Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And thats all we need ............

Deano1818

Yup, that's all we need.....

Not to mention an edge rusher to compliment what we hope Newsome will become, another ILB, a good #2 CB, another S, a RT, a RB, and some WRs that can beat man coverage. 

Our DE that we get needs to be talented as they need to put pressure on the QB as well.

I am counting on Mathis / Newsome providing the edge rusher spot

We are stuck with our current RT position due to contracts, but I also believe that Mewhort may end up being there for the long run.

We have too many holes to fill them all......in one offseason..... counting on some contribution from last years rookies and 3-4 rookies this year. 

Our DE that we get needs to be talented as they need to put pressure on the QB as well.

I am counting on Mathis / Newsome providing the edge rusher spot

We are stuck with our current RT position due to contracts, but I also believe that Mewhort may end up being there for the long run.

We have too many holes to fill them all......in one offseason..... counting on some contribution from last years rookies and 3-4 rookies this year. 

Yeah, we definitely need to get better play from our DEs. Redding was always solid, but I think he retires. Jones didn't look anything like the guy we thought we were getting, but I have high hopes for him next year. Of all the FAs I want this year, Nick Fairley is on the top of that list.

Honestly I have zero expectations out of Mathis this year. He'll be 34, coming off an Achilles tear, and not taken a meaningful snap in a year and a half by the start of the season. If we do get anything out of him, great, but I'm not expecting much.

As for Cherilus, we can designate him as a June 1st cut and save 4M this year. He was average in 2013, below average this year, and has bad knees. If he's back next year, we're going to wish he wasn't. I also would like to see how Mewhort would look at RT, and if that's the future plan, might as well let him spend TC at the position and roll with him.

New backup QB if Matt takes a hike?....how about 5 or 6 new centers to play around with?

Cant fix it all in one year........ centers? your point is lost on me........

I am officially tired of being in the "really-good-but-only-one-Super-bowl- win" club

Time to make needed fixes.........

We have the elite QB of the next 12-14 years......   One and done teams wear me out..........

As for Cherilus, we can designate him as a June 1st cut and save 4M this year. He was average in 2013, below average this year, and has bad knees. If he's back next year, we're going to wish he wasn't. I also would like to see how Mewhort would look at RT, and if that's the future plan, might as well let him spend TC at the position and roll with him.

I thought we were going to take a 4m cap hit IF we cut him........  I hope you are right!

Mewhort isnt a LT, but could contribute at RT

I thought we were going to take a 4m cap hit IF we cut him........  I hope you are right!

Mewhort isnt a LT, but could contribute at RT

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

This is where I go for my cap info. If we cut him now we'd take over 8M in dead cap, but we can designate him as a June 1st cut, and save 4M, while taking about 3M in dead cap. 

Drafting for need is a very very faulty strategy

If you have ONE or TWO needs I agree.........

We have potential spots for 5...... we really can go BPA (in those spaces)

People draft that way all the time

If we were to draft a LT, LG (unless they have plans to move Mewhort), QB, TE, CB, C, K, P, or WR, as BPA in round one, I would be highly disappointed 

Yup, that's all we need.....

Not to mention an edge rusher to compliment what we hope Newsome will become, another ILB, a good #2 CB, another S, a RT, a RB, and some WRs that can beat man coverage. 

This doesn't get mentioned enough.  Not sure how to address it but it is an issue.  

We need a NT who cant be moved and stops the run, a DE who stops the run, an OLB who can give us 10 plus sacks, an ILB who can cover and make tackles, a Safety who can cover, come down and help against the run, and don't miss tackles, then we need a brute G who can run block and pass protect, and maybe a WR if a good ones available. I think we address ILB, Safety, or possibly OLB through the draft. Just depends on whose there, but I think we address the D-Line and O-Line through free agency. The only problem is the only 3-4 DE I really want in free agency is a RFA. Cedric Thornton. We have some holes to fill, but I think if we make the right moves we can be a juggernaut next season.

