Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The nfl needs to fix how the draft order is determined

Cribbsfaircatch

We're basically being punished for beating Den in Denver. We should be picking before Den and Dallas. The playoffs shouldn't matter, it should be based on reg season.

It's the NFL who voted on this.....   which means it came with the approval of all 32 teams.

Personally,   I don't like it and agree with you,  but I don't see the NFL fixing this.     I don't think they think it's wrong.

:dunno: I Dunno, arguments could be made for and against your point.

I don't understand how anyone can be against this. Every pick before the playoff teams are determined by record, that shouldn't change in the playoffs. Dallas whooped us in head 2 head and had a better record, yet we pick after them. You shouldnt be punished for advancing in the playoffs.

I don't understand how anyone can be against this. Every pick before the playoff teams are determined by record, that shouldn't change in the playoffs. Dallas whooped us in head 2 head and had a better record, yet we pick after them. You shouldnt be punished for advancing in the playoffs.

Lets say you have 4 teams that are 12-4 at that end of the year. How would you determine their spots?

The same way you determine it when you have four 8-8 teams.

OK, I don't know how they do that. I'm not arguing for or against changing it by the way. It seems logical to me tho, that even if we had one less win than Denver and we beat them in the playoffs, we should pick after them. I think there is some validity that if you beat a team head to head that logically the winner is the better team. I know we lost to Denver early in the season but I think it would be unfair to have this scenario: 10-6 or 9-7 team win the Super Bowl and still select ahead of 6 teams in the draft. That doesn't seem fair to me.

The only problem I have with the way the draft is determined is that I believe the compensatory selections need to go.  I don't mind the final 12 picks being determined by how far you go in the playoffs.

They add 32 picks for compensatory selections anyways. . . why not just add an 8th round?  

The only problem I have with the way the draft is determined is that I believe the compensatory selections need to go.  I don't mind the final 12 picks being determined by how far you go in the playoffs.

They add 32 picks for compensatory selections anyways. . . why not just add an 8th round?  

Because the comp picks are given at different levels to "compensate" for supposed losses of players. So, adding an 8th round isn't like a team getting a 4th round and 5th round selection if they lost 2 key free agents.

Lets say you have 4 teams that are 12-4 at that end of the year. How would you determine their spots?

Assuming these teams didnt play ged2head, then playoff results should determine it. The teams I namedhad better overall records in the reg season than us. So I see a huge difference.

I also disagree when a wild card team won the super bowl and had to pick last. If u finish w/ the best record and lose early, its your own fault. You should pivk last imo.

Playoff wins are harder than regular season wins. Therefore, the further you progress in the playoffs the better the team you are. I don't see how this is even up for discussion.

There is no way the Colts are a better team than the heathy Broncos or Cowboys. A reg season is 16 gms of evidence. Anyone can get hot for a couple gms. Thats why the goal is to just get in tge playoffs, because anything can happen once you're there and its 1and done

Because the comp picks are given at different levels to "compensate" for supposed losses of players. So, adding an 8th round isn't like a team getting a 4th round and 5th round selection if they lost 2 key free agents.

It's your job to keep your free agents in house if you want to keep them.  Why should you get rewarded for failing to re-sign someone??

It's your job to keep your free agents in house if you want to keep them.  Why should you get rewarded for failing to re-sign someone??

I don't mind the Comp picks. If you are a team that is tight against the cap and you lose 3 or 4 free agents and can only afford to sign a couple then I think it's OK, in the sense of competitive balance, to fork out a couple of draft picks to try to help maintain a completitve balance.

We're basically being punished for beating Den in Denver. We should be picking before Den and Dallas. The playoffs shouldn't matter, it should be based on reg season.

You have a point as Carolina was 7-8-1. They will be picking behind a bunch of teams that had 8 wins or more just because they made the playoffs and won the wild card game.

Going strictly by reg. season W's can be misleading.

Even tho the Colts played 6 games vs weak divisional teams they did play every AFC north team which happened to be the best division in the entire NFL.

They also played 3 other playoff qualifiers besides those AFC north playoff qualifiers.

The only thing I would like to change with the draft is an NBA like lottery for 5 (say) teams out of the bottom 10 to get an extra 3rd round compensatory pick and the remaining to get a 4th round compensatory pick.

The reason I am saying is this. Bad teams are bad for several reasons and the compensatory picks generally go to the better teams who know to draft better or have a better core of players they are benefiting from due to which they can let go of a quality player in free agency and get a compensatory pick.

So, the chances are, once the good team has hit on its franchise QB and has its established set of core players, for a decade, they could be benefiting with 3rd or 4th round compensatory picks, it is theoretically possible. Plus, the odds are very high that the good team will make it work with an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

This might level the playing field a bit, IMO. Thoughts??

There is no way the Colts are a better team than the heathy Broncos or Cowboys. A reg season is 16 gms of evidence. Anyone can get hot for a couple gms. Thats why the goal is to just get in tge playoffs, because anything can happen once you're there and its 1and done

So what? That's the way the cookie crumbles. There are a lot more issues to whine about than this. The bottom line is once you make the playoffs it's the last man standing. That's the way the draft is set up and there is zero wrong with it.

