Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gordon vs. Gurley

which do you personally prefer as a prospect? Do you think if one or both fall there's a chance we'd take one? Would you be upset if we did?

You beat me to it!    I was just going to post about the RB position....   so if I may,  I'd like to make my post in your thread, Nobdy....

(Hey, great minds think alike!)   :thmup:

It's Day One of the draft and the Colts pick at 29 comes around and every running back is available.   Here are a series of questions for you to answer.    I'm looking for your views and opinions here....

1.   Are you willing to spend a #1 on the RB position?

2.   If the answer is yes,  who would you prefer?    Gurley?   Gordon?    Someone else?

3.   If the answer is no,   what round would you be willing to spend a pick on a RB?    2?    3?   4?   5? 

4.   For that round, please list several RBs (not one) that you would reasonably expect to be there.    (In other words, don't say R4 and hope it's Gurley or Gordon -- because that's not realistic)

Hope you'll consider this my valentine to all of your here on Colts.com. 

Looking forward to your answers....

Apologies to Nobody for expanding on his thread.....

You beat me to it! I was just going to post about the RB position.... so if I may, I'd like to make my post in your thread, Nobdy....

(Hey, great minds think alike!) :thmup:

It's Day One of the draft and the Colts pick at 29 comes around and every running back is available. Here are a series of questions for you to answer. I'm looking for your views and opinions here....

1. Are you willing to spend a #1 on the RB position?

2. If the answer is yes, who would you prefer? Gurley? Gordon? Someone else?

3. If the answer is no, what round would you be willing to spend a pick on a RB? 2? 3? 4? 5?

4. For that round, please list several RBs (not one) that you would reasonably expect to be there. (In other words, don't say R4 and hope it's Gurley or Gordon -- because that's not realistic)

No problem NCF! Always like added discussion. Personally I'd prefer Grigs focus on the OL in free agency and take a RB in rounds 2-4 to start. OL makes the RB in most occasions.

My top four running backs are(Though every time I watch more of them I swear it changes with those 4):

1.Gurley

2.Gordon

3.Johnson

4.Abdullah

I'd probably have to go Gurley over Gordon because he has a bit more power in his runs(Though he is also smaller then I thought) while also having soft hands to catch passes out of the back field

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253341&gif=MiniatureShorttermAfricanaugurbuzzard"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Has ability to get yards after contact and keep churning his legs

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253341&gif=FluffyCrispBetafish"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Shows patience in his runs and shows enough burst and acceleration to break a big run

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253341&gif=GrossAliveBrownbutterfly"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Has Kick Return experience and enough speed to go the distance

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253341&gif=DecisiveTallFowl"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Prefer Gordon over gurley just because I know once he's in colts blue, the injuries come. haha

But I actually love Ameer Abdullah and how violent he runs. He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw but a lot faster. If he is available at our pick in the 3rd, I would go for it absolutely. But I believe he may be an early 2nd rounder at most.

As dangerous as it is taking a RB in the first round, if Gurley or Gordon are there it would be hard to pass up.  Depending on who's available, and given the ultra late position of our first rounder, I would not be wholly against picking either one of these two.  Gurley would be my preference of the two.  

Of the 2 I prefer Gordon. I think both will be great, I just like Gordon better. We don't need to take a RB in the 1st round though. We have too many other holes to fill on Defense, and the O-Line. We can get a good back in the 3rd who can start and be effective from day 1. I personally want Coleman in the 3rd.

People we don't need a superstar RB , we need a RB that can complement the Colts offense , if we get a good RB(after 2nd round) he could became great because the defenses are always looking for Luck , we need to put our best player on the position where he can win games, so i would prefer to get Duke Jonhson on the 3/4th. But IMO Zurlon looked good on really few snaps i think he is the kind of RB that you want to have if you are gonna run btw the tackles.

You beat me to it! I was just going to post about the RB position.... so if I may, I'd like to make my post in your thread, Nobdy....

It's Day One of the draft and the Colts pick at 29 comes around and every running back is available. Here are a series of questions for you to answer. I'm looking for your views and opinions here....

