Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning re-doing contract

oldunclemark

Yes. This whole things seems strange. Just throwing things out on this hold up. Manning has already said he wants to come back. He met with Elway and still no announcement? Do you think there is some discussion with how the offense will run? I am not buying the pay cut/restructure on this as that would not prohibit them from announcing Manning's return. They could announce his return and them redo his contract anytime.

A less sensational angle is that they just met a few days ago, Manning hasn't had his physical yet, and they don't see a need to make a big announcement for something that is kind of a foregone conclusion. Elway has a presser at some point within the next few days, and whatever stage they're all at will be covered at that point.

There's really no rush. It's only been a month since their season ended. Free agency is still a month away. They've already been in touch with their free agents and have an idea of what they can do to keep everyone they want. Once the first domino falls, I think everything will click.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A less sensational angle is that they just met a few days ago, Manning hasn't had his physical yet, and they don't see a need to make a big announcement for something that is kind of a foregone conclusion. Elway has a presser at some point within the next few days, and whatever stage they're all at will be covered at that point.

There's really no rush. It's only been a month since their season ended. Free agency is still a month away. They've already been in touch with their free agents and have an idea of what they can do to keep everyone they want. Once the first domino falls, I think everything will click.

I don't buy it and I will tell you why. This has been the biggest off-season story. IF it is a foregone conclusion than just say Manning is our QB and he will back with us assuming he passes his physical. Instead, we are getting leaks to the press that there may be an issue with his contract, potentially with his health or ability to stay healthy for a full season and maybe with the offensive system that Kubiak runs. Elway is not squashing this and there is something behind that. What is it exactly. Who knows but this seems to have much more drama attached to it than it should and it is not coming from Manning.

Didn't people say that after the Baltimore loss a couple years ago.....hmmm.

He was also 2 years younger then.  Peyton isnt the same QB he was even 4 months ago.  Injuries are becoming more of a problem for him.   Aging and injuries are never the recipe for fairy tale endings.  Other greats have learned the hard way that Father Time is undefeated.   

I don't buy it and I will tell you why. This has been the biggest off-season story. IF it is a foregone conclusion than just say Manning is our QB and he will back with us assuming he passes his physical. Instead, we are getting leaks to the press that there may be an issue with his contract, potentially with his health or ability to stay healthy for a full season and maybe with the offensive system that Kubiak runs. Elway is not squashing this and there is something behind that. What is it exactly. Who knows but this seems to have much more drama attached to it than it should and it is not coming from Manning.

Meh. I think you're seeing what you want to see. Elway said they're waiting on Manning, Manning said he's going through the usual process, and that's pretty much it. All the "rumors" about the Broncos maybe not wanting him back are completely unsubstantiated, and completely contrary to everything the Broncos have said on the record. Even the rumor about his contract is just a rumor, coming from a corner of the Internet.

In reality, it's only been a few weeks, and there really isn't much drama.

Meh. I think you're seeing what you want to see. Elway said they're waiting on Manning, Manning said he's going through the usual process, and that's pretty much it. All the "rumors" about the Broncos maybe not wanting him back are completely unsubstantiated, and completely contrary to everything the Broncos have said on the record. Even the rumor about his contract is just a rumor, coming from a corner of the Internet.

In reality, it's only been a few weeks, and there really isn't much drama.

Manning said last week that he wants to play in 2015 and then was flown in by the Broncos to see Elway. Manning also said he is very confident he will pass his annual physical. So I don't see where Manning has them waiting on anything. They have yet to say Manning is our QB in 2015 and no one knows why at this point and that has fueled the drama.

Manning said last week that he wants to play in 2015 and then was flown in by the Broncos to see Elway. Manning also said he is very confident he will pass his annual physical. So I don't see where Manning has them waiting on anything. They have yet to say Manning is our QB in 2015 and no one knows why at this point and that has fueled the drama.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12319086/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-meet

It was four days ago.

As he usually does, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning stuck to his plan and met with executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway and CEO Joe Ellis on Thursday 

He hadn't had his physical, as of their meeting.

No decision was announced after Thursday's discussions, given that Manning would have to undergo a check-up.