The only thing I would like to change with the draft is an NBA like lottery for 5 (say) teams out of the bottom 10 to get an extra 3rd round compensatory pick and the remaining to get a 4th round compensatory pick.

The reason I am saying is this. Bad teams are bad for several reasons and the compensatory picks generally go to the better teams who know to draft better or have a better core of players they are benefiting from due to which they can let go of a quality player in free agency and get a compensatory pick.

So, the chances are, once the good team has hit on its franchise QB and has its established set of core players, for a decade, they could be benefiting with 3rd or 4th round compensatory picks, it is theoretically possible. Plus, the odds are very high that the good team will make it work with an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

How about we add a losers bracket and the bottom 4 teams play it out for the number 1 pick lol!!! No, I see where your going with that but honestly do you think a team that gets the top picks in the draft like Cleveland etc over and over and still can't build a winning franchise is going to somehow get better because of a mid-rd pick??? No, they will pick a scrub and still be bad. Teams just need to do a better job...and I don't want to reward losing. Besides, football is the most competitively balanced league we have....don't ruin it. I don't mind a lottery system for the bottom 4 teams and seed the rest. I also think record should count unless you win the SB....then everyone else gets placed by w/l....that way if you go on an incredible run you aren't penalized in draft status. If you win the SB...who cares lol...your the best team.

I look at the NBA and MLB and those teams REALLY tank it...I couldn't stand to watch that in the NFL. When we had our bad year I never thought we packed it in...honestly we played hard every week imo...we were just decimated by injuries and a bad team covered up by Peytons brilliance.

I don't understand why anyone has a problem with the way it is. Once a team makes the playoffs it's down to the last one standing. The order of the draft is determined by that. If you team don't make the playoffs you have an earlier pick. Then it just goes right on down the line as teams lose. There is zero wrong with this. I guess the off season brings anything and everything out to be whined about.

The only thing I would like to change with the draft is an NBA like lottery for 5 (say) teams out of the bottom 10 to get an extra 3rd round compensatory pick and the remaining to get a 4th round compensatory pick.

I like it. Small changes like this make a ton of difference. Just look at how much parity a rookie cap brought

The draft order is, and should be, determined by where teams finish...at the end of the season. It is not, nor should it be, determined by where teams finish with 1/5 of the season still remaining for top teams.

The teams that suck get pick 1-20. That is where they finished at the end of THEIR season. The top 12 keep playing and it works the same way for them. 

I see nothing wrong with this system.

The Colts weren't punished for beating Denver, they were rewarded with another AFC Finalist banner. 

This is an interesting and pretty original idea. 

I mean, those lottery teams would probably still screw up using those extra 3rd rounders, but... 

haha

The NFL wants parity. If a team goes deeper into the playoffs, that's another televised, revenue-generating game for that team. Even if it's on the road. 

I think if they had their way there would be 12 new teams in the playoffs every year. 

This is an interesting and pretty original idea.

I mean, those lottery teams would probably still screw up using those extra 3rd rounders, but...

haha

That's my thing. Bad teams are generally bad because they don't draft well. You're basically just giving them more opportunities to mess up.

That's my thing. Bad teams are generally bad because they don't draft well. You're basically just giving them more opportunities to mess up.

Yes, but then you have bad coaching and bad QB play that holds teams back too for a period of typically 5 years a lot of times, not just bad drafting. A team like the 49ers with Mike Singletary or a team like the Jaguars that plays hard with talent but short on QB production, I am sure we can all find several examples.

Yes, we give them an extra draft pick to mess up but odds are good that even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes :). Plus, you have the financial impact of those lottery teams having to shell out higher contracts to higher 1st round picks, higher 2nd round picks and so on..hence the compensatory pick idea to help them out.

Yes, but then you have bad coaching and bad QB play that holds teams back too for a period of typically 5 years a lot of times, not just bad drafting. A team like the 49ers with Mike Singletary or a team like the Jaguars that plays hard with talent but short on QB production, I am sure we can all find several examples.

Yes, we give them an extra draft pick to mess up but odds are good that even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes :). Plus, you have the financial impact of those lottery teams having to shell out higher contracts to higher 1st round picks, higher 2nd round picks and so on..hence the compensatory pick idea to help them out.

100% no lie... I saw this AFTER I responded above, lol....

I was mostly being facetious. Although, some teams can't get out of their own way, like the Jaguars taking Brian Anger ahead of Russell Wilson. Do we want to give that team an extra third rounder? Would they draft a quality control coach?

My real objection is that the NFL already provides bad teams with favorable draft position. Your plan gives them more welfare, and might even encourage tanking. Also, if they're worried about the extra $10m over four years between a top 5 pick in the first round and a 25 or later, they can always trade down. But the talent difference can be pretty drastic, and they need the best players they can get.

I just think the real difference between bad teams and good teams, besides having franchise QBs, is good decision making, good drafting, good cap management, etc. Yeah, coaching is important, but adding draft picks won't help there.