Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You be the GM

You have only 20 mil to spend in free agency, as the rest (roughly 23 mil) will go towards future extensions to current Colts players, resigning our own, and draft picks.

Be realistic with your signings...

Mine are...

NT Haloti Ngata (3 years, 24 mil) - Pagano wants his big stud on the DL, and Ngata can still be very good for another 3-4 years. I do think there is a solid chance he is cut since the Ravens are hurting in cap space.

- 13 mil left

SS Bernard Pollard (2 years, 5 mil) - Another ex Raven brought in to give some toughness at the safety position. This move also hopefully helps get us past the Pats since he's been a Patriots killer in his career.

- 10 mil left

OLB Tamba Hali (3 years, 24 mil) - Gives us a proven pass rusher who would also add some much needed size at the LB position. We could cut Eric Walden after making this signing since Hali plays the same position. Mathis and Newsome can share rush LB duties while Hali and Werner would share strong side OLB duties.)

- 3 mil left

RG Clint Boling (3 years, 9 mil) - Underrated OG for Cincinnati, could compete for the starting RG spot right away or be great depth in case of injury. Thornton needs to sit and learn.

- 0 remaining

Draft...

This is the draft I would do, not necessarily what I think will happen...

1- OT La'el Collins - Could start at RG right away, and move to RT in 2016 allowing the Colts to cut Cherilus who will count for 10 mil against the cap.

2- ILB Denzel Perryman - Gives us our ILB to pair with Freeman for the future.

3- RB Jay Ajayi - He might not last quite this long, but he would be a great pick in the 3rd round and can do it all at RB. He is great with vision and catching as well.

4- DE Henry Anderson - Adds more talent to the DL, and could challenge RJF for the DE position. Jones, Redding, RJF, and Anderson would be a good DE rotation.)

5- SS Durrell Eskridge - Big bodied safety who is still raw, but if Pagano coaches him up could be a real steal and a force at SS)

6- CB Jacorey Sheppard - Good depth pick and could be another steal late.

6- WR Justin Hardy - Probably won't last this long, but with another deep WR class, you never know. He is undersized and has struggled at times getting separation, which could lower him a bit.

7- RB Josh Robinson - Another good back to share carries with Ajayi and Herron.

I honestly doubt Hali & Ngata are cut, they are the heart and souls of their teams. My guess would be they both restructure. If they don't hit the market their are comparable players that almost for sure will hit the market for similar contracts, just younger. Like McPhee, Sheard, and Worilds for Hali and Knighton, Odrick, Fairley, Rubin, and Williams for Ngata. I also think you are severely underrating Clint Bowling, Contract, and your write up he would most definitely start.

You have only 20 mil to spend in free agency, as the rest (roughly 23 mil) will go towards future extensions to current Colts players, resigning our own, and draft picks.

Mine are...

NT Haloti Ngata (3 years, 24 mil) - Pagano wants his big stud on the DL, and Ngata can still be very good for another 3-4 years. I do think there is a solid chance he is cut since the Ravens are hurting in cap space.

- 13 mil left

SS Bernard Pollard (2 years, 5 mil) - Another ex Raven brought in to give some toughness at the safety position. This move also hopefully helps get us past the Pats since he's been a Patriots killer in his career.

- 10 mil left

OLB Tamba Hali (3 years, 24 mil) - Gives us a proven pass rusher who would also add some much needed size at the LB position. We could cut Eric Walden after making this signing since Hali plays the same position. Mathis and Newsome can share rush LB duties while Hali and Werner would share strong side OLB duties.)

- 3 mil left

RG Clint Boling (3 years, 9 mil) - Underrated OG for Cincinnati, could compete for the starting RG spot right away or be great depth in case of injury. Thornton needs to sit and learn.

- 0 remaining

Draft...

1- OT La'el Collins - Could start at RG right away, and move to RT in 2016 allowing the Colts to cut Cherilus who will count for 10 mil against the cap.

3- RB Jay Ajayi - He might not last quite this long, but he would be a great pick in the 3rd round and can do it all at RB. He is great with vision and catching as well.