If we were to draft a LT, LG (unless they have plans to move Mewhort), QB, TE, CB, C, K, P, or WR, as BPA in round one, I would be highly disappointed 

I really doubt that QB,TE,K,or P will be the BPA at 29...as far as the other positions...why would you not take BPA?

you don't draft a DT or Linebacker or S if he is not the BPA......That's a good way to end up with a bum

I really doubt that QB,TE,K,or P will be the BPA at 29...as far as the other positions...why would you not take BPA?

In my VERY humble opinion..... and my extensive junior high football playing skills, (My byline was I may be short, but I am SLOW!)

A QB or TE MAY be the BPA (though I added K or P in to make my point seem more logical) :)

I believe that you do have some choices. I believe that there will be a BPA, (Or 2-3 spots off) in a position that we need

If I am drafting 29, and I see a Safety that is slated to go 31, he may not be BPA at 29..... but is close enough to fill a need as well

why wouldnt you?

This doesn't get mentioned enough.  Not sure how to address it but it is an issue.  

One thing I think we could do, would be to use more timing routes. I'm no film expert or X's and O's guy, but we seem to use a lot of crossing routes, and wait for the receiver to clear his defender's zone. This is one reason I believe Luck tends to stare his primary down a lot of times. If your opponent is playing strong, press man, throw in some more hitches and comebacks. Luck needs to trust his receiver and throw it just before he makes his break and have the ball right where it needs to be. This is something that Peyton was top notch at when he was with us. His timing with Marvin and Reggie was second to none, and I know Luck could do the same things. I feel our route patterns are a little too predictable.

Cant fix it all in one year........ centers? your point is lost on me........

I am officially tired of being in the "really-good-but-only-one-Super-bowl- win" club

Time to make needed fixes.........

We have the elite QB of the next 12-14 years......   One and done teams wear me out..........

I was being flippant....we've had like 15 centers since 2008 and we rotated through 3 last year.

The thread title reminded me of this scene from "The Jerk"... apologies in advance   :ninja:

But back to football... as other posters have pointed out, there are too many areas of need to fill with enough quality players to approach any kind of perfect, ideal team with no weaknesses (IMO). Just acquire the best players you can that fit the scheme and fill a need however you can and roll with it.

The thread title reminded me of this scene from "The Jerk"... apologies in advance   :ninja:

http://youtu.be/w2X3vVMdh-s

But back to football... as other posters have pointed out, there are too many areas of need to fill with enough quality players to approach any kind of perfect, ideal team with no weaknesses (IMO). Just acquire the best players you can that fit the scheme and fill a need however you can and roll with it.

And a phone book....... That's all I need. ....... Great movie

If I am drafting 29, and I see a Safety that is slated to go 31, he may not be BPA at 29..... but is close enough to fill a need as well

why wouldnt you?

Let's say it's really that simple (and I don't believe it is, but let's go with it), the reason you don't draft the safety is because you should draft whoever the #29 player is, so long as he's not a QB, RB or TE. That's based on our roster strengths, and general value on RBs. 

Now, I could easily see a team making a decision to take the player that fills an immediate need in the scenario you propose, and it's less likely to either stand out as a reach or wind up not working out. It's when a team overrates a player at #29 when he's really more of a 45-50 range guy, mostly because he plays a position of need.

The thing is, you can find good players, even potential starters, throughout the draft. You take the best player still on the board, and you're more likely to fill your roster with good players. You address your needs in free agency, smartly, maybe take a big swing every once in a while, and you'll build a good stable of players. Roster mechanics can be sorted out in other ways. But good GMs don't set up their board according to perceived need, nor do they draft according to perceived need.

Drafting for need is a very very faulty strategy

For what it's worth,  I think there has been a sea-change view of this in the NFL.

For what it's worth,  I think we drafted BPA in 2012,  the Luck year.

But for what it's worth,  I think we've mostly gone away from that in 2013 and '14.   I think we drafted for need.  I think most teams draft for need.

Not sure what we'll do in '15,  but if pressed,  I suspect we'll draft for need again.   And I think most teams now do.

Just my opinion....