Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Gruden named RG III starting QB

SouthernCal

The doubters only emerged after seeing his horrible play. According to his coach (if you read between the lines), he has no pocket presence and very bad mechanics . According to you , the bad play is due to injuries. Anyway , all I said was it's too early to be giving you kudos. Right .. ?

The doubters were around before he was even drafted. That same coach has now come out in support of him. And you said more than just the kudos comment, which is why I addressed everything else in my last post.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The doubters were around before he was even drafted. That same coach has now come out in support of him. And you said more than just the kudos comment, which is why I addressed everything else in my last post.

Don't you ever get tired of fighting with everyone ? You've pretty much never been right about anything

Don't you ever get tired of fighting with everyone ? You've pretty much never been right about anything

Ironic. You're the one who picks fights with everyone and baits people, this very post is evidence of that. I'm right more often then not actually.

Ironic. You're the one who picks fights with everyone and baits people, this very post is evidence of that. I'm right more often then not actually.

LOL on that one. I can't think of anything you've been right on. Schaub > Luck. RG3 franchise QB. Manziel great prospect. You are batting right around zero and now want to claim you were right on RG3.. thats really laughable . Every post of yours is conformational and I only have issues with people that think they are cute enough to insult Colt fans and their team . You fit the bill.

LOL on that one. I can't think of anything you've been right on. Schaub > Luck. RG3 franchise QB. Manziel great prospect. You are batting right around zero and now want to claim you were right on RG3.. thats really laughable . Every post of yours is conformational and I only have issues with people that think they are cute enough to insult Colt fans and their team . You fit the bill.

he also thinks Jay Cutler is a good qb

Take a long walk on a short pier. I haven't mentioned the Colts at all in weeks. Go get a life.

He will pretty much endorse anything that discredits Luck or the Colts. That's why every discussion he has is confrontational unless it's with someone like am football or another NE fan.

Show me an example. Because you're talking out of your behind right now.....again. But that's just the usual.

I haven't heard anything about it. And I'm surprised you haven't started another RG Thread on it if Jay Gruden has come out and criticized his quarterback again.

This is from what you call the coach "endorsing him."  

Robert obviously is a hard worker,” Gruden said. “He works hard on his body and his strength and I think we’ll have some things drawn up for him, specific things that he can do to get better from a quarterback position – mechanic-wise, drop-back-wise, throwing-wise

http://forums.colts.com/topic/35933-jay-gruden-named-rg-iii-starting-qb/page-3#entry1042105

This is from what you call the coach "endorsing him."

Robert obviously is a hard worker,” Gruden said. “He works hard on his body and his strength and I think we’ll have some things drawn up for him, specific things that he can do to get better from a quarterback position – mechanic-wise, drop-back-wise, throwing-wise

http://forums.colts.com/topic/35933-jay-gruden-named-rg-iii-starting-qb/page-3#entry1042105

I don't see how this is a big deal. There isn't a player in the NFL who can't get better or who doesn't have something in their game that they can work on.

I don't see how this is a big deal. There isn't a player in the NFL who can't get better or who doesn't have something in their game that they can work on.

I didn't say it was a big deal. What you said is Gruden mentioned his drop was bad after RG3 had played 33 plays. That could by someone with an IQ of over 75 seem to mean that maybe it's not an issue anymore as you go on to say how he's been "endoresed" by his coach. What I'm pointing out is that Gruden appears to think it's still an issue

I didn't say it was a big deal. What you said is Gruden mentioned his drop was bad after RG3 had played 33 plays. That could by someone with an IQ of over 75 seem to mean that maybe it's not an issue anymore as you go on to say how he's been "endoresed" by his coach. What I'm pointing out is that Gruden appears to think it's still an issue

I was leaning more towards thinking that Gruden was over-exaggerating....it must run in the family. When I say endorsed I'm speaking more about the fact that Gruden came out and said that they are rolling with Griff in '15....because he didn't have to do that.

Well, you know what they say about people getting bitter when they get older...

I've nothing to be bitter about. Life is good.. live within a 15 minute walk to the Pacific. Retired , nice family , bunch of checks come in every month... not a care in the world. Who is "they" that say I'm bitter.

I was leaning more towards thinking that Gruden was over-exaggerating....it must run in the family. When I say endorsed I'm speaking more about the fact that Gruden came out and said that they are rolling with Griff in '15....because he didn't have to do that.

I really do think that whole organization dislikes what they've seen from RG3 . Shanahan has come out and pretty much said he's a problem. The Gruden throws him under the bus after a game or two. Putting all this nonsense we are throwing around right now .. it does appear that this kid has alienated two coaches in 3 years. I'm not sure they have made the decision to roll with RG3 in 2015. All I read into this is that as of now , he's ahead of the other QB's on the roster.

I've nothing to be bitter about. Life is good.. live within a 15 minute walk to the Pacific. Retired , nice family , bunch of checks come in every month... not a care in the world. Who is "they" that say I'm bitter.

I've been around enough retired people to know that there can still be bitterness. Some people can have all the money in the world and still want to tear down others. And that's any age, honestly.

