Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Have Winless Season Hurt Nfl Teams?

dn4192

There have just 2 teams to play an entire season and not win a game. The Tampa Bay Bucs and the Detroit Lions. Now the Colts are on the verge of possibly it happening here. So outside of going winless in the season, what true "harm" comes to a franchise from going winless?

Tampa Bay has a SB title, the Lions have put together a good base of young good players that have resulted in winning football. Neither team is struggling in the fan base area and both have wonderful new or pretty new stadiums. Both are being seen on prime time games and both have quality players playing in the pro bowl or will be.

So extactly what is the big deal?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like someone who is not a player..

You still hear it mentoned about how bad that Tampa team was.

Its about pride....and as a player..I dont think you want to have an 0-16 season on your record.

You may know someone from a high school or college.

Ask them what it would be like to go winless in their sport..

They would kill to go back and get just one win.

Then magnify the small high school or college experince to the pro level..

To me, its obvious

Lions rebounded quickly. The Bucs had one at 0-14 and rebounded to make the playoffs down the road but didn't become a real NFL powerhouse till Tony Dungy came in and changed the culture there.

This is different from those other teams in this regard. We have a winning culture here already and we are missing our all-world QB. If we fix that QB part of it and fix a key player here or there it's not unrealistic to think this season could be an odd ball season in about 30 years of winning for the Colts (if we draft and Luck and he's as good as advertised.)

Spoken like someone who is not a player..

You still hear it mentoned about how bad that Tampa team was.

Its about pride....and as a player..I dont think you want to have an 0-16 season on your record.

You may know someone from a high school or college.

Ask them what it would be like to go winless in their sport..

They would kill to go back and get just one win.

Then magnify the small high school or college experince to the pro level..

To me, its obvious

As a player I would think you could handle 1 bad season over continual bad season after bad season after bad season. I don't think there is 1 player on the Colts team that feels that with a heathy Peyton and a few other players that not only would the team be winning, but probably would be contending for the division title again. Meanwhile you have franchises who lose season after season and see very little hope....to me that would be much tougher to deal with.

I think the big deal is the collapse is epic. 10 years of most wins, playoff appearances, a SB win and an appearance in another, and then complete collapse. So it isn't a situation where you have to assess aspects of a 7-9 team, look at one or two areas. 0-16 means there isn't anything you can trust, rely on for next year, know you're covered. So in my estimation the big deal is that now we all wonder about the owner's performance and decision making, the GM's job, every coach, every player on the roster. We weren't feeling that way through years of playoff runs, breaking records, successful drafts, and everything going well. But this is sports, and it happens to all great teams. I for one am grateful to have enjoyed the run. I knew it wouldn't last forever - it can't.

Its a shame you just dont want..

You have to do everything you can to avoid it....

Even playing an old country boy who's been sidelined all year.

I guess I just don't see what shame there is after the season is over. Lets say we go 0-16, and next year bounce back to win enough games to make the playoffs and make a run in the playoffs...who will care or remember what happened this year?

Colts were 0-8-1 in 1982 with Frank Krush- It's mind boggling from 14 and 0 two years ago to this now. Also, the Bucs won their division in 1979 with McVay (He spoke his mind freely, more in 1 post game then Mr. Flat Affect Caldwell has in nearly 3 years).- Gruden took them all they way when Tony left Tampa

As a player I would think you could handle 1 bad season over continual bad season after bad season after bad season. I don't think there is 1 player on the Colts team that feels that with a heathy Peyton and a few other players that not only would the team be winning, but probably would be contending for the division title again. Meanwhile you have franchises who lose season after season and see very little hope....to me that would be much tougher to deal with.

I disagree. The players were pretty ticked off before the season started when they were constantly asked if they would be able to win without Peyton. They would always say that they were a good team and that the other 52 players had something to do with them winning all of those games. Now they haven't won a single game. That has to be bad on the psyche.

It doesn't obviously. My point, however poorly written, was no great franchise in any sport has success forever. But had the Colts gone 6-10, not 0-16, some of the fodder in the media, on message boards, etc., would be far less extreme. Extreme events tend to lead to extreme reactions, so my point was 0-16 is a big deal in that there may be upheaval, when in fact, that might not have been necessary or warranted. Had this been the Alex Smith draft, or had the Colts won even 4 or 5 games, I sincerely believe the reaction, the coverage, the feeling from the fans would be different.