4- DE Henry Anderson - Adds more talent to the DL, and could challenge RJF for the DE position. Jones, Redding, RJF, and Anderson would be a good DE rotation.)

5- SS Durrell Eskridge - Big bodied safety who is still raw, but if Pagano coaches him up could be a real steal and a force at SS)

6- WR Justin Hardy - Probably won't last this long, but with another deep WR class, you never know. He is undersized and has struggled at times getting separation, which could lower him a bit.

I like what you have except I rather draft Tartt

Free Agency: Terrence Knighton, Devin McCourty, and Mike Iupati. The way I look at it is we need a better O-Line, so why not go get the best available? We don't need to settle for less IMO. Iupati is a machine, especially in run blocking. We've waited around and had a bad line for 3 years, and its time to put a stop to it. Knighton is a beast against the run, and he doesn't get moved often. McCourty immediately fixes our safety situation obviously. I think we need an upgrade at DE, but there isn't many good options in FA.

Draft: (I'm just going to do 3 picks. Otherwise it feels like a full mock, lol). Vic Beasley in the 1st, Paul Dawson in the 2nd, and Henry Anderson in the 3rd. Dawson will be there in the 2nd IMO, considering he has some character concerns, we may have to trade up a few picks to get him though. Anderson may be a gem. He can really get after the QB for a 290lb 3-4 DE.

I honestly doubt Hali & Ngata are cut, they are the heart and souls of their teams. My guess would be they both restructure. If they don't hit the market their are comparable players that almost for sure will hit the market for similar contracts, just younger. Like McPhee, Sheard, and Worilds for Hali and Knighton, Odrick, Fairley, Rubin, and Williams for Ngata. I also think you are severely underrating Clint Bowling, Contract, and your write up he would most definitely start.

Hali isn't the heart and soul of KC or their defense. And I think he's going to be a cap commodity in order to keep Justin Houston. I don't want to pay him $8m/year, but he'd be on my list once he (presumably) becomes available.

Houston, Johnson and Poe are more important to the Chiefs D at this point. They will probably spend big to keep Houston and by drafting Dee Ford last year, Hali sort of becomes expendable.

Hali will be cut, I don't see anyway around it. Chiefs are in terrible cap trouble, and they have to keep Houston, so a tag there if nothing else, and they need to keep their Center and on of the safeties, cannot think of his name right now. Especially with Berry, and possibly not returning. Hali is 31 I believe, so I don't see him being on the Chiefs next year.

Lupati is going to want to much, so I would go with Boling or Franklin. I would be happy with either. I would go after Knighton, and although I would love love McCourty, I see him getting tagged also, or extended. Otherwise, go after him!

Draft first 3 rounds: Kendrick, Dawson or Prewitt, Coleman or Abdullah.

Mine are...

- 13 mil left

- 10 mil left

- 3 mil left

- 0 remaining

Draft...

If we could make this happen I would be very happy love the first 3 picks I realize they would all have to fall a bit.

I would rather have Grant with the 7th. After Superman's mock I have really looked at him.  I love his speed. He can return kicks really love his speed. I don't get why he didn't see more field this year. Did I mention I love his speed.

I kind of have a 4th round crush on Hardison from ASU if Anderson isn't there.

I think Perryman is the nastiest ILB and Ajayi is the best all round back in the draft. We need nasty I don't care if  he only gets us to third down.

Hali has said he would take a pay cut to stay a Chiefs but they still may let him go who knows. They have cap issues. He also mentioned winning a title so who knows what he is talking about.

I think we need a WR signing in there somewhere. We can't go with just TY as the only WR with starting experience. Unless you resigned Reggie or Nicks.   

^^^That's saying a lot for a player whose career high in sacks is 7.5, in a contract year...before that, a rotational player at best.

McPhee was an absolute beast last season, I mean a pure freaking monster, but I agree with you in a sense. I don't see him coming in next season and putting up 12 plus sacks and being that game wrecker we so desperately need. If we knew Mathis would be his old self then yeah, McPhee would be a perfect complement but we don't know that. I wouldn't mind if we signed him to play DE full time though. He played everywhere with Baltimore last season.

