the 2nd tier which I view as Coleman , Ajayi, Johnson and Abdullah (in no particular order)

I've watched him extensively multiple times. I'm not going to let other people make my opinion for me.

Fine.

But roughly a month ago you called him a 4th rounder.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, he's higher on your board in terms of draft pick projection.....

And I think that's good that you're willing to re-consider....

Fine.

But roughly a month ago you called him a 4th rounder.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, he's higher on your board in terms of draft pick projection.....

I still think he's a 4th round talent. But I think he'll go in round 3. Big difference.

The fact he showed up at 206 hurts him more.

He used his speed and blown assignments to get huge chunks. From what I saw he didn't read defenses real well, just ran to where the play was designed and if it's there turn it on, if not lower your head and get a yard or two. I like Duke Johnson so much better. He can run and catch, but even better is his YAC and his ability to read defenses. Duke at 61 with a goor OLB at 29..

First of all Donald Brown's stats were FINE ...   WHEN HE P.layed.....    

Donald's issue was health?  So if YOUR issue with Brown is health then ...  ok..   I can see it..

BUIT...  WHEN Brown played he SHINED.   ..    So........????

You and I just disagree about how effective Donald Brown was, that's all. That's fine. He was nothing more than a change of pace back who didn't put together a solid season until his last year here. OK in a committee but not the work horse back he was expected to be and certainly not worth a first rounder.

Really? I disagree. Coleman looks like a straight runner and can lack the cut back. He's being compared to Daren McFadden from NFL draft page. But who knows. Hopefully he's better than Richardson.

That is one of his strengths

I still think he's a 4th round talent. But I think he'll go in round 3. Big difference.

The fact he showed up at 206 hurts him more.

4 pounds lighter than his listed weight.    I think you're reading way too much into way too little.

As to thinking he's a 4th round talent,  ask yourself this......   how often does a back with his physical gifts last to the 4th round?  Answer?    Almost never.

What's the difference between Coleman and Ajayi and Johnson and Abdullah.   The last two are also around the same weight.  And all three of them are viewed as 2nd round talents.     Are you really going to try and argue that Coleman, coming off a 2,000 yard season in which he was IU's only real weapon is worth two rounds less?    Seriously?     I don't know why you'd do that....?

You could have Ajayi ranked in the mid-30's... a top of the 2nd round talent,  and have Coleman in the 90's, a bottom of the 3rd round.   A span of roughly 60-65 players,  almost two full rounds.    But no,  somehow you think he's not a top-100 guy.   Just saying that alone should make you feel uncomfortable.

Don't let pride skew your judgement.....

And that's really the most important thing with RB's, or at least one of the most important things. Hitting the hole fast and having good vision. It's what makes RB such a plug and play position. And although I like guy like Abdullah or Cobb for their power running, maybe Coleman is what the Colt's need.

We're probably never going to be a power run team like we wanted, but the playoffs showed we have our own model of a "running game". Outside stretches, pitches, and check downs. We don't have to have some big bruising runner who just powers through the line. We can have a more speed based and elusive runner. Also go to about 1:05 in that video and you see that Coleman puts a defender on the ground in pass protection.

I wasn't a fan early on, but after research I wouldn't be upset at Coleman in the 2nd round.

The reason why I actually think Coleman is a good fit for the Colts centers around your statement "We're probably never going to be a power run team like we wanted".  Not that I don't see the line getting fixed because I do. My reason is more centered around us having so many options at wide receiver and tight end. As long as that is the case, this team will attempt to establish the run, but I think it's likely we will favor more passing sets to have all our strengths on the field at one time.  It wouldn't shock me at all to see many of our runs coming out of the Shotgun.  

The way Coleman was used at Indiana with most of his runs coming out of the Shotgun and Pistol formations it's perfect for how this team is built.  The Colts can take much of what he did in college and apply that style of running into the game.  If the Patriots(or whomever) decide to go heavy on defensive backs to double up on our WRs, Coleman is a guy you can make great use of in those situations.  His speed and the way he attacks the hole will allow you to run more successfully out of these formations against more favorable personnel, while loosening up the coverage for the play action pass.

Now I must say I'm still hoping we also make a strong run at Frank Gore. I think Coleman and Gore would make a good tandem together when we do decide to run the football the traditional way.

Dallas will draft Gordon he brings the most hype and we know how much Jerry loves the spotlight.

They are going to let Murray go. At the beginning of last year they were questioning if Murray was the back of the future in Dallas because he couldn't stay healthy.

I would stay away from Gurley that knee bothers me I hate drafting players coming off of injuries especially early.

I personally like Ajayi think he would be the best fit for the Colts and may end up being the best RB in this class. That being said RB is so deep I would not use a high pick on any of them. If he was there in the 3rd I would take a long look might pull the trigger depending on who is on the board

Realistically how many backs are going in the top 100? I don't think there is a huge drop in talent from 1 to 10 and it won't matter much anyway if we don't get an  O Line blowing people off the ball.

As of late I've come to appreciate Coleman a little more. Realistically the way the Colts are so quick to jump into passing formations I think most of our runs will come that way.  Coleman is more fit for that type of running.  I like Ajayi okay, but I get a bit of a T Rich/Legarrett Blount type of feel from him.  Not sure if we need just a pure power guy, but I do think Ajayi can play.

Dallas will draft Gordon he brings the most hype and we know how much Jerry loves the spotlight.

They are going to let Murray go. At the beginning of last year they were questioning if Murray was the back of the future in Dallas because he couldn't stay healthy.

I would stay away from Gurley that knee bothers me I hate drafting players coming off of injuries especially early.

I personally like Ajayi think he would be the best fit for the Colts and may end up being the best RB in this class. That being said RB is so deep I would not use a high pick on any of them. If he was there in the 3rd I would take a long look might pull the trigger depending on who is on the board

Realistically how many backs are going in the top 100? I don't think there is a huge drop in talent from 1 to 10 and it won't matter much anyway if we don't get an  O Line blowing people off the ball.

As of late I've come to appreciate Coleman a little more. Realistically the way the Colts are so quick to jump into passing formations I think most of our runs will come that way.  Coleman is more fit for that type of running.  I like Ajayi okay, but I get a bit of a T Rich/Legarrett Blount type of feel from him.  Not sure if we need just a pure power guy, but I do think Ajayi can play.

4 pounds lighter than his listed weight.    I think you're reading way too much into way too little.

As to thinking he's a 4th round talent,  ask yourself this......   how often does a back with his physical gifts last to the 4th round?  Answer?    Almost never.

What's the difference between Coleman and Ajayi and Johnson and Abdullah.   The last two are also around the same weight.  And all three of them are viewed as 2nd round talents.     Are you really going to try and argue that Coleman, coming off a 2,000 yard season in which he was IU's only real weapon is worth two rounds less?    Seriously?     I don't know why you'd do that....?

You could have Ajayi ranked in the mid-30's... a top of the 2nd round talent,  and have Coleman in the 90's, a bottom of the 3rd round.   A span of roughly 60-65 players,  almost two full rounds.    But no,  somehow you think he's not a top-100 guy.   Just saying that alone should make you feel uncomfortable.

Don't let pride skew your judgement.....

"how often does a back with his physical gifts last to the 4th round?  Answer?    Almost never."

Physical gifts are great but there are tons of Backs who have went in the 4th or later because they did not excel in other areas.....Some had tunnel vision for example, Some showed very little shift in there runs instead were what I call "darter" type Backs. Multiple Backs in this draft have physical gifts...Some are more shifty then Coleman, Some run with more power, some are faster. Just depends on what a team sees