What does any sport really matter???

Why do you post on an internet forum all day long???

Why can you not see the difference between a decline in win avg. and an entire winless season???

The 2011 Colts are going down in the books as one of the WORST teams in team sports history...

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things????

No, but you have spent a good portion of your time defending one of the worst teams in sports history, saying whats the big deal???

It matters to some people who actually support the team by buying the teams product...

i.e tickets

I disagree. The players were pretty ticked off before the season started when they were constantly asked if they would be able to win without Peyton. They would always say that they were a good team and that the other 52 players had something to do with them winning all of those games. Now they haven't won a single game. That has to be bad on the psyche.

Listen to deedub, here....

Our guys need to salvage some pride

It doesn't obviously. My point, however poorly written, was no great franchise in any sport has success forever. But had the Colts gone 6-10, not 0-16, some of the fodder in the media, on message boards, etc., would be far less extreme. Extreme events tend to lead to extreme reactions, so my point was 0-16 is a big deal in that there may be upheaval, when in fact, that might not have been necessary or warranted. Had this been the Alex Smith draft, or had the Colts won even 4 or 5 games, I sincerely believe the reaction, the coverage, the feeling from the fans would be different.

no comment!

Sure there is...

SHOCKER!

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - personal shot

is there any doubt that dn4192 isn't bill polian or someone bill polian has hired to post on these forums? been following the forum for awhile and i just wanted to make sure that people don't actually take his posts seriously.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - personl shot
Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - personl shot

is there any doubt that dn4192 isn't bill polian or someone bill polian has hired to post on these forums? been following the forum for awhile and i just wanted to make sure that people don't actually take his posts seriously.

I actually sent that very thought to the mods. I would bet money that he is not just joe fan. His posts start and end almost to the minute everyday and are almost scripted. over 1700 posts!

There have just 2 teams to play an entire season and not win a game. The Tampa Bay Bucs and the Detroit Lions. Now the Colts are on the verge of possibly it happening here. So outside of going winless in the season, what true "harm" comes to a franchise from going winless?

Tampa Bay has a SB title, the Lions have put together a good base of young good players that have resulted in winning football. Neither team is struggling in the fan base area and both have wonderful new or pretty new stadiums. Both are being seen on prime time games and both have quality players playing in the pro bowl or will be.

So extactly what is the big deal?

Please tell us, what "true" good do you believe can can come to a team that goes undefeated, like the 72 Dolphins?

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, December 17, 2011 - going back to the previous issue...
Hidden by Peytongirl, December 17, 2011 - going back to the previous issue...

Yep, he is Bill Polian or an unreasonably facisimile of him.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - reply to personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, December 16, 2011 - reply to personal shot

You know, I've wondered the same thing. Who goes to this extent defending Polian, unless they are actually employed by Polian? There is no defense of a team that can't win a game, and yet this guy continues to defend it. lol

Leave it to dn to ask why it's bad to go 0-16.

I asked because many here seem to think it's the end of the world, that NFL football as we know it will come to an end here in Indy and we will somehow be branded losers and stinkers and who knows what else. I would hope people would have more hope for this franchise and those running it given their track record to correct this one very bad season and return this franchise to the level it has been for the past decade and not be so down on the team and such.

What does any sport really matter???

Why do you post on an internet forum all day long???

Why can you not see the difference between a decline in win avg. and an entire winless season???

The 2011 Colts are going down in the books as one of the WORST teams in team sports history...

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things????

No, but you have spent a good portion of your time defending one of the worst teams in sports history, saying whats the big deal???

It matters to some people who actually support the team by buying the teams product...

i.e tickets

so because they have 1 bad season you are going to stop supporting them? I believe true fans of any sports team are fans no matter what the record of the team...

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, December 17, 2011 - more of the same
Hidden by Peytongirl, December 17, 2011 - more of the same

yo bill can i get a job in the front office? i'm a hard worker and i promise i won't tell anyone you post on the forums

I asked because many here seem to think it's the end of the world, that NFL football as we know it will come to an end here in Indy and we will somehow be branded losers and stinkers and who knows what else. I would hope people would have more hope for this franchise and those running it given their track record to correct this one very bad season and return this franchise to the level it has been for the past decade and not be so down on the team and such.

i'll amuse him and answer his question with another question: How have super bowl wins benefited NFL teams?

