Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Rice admits cheating.

Narcosys

Snow Bowl is what you guys call it? Lol

LOL, you know I didn't even do that consciously... around here it's generally called "The Snow Bowl." 

No issue with the Tuck Rule though. I mean, dumb rule (which is why they eliminated it), but properly enforced in that one. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, you know I didn't even do that consciously... around here it's generally called "The Snow Bowl." 

No issue with the Tuck Rule though. I mean, dumb rule (which is why they eliminated it), but properly enforced in that one.

I actually think it was a horrible overturn when you consider some of the calls they deem inconclusive....not that it matters at this point.

I actually think it was a horrible overturn when you consider some of the calls they deem inconclusive....not that it matters at this point.

The rule itself was flawed, IMO. We were familiar with it prior to that game because it was called in a Pats-Jets game earlier that year. I don't think it was improperly called, but you're right, at this point it doesn't matter. 

Well in the context of how it was dug up needs to be pointed out.  What is frustrating is that sometimes folks get all Federal case about stuff and then when the same thing happens to another, like teams warming balls, it is completely forgotten about.   

In the whirlwind of Deflategate, Rice chimed in and said the team cheated.  He just needed to be reminded about what they say about glass houses, that is all.

As for Deflategate it will be interesting to find out what the NFL finds and who, if any, is responsible.

True about things sometimes being a big deal and sometimes not.

I'm currently scratching my head over the whole Brian Williams thing.  But then, I suppose I was never aware of his tall tales so I didn't feel lied to. Credibility is important for a news editor.  Guess he just cannot be trusted with stories about himself.  And yes, it is disturbing how much glee the villagers have in calling for his head. So I get that.

Seems silly for Rice to have inserted his foot in his mouth like that.  Perhaps cheating is that pervasive.  Perhaps it's that so much time had gone by that he didn't think it was relevant anymore.

Is his career is a 'news' person also over? I cannot keep straight the punishments that result from social media outrage.

Silly also for Rice to open his mouth and insert his foot.

It was called correctly according to the rule which was an odd rule anyways. Now admit it, part of you did enjoy watching the Raiders lose like that. lol. Back then they were more unlikeable than the Pats. And of course as Pats fans, we saw it as retribution for 1976.

It was called correctly according to the rule which was an odd rule anyways. Now admit it, part of you did enjoy watching the Raiders lose like that. lol. Back then they were more unlikeable than the Pats. And of course as Pats fans, we saw it as retribution for 1976.

I actually grew up a Raiders fan. Probably the last franchise to be disliked for actual reasons. I didn't have any feelings toward them at that point though.

What most don't realize is intent vs rule. Did Brady intend to tuck it- probably not and that's what gets most fans against it.

However the refs do not rule on intent- how could they actually. Basically its an imaginary horizontal line and the ball was below that line, not much mind you but enough to conform to the rule.

Most never heard of Tuck because its was always called as an incomplete pass in the logs.

The rule itself was flawed, IMO. We were familiar with it prior to that game because it was called in a Pats-Jets game earlier that year. I don't think it was improperly called, but you're right, at this point it doesn't matter. 

Pretty sure it was twp- the Texans game which I saw. We won in spite of it being called against us.

Pretty sure it was twp- the Texans game which I saw. We won in spite of it being called against us.

Looked it up... it was actually THE game... the Mo Lewis game...

In Week 2 at home against the Jets, Anthony Pleasant strip-sacked Vinny Testaverde on first and goal from the Patriots 10 in the second quarter, and Richard Seymour recovered the fumble.

The play was reversed after review under the tuck rule. Despite retaining possession, the Jets didn’t score a touchdown but did get a field goal, tying the game at 3-3. Curtis Martin’s third-quarter TD gave New York a 10-3 win.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/03/20/nfl-rescinds-tuck-rule/HvKSMTSMVWYDfGVMljdVxN/story.html

It was outlawed in 1981. Jerry Rice entered the NFL in 1985.

So yes, it was cheating. And you're right, I'd bet a ton of players around the league were using it as well. Just like there were tons of other teams stealing defensive signals, including video taping them.

The sheer hypocrisy from some, and especally guys like Rice who went on TV and took a dump all over the Pats for something that they didn't do and had not even been proven to be true, is quite simply stated... astounding.