In the coming weeks, Manning will have an exam on his surgically repaired neck to gauge his health.

The Broncos' decision makers have publicly expressed their desire to have him back, and have backed that up with their actions.

Elway and new Denver coach Gary Kubiak have said they want Manning back for his fourth season with the Broncos and 18th season overall. And the fact that the Broncos would send Bowlen's plane to retrieve Manning from New Orleans would seem to mute reports that they weren't sure they wanted him to return.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12322156/peyton-manning-tells-denver-broncos-ready-play-2015

Manning told the Broncos that he's ready to play.

Peyton Manning reassured Denver Broncos officials, including general manager John Elway, that he is physically and mentally prepared to play at a significant level in 2015, league and team sources told ESPN.

There is no drama, really. At this point, it's pretty much the same process they've gone through the past two years, with Manning having his physical before March. The potential for a restructure exists, but there's no real sticking point there. The general expectation has always been that Mannign would be back, and that was only softened by his noncommittal comments after their season ended. Unless you expect them to make an event of announcing that he'll be coming back, there's really nothing to see. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12319086/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-meet

It was four days ago.

As he usually does, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning stuck to his plan and met with executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway and CEO Joe Ellis on Thursday 

He hadn't had his physical, as of their meeting.

No decision was announced after Thursday's discussions, given that Manning would have to undergo a check-up.

In the coming weeks, Manning will have an exam on his surgically repaired neck to gauge his health.

The Broncos' decision makers have publicly expressed their desire to have him back, and have backed that up with their actions.

Elway and new Denver coach Gary Kubiak have said they want Manning back for his fourth season with the Broncos and 18th season overall. And the fact that the Broncos would send Bowlen's plane to retrieve Manning from New Orleans would seem to mute reports that they weren't sure they wanted him to return.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12322156/peyton-manning-tells-denver-broncos-ready-play-2015

Manning told the Broncos that he's ready to play.

Peyton Manning reassured Denver Broncos officials, including general manager John Elway, that he is physically and mentally prepared to play at a significant level in 2015, league and team sources told ESPN.

There is no drama, really. At this point, it's pretty much the same process they've gone through the past two years, with Manning having his physical before March. The potential for a restructure exists, but there's no real sticking point there. The general expectation has always been that Mannign would be back, and that was only softened by his noncommittal comments after their season ended. Unless you expect them to make an event of announcing that he'll be coming back, there's really nothing to see. 

I do think they need to come out and say Manning is our QB 2015 and they may do that this week. What has fueled this is the fact that Manning for the first time hinted at season end that he was not sure if he was coming back.. Elway told him to take some time and he has and has also said his thigh is healed and he wants to play in 2015. Maybe it is all futile melodrama but Elway is a smart man and knows how the media works especially on a story of this magnitude. He can end any and all speculation by making a strong statement saying that Manning is our QB in 2015. By not doing so, you have these speculative reports.

I do think they need to come out and say Manning is our QB 2015 and they may do that this week. What has fueled this is the fact that Manning for the first time hinted at season end that he was not sure if he was coming back.. Elway told him to take some time and he has and has also said his thigh is healed and he wants to play in 2015. Maybe it is all futile melodrama but Elway is a smart man and knows how the media works especially on a story of this magnitude. He can end any and all speculation by making a strong statement saying that Manning is our QB in 2015. By not doing so, you have these speculative reports.

Why can't we wait a week, maybe a week and a half, before assigning drama to a situation? Why do we have to try to read between the lines?

To me, it's simple: 1) The Broncos said they want Manning back. 2) Manning said he thinks he's physically and mentally ready to come back. 3) They still need to do the physical. 

Until the physical is done, any pronouncement is premature, and unnecessary. Just wait and see what happens. 

Why can't we wait a week, maybe a week and a half, before assigning drama to a situation? Why do we have to try to read between the lines?

To me, it's simple: 1) The Broncos said they want Manning back. 2) Manning said he thinks he's physically and mentally ready to come back. 3) They still need to do the physical. 

Until the physical is done, any pronouncement is premature, and unnecessary. Just wait and see what happens. 