Think about that for a little bit, apply it to your question, and you have the answer.

In the grand view SB wins are great and do boost "band wagon" fans for that team for a while, but overall I believe a team that provides a strong winning product year in and year out is what fans want, and while a SB is great, it's not the be all to end all in why fans support their team.

You know, I've wondered the same thing. Who goes to this extent defending Polian, unless they are actually employed by Polian? There is no defense of a team that can't win a game, and yet this guy continues to defend it. lol

that's because I am rational. I look at the big picture and not one season. I see where the franchise was pre Polian and where it went under his leadership. I also refuse to allow 1 bad season to be the sole basis to determine a teams/mag't abilities. I don't live and die off of 1 season, I support the team because of what they have shown me over the past decade and what I see as a bright future.

so because they have 1 bad season you are going to stop supporting them? I believe true fans of any sports team are fans no matter what the record of the team...

You say a fan supports the team no matter what, but that same fan is ridiculous when they complain about their team on track to having arguably the worst season in the history of professional sports???

What gives man???

I live in Southern CA & I rock my Frathis jersey everyweek to a raiders bar to watch games since I can't watch games at home...

Every Holiday season I go to games when I visit the folks

I am not over reacting by complaining on a message board, I am voicing my opinion that people need to be held accountable...

You say a fan supports the team no matter what, but that same fan is ridiculous when they complain about their team on track to having arguably the worst season in the history of professional sports???

What gives man???

I live in Southern CA & I rock my Frathis jersey everyweek to a raiders bar to watch games since I can't watch games at home...

Every Holiday season I go to games when I visit the folks

I am not over reacting by complaining on a message board, I am voicing my opinion that people need to be held accountable...

It's okay to complain...but there are those who feel this bad season will doom the franchise that it will bring blith to the franchise and how going 0-16 means we are in store for horribleness.....

It hurts the legacy and in the case of the Lions has overshadowed the following years including this good one. They need to have several good years to really start erasing that year.

How has it "overshadowed" the Lions? What is overshadowing the Lions this year is their unsportsmanlike play of one certain defensive player and such. I have not heard 1 thing about their 0-16 season since...well their 0-16 season. Have they played in front of half empty stadiums? did they lose their chance to play on Thanksgiving day? Haven't they even been on in prime time? As for "legacy" 1 bad season doesn't spoil a decade of dominace...

How has it "overshadowed" the Lions? What is overshadowing the Lions this year is their unsportsmanlike play of one certain defensive player and such. I have not heard 1 thing about their 0-16 season since...well their 0-16 season. Have they played in front of half empty stadiums? did they lose their chance to play on Thanksgiving day? Haven't they even been on in prime time? As for "legacy" 1 bad season doesn't spoil a decade of dominace...

The Lions record may be good this year, but how many people think they're going to make the playoffs. Not many believe that they can. To this day, there are still some people that don't take them seriously. Those years of failure plus that 0-16 season has ruined their legacy for the next several years. Although the Colts have been a great team in the last decade, there will be some people that question if the Colts can get back to the top after this season. Not only does it >>> up the stats from the past decade, but it could demotivate some of the players.

I can't stand defending DN, nor do I want to put words in his mouth but let me take a swing at this. Are the players that come back in 2012 going to work harder in the offseason if they go 1-15 v. 0-16? Are the coaches, new or current, going to coach any harder or differently? The answers to both seem obvious. No player will be involved in a game and think "we went 0-16 last year. I can't block this guy in front of me." I think the point is what happened in 2011, will not really have an impact to future seasons.

It's okay to complain...but there are those who feel this bad season will doom the franchise that it will bring blith to the franchise and how going 0-16 means we are in store for horribleness.....

Where are the people saying doom & gloom. I just read opinions complaining & expecting someone to be held accountable, Joe colt fan takes that as over reacting.

btw 0-16 IS as horrible as it gets, I think fans are just hoping Irsay makes the right choices so that this doesn't continue.

None of which is over reacting...

Over reacting is telling everyone on a forum to stop over reacting...