How do you go on air and throw stones at someone who hasnt even been found guilty of violating a rule when you yourself were using illegal means to gain a competitive advantage?

It's mind boggling.

And the people saying "oh really, this was 20 years ago it doesn't matter.. its just Pats fans trying to deflect!"

Sorry, but that's total bull and you know it. It shows that this game since it's creation has been shady and bush league. It shows that people are hypocrites. It shows how ugly human beings can be in an age of social media and instant gratification, combined with a constant desire to pry into people's lives for any dirt you can get your hands on, whether real or imagined, and then use that to bludgeon someone to death with it over the internet and judge them.

What happened to the Patriots was a disgusting display of a mob mentality with a torch and pitchfork. Tom Brady has done everything right for 15+ years of being in this league, working his tail off and making personal sacrifices to be great, and doing it in a classy way. For the media to so carelessly drag his name through the mud and make accusations based on preliminary, inaccurate reports and then follow that up with calling him a liar after he addresses it in a press conference while trying to prepare for the biggest game of their careers at the pinnacle of their profession is nothing short of DISGUSTING.

Everyone who participated in that witch hunt and perpetuated that story should be ashamed of themselves and held accountable for their slandering remarks. I hope Kraft sues them into bankruptcy once the results of the investigation are made public.

Good luck with that lawsuit. lmao

Looked it up... it was actually THE game... the Mo Lewis game...

In Week 2 at home against the Jets, Anthony Pleasant strip-sacked Vinny Testaverde on first and goal from the Patriots 10 in the second quarter, and Richard Seymour recovered the fumble.

The play was reversed after review under the tuck rule. Despite retaining possession, the Jets didn’t score a touchdown but did get a field goal, tying the game at 3-3. Curtis Martin’s third-quarter TD gave New York a 10-3 win.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/03/20/nfl-rescinds-tuck-rule/HvKSMTSMVWYDfGVMljdVxN/story.html

That game I don't remember- since they always say incomplete. It was also called in a Texan game or somewhere down south away game. that's why I said two that year. We won that game but would have been easier with the fumble recovery.

Personally I didn't mind the rule because if the QB is pulling it back in he is helpless unlike a RB. I guess the Raiders game freaked them all out........

It was outlawed in 1981. Jerry Rice entered the NFL in 1985.

So yes, it was cheating. And you're right, I'd bet a ton of players around the league were using it as well. Just like there were tons of other teams stealing defensive signals, including video taping them.

The sheer hypocrisy from some, and especally guys like Rice who went on TV and took a dump all over the Pats for something that they didn't do and had not even been proven to be true, is quite simply stated... astounding.

How do you go on air and throw stones at someone who hasnt even been found guilty of violating a rule when you yourself were using illegal means to gain a competitive advantage?

It's mind boggling.

And the people saying "oh really, this was 20 years ago it doesn't matter.. its just Pats fans trying to deflect!"

Sorry, but that's total bull and you know it. It shows that this game since it's creation has been shady and bush league. It shows that people are hypocrites. It shows how ugly human beings can be in an age of social media and instant gratification, combined with a constant desire to pry into people's lives for any dirt you can get your hands on, whether real or imagined, and then use that to bludgeon someone to death with it over the internet and judge them.

What happened to the Patriots was a disgusting display of a mob mentality with a torch and pitchfork. Tom Brady has done everything right for 15+ years of being in this league, working his tail off and making personal sacrifices to be great, and doing it in a classy way. For the media to so carelessly drag his name through the mud and make accusations based on preliminary, inaccurate reports and then follow that up with calling him a liar after he addresses it in a press conference while trying to prepare for the biggest game of their careers at the pinnacle of their profession is nothing short of DISGUSTING.

Everyone who participated in that witch hunt and perpetuated that story should be ashamed of themselves and held accountable for their slandering remarks. I hope Kraft sues them into bankruptcy once the results of the investigation are made public.

I didn't realize that the Pats were cleared of all wrong doing. Do you have some links so I can catch up on this ?

Good luck with that lawsuit. lmao

Not to mention the fact that the NFL didn't give a poop about stick-um. I mean ... really tough to catch a guy. Um.. how about having him extend his hands forward after making a catch ? Kind of like saying if you lied to your mommy about eating your carrots , you never should have any animosity for anyone lying .. no matter what the issue might be. Rice took what Mort said and ran with it. Rarely does a guy like him have such bad info. What can you do ? Maybe they did  nothing , maybe they did something that can't be traced back to them or maybe they will be nailed to the wall. 

