Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Rice admits cheating.

Narcosys

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As John Madden said in one of his video games "they used to put stick 'em on their hands to catch those balls, now they got them gloves"

That's not cheating. Everyone used it. They even spoofed this in the movie Little Giants. Anyone ever watched that? It was a cute movie, and it had the stick 'em in it. 

It wasn't that many years ago that players slathered on the stick-um to the point that a pass could actually hit you in the forearm and stick for a completion. Lester Hayes loved the stuff, and was so buttered up with it that you could clearly see it from the upper deck, even without binoculars. Centers would come up to the line and ask the officials to switch out the footballs 'cause some of them were so gooey that they were afraid they wouldn't be able to let go of it when they snapped it. Big sticky fun in those days!

Jerry Rice has to be the most insecure great player of the past 20 years. Whether it was Moss challenging him or Owens or now the Pats challenging his niners dynasty, the guy just comes off as incredibly insecure. Not sure why he feels like he has to defend everything all the time ...

omg

We cannot change the past, we can only make changes moving forward. Are we going to spend the whole off season reviewing all the cheating that's gone on in the nfl? Are we looking for a way to allow cheating moving forward?

It's pretty big when the single greatest WR in the history of the nfl admits it.

omg

We cannot change the past, we can only make changes moving forward.  Are we going to spend the whole off season reviewing all the cheating that's gone on in the nfl?  Are we looking for a way to allow cheating moving forward?

Now Nadine, you know that will not happen. The Patriot fans always deflect their issues with 'well other teams have cheated" so it's OK. haha

Jerry Rice has to be the most insecure great player of the past 20 years. Whether it was Moss challenging him or Owens or now the Pats challenging his niners dynasty, the guy just comes off as incredibly insecure. Not sure why he feels like he has to defend everything all the time ...

Defend everything all the time? Sounds kind of familiar.

That's not cheating. Everyone used it.

It was outlawed in 1981. Jerry Rice entered the NFL in 1985.

So yes, it was cheating. And you're right, I'd bet a ton of players around the league were using it as well. Just like there were tons of other teams stealing defensive signals, including video taping them.

The sheer hypocrisy from some, and especally guys like Rice who went on TV and took a dump all over the Pats for something that they didn't do and had not even been proven to be true, is quite simply stated... astounding.

How do you go on air and throw stones at someone who hasnt even been found guilty of violating a rule when you yourself were using illegal means to gain a competitive advantage?

It's mind boggling.

And the people saying "oh really, this was 20 years ago it doesn't matter.. its just Pats fans trying to deflect!"

Sorry, but that's total bull and you know it. It shows that this game since it's creation has been shady and bush league. It shows that people are hypocrites. It shows how ugly human beings can be in an age of social media and instant gratification, combined with a constant desire to pry into people's lives for any dirt you can get your hands on, whether real or imagined, and then use that to bludgeon someone to death with it over the internet and judge them.

What happened to the Patriots was a disgusting display of a mob mentality with a torch and pitchfork. Tom Brady has done everything right for 15+ years of being in this league, working his tail off and making personal sacrifices to be great, and doing it in a classy way. For the media to so carelessly drag his name through the mud and make accusations based on preliminary, inaccurate reports and then follow that up with calling him a liar after he addresses it in a press conference while trying to prepare for the biggest game of their careers at the pinnacle of their profession is nothing short of DISGUSTING.

Everyone who participated in that witch hunt and perpetuated that story should be ashamed of themselves and held accountable for their slandering remarks. I hope Kraft sues them into bankruptcy once the results of the investigation are made public.

Don't get me wrong. He was wrong.

But this digging up evidence of everybody cheats doesn't make it ok.

Its not about making it ok, it's about putting context and perspective around these things in a logical and intelligent manner rather than getting whipped into a frenzied, blood thirsty mob mentality looking to linch someone with no proof.

Its not about making it ok, it's about putting context and perspective around these things in a logical and intelligent manner rather than getting whipped into a frenzied, blood thirsty mob mentality looking to linch someone with no proof.

