Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Kravitz' Story

Gramz

http://www.wthr.com/story/28071580/kravitz-a-sort-of-mea-culpa-on-deflategate

An excerpt from the story:

Before my mea culpa, let me get this out of the way right now:

I am not in the least bit sorry about breaking DeflateGate, even if it's cluttered my Twitter timeline and included vicious shots at me and my family. I got it from a great source. I confirmed it with another great source. I knew with 100 percent certainty that it was right, that there was an investigation into the possibility the Patriots had deflated their footballs, although, until the NFL officially confirmed the investigation the following Monday morning, I wasn't able to relax. That's part of my job, breaking the occasional story.

New England fans can take issue with the Colts for having called out the Patriots on this issue; that's their prerogative. They can scream sour grapes, sore losers, whatever they choose, but the facts were immutable: I wrote there was an investigation. There WAS, and IS, an investigation. It's my job to get it right, and I got it right.

End of story.

Of course there is more to the story, this is just part of it. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that link.  A good summary of what's gone on and I second this part of it

As far as the investigation, which still continues, let's just say it's a hodgepodge of conflicting reports. Mortensen reported 11 of 12 ballswere significantly deflated. That has neither been confirmed nor denied officially. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reported that one ball was significantly deflated and the others were near the proper air pressure or slightly below. That has neither been confirmed nor denied officially. This, ultimately, is what the Wells investigation has to determine, what it's still attempting to discover as it tries to get to the bottom of this matter. Were most of the balls deflated? One? None? And if several were deflated, how did they get that way? Who was, or who were, the responsible parties?

Everything else has been weirdness and general nonsense.

I am not in the least bit sorry about breaking DeflateGate, even if it's cluttered my Twitter timeline and included vicious shots at me and my family. I got it from a great source. I confirmed it with another great source. I knew with 100 percent certainty that it was right, that there was an investigation into the possibility the Patriots had deflated their footballs, although, until the NFL officially confirmed the investigation the following Monday morning, I wasn't able to relax. That's part of my job, breaking the occasional story.

New England fans can take issue with the Colts for having called out the Patriots on this issue; that's their prerogative. They can scream sour grapes, sore losers, whatever they choose, but the facts were immutable: I wrote there was an investigation. There WAS, and IS, an investigation. It's my job to get it right, and I got it right.

End of story.

Why is he issuing a mea culpa? Is this something his paper asked him to do?

I just read through the piece and I have to say I am very impressed with Mr. Kravitz. Rarely if ever do you see a reporter admit wrong or apologize for anything. It would seem he got emotional when reporting this story understandably and he owned up to it and apologized. That is to be commended.

Sounds like the guy is cracking under the pressure of Patriot zealots !

I am sure he is not used to that type of abusive communication which is all too common for our sports reporters here. He should probably glance at Dan Shaungnessy's twitter/email accounts for some real hate.

He didn't get emotional when reporting.  I think it is exactly as he stated.  

I thought it was implied, quite strongly, that penalties should only be levied if the Patriots were found guilty of toying with the integrity of the game, but I failed to establish that clearly in those tweets and in my columns. Thus, it appeared I was calling for Belichick's head and other penalties before any investigation was completed. Clearly (or maybe not so clearly), I would never call for Aaron Hernandez to get a life sentence before he got his day in court, and I did not mean to suggest that Belichick and the Patriots should be penalized before an investigation was complete. But that's the way it came out, and for that, I apologize.

That's exactly how I saw the attack on Kravitz go down

I am not in the least bit sorry about breaking DeflateGate, even if it's cluttered my Twitter timeline and included vicious shots at me and my family. I got it from a great source. I confirmed it with another great source. I knew with 100 percent certainty that it was right, that there was an investigation into the possibility the Patriots had deflated their footballs, although, until the NFL officially confirmed the investigation the following Monday morning, I wasn't able to relax. That's part of my job, breaking the occasional story.

