Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning re-doing contract

oldunclemark

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a unique situation which is why the player comments are not typical. Manning has made more money than any player in NFL history. It would make sense at this point to lower his salary in an effort to get the ring but I am not really sure just how good this Denver team is to compete in the AFC. They signed a bunch of FAs last year on the defense and it still had major issues. And then offensively there is still no real run game. They will have to upgrade that and I would also think Kubiak will want to bring in some of his own guys to fit his system. And then they have their own big game FAs to sign. All of this would be helped for sure by Manning taking less money but really that FO has some tough, tough decisions to make this off-season regardless of what Manning does.

What team are you talking about? The Broncos defense and run game were fine last year.

What team are you talking about? The Broncos defense and run game were fine last year.

I thought so...CJ Anderson led the NFL in rushing the final 7 weeks..

...The Broncos need O-line help, as we've said..but that's not super bucks additions..

Demariyus Thomas gets a big raise as does Pot Roast Knighton....

I think they're talking about Julius Thomas and how he fits in..and maybe Wes Welker's future..and Jacob Tamme.

Manning likes his guys

..maybe he wants to find a way to keep them.

Denver isn't going to spend millions on new defensive players. They don't need to

The defense was ranked 16th in points allowed and the rush game while it was adequate is not going to cut it with CJ Anderson, not behind that line which also needs an upgrade. They are going to have to get a better back. I think the Ball experiment is over or at least it should be.

The defense was ranked 16th in points allowed and the rush game while it was adequate is not going to cut it with CJ Anderson, not behind that line which also needs an upgrade. They are going to

have to get a better back. I think the Ball experiment is over or at least it should be.

why won't Anderson "cut it" He played great the second half of the season

Me. ;)

All you need to know about CJ is he was not able to put a hurt on a Colts defense that the Pats tore up twice this season, the first with a nobody practice squad back.

Nobody but the Pats really ran on us all year. LeSean McCoy, Demarco Murray, Leveon Bell, etc. Arian Foster had some decent games, but we had a lead and played a lot of nickel.

CJ Anderson is fine.

Nobody but the Pats really ran on us all year. LeSean McCoy, Demarco Murray, Leveon Bell, etc. Arian Foster had some decent games, but we had a lead and played a lot of nickel.

CJ Anderson is fine.

It will be interesting to see what Kubiak does with that position. When he was OC in Denver he had Terrell Davis, in Houston he had Foster and in Baltimore he had Rice. I think he looks to upgrade from Anderson if he can especially if Denver is going to morph into a run first type of team.

It will be interesting to see what Kubiak does with that position. When he was OC in Denver he had Terrell Davis, in Houston he had Foster and in Baltimore he had Rice. I think he looks to upgrade from Anderson if he can especially if Denver is going to morph into a run first type of team.

He didn't have Rice.

The defense was ranked 16th in points allowed and the rush game while it was adequate is not going to cut it with CJ Anderson, not behind that line which also needs an upgrade. They are going to have to get a better back. I think the Ball experiment is over or at least it should be.

This is one of those "nothing" statements you're keen on making. In which you declare something and back it up with nothing. Explain why CJ Anderson, a guy who rushed for like 800 yards over the final 7 weeks in the season won't "cut it".

This is one of those "nothing" statements you're keen on making. In which you declare something and back it up with nothing. Explain why CJ Anderson, a guy who rushed for like 800 yards over the final 7 weeks in the season won't "cut it".

Just an opinion. I don't see greatness there. He was not impressive vs the Colts in the post-season when they needed him to carry the offense. I think he is a fine back. I just don't see him as the same caliber of back that Kubiak likes to have. That was my main reason for making the statement.

1. He had TD until he was injured. He then had Rueben Droghens, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson. They had success with all of those "big name" backs.

2. He didn't have Foster until his fourth season in Houston. Steve Slaton ran for over 1200 yards though. Yet another big name back.

3.,Rice never played a down for him in Baltimore. But big

name back Justin Forsett had a pretty big year.

