Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Have Winless Season Hurt Nfl Teams?

dn4192

There have just 2 teams to play an entire season and not win a game. The Tampa Bay Bucs and the Detroit Lions. Now the Colts are on the verge of possibly it happening here. So outside of going winless in the season, what true "harm" comes to a franchise from going winless?

Tampa Bay has a SB title, the Lions have put together a good base of young good players that have resulted in winning football. Neither team is struggling in the fan base area and both have wonderful new or pretty new stadiums. Both are being seen on prime time games and both have quality players playing in the pro bowl or will be.

So extactly what is the big deal?

It's unprofessional. Flat out. 0-16 says fail in so many ways.....and the team has been sorely exposed. Exactly like looking for a job in the rest of the professional market place - the way an organization performs/operates steers decision making.

Harm could come in the form of FAs not wanting to play here considering our scheme, front office tendancies, and coaching staff. Though we're not big in FA over the years this past offseason gave a little indication there might be front office willingness to that route more in the future (even though circumstances this year were unique). Who knows, the situation might even tilt the scale for some of our own FAs signing elsewhere.

Harm could come in the form of draft picks not wanting to play here.

Harm could come in the form of top coaching prospects not wanting to come here.

Revenue via prime time games could be reduced because we get fewer of those.

Revenue via game attendance drops because folks have less interest (seen that already this year).

Merchandising sales could drop.

Lost time = lost opportunity they'll never get back for some aging players.

I haven't even gotten creative yet.................

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lions record may be good this year, but how many people think they're going to make the playoffs. Not many believe that they can. To this day, there are still some people that don't take them seriously. Those years of failure plus that 0-16 season has ruined their legacy for the next several years. Although the Colts have been a great team in the last decade, there will be some people that question if the Colts can get back to the top after this season. Not only does it >>> up the stats from the past decade, but it could demotivate some of the players.

1. Who are these people?

2. What does it matter what those people think?

There have just 2 teams to play an entire season and not win a game. The Tampa Bay Bucs and the Detroit Lions. Now the Colts are on the verge of possibly it happening here. So outside of going winless in the season, what true "harm" comes to a franchise from going winless?

Tampa Bay has a SB title, the Lions have put together a good base of young good players that have resulted in winning football. Neither team is struggling in the fan base area and both have wonderful new or pretty new stadiums. Both are being seen on prime time games and both have quality players playing in the pro bowl or will be.

I would agree with you here. I would just add for me as a fan I wouldn't mind seeing the team win a few since I spend MY time sundays watching. Now what others think of the season wouldn't concern me.

However a team that fails consistently over a period of time is another story and management would be at fault since the cap is the same for everyone. That is why the Lions suck because they did have chances and constantly draft high. So if they make the playoffs..eh...took you long enough.

kinda funny that dn argues that no one has talked about the 0-16 lions season since that 0-16 season. guess what bill, you're talking about it now. and guess what, the next time a team is about to go 0-16 guess who they're gonna talk about? they're gonna talk about how bad the 2011 colts were.

bill you're so silly

0-16 is doom and gloom, It can't really be any worse.. Good thing there's other stuff in life, but as far as football goes, this is the "horribleness".

I guess it's all perspective. 1 bad season even an 0-16 season isn't a big deal when you have had the run the Colts have had and will probably bounce back from. My fav ML baseball team has had 2 winning seasons in the past 20, made only 1 playoff appearance in teh last 17, yet I am supporting them every year. Look at the Pacers, they last had a winning season when? When was their last playoff appearance? And talk about embarassing..let us bring up the night in Detroit. For me 1 0-16 season is not the end of the world....

I guess it's all perspective. 1 bad season even an 0-16 season isn't a big deal when you have had the run the Colts have had and will probably bounce back from. My fav ML baseball team has had 2 winning seasons in the past 20, made only 1 playoff appearance in teh last 17, yet I am supporting them every year. Look at the Pacers, they last had a winning season when? When was their last playoff appearance? And talk about embarassing..let us bring up the night in Detroit. For me 1 0-16 season is not the end of the world....

It may not be the end of the world but that's not the question you asked.

Besides, Manning at 43-12 vs. the AFC South and 26-25 vs. AFC East speaks volumes about what the Colts have accomplished during their run.....and now we're 0-13 absent the Manning formula.........there's some perspective for ya.

It's time to get this ship turned around and turned around fast.

Last year!!!

They also had a good off season, adding George Hill...

Played really inspired ball against the Bulls in the first round...

As to being 0-16, meh. It's sucks because they didn't win, not because of any sort of historical nonsense or some kind of "unwashable shame" or whatever it is that has Uncle Mark acting irrational.

