Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So what do the colts do at runningback?

bap1331

Trent is gone unless he really shows the team he is serious about football  ...   and 15 lbs lighter.    Then heck ya...  But I'm not holding my breath.     And Ballard?   Gotta see it in TC..    and I am not holding my breath here either.    

Brad is a risk but his injuries the last couple of years are not "bad" .. .      Ballard's were..       Trent it's all on Trent.   ......     

Boom, Brad, Tipton, and Tev or AA would be a STELLAR backfield...      In fact depending on FA, I might go after Tev or AA in the second round.      They are that good.

Maybe even Spiller or Vereen if the money is realistic...    gonna be a fun off season.

You're right!  We might as well stick with Herron, uh hmmm Richardson, and Tipton.  Ballard and Bradshaw are more worthless than Trent, they are always injured!  We don't NEED a great RB, but we do NEED a good OL!  That's why we focus on that first.  Trust me the RB situation will work itself out, if the Colts would actually spend money on a good OL.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hearing a lot of mixed reviews. Im all but done with all the runningback experiments. We need to move on with someone elusive and fast like sproles in the draft. Then a power runningback to help tire the defenses even more. Also keep that other guy with butter fingers. Lol.

Definitely look to draft a running back. I'm tired of taking players other teams were willing to part with. Perhaps not in the first round (Or, maybe so if a great opportunity falls to us), but we haven't drafted a true quality back since Joseph Addai IMO. Brown was serviceable/ Ballard- who will ever know his true potential/ Delone Carter- how much of that dude did we actually see? The fact is, a Blount/Lynch type back is every bit worth a first round draft pick when you witness the difference between having a serviceable guy in there versus a tank with shifty moves who breaks a minimum of 1-2 tackles every carry...

Trent is gone unless he really shows the team he is serious about football  ...   and 15 lbs lighter.    Then heck ya...  But I'm not holding my breath.     And Ballard?   Gotta see it in TC..    and I am not holding my breath here either.    

Brad is a risk but his injuries the last couple of years are not "bad" .. .      Ballard's were..       Trent it's all on Trent.   ......     

Boom, Brad, Tipton, and Tev or AA would be a STELLAR backfield...      In fact depending on FA, I might go after Tev or AA in the second round.      They are that good.

Maybe even Spiller or Vereen if the money is realistic...    gonna be a fun off season.

I think it will be a very exciting offseason as well.  It has already kicked off nicely with the signing of Carter and Heenan!  I think the staff should definitely focus on the right side of the line, and NT and LB, if that gets taken care of then I wouldn't mind going after a RB at that point.  We have FA and the draft to fix some holes.  Id say RB is behind all that and the S position tho. 

And really, it's about what is still there at the 29th pick. We desperately need a defensive stud on the D-line, and to immediately address the right side of the offensive line. Just tired of seeing positions of real need being filled with average talent other teams parted ways with.

Guys......

I dont want it..... but I have this gut feeling that they are going to go RB in round one........

(Or maybe its voices in my head)

I also am a believer that a difference maker at RIGHT FRICKEN GUARD will be available at that pick..........

I also would take a safety or ILB...... but.... I dont want a player ready in 2-3 years...... I want a starter..

No more Werner type project players with pick one..........

We may also get a decent DE at the pick....... 

There should be a decent RB available in rd 2 or 3

If all else fails, Id love to get Ajayi in the 2nd Round. Picking that late is virtually a 3rd round pick so it wouldn't be considered a reach IMO. Dude reminds me of Willis McGahee. He's got vision, power, speed, wiggle and is great at catching passes.

BUT

If we pass on Melvin Gordon @ pick #29, we'll regret it.

I would take Spiiler....   Be done with it... proven commodity

Plenty of miles left in the tank....

We have our current "big" RB already

I like Spiller a lot too but I dont see us bringing him in. We already have Herron to fill that role. ( I cant believe I actually said that.)

As for Trent, I really was a supporter of that trade. It was a potential home run for Grigs but Trent's confidence is shot and he lacks the vision you need out of your primary runner. His time with us is over. ( I cant believe I just said that either.)

I like Spiller a lot too but I dont see us bringing him in. We already have Herron to fill that role. ( I cant believe I actually said that.)

As for Trent, I really was a supporter of that trade. It was a potential home run for Grigs but Trent's confidence is shot and he lacks the vision you need out of your primary runner. His time with us is over. ( I cant believe I just said that either.)