I agree but that is not the way media works which has been my main point. If Manning had never left it open that he might not return and if Elway did not turn over his coaching staff then I do think this season would have been like the previous three. But everything change at season's end which is there is so much speculation.

I agree but that is not the way media works which has been my main point. If Manning had never left it open that he might not return and if Elway did not turn over his coaching staff then I do think this season would have been like the previous three. But everything change at season's end which is there is so much speculation.

The media doesn't create facts. 

You mean like the stuff reported on Deflate-gate that you shot down as false initially?

You're reaching for a story. It's like you want to see the Broncos discard Peyton...

I am always looking at the communications angles whether it be the Rice situation, deflatefate, or Manning and the Broncos. I have been pretty consistent throughout that there are no absolutes when it comes to the media and reporting. We are in the bubble. The fourth dimension if you will. Conflicting/contrary reports are the norm and you have to try to look deeper to understand what is trying to be communicated. It is a web of mixed messages, skillful PR people and reporters that are used by organizations to send or create a message.

In terms of the Pats, I think there is still a chance that they could be implicated with the balls. We will see where the investigation goes but Belichick does not do that science presser one week before the SB if there is nothing there. Something happened. We just don't know what or how yet.

In terms of Manning, it is tough to read Elway. But he blew everything up this off-season and at that time, Manning said he was not sure if he would come back. Why Elway has not just come out and said "Manning is our QB" is the curious part. Maybe he will this week or next week or maybe there is another shoe to drop. I don't know just trying to read the veiled signs.

I am always looking at the communications angles whether it be the Rice situation, deflatefate, or Manning and the Broncos. I have been pretty consistent throughout that there are no absolutes when it comes to the media and reporting. We are in the bubble. The fourth dimension if you will. Conflicting/contrary reports are the norm and you have to try to look deeper to understand what is trying to be communicated. It is a web of mixed messages, skillful PR people and reporters that are used by organizations to send or create a message.

In terms of the Pats, I think there is still a chance that they could be implicated with the balls. We will see where the investigation goes but Belichick does not do that science presser one week before the SB if there is nothing there. Something happened. We just don't know what or how yet.

In terms of Manning, it is tough to read Elway. But he blew everything up this off-season and at that time, Manning said he was not sure if he would come back. Why Elway has not just come out and said "Manning is our QB" is the curious part. Maybe he will this week or next week or maybe there is another shoe to drop. I don't know just trying to read the veiled signs.

what has elway blown up this off season exactly?

We have to do that anyways. This forum exists to opine. 

No offense but if you want to give opinions on whether he should return or not thats fair...but at this point. Broncos said they want him back...Peyton said he wants to be back....there is no room left for opinion on this anymore....whether he SHOULD be back etc...sure...have at it...but not "IF" he will be. I know its the offseason and all but really at this point there is ZERO rush. It gets done when it gets done....probably by his guaranteed date. People have vacations etc....they have no obligation to talk to the media or worry about media spin right now. People will right anything trying to get a click.

No offense but if you want to give opinions on whether he should return or not thats fair...but at this point. Broncos said they want him back...Peyton said he wants to be back....there is no room left for opinion on this anymore....whether he SHOULD be back etc...sure...have at it...but not "IF" he will be. I know its the offseason and all but really at this point there is ZERO rush. It gets done when it gets done....probably by his guaranteed date. People have vacations etc....they have no obligation to talk to the media or worry about media spin right now. People will right anything trying to get a click.

Exactly. At this point, it's apparently all about the physical, which hadn't happened as of last Thursday. I'm sure Elway will take questions on the topic this week at the Combine, and if there's anything to report, he'll do it at that time. Until then, it's just grasping at straws.

It's one thing to say 'I think this or that will or should happen,' but it's another to dismiss what's actually been reported in favor of a more juicy angle. 

Bottom line is this.

Denver's front office knows more than the public does about the injuries Manning was playing with at the end of last year. And let's face it... Manning was average, at best, for most of the last two months of 2014. He had a good September and October, but to me, he looked like an old man out there in December and in the game against the Colts. 

So it comes down to the question of whether his play was tied more to the thigh injury he had or if it was more of an overall physical decline expected from a QB pushing 40 (and one with a history of multiple neck surgeries). I have to believe, if the Broncos think he's done, that they wouldn't be entertaining the idea of bringing him back. So that, to me, means that his injuries were really impeding him and that Elway believes a healthy Manning can get them where he wants them to be. 