Kinda squashes your entire premise. Don't allow facts to get in the way though

1. He had TD until he was injured. He then had Rueben Droghens, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson. They had success with all of those "big name" backs.

2. He didn't have Foster until his fourth season in Houston. Steve Slaton ran for over 1200 yards though. Yet another big name back.

3.,Rice never played a down for him in Baltimore. But big

name back Justin Forsett had a pretty big year.

Kinda squashes your entire premise. Don't allow facts to get in the way though

No premise. I didn't realize what I thought was a harmless comment would elicit such a reaction. I don't think Anderson is a bum or a scrub but I do think Kubiak may look at upgrading the position if he can. Or he may just look to upgrade the line and stick with Anderson. I just feel that if they are going to focus more on the run they may need more than Anderson and Hillman.

I don't think it's hard to find a decent quality back, even if they want to replace or supplement Anderson. He's not untouchable, but he's definitely not a liability. As has been mentioned, he finished the season pretty strong, and that's after being the third or fourth back all year long. It's not a weakness for them.

I don't think it's hard to find a decent quality back, even if they want to replace or supplement Anderson. He's not untouchable, but he's definitely not a liability. As has been mentioned, he finished the season pretty strong, and that's after being the third or fourth back all year long. It's not a weakness for them.

he wasn't a weakness at all. They would have been sunk even faster if he didn't make that 4th and 1 run he did against us. Problem is injured on OL. Guys playing out of position like Vasquez. Peyton got hurt and they couldn't protect. Also denver doesn't disguise ANYTHING! Here is our offense. You know what we will do stop us. We game planned and did it. NE on the other hand is multiple in everything they do. Looks formations and can run or pass out of everything. I would rather gameplan for Denver any day of the week than belicheck and mcdaniels.

You'd think Manning makes enough from his Papa Johns franchises and Buick, Nationwise, whatever commercials to offer a little hometown discount in order to keep other star players.

using that logic..he should play for free..right?

.....Peyton's money is his.....I doubt they'll ask him to take a cut....I think they can turn some of it into a bonus for cap purposes..

.....Peyton's money is his.....I doubt they'll ask him to take a cut....I think they can turn some of it into a bonus for cap purposes..

That only pushes cap obligation into 2016. It's not really a solution in this case. I think they'd either be looking at an extension with voidable years, or an actual reduction in pay. 

This is all speculative, at this point, obviously.

That only pushes cap obligation into 2016. It's not really a solution in this case. I think they'd either be looking at an extension with voidable years, or an actual reduction in pay. 

This is all speculative, at this point, obviously.

I'm just guessing as well and its my understanding you are 100% right...the only way to turn salary into bonus is with an extension,

But Elway and Peyton may simply agree to 'live for today' and go one year at a time...

Beyond this season....other money could come off the books..including Ware's $10 mil and I believe Ryan Clady's $11 mil..

They might just deal with that 2016 problem when they get to it..

If Julius Thomas isn't staying in Denver..the need for Manning to re-do his deal almost disappears

Not really. They could still use the additional cap space to upgrade other spots on the roster. It's not necessarily a need to begin with; I don't think he's overpaid, and they still have cap space. But it would still help.

Not really. They could still use the additional cap space to upgrade other spots on the roster. It's not necessarily a need to begin with; I don't think he's overpaid, and they still have cap space. But it would still help.

I wonder if this isn't Elway telling him you are no longer worth the $19 mil given what we saw the last half of the season. Assuming this contract neg. is even happening. I just can't see why they would touch Manning at all with $25 mil in cap space to begin with unless this was some type of power play by Elway.

I knew that'd get taken out of context. 

I'm not saying he should play for free, incorrect. I would just think he'd rework his contract, and if he wants other players to stay, then maybe take a small cut/restructure to help increase the team's cap money. 

Peyton can restructure all he wants. I don't believe he will sniff another Super Bowl. He is all but done. Looks like we will have to watch him play as a shell of himself for a bit before he realizes the writing on the wall. The greats too often go out that way. Sigh...