New England fans can take issue with the Colts for having called out the Patriots on this issue; that's their prerogative. They can scream sour grapes, sore losers, whatever they choose, but the facts were immutable: I wrote there was an investigation. There WAS, and IS, an investigation. It's my job to get it right, and I got it right.

End of story.

Funny how Kravitz also stated that BB should be suspended for the SB, etc, etc, without any evidence. I find it sad that he's leaving out the various tweets that he sent out condemning the Patriots immediately, without proper evidence . He's a hack.

He was ordered to do this by his employer, he's backtracking along with several other mediots out there.

It's appalling.

"Oh sorry I completely slandered an entire organization and completely destroyed what should have been an exciting and happy week leading up to the biggest game of the year. Now that I've had my taste of flesh and everyone knows my name nation wide, and it's appearing more and more likely this investigation is going to cLear the Pats of any wrongdoing, I'll just write a little fluff piece and everything is gravy, we'll just pretend like it didn't happen."

I know Kraft hammered the Boston Globe for falsely reporting that the Patriots were filming the Rams walkthrough before the SB.. they got sued and had to retract that story, I hope Kraft loads up all his guns and starts snapping necks and cashing checks on all these punks that dragged his name, Belichick's name, Brady's name and the franchise through the mud.

It's called accountability.

I am sure he is not used to that type of abusive communication which is all too common for our sports reporters here. He should probably glance at Dan Shaungnessy's twitter/email accounts for some real hate.

To be fair, Shank deserves hate mail.

Kravitz's tweets called for BB to be suspended, for the Oatriots to be fined, and to lose a draft pick.

This was right after the story broke. And his tweets were not conditional sentences ; they had already declared the Patriots as guilty .

I think that is exactly what he is apologizing for.  Said he assumed that his prior statements provided the context for what he wrote/tweeted subsequently but now he sees that was a failure on his part.

In other words, he says should have included the disclaimer 'if patriots are found guilty' with every post and tweet......that's what he's saying and that's what you're saying

Kravitz's tweets called for BB to be suspended, for the Oatriots to be fined, and to lose a draft pick.

This was right after the story broke. And his tweets were not conditional sentences ; they had already declared the Patriots as guilty .

This is the part he's apologizing for in the article.  For not making the "IF" part clear.  He "assumed" people would get the "IF" part,  as that is what he'd stated in his initial breaking story.     At least that is how I am reading it.

I think that is exactly what he is apologizing for.  Said he assumed that his prior statements provided the context for what he wrote/tweeted subsequently but now he sees that was a failure on his part.

In other words, he says should have included the disclaimer 'if patriots are found guilty' with every post and tweet......that's what he's saying and that's what you're saying

I was typing this same message at the same time as you.  You explained it better.  ;)

Funny how Kravitz also stated that BB should be suspended for the SB, etc, etc, without any evidence. I find it sad that he's leaving out the various tweets that he sent out condemning the Patriots immediately, without proper evidence . He's a hack.

If you read his mea culpa that spawned this thread he said he should have been clearer by adding the modifier "if they're found guilty" like he had previously.

He was ordered to do this by his employer, he's backtracking along with several other mediots out there.

It's appalling.

"Oh sorry I completely slandered an entire organization and completely destroyed what should have been an exciting and happy week leading up to the biggest game of the year. Now that I've had my taste of flesh and everyone knows my name nation wide, and it's appearing more and more likely this investigation is going to cLear the Pats of any wrongdoing, I'll just write a little fluff piece and everything is gravy, we'll just pretend like it didn't happen."

I know Kraft hammered the Boston Globe for falsely reporting that the Patriots were filming the Rams walkthrough before the SB.. they got sued and had to retract that story, I hope Kraft loads up all his guns and starts snapping necks and cashing checks on all these punks that dragged his name, Belichick's name, Brady's name and the franchise through the mud.

It's called accountability.

Investigation isn't over yet... Just saying. If found not guilty then sure try to clear your name. It wouldn't be smart to do anything until investigation is over though.