I would like to see him come back, but only if he's able to perform at a high level. It sucked (even as a rival) seeing him struggle at the end of last year. The NFL will not be the same without him if/when he does retire. 

Bottom line is this.

Denver's front office knows more than the public does about the injuries Manning was playing with at the end of last year. And let's face it... Manning was average, at best, for most of the last two months of 2014. He had a good September and October, but to me, he looked like an old man out there in December and in the game against the Colts. 

So it comes down to the question of whether his play was tied more to the thigh injury he had or if it was more of an overall physical decline expected from a QB pushing 40 (and one with a history of multiple neck surgeries). I have to believe, if the Broncos think he's done, that they wouldn't be entertaining the idea of bringing him back. So that, to me, means that his injuries were really impeding him and that Elway believes a healthy Manning can get them where he wants them to be. 

I would like to see him come back, but only if he's able to perform at a high level. It sucked (even as a rival) seeing him struggle at the end of last year. The NFL will not be the same without him if/when he does retire. 

I do think Mannings age makes it difficult for him to achieve ultimate SB success next year. Denver needs to keep him healthy...establish the run more...and catch a break or two (ie see what happened in the NFC playoffs with teams benefiting from some wierd scenerios). Manning's body can't compensate for bad health anymore. If something is wrong it will effect all his game. Still if he is healthy I think he is still a top 5 qb in the league....surely a team can win with one of those. Peyton got hurt late in the year along with Julius who just disappeared and the offense slowed considerably. Peyton still is good enough to win some games on his own but at what point do they build a game plan around him...as opposed to HIM being the game plan. It makes it easy for teams to game plan against when you run the same offense all the time...with few wrinkles etc...now I know Peyton likes his offense but I think adding Kubiak might help change things up just enough to give opposing teams something different. One thing about NE that is head and shoulders above the league is that their coaching staff seems to always have their team in position or running plays that will be successful. They change things up week to week much more than other teams. The adjustments they make is great. Thats a nice advantage that few teams seem to be able to depend on. NE has some great coaches (I know I know thats well known) but I think Denver much like the Colts in the past could use some new schemes sprinkled in. Peyton has been running the same plays for almost 20 yrs. Everyone knows what is coming. Granted Peyton and company usually out executes the other team but the great ones give you more problems.....and in January when the defenses and coaches are usually the elite of the NFL....if they know what is coming...or can disrupt it...makes it dang difficult.

Saw the only tweet from Skip Bayless today that I ever agreed with. If you are Peyton Manning or Kobe Bryant at the end of your careers based on your career on field earnings and your endorsements how are you not playing for free so you can get the best team around you to win another championship? The money isn't going to stop coming in for either of them all of a sudden when they retire...

Saw the only tweet from Skip Bayless today that I ever agreed with. If you are Peyton Manning or Kobe Bryant at the end of your careers based on your career on field earnings and your endorsements how are you not playing for free so you can get the best team around you to win another championship? The money isn't going to stop coming in for either of them all of a sudden when they retire...

Bingo Bango Bongo ....nail meet head .

This episode in the peyton manning saga ...Mr. Super-Mod  & Company  ...is about MUN-NEE .

Kept waiting for someone to chime in with the answer ...WTG baba .

PS -  I'm biased of course - but taking your foot off the greed -pedal as your career's idles down is one more reason why Brady > Manning .

Bingo Bango Bongo ....nail meet head .

This episode in the peyton manning saga ...Mr. Super-Mod & Company ...is about MUN-NEE .

Kept waiting for someone to chime in with the answer ...WTG baba .

PS - I'm biased of course - but taking your foot off the greed -pedal as your career's idles down is one more reason why Brady > Manning .

Let's relax a little on that. Brady restructured to keep Revis and is taking more money in the long run. He is also not the major breadwinner in the house.

That being said Peyton can make far more in TV and ads which is why he should be playing for peanuts now.

Let's relax a little on that. Brady restructured to keep Revis and is taking more money in the long run. He is also not the major breadwinner in the house.