Gamesmanship and subterfuge is in my opinion a part of the attraction of football. It's a part of the tradition. If you can get away with something, go for it. Hell...I remember as a kid watching a Brady Bunch episode where the plot centered around a player from a rival school trying to steal Greg's playbook. Where'd that idea come from? This stuff has been going on forever and who really cares? The only people I ever hear complaining about it are the fans of the teams who lose.  

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously?

20 years later. Man, a true hero of integrity right there!

That's my problem with it too. The timing of it decades after Jerry Rice even played. I 'm glad Cris Carter said don't put me in that category Rice. I never cheated. Thank you. 

My other issue is this: What's the advantage of admitting you cheated now? It reminds me of when tennis star Andre Agassi admitted to passing a drug test with pot in his bloodstream after he retired from the sport. If you don't get busted for it while playing, why cop to the criminal infraction at all? It's like showing up & agreeing to pay a $200 fine for speeding to the State Patrol office for going 80 MPH even though you the driver were never actually pulled over at the time of the law breaking offense. 

Okay, if you wanna clear your conscious as an athlete & be a role model to young kids that's understandable I guess, but it's like when your wife or girlfriend asks you do these jeans make my butt look big? Sometimes, manipulating the truth is better than the actual truth for the sake of everyone's reputation, fandom, & collective piece of mind. JMO. 

That's extremely disappointing. So much for the G.O.A.T.

Guess Marvin had the best hands after all.

Actually for my money, Cris Carter had the best WR hands I have ever seen. I have a ton of respect for Marvin man, but Cris was amazing at snagging footballs out of the air MOW. 

Plus, he took Randy Moss under his wing & taught him how to be a professional WR during his rookie year in Minnesota too. That buys a lot of credibility with me. Carter's role in Moss's development. 

True about things sometimes being a big deal and sometimes not.

I'm currently scratching my head over the whole Brian Williams thing.  But then, I suppose I was never aware of his tall tales so I didn't feel lied to. Credibility is important for a news editor.  Guess he just cannot be trusted with stories about himself.  And yes, it is disturbing how much glee the villagers have in calling for his head. So I get that.

Seems silly for Rice to have inserted his foot in his mouth like that.  Perhaps cheating is that pervasive.  Perhaps it's that so much time had gone by that he didn't think it was relevant anymore.

Is his career is a 'news' person also over? I cannot keep straight the punishments that result from social media outrage.

Silly also for Rice to open his mouth and insert his foot.

Brian Williams does deserve credit for admitting publicly on air that he lied/ exaggerated some untruths on the air. Personally, I think a month without pay is too severe. 2 weeks without pay is more than enough punishment. Not every anchor can be measured up against say Edward R. Murrow or Walter Cronkite nor should they be; the news now is soundbyte headlines anyway with very little in depth analysis on broadcast TV, cable TV, or satellite TV Nadine. 

Honestly, NBC News is getting carried away with this minor scandal about an anchor who got a little gallant war reporter crazy that's it. Mr. Williams got caught fibbing, was disciplined, & within 2 months everything will return to normal & no one will care anymore. 

Brian Williams does deserve credit for admitting publicly on air that he lied/ exaggerated some untruths on the air. Personally, I think a month without pay is too severe. 2 weeks without pay is more than enough punishment. Not every anchor can be measured up against say Edward R. Murrow or Walter Cronkite nor should they be; the news now is soundbyte headlines anyway with very little in depth analysis on broadcast TV, cable TV, or satellite TV Nadine. 

Honestly, NBC News is getting carried away with this minor scandal about an anchor who got a little gallant war reporter crazy that's it. Mr. Williams got caught fibbing, was disciplined, & within 2 months everything will return to normal & no one will care anymore. 

As one who think 95% of scandals are silly......... in fact what he did I wouldn't even call scandalous..... years later he still contended he was hit with a RPG. That's not something you mistake.  And with real hardships of soldiers fighting trying to imply you're part of it just wasn't good.