Interesting takes by all...how about an even BIGGER hypothetical  :

U be the Colts GM  -  circa 2011

If you could choose between the following scenarios  ...

Which would you honestly choose ?

A)

1) Legitamately continue to allow Polian to build the team ( resist urge to throw the season and aquire the #1 pick )

2) Treat the man who built Lucas Oil with the respect he deserves by honoring his contract and allowing him to finish his career as a Colt .

3) Win the franchises 2nd Indy SB in 2014 and currently be the reigning Champs .

OR

B )

1) Suck for Luck / Kick #18 to the curb

2) Watch Denver build a team capable of beating NE ( due in part to the Manning aura / FA appeal )

3) Ride out Luck's carreer with current regime and hopefully surpass NE ( odss improving when  BB / Brady disbands )

I can understand why most ( if not all  ) will choose B .

Personally - If you replace the scenario with Pats and Brady ...I 'd choose A .

( Loyalty and "a bird in the hand " trumping Lucks unquestionable "skys-the-limit" potential )

A)

1) Legitamately continue to allow Polian to build the team ( resist urge to throw the season and aquire the #1 pick )

2) Treat the man who built Lucas Oil with the respect he deserves by honoring his contract and allowing him to finish his career as a Colt .

3) Win the franchises 2nd Indy SB in 2014 and currently be the reigning Champs .

OR

B )

2) Watch Denver build a team capable of beating NE ( due in part to the Manning aura / FA appeal )

3) Ride out Luck's carreer with current regime and hopefully surpass NE ( odss improving when  BB / Brady disbands )

( Loyalty and "a bird in the hand " trumping Lucks unquestionable "skys-the-limit" potential )

This is completely off topic, a little sensational, and kind of insulting.

A)

OR

B )

:atroll: :atroll: :atroll:

Not meant to be insulting ( just calling it as I honestly see it ...hard for me to sugarcoat what went down in 2011)

The off topic point is duely noted tho ...Fair enough ...you're right -this GM thread is very solid ( and my post leads away from the focus )

Can't see any way to delete it

( I'll re-post it under it's own thread   )

A)

OR

B )

I can't tell if you are really a tin foil hat wearing troll ...or ... just the average kind ....

But ...

1) Polian (Dad) was no longer building the teams, and Polian (Son) showed he was incompetent.

1.a.)  You can't honestly believe the Colts were able to throw the season, than fire everyone,  and than everyone that it would take to pull of such a feat: executives, coaches, and players all kept their mouth shut.  

2) Given the circumstances it was a mutual decision.  The Pats cut older players faster than anyone, don't think Brady wouldn't be gone in similar circumstances.

3) Had Peyton stayed we would not be the SB champs because we would not have been able to put the players needed around him. Our line couldn't have protected him, look at the beating Luck has taken; you think Peyton would have survived?

As to your latest post above (#22), there is nothing to sugar coat .... crawl back under your bridge.

1) Polian (Dad) was no longer building the teams, and Polian (Son) showed he was incompetent.

1.a.)  You can't honestly believe the Colts were able to throw the season, than fire everyone,  and than everyone that it would take to pull of such a feat: executives, coaches, and players all kept their mouth shut.  

2) Given the circumstances it was a mutual decision.  The Pats cut older players faster than anyone, don't think Brady wouldn't be gone in similar circumstances.

3) Had Peyton stayed we would not be the SB champs because we would not have been able to put the players needed around him. Our line couldn't have protected him, look at the beating Luck has taken; you think Peyton would have survived?

As to your latest post above (#22), there is nothing to sugar coat .... crawl back under your bridge.

i agree with most of this. i would have signed manning to a one year deal and told him we would trade him to a team that he wanted to go to after showing he was ok. i'm sure the colts could have gotten some very good draft picks for a healthy manning. it wouldn't have cost the colts much money because his new team would assume the contract and give him the longer deal he wanted. i just hate the fact that they gave up a valuable asset for nothing. i always thought manning was going to be ok.