I really do think that whole organization dislikes what they've seen from RG3 . Shanahan has come out and pretty much said he's a problem. The Gruden throws him under the bus after a game or two. Putting all this nonsense we are throwing around right now .. it does appear that this kid has alienated two coaches in 3 years. I'm not sure they have made the decision to roll with RG3 in 2015. All I read into this is that as of now , he's ahead of the other QB's on the roster.

That may be the case...I guess we won't find out till September though :)

I've been around enough retired people to know that there can still be bitterness. Some people can have all the money in the world and still want to tear down others. And that's any age, honestly.

So I take that to mean I'm not bitter just because I'm old. That's good to know. And I don't have all the money in the world , my point is I have a good life with nothing tone stressed or "bitter" about. If you would like to add up your post and divide that # into how many are confrontational , I'm game. It will be a dominating %

I hardly think he deserves any "kudos" for his RG3 assessments over the past couple of years. He has been nothing short of terrible. Because his coach ,who obviously thinks he's terrible , has named him the starter over Cousins who has proved to be even worse and a noodle armed midget , really says nothing. If Washington signs a free agent , RG3 will drop to #2 ...book that one. I would suspect that they draft another QB and RG3 will indeed go into training camp as the #1. 

I will give Kudos when he proves to be a top NFL QB not for being ahead of Cousins and McCoy in the middle of Feb. 

Did you think the Skins would name RG the starter now? It is shocking and I think something Qwiz deserves credit for as he did maintain that RG was their best bet. I do wonder though if this is just a PR move to stem the tide of questions around the QB position. As we discussed last year, what Gruden did hanging RG out to dry with his critical assessment of his game did nothing for him or the Skins. He pretty much painted himself into a corner as the Skins have no other viable option. Who are they going to sign to replace RG? McCown? Beg Orton out of retirement? Given what the Skins gave up for RG they have to stick with him and he did show some decent game last year at times.

Shanny talked a lot about Snyder too and how he empowered RG to be a spoiled brat who made demands. I am not trying to absolve RG as he is his own man but when you have an owner telling a 22 year old second overall pick in the draft that he can make demands on the HC then you have major issues. A shame really as what Shanny did the first year with him was spectacular but once the knee injury happened everything diverged away from what was successful.

Did you think the Skins would name RG the starter now? It is shocking and I think something Qwiz deserves credit for as he did maintain that RG was their best bet. I do wonder though if this is just a PR move to stem the tide of questions around the QB position. As we discussed last year, what Gruden did hanging RG out to dry with his critical assessment of his game did nothing for him or the Skins. He pretty much painted himself into a corner as the Skins have no other viable option. Who are they going to sign to replace RG? McCown? Beg Orton out of retirement? Given what the Skins gave up for RG they have to stick with him and he did show some decent game last year at times.

The RG3 discussion , IMO , is about those that said he couldn't play the position from the pocket and those who said he was not a bust and had star qualities He was effective in that college type offense his rookie year and then was asked to play the position like other effective NFL starters. Two reasons for this transition. 

1) He proved he was not able to stay on the field running that type offense.

2) The NFL quickly learned how to stop that nonsense.

What we saw in the subsequent two years was a guy that can't make reads , has no pocket presence and has terrible mechanics. Now there was a subsequent discussion that some thought Cousins was a better QB . What I said about that was if the Skins were in contention and Cousins had played well , he would probably keep the job when RG 3 was healthy. Myself and many others took that stance. Quiz said that RG3 was the guy there and he would get his job back regardless of how ell Cousin's played. Well Cousin's crapped the bed and Washington was in the cellar and they gave RG3 his job back . He proceeded to crap the bed and even lose the starting job to COLT McCOY !!!!  He subsequently got it back when Colt was inured. He did in all fairness play a little better . So as you see , I not only have a steel trap for a memory but I'm also fair.

Anyway , you make unfounded statements regarding how Gruden " did nothing for him or the skins." and then say Quiz deserves "kudos" for his statements concerning RG3. You can only go by what you here and see. What I see is a bad QB and what I hear is a coach who says he didn't even learn the playbook in the offseason and who also says the guy needs to improve on his reads , pocket presence and mechanics. So somebody like me , who said this guy was in trouble even after year 1 , owes kudos to Quiz ? 

There is very seldom a QB available in free agency that is a long term answer. Could be that Cutler is available and the rest are backups. I also don't know who they like in the draft. I do agree that RG3 is the best option on their current roster. I don't know

what they are going to do at the position and I also don't think RG3 ever turns into the answer for that franchise as he has no pocket presence (ghosts in the pocket) , has terrible mechanics and has trouble recognizing where he should be throwing the football. Maybe if had had stuck his face in a playbook rather than stuffing his mouth with a sandwich in the offseason , he would be further along after 3 years. 

The RG3 discussion , IMO , is about those that said he couldn't play the position from the pocket and those who said he was not a bust and had star qualities He was effective in that college type offense his rookie year and then was asked to play the position like other effective NFL starters. Two reasons for this transition. 

1) He proved he was not able to stay on the field running that type offense.

2) The NFL quickly learned how to stop that nonsense.