Besides, if we've learned nothing else from this, it's to never take winning games for granted. So some good might come out of it (if one is trying to be the eternal optimist)

1. Who are these people?

2. What does it matter what those people think?

I really don't want to waste my time arguing...

1. Every NFL fan

2. Because I don't want to be known as a laughing stock even though the Colts have a great recent history.

The 0-8 1934 Cincinatti Reds had to disband after week 8 of the 11 game season because they couldn't pay their league dues.

However a team that fails consistently over a period of time is another story and management would be at fault since the cap is the same for everyone. That is why the Lions suck because they did have chances and constantly draft high. So if they make the playoffs..eh...took you long enough.

I have to disagree with you here. I think that teams like the Lions, Raiders, Bills, and Rams have been crippled for the last decade by high draft picks because rookie wages for top 10 picks were completely out of control. They were often paying twice as much as late drafting teams for players who were not twice as good.

I really don't want to waste my time arguing...

1. Every NFL fan

2. Because I don't want to be known as a laughing stock even though the Colts have a great recent history.

You should stay away from using such broad and unsubstantiated generalizations, like you got called out on in your Lions rant and the one quoted here. It is what people resort to when they can't really prove what they are saying.

1. Every NFL fan is a ridiculous claim. Secondly, I guarantee you that NFL personnel do not take the Lions lightly with the weapons and talent on that team.

2. If the Colts go winless this year but return to their form of the years before that all 2011 will seen as is a giant anomoly. Nothing more.

You should stay away from using such broad and unsubstantiated generalizations, like you got called out on in your Lions rant and the one quoted here. It is what people resort to when they can't really prove what they are saying.

1. Every NFL fan is a ridiculous claim. Secondly, I guarantee you that NFL personnel do not take the Lions lightly with the weapons and talent on that team.

2. If the Colts go winless this year but return to their form of the years before that all 2011 will seen as is a giant anomoly. Nothing more.

Wrong, every football fan knows and remembers the 72 dolphins for a good reason. and remembers the Bucs and Lions for going winless and if the Colts go winless there will not be a season where you won't hear about it. I think this debate will be a mute point, because the Jags are horrible.

Wrong, every football fan knows and remembers the 72 dolphins for a good reason. and remembers the Bucs and Lions for going winless and if the Colts go winless there will not be a season where you won't hear about it. I think this debate will be a mute point, because the Jags are horrible.

People rememeber the Lions because it happened 4 years ago. Very few remember the Bucs.

And people only care about the Dolphins because they won't shut up about it.

So unless Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis start making a big deal about popping champagne every time the last winless teams gets a victory it's going to be a footnote.

You telling me I am wrong? The nerve...

I think your response it out of context to what I was talking about with Andy. Of course people remember those teams but for example, this year's Lions, how does their 2008 record have anything to do with a playoff push this year? It doesn't.

I think your response it out of context to what I was talking about with Andy. Of course people remember those teams but for example, this year's Lions, how does their 2008 record have anything to do with a playoff push this year? It doesn't.

All I am saying is that it links you on the wrong side of history, thats all. Now does have any to do with what will happen 5 years from now. That has yet to be seen. Now on the lighter side, why don't you just try a trace of humility as opposed to your always sarcastic replies, you are no better or smarter than any one else on the site.

It was the most important factor in turning around the team. The 0-16 record led directly to the firing of Millen and Marinelli which allowed them to hire a better GM and coach.

Where do you here these wispers on the Bucs and Lions? I am a Buc fan also and it's a non issue and their horribleness trumps just about every other horribleness ever seen in the NFL.

Where do you here these wispers on the Bucs and Lions? I am a Buc fan also and it's a non issue and their horribleness trumps just about every other horribleness ever seen in the NFL.

Do you even watch football?Every week until every team has A win you hear about the Bucs and now the Lions, thats all I am saying, so don't even start with your 11 rebuttals, please.

All I am saying is that it links you on the wrong side of history, thats all. Now does have any to do with what will happen 5 years from now. That has yet to be seen. Now on the lighter side, why don't you just try a trace of humility as opposed to your always sarcastic replies, you are no better or smarter than any one else on the site.

I am no better than anyone else on here. Completely agree with that.

Now I would not agree to the same with regards to whether I have a better football IQ than others on here.

Really? So going 0-16 didn't lead to departures of the GM and coach? And a top pick in Stafford which is their franchise QB? Everyone remembers the Lions and Bucs and I as a fan don't want the Colts as apart of that club. How many future HOFers on this squad would love to have that 0-16 on their "resume" going into the HOF?

Really? So going 0-16 didn't lead to departures of the GM and coach? And a top pick in Stafford which is their franchise QB? Everyone remembers the Lions and Bucs and I as a fan don't want the Colts as apart of that club. How many future HOFers on this squad would love to have that 0-16 on their "resume" going into the HOF?