I think Trent is done......   

He just didnt do..... I wanted it to work, and to be honest.... I might have done the same trade....

If all else fails, Id love to get Ajayi in the 2nd Round. Picking that late is virtually a 3rd round pick so it wouldn't be considered a reach IMO. Dude reminds me of Willis McGahee. He's got vision, power, speed, wiggle and is great at catching passes.

BUT

If we waste a 1st round pick on a RB with all our other issues we will regret that more.  If Grigson drafts a RB with the #29 pick and our OL and Defense aren't significantly improved he will probably regret that.

We need Oline help. Work thru FA pickups. Iupati would be a start. Then draft.......Melvin Gordon from Wisc! Seriously, this kid is a stud. If we upgrade Oline, this kid can make a world of difference in our offense. Dan Williams for NT would be good also. Chapman is too slow.

You're right!  We might as well stick with Herron, uh hmmm Richardson, and Tipton.  Ballard and Bradshaw are more worthless than Trent, they are always injured!  We don't NEED a great RB, but we do NEED a good OL!  That's why we focus on that first.  Trust me the RB situation will work itself out, if the Colts would actually spend money on a good OL.

if we do that we will be among the worst running games in the league

again

Think about it .. .  What is the hardest position to get PERIOD in the NFL draft out side of QB?

It is a STUD pass rusher or a STUD OT...      Indy desperately needs pass rush...     So they have got to go for it.     This year has a lot of "so called" great pass rushers.    Gotta get one or TWO...       This team will NOT draft a RB first.    I will bet my home on that one.      OL...    I could see that .

Of course all this depends on how FA works out. 

Guys......

I dont want it..... but I have this gut feeling that they are going to go RB in round one........

(Or maybe its voices in my head)

I also am a believer that a difference maker at RIGHT FRICKEN GUARD will be available at that pick..........

I also would take a safety or ILB...... but.... I dont want a player ready in 2-3 years...... I want a starter..

No more Werner type project players with pick one..........

We may also get a decent DE at the pick....... 

There should be a decent RB available in rd 2 or 3

Think about it .. .  What is the hardest position to get PERIOD in the NFL draft out side of QB?

It is a STUD pass rusher or a STUD OT...      Indy desperately needs pass rush...     So they have got to go for it.     This year has a lot of "so called" great pass rushers.    Gotta get one or TWO...       This team will NOT draft a RB first.    I will bet my home on that one.      OL...    I could see that .

Of course all this depends on how FA works out.

I think IF we get that chance at a stud DE... Who can pass rush..... Why not?

It's a major hole for this team

If we waste a 1st round pick on a RB with all our other issues we will regret that more.  If Grigson drafts a RB with the #29 pick and our OL and Defense aren't significantly improved he will probably regret that.

I agree. If we waste the pick on a RB, it would suck. Picking Gordon however, would be a waste. Im sure you'd agree that Gordon is the best back in the draft. If he's there at 29, you dont pass him for the 6th best O-lineman or the 8th best pass rusher.

BUT

Gordon won't be there at #29...other teams understand the impact of drafting an offensive star early.

Meanwhile the Colts will reach for some D player like Werner to make Coach Chuck happy.

Gordon won't be there at #29...other teams understand the impact of drafting an offensive star early.

Meanwhile the Colts will reach for some D player like Werner to make Coach Chuck happy.

i think this is becoming pretty likely.  someone will take a chance on him in the first.

if dallas loses murray then gordon may not make it past them.  they need D as badly as we do but thier offense starts with the run these days

Please Colts don't take a running back in the first round!  

Look how many teams are running the ball effectively with lower draft picks or undrafted free agents. It starts and finishes with the offensive line!

This.  I wouldn't even want a RB in the first 2 rounds, and only one in the 3rd round if he's rated much higher than other prospects available on the board

Ameer Abdullah would fit THIS Colt O better than ANY back I have watched this season.    And that includes Tev Coleman.  

AA is stone cold clone of Bradshaw...        He is a serious threat out of the backfield catching and he can bust it between the T's for the long one...    I love this player..   maybe better than Tev.

You folk need to start checking dude out...    he is a bit small but he is EXACTLY what Indy needs..         (like I said  BRAD clone)   But faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wxpC6EpS8

If Indy could snatch him I would be thrilled.  