I think that is what he is now apologizing for. He got carried away. Not sure that he was ever handed a story this big in his career. Perhaps Colts fans can shed more light on  him given he is their writer.

Still, very classy IMO for him to print an apology. Tomase never did that that I can recall even though the Herald editorial staff printed a full back page apology for his incompetence.

I think that is what he is now apologizing for. He got carried away. Not sure that he was ever handed a story this big in his career. Perhaps Colts fans can shed more light on  him given he is their writer.

Still, very classy IMO for him to print an apology. Tomase never did that that I can recall even though the Herald editorial staff printed a full back page apology for his incompetence.

Simple reading comprehension here:

He's apologizing for not including "IF they are found guilty"  in his tweets.

He is NOT apologizing for breaking the story, as it Was, and still is a story and ongoing investigation.

He is NOT apologizing for breaking the story, as it Was, and still is a story and ongoing investigation.

Yes, I know what is apologizing for and that is why I am commending him. He got carried away and I think it is important to note here that Kraft would never fire Bill over a ball deflation issue. More of a hope I think on his part understandably.

Exactly, he did what any reporter would have done, including Boston reporters.  He didn't get carried away, he didn't get emotional.  He broke a story.

What he failed to do was to include a disclaimer with every story and every tweet.  He made the assumption that if people were following his stories, they were following everything he said and not finding issue with stand alone statements.

Let's be honest here, Kravitz didn't harm the patriots.  He wasn't the only one talking about the Patriots and to my knowledge there has never been the requirement that reporters not upset a fan base by adding a disclaimer to each thing he says.

And lets also be honest that he no doubt received a lot of hate messages. Those, I believe would prompt him to write this apology.  When you start to fear for your life and for those around you, you look for a way to calm the angry villagers.

Yes, I know what is apologizing for and that is why I am commending him. He got carried away and I think it is important to note here that Kraft would never fire Bill over a ball deflation issue. More of a hope I think on his part understandably.

I don't think he would have fired him over deflated balls.

On the other hand, if Bill told Kraft he had nothing to do with it and he did, that would be something Kraft would probably strongly consider firing him over.

Especially since Kraft went out and basically said "we didn't do this, you owe us an apology."

I've been hanging around on Indy boards long enough to not really care what Bob Kravitz thinks.  ;)

He was "just doing his job" but he sure did seem to enjoy himself with the non-news aspects of it (his editorializing, etc). Whatever, though... no big deal. The team overcame the distraction and won the game, so there's no need to hold onto any resentment over anything. 

Anyone in the general public who "goes after" a media person, for pretty much any reason, has issues. That's not normal or acceptable to me. Patriots fans will take a lot of grief for flooding Kravitz's Twitter feed, but that would happen pretty much anywhere, with any team. 

I don't follow Kravitz...I don't know if he is a reporter or simply just a colomnist that writes opinions. If he is a true reporter maybe he just needs to report the facts and be done with it. Seems lots of reporters like being in the public eye and attention...thus so many feel the need to SELL a story or embellish....we see where thats gotten some....I would either stick to the facts and leave my opinion out of it if he wants to be a credible journalist....but I doubt he is that from what I gather. He is probably paid to state his opinions and if thats the case than thats fine...just don't try to play both sides of the fence.

Except that his tweets were never conditional statements.

What are you even talking about? Your problem is he said something negative about the Patriots so that makes you hate him. All he did was report what was a story given to him by other sources. All this media crap is exactly that. The investigation has not ended so your assumption the Patriots did nothing wrong is not true at this point. Till the NFL and Goodell releases a statement saying they found nothing then we are all waiting.

Maybe it would be a good idea to read his comments before assuming what he said. You seem to be overlooking the fact that the Patriots are still under investigation and have not been cleared of wrong doing.

What are you even talking about? Your problem is he said something negative about the Patriots so that makes you hate him. All he did was report what was a story given to him by other sources. All this media crap is exactly that. The investigation has not ended so your assumption the Patriots did nothing wrong is not true at this point. Till the NFL and Goodell releases a statement saying they found nothing then we are all waiting.