As someone who worked with the media for many years, I can tell you unequivocally that Williams career is over. All you have as a journalist/broadcaster is your integrity. His suspension for six months will effectively black ball him from the industry and if he does land a gig after he will never have the influence he once did. A very, very sad story all around.

As one who think 95% of scandals are silly......... in fact what he did I wouldn't even call scandalous..... years later he still contended he was hit with a RPG. That's not something you mistake.  And with real hardships of soldiers fighting trying to imply you're part of it just wasn't good.

I'm not condoning what Brian Williams did, but lying on the air about a news story is akin to an affair with another women who is not your wife. Will it destroy your reputation? It will cause a serious dent in it, but to me this Brian Williams matter is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Was it disrespectful to men & women serving in uniform? Yes, it was, but for anyone to think that his career is ruined is just a bit far fetched if you ask me. 

News organizations now care about rating points, profit shares, & not getting sued with expensive litigation claims that's it. 

As someone who worked with the media for many years, I can tell you unequivocally that Williams career is over. All you have as a journalist/broadcaster is your integrity. His suspension for six months will effectively black ball him from the industry and if he does land a gig after he will never have the influence he once did. A very, very sad story all around.

Why not fire Brian Williams outright then if in your eyes his career is over? In the 50's thru the 70's it was all about integrity as a journalist not now though. It's about how you look on camera your attractiveness, your likability factor to test group audiences, your connection to audience who watches you every night, & the network's fiscal bottom line. 

I disagree 100% with your conclusion AMF. Mr. Williams is not be re-assigned at all. He will resume telling the news in the same anchor chair once the suspension is lifted because he is well liked & makes sponsors who advertise on NBC very happy & profitable. 

Why not fire Brian Williams outright then if in your eyes his career is over? In the 50's thru the 70's it was all about integrity as a journalist not now though. It's about how you look on camera your attractiveness, your likability factor to test group audiences, your connection to audience who watches you every night, & the network's fiscal bottom line. 

I disagree 100% with your conclusion AMF. Mr. Williams is not be re-assigned at all. He will resume telling the news in the same anchor chair once the suspension is lifted because he is well liked & makes sponsors who advertise on NBC very happy & profitable. 

That is not the way it is done SW. A network would never take away his career like that. My point was more to his credibility as a reporter being irreparably damaged. He will never be taken seriously again or get close to the same assignments. Sponsors will not touch him when he comes back.

That is not the way it is done SW. A network would never take away his career like that. My point was more to his credibility as a reporter being irreparably damaged. He will never be taken seriously again or get close to the same assignments. Sponsors will not touch him when he comes back.

It depends what the lie was about though. If it involved say a personal sex scandal on Mr. Williams part, that would different because most TV contracts have a morality clause in them which allows a employer to fire an employee to avoid embarrassment & retain sponsors which allow a show to continue running episode to episode. 

If we fired every reporter who ever played fast & loose with the facts on air to meet a deadline, there would be no journalists left to broadcast any story on the air AMF. This to me is the equivalent of a retraction story when a reporter misquotes something. You don't fire a seasoned veteran anchor over a retraction issue. Why would sponsors fear Brian Williams back in the anchor chair? 1 on air mistake is worthy of being black balled? What are we back in the Red Scare Joseph McCarthy era again? If Mr. Williams showed a pattern of exaggerating his role in onsite location stories that he reported from hurricane disasters to tornado calamities  you'd have a point, but not after 1 foolish mistake on the air. 

There's an old saying in politics. "If sex was a disease most politicians would be dead." Translation: If you are well liked by the masses & the public forgives you, that person can survive anything. Brian Williams will return to his anchor chair, he will be genuinely remorseful for his actions, sponsors will forgive his mistake, & the network will still make money as Williams viewership fanbase never left him or significantly decline attendance in his TV block. 

" Irreparably damaged" after only 1 incident of exaggerating the truth after sitting in that anchor char for nearly a decade? Come on, that's a bit extreme AMF. If your research staff still trusts you, what's the problem? You don't sit that long on the air without making a minor mistake of self indulgent ego. It happens. It's hardly worth tanking a news man's career with only 1 tiny blemish on it. 

How can a person learn from their mistakes & grow as a professional reporter if they get black balled or fired over a mistake they make on air? A suspension is in order yes, but reassignment? Hades no. That's insane. You wanna talk lies from a news organization let's take down cable TV's FOX News Network/host Sean Hannity first before NBC & Brian Williams eh? 