Not even close to the point, but thanks for the response.

I am no better than anyone else on here. Completely agree with that.

Now I would not agree to the same with regards to whether I have a better football IQ than others on here.

Now if I were a sarcastic person, I would say that I have already forgot more about football this moring,than you know, but I am not, so I won't. So lets just have some fun and talk football.

I have to disagree with you here. I think that teams like the Lions, Raiders, Bills, and Rams have been crippled for the last decade by high draft picks because rookie wages for top 10 picks were completely out of control. They were often paying twice as much as late drafting teams for players who were not twice as good.

In some way that's exactly what I mean. They went for the big cheese instead of trading down some of those years...which falls on management.

A lot of 1st rnd busts too if memory serves.

Do you even watch football?Every week until every team has A win you hear about the Bucs and now the Lions, thats all I am saying, so don't even start with your 11 rebuttals, please.

Yes during that season and even the following one it is talked about, but that is about it. How many times is it talked about this season in Detroit and how much do Lion fans care? This will just be a blip on the radar unless the Colts fall to a sub .500 team each season for the next say decade, it will be looked at then as the great fall, but I don't believe the Colts will be .500 that much over the next decade.

I doubt any player wants an 0-16 on their resume, but in no way will it impact on their ability to get into the HOF or tarnish their career in any manner.

In some way that's exactly what I mean. They went for the big cheese instead of trading down some of those years...which falls on management.

A lot of 1st rnd busts too if memory serves.

It was tought to trade down as many teams didn't want to take on those huge salaries that came with those top picks. Now it is much easier to trade down.

That's exactly what I'm saying too, I don't want to be on the wrong side of history, and have my favourite team look bad. For new fans, they may assume this team is bad. Every team has bad seasons, but only 2 have had a winless season, and jskinnz, I said the FANS may not take them as seriously as other teams, not the personnel. Read before you bash. BTW jskinnz, you have been wrong before, so don't act like you know it all.

Not even close to the point, but thanks for the response.

He's actually right on the point. Every fan remembers the winless teams, no one remembers the 1-15 teams, because almost every team in the NFL has had one of those seasons. It happens a lot. It definitely won't help players like Saturday and Wayne who are just on the borderline to getting in. No one wants this, and this is something people will talk about for the next 40 years. No Colts fan wants to be reminded of this terrible year.

That's exactly what I'm saying too, I don't want to be on the wrong side of history, and have my favourite team look bad. For new fans, they may assume this team is bad. Every team has bad seasons, but only 2 have had a winless season, and jskinnz, I said the FANS may not take them as seriously as other teams, not the personnel. Read before you bash. BTW jskinnz, you have been wrong before, so don't act like you know it all.

Wrong in arguing with my wife? Of course. Probably twice today already.

Wrong arguing with you - never? Not once.

In my book a real fan doesn't pick two or three teams to root for...

Why not? I grew up with the Bucs, suffered through years of horribleness to see them get to where they are now. Moved to Indy in 87 and have been a fan of the colts since then. I see no reason a fan can not support two different teams, especially when they are in different leagues...

How am I not surprised I got this response from you. It's littered all over the forums.

Sorry - but your response was out of context and frankly, silly.

Seriously - you have to ask which HoF wants 0-16 on their resume? 1) No one but more to the point 2) if they made it into the HoF obviously they were not stained too terribly bad by the season.

In my book a real fan doesn't pick two or three teams to root for...

Huh??

The Colts are my team. I always root for them above any other, but there are other teams out there I enjoy watching play and root for as long as they are not playing against us.

I am a Colts fan above all, but I am also a football fan.

Sorry - but your response was out of context and frankly, silly.

Seriously - you have to ask which HoF wants 0-16 on their resume? 1) No one but more to the point 2) if they made it into the HoF obviously they were not stained too terribly bad by the season.

Lee Roy Selmon was a Hall of Famer from the 76 Bucs

Calvin Johnson is obviously a long way from the Hall of Fame right now but it isn't completely out of the question that he could play his way in.

Players can overcome an 0-16 season and get inducted but it is a bit of a strike against them.

Lee Roy Selmon was a Hall of Famer from the 76 Bucs

Calvin Johnson is obviously a long way from the Hall of Fame right now but it isn't completely out of the question that he could play his way in.

Players can overcome an 0-16 season and get inducted but it is a bit of a strike against them.

Says who?

Look, if Freeney is eventually considered for and inducted into the HoF, his accomplishments on the field will be the highlights. That's it.

This getting in the way of the intent of the thread. Going 0-16 will not impact the 2012 team. Or the 2013 team. Or any Colts team beyond that. That is the point of the thread.