3. If the answer is no, what round would you be willing to spend a pick on a RB? 2? 3? 4? 5?

4. For that round, please list several RBs (not one) that you would reasonably expect to be there. (In other words, don't say R4 and hope it's Gurley or Gordon -- because that's not realistic)

1 No

2 I'd say 5

3 not really sure don't watch alot of college football lol just listen to guys like You Dustin Superman and Gavin around this time and learn about all the good and bad players then check them out :) you guys always know a ton so I trust your judging haha

It all starts with an improved offensive line. That needs to be in place before any RB is taken. IMO

That is not true. You dont have to build an elite offensive line prior to obtaining a big time runner. You mean to tell me that every running back who's ever been a success is because their O-line was good before they got there? Your running back has to actually be capable of making something happen even when it seems like there is no play to be made. I dont care how good your O-line is, they arent going to steam roll the defense on every snap. You need a playmaker.

That is not true. You dont have to build an elite offensive line prior to obtaining a big time runner. You mean to tell me that every running back who's ever been a success is because their O-line was good before they got there? Your running back has to actually be capable of making something happen even when it seems like there is no play to be made. I dont care how good your O-line is, they arent going to steam roll the defense on every snap. You need a playmaker.

That stands to reason. But when you build a good offensive line you can plug and play RBs. You don't have to depend on one RB. Plus the passing game improves with better line play. You are talking about one player. When you improve the O-line it makes the whole offense better. And yes if you have a good O-line you will steamroll the defense. Did New Englands O-line steamrolls us? Did Dallas's O-line steamroll this year? Teams have not gone the route of putting all the load on just one RB. He goes down then your whole running game is gone.

That stands to reason. But when you build a good offensive line you can plug and play RBs. You don't have to depend on one RB. Plus the passing game improves with better line play. You are talking about one player. When you improve the O-line it makes the whole offense better. And yes if you have a good O-line you will steamroll the defense. Did New Englands O-line steamrolls us? Did Dallas's O-line steamroll this year? Teams have not gone the route of putting all the load on just one RB. He goes down then your whole running game is gone.

I don't think New England's line steamrolled us ! If you look at the highlights that ESPN run endlessly, all you see is Colts defenders falling off Blount!!!! not many linemen in the shots. We need a playmaker at running back, all running backs are not equal.A true fourth round back is not going to elevate the team like a true first rounder, he may run hard,but he's just a guy. He runs right into the Dtackle and lays down. When Edge stepped on the field in that first preseason game ,the Colts offense was transformed immediately. A Great Running BACK makes the "good line" better.they hold the blocks a split second longer because they know their guy can take all the way, Its the same as saying we didn't need to get Luck til we got a better line, it's absurd, great individual players elevate the players around them  I have watched football for over 50 years and a great running back makes you miss!!! The backs in the late rounds don't have that ability, We've had those guys,still do. If the line opens big holes the can pick up 4 or 5 yards before they get tackled. There are some great backs in this draft at the top. We should draft one and Ill bet that line that blocked in those last three games will look stellar. Now, Andrew has more time cause you might hand off on third and four the defense has to consider this.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Call me a dinosaur but I think this offense would benefit from having a runner who we could give 300+ touches. Get the playmakers in then supplement them with blocking in FA as well as draft picks. I want a runner with pedigree, not some guy who me think may be able to produce if our line is great.

Call me a dinosaur but I think this offense would benefit from having a runner who we could give 300+ touches. Get the playmakers in then supplement them with blocking in FA as well as draft picks. I want a runner with pedigree, not some guy who me think may be able to produce if our line is great.

I understand your point. My point is an average RB can produce with a good line. IMO when you run a RB 300+ touches he is burned out come the playoffs. There is something to the multi RB thing. It keeps the RBs healthy and fresh. Plus if one goes down another can step in. Every team would love what you call a pedigree RB but those are few and far between. I am not too sure if there is a running back in the draft right now you could say was elite. It seems to work for the Patriots. (did I just give a complement to the Pats?) :puke:

Dinosaur

1. circumstantial... in this draft? No

2. honestly neither

3. I see the 2nd round as a perfect round for attaining a playmaking back.

4. Abdullah is coming to mind and I'm really starting to convince myself :-)

Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur.  A back has to establish a rhythm, so I can see the benefit if one guy gets most of the carries. If he gets tired or worn down he can simply take himself out for a breather.

Nothing wrong with being a dinosaur.  A back has to establish a rhythm, so I can see the benefit if one guy gets most of the carries. If he gets tired or worn down he can simply take himself out for a breather.

Exactly, then you put in Herron and he will be even more effective cause the defense will be tired of tackling our monster back.