Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Gruden named RG III starting QB

SouthernCal

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12343308

For the Redskins next year.

""We'll go into the season with Robert as our No. 1 guy," Gruden said. "It's up to Robert to continue to grow and mature as a quarterback and as a person. Moving forward we want to see improvement. It's up to us as a staff to get more out of him."

RG3 needs to do well next year or he's done as a redskin. The bonus/contract (18 mill I think? Or is that something else like his clause) is going to be the factor.

Edit: I listened to Greg Cosell's take on RG3 a couple months ago and he said something relating to RG3's QB ability as if it's not going to work.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I'm not only talking about RGIII (who is horrible), but all 3 qbs. None will get you anywhere. Keep 1 of them because they know the playbook (I would keep Colt as he is decent and you might get a mid round pick for Griffin and a lower mid round pick for Cousins). Then draft a qb like Bryce Petty or Garrett Grayson as well as sign a veteran qb like Sanchez or Bradford. Hopefully, someone emerges from that mess as a decent starter.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh another trash Griffin thread!!

Here's how I think of this: If Griffin were as good as Luck for the Redskins and Luck was struggling like Griffin for the Colts, the Redskins forum would have plenty of threads trashing Andrew Luck. It just so happens they got the short end of the stick. It's Griffin's fault really, I just feel bad for the Redskins fans that know he's bad and now will have to suffer through another year of him.

he's earned it

That entire organization has, Its not exclusive to him...Some of it is but the media really overplays it, They need to stick with a QB for the duration of his contract and let him try to build something rather then yanking him after a bad game or two, Let him play through the ups and down(There were clear signs of ups)....Also outside of LT get that man whoever he will be a respectable O Line, Redskins kept changing players in and out trying to find something with young talent that needs time to grow, Let them grow until such time as you clearly have better

Yeah, I had a hard time running the read option too. I eventually stopped running it. I couldn't even run it with Kap that well.

Yeah RGIII will probably have a bad to mediocre year. That read option won't work and he has too many problems to fix IMO. He's the definition of a "project qb". He was the product of an Art Briles Baylor system that hid his weaknesses, and the Redskins took the bait. I wish it was the Jaguars or another AFC team that took him with all those picks instead of an NFC team. That was the bust of the Century so far IMO. 

BTW, if Kap can't do the read option in Madden, no one can!

That entire organization has, Its not exclusive to him...Some of it is but the media really overplays it, They need to stick with a QB for the duration of his contract and let him try to build something rather then yanking him after a bad game or two, Let him play through the ups and down(There were clear signs of ups)....Also outside of LT get that man whoever he will be a respectable O Line, Redskins kept changing players in and out trying to find something with young talent that needs time to grow, Let them grow until such time as you clearly have better

None of that explains why he didn't know the playbook. Gruden said he was taking a three step drop on plays that called for five. Calling wrong audibles etc. All that is on him

None of that explains why he didn't know the playbook. Gruden said he was taking a three step drop on plays that called for five. Calling wrong audibles etc. All that is on him

I know but he had some good last year to, 6 of 7 starts last year he had a 64% or better completion percentage, 3 of those games he threw for 250+ yards passing, Im not saying he will get better, Im saying they simply don't have a clear cut better option

You all know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I'm not only talking about RGIII (who is horrible), but all 3 qbs. None will get you anywhere. Keep 1 of them because they know the playbook (I would keep Colt as he is decent and you might get a mid round pick for Griffin and a lower mid round pick for Cousins). Then draft a qb like Bryce Petty or Garrett Grayson as well as sign a veteran qb like Sanchez or Bradford. Hopefully, someone emerges from that mess as a decent starter.

No it isn't.

Good for Robert. The Redskins drafted him to be their future and he can still be their franchise quarterback for many years to come.

I'm gonna be honest here QuizBoy. What shocks me most is this: Kids who grew up in military families usually have a good head on their shoulders & they don't usually unravel easily. Did his injury set him back as in this is the first time he was seriously hurt playing football or did the hero worship in D.C. as the Redskins QB go to his head & his ego got the best of him? I have no answers here; I'm just thinking outloud. 

RG3's downfall was so swift that it felt bizarre to me from Playoffs in his rookie year to his career in Virginia is in jeopardy in 2015. Whoa...

I'm gonna be honest here QuizBoy. What shocks me most is this: Kids who grew up in military families usually have a good head on their shoulders & they don't usually unravel easily. Did his injury set him back as in this is the first time he was seriously hurt playing football or did the hero worship in D.C. as the Redskins QB go to his head & his ego got the best of him? I have no answers here; I'm just thinking outloud. 

RG3's downfall was so swift that it felt bizarre to me from Playoffs in his rookie year to his career in Virginia is in jeopardy in 2015. Whoa...

A bad case of bad luck combined with a highly public case of a bad coaching situation resulted in turmoil his second year. His third year he got hurt again but played better when he finally got back. Next season he can prove his worth.

how am I wrong? You think johnny and bob are franchise qbs, they aren't

I was talking about your defending of the definition of insanity. Clearly because Einstein said so it must be true. I'm not getting into this QB stuff with you again, I'm not a dog trying to chase my tail.

A bad case of bad luck combined with a highly public case of a bad coaching situation resulted in turmoil his second year. His third year he got hurt again but played better when he finally got back. Next season he can prove his worth.

The good news is that RG3 knows that Daniel Snyder isn't going to give him serious money unless he proves his value to the Skins organization & that Coach Gruden isn't going to coddle him. 

My point here is that it's a sink or swim situation now & all parties involved know that the expectations for success are high with no room for excuses. I will give him a fair shot to re-invent himself but given how far Luck has come in the same 2012 draft class as RG3, he's got a lot to prove to his coach, his owner, his teammates, & himself. Time will tell.