Perhaps you should learn the actual facts of the story .

People are upset about his editorializing tweets, not for breaking the story .

It is exactly what Kravitz is apologizing for that had Kraft so steamed the Monday before the Super Bowl. That initial report from Mort that was leaked painted the Pats as guilty before the investigation even began.

But really, people in positions of prominence whether athletes or the media need to get a grip when it comes to social media. Just let the hot heads fly by. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Perhaps you should have actually read the story, because clearly you did not.

By the way, we're still waiting in the other thread for all the evidence of your outrageous statement that the crap the pats pulled in their parade happens at "every" super bowl parade.

I am sure he is not used to that type of abusive communication which is all too common for our sports reporters here. He should probably glance at Dan Shaungnessy's twitter/email accounts for some real hate.

Northeast fans are very vocal about these things. The heat must have been stoking up.

As I've stated in several of my initial posts as a newcomer to this Board (Eagles fan who followed a link here a week or so ago and whose heart was broken by the Patriots in SB XXXIX), I'm waiting for the Wells report.  

I think that all that an objective observer can say about the recent Kravitz piece is that it is "interesting."  One could also speculate that there is probably more going on than we know, but that's speculation.  I did however also find it "interesting" that Belichick on Letterman last night implied that he had not yet been interviewed when he suggested that maybe the League would send Dave to do the interview.

In other words, I don't think anyone, from Patriots to Officials to Colts, is out of the woods yet on this one.  Wells got to the bottom of the Incognito mess, including by looking at phone records, texts and emails, and he will get to the bottom of this mess.  And, God help anyone that he catches out in a lie or improper action.  Suspensions, Draft Picks and Fines will definitely follow.

Why do you guys always say this about all the stories of the Patriots cheating. We all can google just as much as you can.

*Posts something about Spygate*

Patriots Fan - "You don't even know the actual story about Spygate"

:funny:

bradypsiballs_zps62595cfb.jpg

As I've stated in several of my initial posts as a newcomer to this Board (Eagles fan who followed a link here a week or so ago and whose heart was broken by the Patriots in SB XXXIX), I'm waiting for the Wells report.  

I think that all that an objective observer can say about the recent Kravitz piece is that it is "interesting."  One could also speculate that there is probably more going on than we know, but that's speculation.  I did however also find it "interesting" that Belichick on Letterman last night implied that he had not yet been interviewed when he suggested that maybe the League would send Dave to do the interview.

In other words, I don't think anyone, from Patriots to Officials to Colts, is out of the woods yet on this one.  Wells got to the bottom of the Incognito mess, including by looking at phone records, texts and emails, and he will get to the bottom of this mess.  And, God help anyone that he catches out in a lie or improper action.  Suspensions, Draft Picks and Fines will definitely follow.

The way the Patriots are still dealing with this publically post-superbowl tells me that they are supremely confident that they are in the clear. While I thought Bill's and Kraft's comments before the game were bold and very likely to be what you'd hear from innocent people with no concern about being caught in a lie, the cynic in me at least allowed for the possibility that it might have been a bit of false bravado in order to eliminate a distraction for the team. But the fact that they continue to double down now that the game is in the books tells me for sure that these guys are completely innocent.

The way the Patriots are still dealing with this publically post-superbowl tells me that they are supremely confident that they are in the clear. While I thought Bill's and Kraft's comments before the game were bold and very likely to be what you'd hear from innocent people with no concern about being caught in a lie, the cynic in me at least allowed for the possibility that it might have been a bit of false bravado in order to eliminate a distraction for the team. But the fact that they continue to double down now that the game is in the books tells me for sure that these guys are completely innocent.

So exactly how does that explain 11 underinflated footballs? That is fact. We are all in the waiting mode so to say. For you to assume the Patriots are out of the woods on this issue is speculation on your part. Till Goodell has the final results in on the investigation no one is clear.