I'm not condoning what Brian Williams did, but lying on the air about a news story is akin to an affair with another women who is not your wife. Will it destroy your reputation? It will cause a serious dent in it, but to me this Brian Williams matter is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Was it disrespectful to men & women serving in uniform? Yes, it was, but for anyone to think that his career is ruined is just a bit far fetched if you ask me. 

News organizations now care about rating points, profit shares, & not getting sued with expensive litigation claims that's it. 

Like I said scandals don't bother me and if he came back tomorrow fine. But I can see why NBC had to do what they did. Credibility is all a new organization has.

I can see being confused maybe the day of the incident but not years later. The only motive I can think of you're in a war zone and want to identify/relate to it so hey- an RPG hit our Chinook.

It depends what the lie was about though. If it involved say a personal sex scandal on Mr. Williams part, that would different because most TV contracts have a morality clause in them which allows a employer to fire an employee to avoid embarrassment & retain sponsors which allow a show to continue running episode to episode. 

If we fired every reporter who ever played fast & loose with the facts on air to meet a deadline, there would be no journalists left to broadcast any story on the air AMF. This to me is the equivalent of a retraction story when a reporter misquotes something. You don't fire a seasoned veteran anchor over a retraction issue. Why would sponsors fear Brian Williams back in the anchor chair? 1 on air mistake is worthy of being black balled? What are we back in the Red Scare Joseph McCarthy era again? If Mr. Williams showed a pattern of exaggerating his role in onsite location stories that he reported from hurricane disasters to tornado calamities  you'd have a point, but not after 1 foolish mistake on the air. 

There's an old saying in politics. "If sex was a disease most politicians would be dead." Translation: If you are well liked by the masses & the public forgives you, that person can survive anything. Brian Williams will return to his anchor chair, he will be genuinely remorseful for his actions, sponsors will forgive his mistake, & the network will still make money as Williams viewership fanbase never left him or significantly decline attendance in his TV block. 

" Irreparably damaged" after only 1 incident of exaggerating the truth after sitting in that anchor char for nearly a decade? Come on, that's a bit extreme AMF. If your research staff still trusts you, what's the problem? You don't sit that long on the air without making a minor mistake of self indulgent ego. It happens. It's hardly worth tanking a news man's career with only 1 tiny blemish on it. 

How can a person learn from their mistakes & grow as a professional reporter if they get black balled or fired over a mistake they make on air? A suspension is in order yes, but reassignment? Hades no. That's insane. You wanna talk lies from a news organization let's take down cable TV's FOX News Network/host Sean Hannity first before NBC & Brian Williams eh? 

This isn't a mistake SW, this is a 12 year lie. A story he told over and over for 12 years. He lied about his involvement in the war. And more stories have since surfaced that he may have lied about other things during his career. As you know what they say, one lie needs to another ...

This is what NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke, said "Williams has jeopardized the trust of millions." I am not sure how he could ever be trusted by another network at any level. And a six month suspension is pretty much the equivalent of banishment in the broadcast industry.

This isn't a mistake SW, this is a 12 year lie. A story he told over and over for 12 years. He lied about his involvement in the war. And more stories have since surfaced that he may have lied about other things during his career. As you know what they say, one lie needs to another ...

This is what NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke, said "Williams has jeopardized the trust of millions." I am not sure how he could ever be trusted by another network at any level. And a six month suspension is pretty much the equivalent of banishment in the broadcast industry.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will readily admit that I don't routinely watch Brian Williams & I am viewing this story from a neutral distance. I know who he is & I have watched his broadcast once in a while, but if he did lie about this RPG helicopter incident as well as other stories then that does establish a disturbing pattern of habitual lying. 

NBC executives released this statement as well: "We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years" That tells me that the powers that be at that network believe he can salvage if not resurrect his career there if the viewers of Nightly News are forgiving enough & sponsors love money & redemption stories since America is indeed the land of 2nd chances is it not? 

In the interest of full disclosure, I will readily admit that I don't routinely watch Brian Williams & I am viewing this story from a neutral distance. I know who he is & I have watched his broadcast once in a while, but if he did lie about this RPG helicopter incident as well as other stories then that does establish a disturbing pattern of habitual lying. 