That being said Peyton can make far more in TV and ads which is why he should be playing for peanuts now.

Yea im not sure why Manning would want to collect every last dime at this point in his career.. He wants to go out with another Lombardi and hes got endorsements out the wazoo...  I can't even imagine what he makes from his Papa Johns ownership of 50 or so stores...

Other than ego, he has no reason to take a bit of a pay cut to ensure that he has the best team around him to win a championship at this point in his career.

What is interesting here is Brady gave back his guarantee which is cash is Kraft's pocket. We have a sports radio personality here who always talks about the cap and cash and says forget the cap. Just forget the cap. That is just paper and economics and teams can do whatever deals they want and structure however they want to get the players they need. He says watch the cash. The cash is what it is in the owners pocket and also what gives them the most flexibility in terms of deals. Most believe there has to be something else that happens with Brady as there is no sane reason why he would give up that guarantee especially at age 37. I don't believe the $3 mil bump was all there is to that deal. That being said, I don't believe the Pats can touch his deal again to next season as the CBA has a rule that a players deal can only be touched once per season.

I agree about Peyton taking a cut at this stage but I don't think it will happen.

Kobe won't win another championship with the lakers and he doesn't need to.

Even if he play for free, how can he get through Houston, OKC, Spurs, Warriors, rockets, Portland, Memphis, clippers, and Phoenix? Those teams are stacked.

This "giving away money to build a championship in a year" in the NBA is fools gold and false hope. Duncan has never attracted a great FA player. He only took less to keep his team. Dirk did but he hasn't won a championship doing that either. He won in 2010 when he was actually paid. Only the celtics and heat did that successfully. And those situations are RARE. You won't get multiple superstars in their prime in a team again. The new CBA fixed that.

For Peyton, it's different. He needs to win.

Kubiak stated he wants Peyton at the combine yesterday AM.

"No, I'm expecting him to come back," Kubiak said, via the Denver Post. "We want to play with him. This organization has won a lot of games with him and we want to get back and do it again. Expecting him to come back."

I think people forget that Peyton Manning is a rep for the players union. He believes players should be fairly compensated for their worth. By him taking less it gives the owners power to go to their qbs and drive down their prices. Peyton owes it to every qb in the league to get his fair market value and not low ball them. Not saying Tom is wrong for how he has done things and Peyton has restructured several times to keep players after their first SB and to re-sign guys like Marvin and Reggie....so it isn't like he hasn't worked with the team to keep them competitive. For a man that has hundreds of millions of dollars he is not motivated by money...he wants to win ball games. People want him to play for free but all that would do is hurt the other players in the league at his position...seeing as how franchise tags etc are determined. Its not like he is trying to get more money. The Broncos felt he was worth it...and he was...I can't imagine how much money they have made with him coming there. He is being paid a fair market price for his services. I'm not saying he can't restructure to help his team but asking people to play for free or take pennies is just dumb. Everything can't be done in a vaccum....there are real world consequences to him doing something like that and it would hurt the league. Honestly it comes down to this guy is at the end of his career...its very difficult to exit and not leave a mess on the books with a potential reworking of contract. Denver has plenty of cap space and a very very good roster. Imo some key injuries and some really poor play and coaching ended a really good season. Peytons contract isn't stoping them from winning....that is certain.

I think people forget that Peyton Manning is a rep for the players union. 

I don't think Manning has ever been a player rep, just FYI. Jeff Saturday was the player rep in Indy, then it's been Jim Leonhard, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme and Von Miller in Denver.

But yes, Manning has done a lot to advocate for players, and has even mentioned that he feels an obligation to other players in the league when it comes to his pay. I think a player at the end of his career who has made a ton of money can set aside that obligation, but I don't think he should be compelled to do so. I stated earlier that I think it would make sense, but I don't want people to misunderstand and think I'm saying he's greedy or selfish if he doesn't reduce his salary / cap hit. I also think the suggestion that he should play for minimum is flat out absurd.

Also, with the salary floor rules, the players will get their cut of the football revenue, one way or the other. So some of the duty to keep owners honest has subsided.