I agree. If we waste the pick on a RB, it would suck. Picking Gordon however, would be a waste. Im sure you'd agree that Gordon is the best back in the draft. If he's there at 29, you dont pass him for the 6th best O-lineman or the 8th best pass rusher.

Gurley >>>>>> Gordon.

the RBs currently on the roster:

Vick Ballard - 5th round pick but IRd last 2 years.  Who knows how he'll be upon his return

Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th round pick

Trent Richardson - 1st round pick

Zurlon Tipton - UDFA

Jeff Demps - UDFA

Boom Herron - 6th round pick

Michael Hill - UDFA

Therein lies part of the problem. While I'm not a proponent of drafting RBs high, you have to invest some higher draft picks than that ^

(excluding TR of course)

Ameer Abdullah would fit THIS Colt O better than ANY back I have watched this season.    And that includes Tev Coleman.  

AA is stone cold clone of Bradshaw...        He is a serious threat out of the backfield catching and he can bust it between the T's for the long one...    I love this player..   maybe better than Tev.

If Indy could snatch him I would be thrilled.

I like him too, however, he is small and can't be a feature back because of it, IMO. I think he has great balance and vision, but I'm not sure he has great speed to break a long TD in the NFL. Too small to be a workhorse, too slow to hit the home run...but he'd be very good in the rotation.

I will be watching for his 40 time at the combine. That will make a difference.

:spit:      Coleman and AA are both better players. than Gurley.      Along with Melvin.

The BIG has the 3 best backs in this draft.         Just depends on what a team is looking for. 

But Gurley's carries have DECREASED from his Freshman year to his Jr season.     222, to 165, to 123...    dude cannot stay healthy.    Oh and Georgia DID NOT miss a beat with out TG ... 

I would look at all these dude's stats very closely...    In fact AA was a leading Heisman candidate until he sprained his knee.

Gurley is simply NOT durable...    Coleman, AA, and Mel are...   

Gurley >>>>>> Gordon.

Good Lord...     google is your friend... although I have watched AA play MANY times..   

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514508/ameer-abdullah

He is NOT a workhorse ...  but who is today in a 16 game season?   A team NEEDS at least 2 really good backs ...  

I am telling you, AA is ABradshaw version 2.0    but FASTER.

I like him too, however, he is small and can't be a feature back because of it, IMO. I think he has great balance and vision, but I'm not sure he has great speed to break a long TD in the NFL. Too small to be a workhorse, too slow to hit the home run...but he'd be very good in the rotation.

I will be watching for his 40 time at the combine. That will make a difference.

Good Lord...     google is your friend... although I have watched AA play MANY times..   

He is NOT a workhorse ...  but who is today in a 16 game season?   A team NEEDS at least 2 really good backs ...  

I think we've actually found our Bradshaw 2.0 with Herron. (I cant believe I just said that)

Settle down. As a Nebraska fan, I have watched about every game he has played in the past three years. Google is for people who know less about him than I do.

He's a great back, but if he runs a 4.55 or 4.6 at the combine, he drops and is not really the home run threat you seek. Bradshaw does what he does against NFL competition. AA does it against McNeese St. I'd like to have him too, but no higher than round 4 if he doesn't run below a 4.5.

I'll take him every day of the week...       In fact I want Indy to draft him if he is there in the second round.       or Tev...  

AA would help Indy more than Coleman tho... 

Settle down. As a Nebraska fan, I have watched about every game he has played in the past three years. Google is for people who know less about him than I do.

He's a great back, but if he runs a 4.55 or 4.6 at the combine, he drops and is not really the home run threat you seek. Bradshaw does what he does against NFL competition. AA does it against McNeese St. I'd like to have him too, but no higher than round 4 if he doesn't run below a 4.5.

I'll take him every day of the week...       In fact I want Indy to draft him if he is there in the second round.       or Tev...  

AA would help Indy more than Coleman tho...

Our second rounder for AA would be a mistake. Look at his body. He is not really a stocky-built guy..and he's 5'8'. He's small. If he doesn't have blazing speed....and I don't think he does ..he's a rotational guy and round 2 is too high.

But you are right, he would be good in the Colts system. He has great vision to see the hole, and the quickness and one-cut ability to get to it fast. In that regard, he's the opposite of TR and more like Donald Brown, but I doubt that he has the straight line home run speed DB had, but he does have a lot better agility and balance than DB.