Bloodthirsty mob mentality on both sides of this issue.  Pats fans don't have the market cornered on context and perspective

Jerry Rice has to be the most insecure great player of the past 20 years. Whether it was Moss challenging him or Owens or now the Pats challenging his niners dynasty, the guy just comes off as incredibly insecure. Not sure why he feels like he has to defend everything all the time ...

Did you watch the "football life" episode on him? I left it feeling very conflicted about Rice. Not his abilities mind you, but he did appear incredibly insecure about quite a few things.

The funny thing about this "scandal" is that the gloves they use now are probably better than stickum.

Did you watch the "football life" episode on him? I left it feeling very conflicted about Rice. Not his abilities mind you, but he did appear incredibly insecure about quite a few things.

The funny thing about this "scandal" is that the gloves they use now are probably better than stickum.

The gloves used today are ridiculous. Beckham never would have made that one-handed catch barehanded.

I think we (Patriots fans) just find it funny at this point that he was so enthusiastic about questioning their accomplishments when he was admittedly guilty of a very similar type-of-thing. Don't forget, Rice was a Raider when the "Snow Bowl" game happened. It's not like he has no connections to the Patriots and their SB runs. 

He's still great, and people will not run with this the way they've run with Spygate and Ballghazi. But that's alright. At the end of the day opinions are just opinions, they don't really influence reality. 

I think we (Patriots fans) just find it funny at this point that he was so enthusiastic about questioning their accomplishments when he was admittedly guilty of a very similar type-of-thing. Don't forget, Rice was a Raider when the "Snow Bowl" game happened. It's not like he has no connections to the Patriots and their SB runs.

He's still great, and people will not run with this the way they've run with Spygate and Ballghazi. But that's alright. At the end of the day opinions are just opinions, they don't really influence reality.

I'd argue stickum gives a far more tangible advantage than flat balls do.

On the flip side, I don't think its reasonable to assume the reaction to this would be the same because we're talking about something that happened 20 years ago. If Ballghazi broke in 2034 really no one would care in the slightest.

On the flip side, I don't think its reasonable to assume the reaction to this would be the same because we're talking about something that happened 20 years ago. If Ballghazi broke in 2034 really no one would care in the slightest.

Definitely not. It shouldn't really tarnish his reputation anyway, IMO... like I said he's still great. Just a bit of a hypocrite, that's all. 

Snow Bowl is what you guys call it? Lol

omg

We cannot change the past, we can only make changes moving forward.  Are we going to spend the whole off season reviewing all the cheating that's gone on in the nfl?  Are we looking for a way to allow cheating moving forward?

I do think some think its just fine if you don't get caught , Im not one of those , I have 0 respect for those that do.

I do think some think its just fine if you don't get caught , Im not one of those , I have 0 respect for those that do.

i know, their point is that cheating exists within the context of more and worse cheating and is long term.  But yeah, still it's not ok and will be bad for the sport if not cleaned up

Don't get me wrong.  He was wrong.

But this digging up evidence of everybody cheats doesn't make it ok.  

Well in the context of how it was dug up needs to be pointed out.  What is frustrating is that sometimes folks get all Federal case about stuff and then when the same thing happens to another, like teams warming balls, it is completely forgotten about.   

In the whirlwind of Deflategate, Rice chimed in and said the team cheated.  He just needed to be reminded about what they say about glass houses, that is all.

As for Deflategate it will be interesting to find out what the NFL finds and who, if any, is responsible.

I was very dissappointed to hear about this. Just goes to show why you don't put players on a pedastol....Jerry, Joe, Peyton, Walter, Tom....they are all just men with insecurities and human frialities. I respect them all...that said my view of Jerry just took a big hit. Cheating is cheating. There is no doubt in my mind Jerry worked EXTREMELY hard to be the best....and its a shame after all that work, sweat, committment he would belittle it or compromise it by cheating. I believe he still is the most talent/greatest wr I've ever witnessed but I still shake my head. The example it sets for young athletes and kids (i mean the little league ws kids lost their title for cheating) just is so sad. Sports are suppose to teach us life lessons...overcoming adversity...being a good winner and loser...and that hard work can pay off....and now days....about cheating to get what you want...stickem, hgh/roids, and fill in the blank of any number of other cheating scandals.