NBC executives released this statement as well: "We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years" That tells me that the powers that be at that network believe he can salvage if not resurrect his career there if the viewers of Nightly News are forgiving enough & sponsors love money & redemption stories since America is indeed the land of 2nd chances is it not? 

I am not sure if this is something he can recover from. It would be one thing as you said in your pervious post if he had some scandal in his personal life but this is his profession that he lied about for 12 years about a war. And he works in the media where integrity and honesty are integral to the job. I think NBC had to make the statement they did to not vilify him in our explosive social media cycle but he will never work for them again.

Like I said scandals don't bother me and if he came back tomorrow fine. But I can see why NBC had to do what they did. Credibility is all a new organization has.

I can see being confused maybe the day of the incident but not years later. The only motive I can think of you're in a war zone and want to identify/relate to it so hey- an RPG hit our Chinook.

You make some valid points JJ about failing to correct ones self a year after the fact & continuing to perpetuate the same lie specifically Brian Williams falsely claiming he was on a bird that was fired upon from the sky when it wasn't the case at all. Why did he continue to lie about this incident? Did he fall in love with journalists like Dan Rather who covered war stories in Vietnam to Iraq & he dreamed of becoming a hero in a war torn hot spot of the world? That's what I wonder about: Mr. Williams motivation behind continuing to lie about his role in the same incident years after the fact. 

I just can't believe he kept getting mileage out of this lie. Was he getting perks & satisfaction from it? All I know is this: When David Letterman makes a Top 10 list on his show about Williams lying, that turns the anchor who did it into a natl. joke which does compromise your authority as a journalist. No argument there my friend. 

I am not sure if this is something he can recover from. It would be one thing as you said in your pervious post if he had some scandal in his personal life but this is his profession that he lied about for 12 years about a war. And he works in the media where integrity and honesty are integral to the job. I think NBC had to make the statement they did to not vilify him in our explosive social media cycle but he will never work for them again.

You could be right AMF given the duration of the same lie that never took place as Brian Williams described it repeatedly. I'm curious if NBC Executives are trying to protect him or buy out his contract & push him out the door permanently. Also, I wanna know if his 6 month suspension is containment & isolation or an intense crash course in ethics & source verification.

In other words, is Brian viewed as a lost cause or someone worth saving & putting measures in place to make sure that whatever person sits in that anchor chair they cannot embellish stories for their own benefit or outright lie? 

Is NBC done with Williams completely or do they deem him a worthwhile reclamation project? Just thinking outloud. I do appreciate your journalistic insights AMF along with NCF's viewpoints on how news is portrayed & distributed to the masses for public consumption. Thank you. 

If a guy or woman knows they genuinely screwed up, made a fool of their employer, & makes a deliberate effort to never become bigger than the story they are reporting on, I can forgive them & work to restore their reputation...However, if they refuse to see & understand what they did wrong & why it cannot transpire again, I will bury that person forever. The key here is this: Brian ultimately determines what happens after the suspension has expired. 

You make some valid points JJ about failing to correct ones self a year after the fact & continuing to perpetuate the same lie specifically Brian Williams falsely claiming he was on a bird that was fired upon from the sky when it wasn't the case at all. Why did he continue to lie about this incident? Did he fall in love with journalists like Dan Rather who covered war stories in Vietnam to Iraq & he dreamed of becoming a hero in a war torn hot spot of the world? That's what I wonder about: Mr. Williams motivation behind continuing to lie about his role in the same incident years after the fact. 

I just can't believe he kept getting mileage out of this lie. Was he getting perks & satisfaction from it? All I know is this: When David Letterman makes a Top 10 list on his show about Williams lying, that turns the anchor who did it into a natl. joke which does compromise your authority as a journalist. No argument there my friend. 

I think that is the only motive I can think.  Ernie Pyle you're not Brian :)

I think it's funny that a large contingent of the population would be shocked by this and act like it's a big deal. Pretty much all NFL players broke the rules back then and especially now with all of the drugs. People are so naïve though.

When Cris Carter says he didn't cheat using adhesive spray to aid him in catching footballs, I believe him LHOC. So, just because Jerry Rice copped to it, it doesn't mean all WRs automatically followed suit.