What we saw in the subsequent two years was a guy that can't make reads , has no pocket presence and has terrible mechanics. Now there was a subsequent discussion that some thought Cousins was a better QB . What I said about that was if the Skins were in contention and Cousins had played well , he would probably keep the job when RG 3 was healthy. Myself and many others took that stance. Quiz said that RG3 was the guy there and he would get his job back regardless of how ell Cousin's played. Well Cousin's crapped the bed and Washington was in the cellar and they gave RG3 his job back . He proceeded to crap the bed and even lose the starting job to COLT McCOY !!!!  He subsequently got it back when Colt was inured. He did in all fairness play a little better . So as you see , I not only have a steel trap for a memory but I'm also fair.

Anyway , you make unfounded statements regarding how Gruden " did nothing for him or the skins." and then say Quiz deserves "kudos" for his statements concerning RG3. You can only go by what you here and see. What I see is a bad QB and what I hear is a coach who says he didn't even learn the playbook in the offseason and who also says the guy needs to improve on his reads , pocket presence and mechanics. So somebody like me , who said this guy was in trouble even after year 1 , owes kudos to Quiz ? 

I think Kaep has similar issues from the pocket. This could be his worst season without Harbaugh. We'll see.

Not sure what to tell you regarding RG. He is their best option which isn't saying a whole lot but they also gave up the most for him. My Gruden comment had more to do with the fact that I thought the Skins made a poor hire when they brought him on and his criticism involving RG only proved that. Now he is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have to give it a go with RG as there are no other prospects for them and Snyder is not going to spend any more picks reaching for another QB either in the draft or trading with another team.

Qwiz was right in saying RG would be the starter there. That is what the kudos was for. I have not been following all of the other threads between you two on the subject of RG but it is fair to say that many were both wrong and right about him. The story continues ...

There is very seldom a QB available in free agency that is a long term answer. Could be that Cutler is available and the rest are backups. I also don't know who they like in the draft. I do agree that RG3 is the best option on their current roster. I don't know

what they are going to do at the position and I also don't think RG3 ever turns into the answer for that franchise as he has no pocket presence (ghosts in the pocket) , has terrible mechanics and has trouble recognizing where he should be throwing the football. Maybe if had had stuck his face in a playbook rather than stuffing his mouth with a sandwich in the offseason , he would be further along after 3 years. 

I think he is mentally fragile as well which is why DC has ate him up and a poor teammate. Those two things are far worse to me in the grand scheme as he can work on his game and improve but the other stuff is who he is. Not saying he can't change but those things are far harder just ask Vince Young.

I think Kaep has similar issues from the pocket. This could be his worst season without Harbaugh. We'll see.

Not sure what to tell you regarding RG. He is their best option which isn't saying a whole lot but they also gave up the most for him. My Gruden comment had more to do with the fact that I thought the Skins made a poor hire when they brought him on and his criticism involving RG only proved that. Now he is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have to give it a go with RG as there are no other prospects for them and Snyder is not going to spend any more picks reaching for another QB either in the draft or trading with another team.

Qwiz was right in saying RG would be the starter there. That is what the kudos was for. I have not been following all of the other threads between you two on the subject of RG but it is fair to say that many were both wrong and right about him. The story continues ...

First of all , he hasn't started a game yet in 2015 to my knowledge anyway. Secondly , this is not something that RG3 has earned , it's something that Washington is stuck with. When you give up 3 first and a second , you usually don't have the luxury of a viable option. If Cousins did not totally implode , we would not be seeing this "announcement." It's 99.9 % due to Cousin's stinking than to what RG3 did on the playing field. But whatever ... Kudos to everyone that thought Cousin's stinks. Great call.

First of all , he hasn't started a game yet in 2015 to my knowledge anyway. Secondly , this is not something that RG3 has earned , it's something that Washington is stuck with. When you give up 3 first and a second , you usually don't have the luxury of a viable option. If Cousins did not totally implode , we would not be seeing this "announcement." It's 99.9 % due to Cousin's stinking than to what RG3 did on the playing field. But whatever ... Kudos to everyone that thought Cousin's stinks. Great call.

Sometimes being the least lousy player on the team is an achievement. lol. I agree about Feb. Not sure where things will be at come TC and Sept but I do think this was a smart call from a Comms standpoint. Quell the noise so the team can concentrate on the off-season and getting better all around. 

Sometimes being the least lousy player on the team is an achievement. lol. I agree about Feb. Not sure where things will be at come TC and Sept but I do think this was a smart call from a Comms standpoint. Quell the noise so the team can concentrate on the off-season and getting better all around. 

Yes and what no one is mentioning is that they (Wash) does not want to totally burn the bridge with RG3. They can't possibly elect to do the 5th year option on him . This decision is due a few days before the draft takes place. So RG3 will have played out his rookie deal. I think it's smart to try to stand behind him in the event he does significantly improve his play. Unless you have a plan to move on from him , you would like the chance to resign him at whatever his market value would appear to be after the 2015 season. Plus what's the point of not trying to bolster his confidence if he indeed is the guy for this year. All you sacrifice is alienating Cousins. Add that to what you have above