I don't think Manning has ever been a player rep, just FYI. Jeff Saturday was the player rep in Indy, then it's been Jim Leonhard, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme and Von Miller in Denver.

But yes, Manning has done a lot to advocate for players, and has even mentioned that he feels an obligation to other players in the league when it comes to his pay. I think a player at the end of his career who has made a ton of money can set aside that obligation, but I don't think he should be compelled to do so. I stated earlier that I think it would make sense, but I don't want people to misunderstand and think I'm saying he's greedy or selfish if he doesn't reduce his salary / cap hit. I also think the suggestion that he should play for minimum is flat out absurd.

Also, with the salary floor rules, the players will get their cut of the football revenue, one way or the other. So some of the duty to keep owners honest has subsided.

Gotcha...I just remember him and Brees during the lockout meeting with the league to help the players side. I know everyone would get a cut...but to say he should play for the minimum or something I think would be setting a bad precidence. I think if he can restructure he would to save some players...he has done it before...but I think timing etc in this case means there isn't much room to restructure.

Gotcha...I just remember him and Brees during the lockout meeting with the league to help the players side. I know everyone would get a cut...but to say he should play for the minimum or something I think would be setting a bad precidence. I think if he can restructure he would to save some players...he has done it before...but I think timing etc in this case means there isn't much room to restructure.

have people been suggesting he play for the minimum? That's absurd if true, but I don't think it's that crazy to suggest he work his deal down and make it more cap friendly to try and build his white steed to ride off into the sunset with another SB ring.

I don't think it makes him greedy or selfish or anything if he chooses not to do it, but if I were him I'd ask myself what would have more meaning to me in life, having some more millions that would just be lost in a sea of millions that he already has and will continue to grow with his lucrative business ventures, or to have another SB ring?

Manning is beyond set for life, that guy can't sneeze without a million coming out of his nose. He owns like 50 papa Johns restaurants... I can't even wrap my brain around how much income those must generate him. .

When you're lookin at a number this big:

$357,093,745.00 are you really going to notice if a couple of those numbers are different? Is it going to impact your life in any way shape or form? Other than the first number changing, he wouldn't be able to notice any of the other numbers

have people been suggesting he play for the minimum? That's absurd if true, but I don't think it's that crazy to suggest he work his deal down and make it more cap friendly to try and build his white steed to ride off into the sunset with another SB ring.

I don't think it makes him greedy or selfish or anything if he chooses not to do it, but if I were him I'd ask myself what would have more meaning to me in life, having some more millions that would just be lost in a sea of millions that he already has and will continue to grow with his lucrative business ventures, or to have another SB ring?

Manning is beyond set for life, that guy can't sneeze without a million coming out of his nose. He owns like 50 papa Johns restaurants... I can't even wrap my brain around how much income those must generate him. .

When you're lookin at a number this big:

$357,093,745.00 are you really going to notice if a couple of those numbers are different? Is it going to impact your life in any way shape or form? Other than the first number changing, he wouldn't be able to notice any of the other numbers

He's restructured before...and I totally get that. I think honestly he has a fair market value contract to be honest...and I think most people agree. He also set it up so Denver was protected and could void it at any time so if he didn't live up to the contract because of health they could get out. He really doesnt have any time left to restructure much if any...I'm sure if it made since to the team and Peyton and company he would do it. Honestly I don't think they need much restructuring...they have plenty of cap space to sign who they need to probably minus Julius who I'm not sure they want back honestly.

Just as an update, both Kubiak and Elway have reiterated that they want Manning back, and are hopeful that he comes back. 

I was just watching ESPN and Elway said he is hopeful Manning will be back but I guess they are still awaiting his official word. I wonder if Manning wants to see how the team shapes up before committing?

I was just watching ESPN and Elway said he is hopeful Manning will be back but I guess they are still awaiting his official word. I wonder if Manning wants to see how the team shapes up before committing?

No, I'm sure he knows what the plan is already. There is no hurry for him to make his decision public. He will play, I'm certain of that

No, I'm sure he knows what the plan is already. There is no hurry for him to make his decision public. He will play, I'm certain of that

This is true..

...as much as we follow the day-to-day dealings..

Its still late February... I;m sure its in the hands of the agent and Bronco financial folks