39 tds is a pretty good shell

I wonder if this isn't Elway telling him you are no longer worth the $19 mil given what we saw the last half of the season. Assuming this contract neg. is even happening. I just can't see why they would touch Manning at all with $25 mil in cap space to begin with unless this was some type of power play by Elway.

That would be a stretch.

That would be a stretch.

Yes. This whole things seems strange. Just throwing things out on this hold up. Manning has already said he wants to come back. He met with Elway and still no announcement? Do you think there is some discussion with how the offense will run? I am not buying the pay cut/restructure on this as that would not prohibit them from announcing Manning's return. They could announce his return and them redo his contract anytime.

It is definitely Peyton's way of saying "no way do I want DT and Pot Roast to leave the Broncos, 2 key components of the Broncos on O and D, IMO". Peyton re-structured several times with the Colts and that ended up with the Colts could (unfortunately) overpaying Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark, and even Gary Brackett and Kelvin Hayden :(.

It is not having the cap room, it is what you do with it ultimately matters. No Daniel Snyder like offseason sweepstakes to get a run stopping safety like T.J.Ward while your weakness is safety coverage, and go get a guy who gives you a few great games and whole bunch of above average in DeMarcus Ware.

Talib, I still felt was used in zone too much by JDR, and put on speedy wideouts while his strength was matching against bigger and physical wideouts. JDR used him on T.Y., and that was not so smart, most educated fans would have preferred Chris Harris. Belichick just bracketed him every time with a #3 CB and a safety.

You can have the best tools in the shed but need to know how best to use them.

39 tds is a pretty good shell

Don't think he will ever throw for that many again. Teams got physical with him and it took its toll on him as the season went on. He wasn't the same quarterback in the last quarter of the season. People blame it on his leg injury but as the body ages injuries occur with more frequency. It will likely always be something. Any way I'm not entirely convinced that all of Peyton's fall off can be blamed on that leg injury. He never had the strongest of arms to begin with.

Don't think he will ever throw for that many again. Teams got physical with him and it took its toll on him as the season went on. He wasn't the same quarterback in the last quarter of the season. People blame it on his leg injury but as the body ages injuries occur with more frequency. It will likely always be something. Any way I'm not entirely convinced that all of Peyton's fall off can be blamed on that leg injury. He never had the strongest of arms to begin with.

yeah.. I tend to agree. It's like I'm 65 years old. I work out 4 times a week and can bench 150LBs. I can work my brains out for the next 5 years and I'll guarantee you that I'll be benching something less than 150LBS at age 70. Age get's everyone. It might be strength fist . Or it could be reflexes or as you say , the body giving out. The age that QB's seem to deteriorate appears to be around 38. Manning has pushed it a bit because he's so smart and knows how to get the ball out quickly. It also helps that he has some great weapons to throw to. 

Talib, I still felt was used in zone too much by JDR, and put on speedy wideouts while his strength was matching against bigger and physical wideouts. JDR used him on T.Y., and that was not so smart, most educated fans would have preferred Chris Harris. Belichick just bracketed him every time with a #3 CB and a safety.

You can have the best tools in the shed but need to know how best to use them.

What the Broncos defense did against us was insane, IMO. Made zero sense. They have similar defensive personnel to the Pats; Talib and Harris aren't as good as Revis individually, but that tandem is better than Revis/Browner, yet they played a passive zone throughout that game, rather than attacking. They didn't mix and match with Ware and Miller, they didn't attack the right side of our line, etc. If anyone wants to understand why Elway was over John Fox, that game is kind of a synopsis.

Their offensive gameplan was weird, too.

Peyton can restructure all he wants. I don't believe he will sniff another Super Bowl. He is all but done. Looks like we will have to watch him play as a shell of himself for a bit before he realizes the writing on the wall. The greats too often go out that way. Sigh...

Didn't people say that after the Baltimore loss a couple years ago.....hmmm.