Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Colts can't look to rookie QB for quick fix [Merge]

Moncrief

You guys are all misinterpreting what Polian was even saying. He was asked about starting a rookie QB, or something of that nature, I believe. He was then describing that a rookie QB wouldn't solve our problems, and said no rookie will. He inserted at the very end that perhaps a rookie RB can contribute at a high level in his first year, but it was just a mention. He never implied that he was interested in drafting a RB.

Thank god BP will not be the one drafting the players that will be his son.. BP is clearly wrong making that statement looking at cam newton and the past two QB's before him.... if BP was to say that yes a QB can com in right away and play then we would be saying "oh he's saying the colts can do without manning" polian is just playing the politician here and we all know he lies, on his own radio show no less.... I wouldnt be surprised if the colts DONT draft Luck and go for someone they can work on like griffin or barkley OR someone else.. I think what Chris Polian does in this draft will pretty much tell what kind of GM he's gonna be for the rest of his tenure.

Smitto,i have tons of respect of your opinion, but if you think Chris is running this team,you must be high!

I was hoping we'd get Addai back at three years, $10 million. Overall, glad to have him back. But as soon as he got hurt this year, he became very expendable, especially at the higher price.

I wouldn't be upset to see Brown traded for picks either. He's nothing special. But he's relatively cheap so I don't think that would be very cost effective, especially not after you replace him with another player. It was just interesting to see him singled out as the player we should get rid of, when he's playing better than anyone else on the team right now.

Yeah, probably because of his history. He played poorly his first two seasons, so people focus on that. He is relatively cheap though, as you said, and this is definitely his best year in the league.

This thread is nuts. A few people have correctly pointed out that Polian was not saying he would draft a running back with the first pick because he felt that a rookie running back could make the greatest contribution in his rookie season...my word man! He's only saying that the odds are that a running back is the most likely position to impact a team the most in his rookie season. History usually doesn't show that rookie QB's are capable of guiding teams to playoffs or even SB's. The only exception being Roethlisberger but that was behind one of the best defenses in a long time.

If you've listened to BP talk about running backs with relation to value in the draft you know that he doesn't take RB's that high (top 10). He reserves that for QB's, WR's, D-lineman, or O-lineman primarily. Nowadays most franchises view RB as something that can wait till the end of round 1 (if very good) or 2nd-3rd rounds.

The thread isn't nuts, its a merge. Thats why things are being taken out of context. I am not advocating we draft a RB.

In my (separate) thread I was sarcastically pointing out that I would rather draft Trent than Andrew. I was trying to make a point. The point was - any pick that doesn't help us immediately is a wasted pick. The secondary point was what team has a great backup? No one. So why should we? I keep hearing that Luck is the next Elway? Why do we want the next Elway when we have Peyton Manning right now? (I am assuming that Peyton will be healthy and play until he is at least 40). Luck on the bench will suck up cap space and we will have more quality players we can't afford go elsewhere (Mathis?). You can't have Luck and still have room under the cap to afford position players that we sorely need.

So yea, I'd rather have Trent than Andrew taking up cap space.

What I would really rather do is trade the Luck Pick for a slew of high draft picks and draft another lesser QB for a backup. There are plenty of quality QBs in this years draft.

ps. sry for stealing your name, i didn't see it until today.

I was hoping we'd get Addai back at three years, $10 million. Overall, glad to have him back. But as soon as he got hurt this year, he became very expendable, especially at the higher price.

I wouldn't be upset to see Brown traded for picks either. He's nothing special. But he's relatively cheap so I don't think that would be very cost effective, especially not after you replace him with another player. It was just interesting to see him singled out as the player we should get rid of, when he's playing better than anyone else on the team right now.

Players typically perform better on their contract year, or if it's their make or break year, which isn't too hard to spot! I never liked the Brown draft pick, and he has not proven anything this year, he is the same guy, with the same flaws. I think the Colts should restructure Addai to a MUCH cheaper deal somewhere around 2 years $4 million and he can be the third down back. much like a Chester Taylor, which will keep him healthier, otherwise, he has to go! Brown is nothing special to keep around other than a cheap running back, your very spot on with that statement! I would rather see the Colts draft a guy like Monte Ball in the second or third round (If he falls that far) as the starter, Addai restructured to be the third down back, Carter as a situational running back. I don't think Brown has much value for the Colts or any other team for that matter!

From Polian:

"Even if we were to draft a marquee guy in the first round, he's not going to come in and contribute immediately unless he's a rookie running back," Polian said. "It takes time is the point I want to make."

Are we throwing away the opportunity to make this team an instant superbowl contender because we've got Luck fever? I will always assume Peyton will be back because he will the nerves in his neck to heal. That said...

We have three huge needs

Offense

- Running Game

Defense

- Stop the Run

- Ability to go man coverage on Pass plays

Why our secondary can't do man coverage.

injury to Powers?...but really it was when Hayden left because we couldn't afford him was the start of our secondary woes. With Powers and Hayden we were ok.

So why are we going to take a rookie QB that will sit and take money that could be used to keep players like Kelvin Hayden.

Lets now look at our defense against the run

Sure brackett is the heart of the D - a vocal captain - is hurt and that is effecting us big time.

But we haven't been drafting defensively and its been hurting us. We're paying for that now. We have the two best pass rushers in the game, but if we cant stop 1st and 2nd down runs then there is no 3rd and long to unleash the bookends.

If we trade the Luck Pick, we can draft some bigger guys for the middle, our weakest point of attack on the Defense. Bullit and Bracket come back with the new talent and we instantly have a revised D.

Free up some capital to pay some of these guys too.

Now lets look at our running game.

I love Addai. Hes a great blocker, good avg and he never turns the ball over....

However, he lacks explosiveness and durability.

I would rather draft Trent Richardson and see an immediate improvement in our running game, then to draft Luck and see improvement in the QB bench.

But we need a backup QB look at this year...

I agree we need a backup, but half the teams in the NFL have sub-par starters. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN THE NFL IS YOU HAVE A PROVEN GREAT QB AS A STARTER, a Brees a Manning or a Rodgers...THATS IT. There are plenty of busted 2006 draft picks that are backups...lienart, young etc... I'm sure we can always pick up a Matt Leinart on the cheap. So many guys go bust at NFL level. Unless you are already proven, there is no guarantee. Lets face facts, Manning will take every snap at practice, in this system we won't even find out if Luck is any good until 2016 at the soonest.

in Conclusion..

You trade one #1 (QB) pick for 2-3 #1 (position) picks and percentage wise you have a better chance of one of them achieving super star greatness.

Luck will not so much as take a snap in practice for 2-3 years.

I'd rather see Richardson in the backfield next year than Luck on the bench.

IMO, If our pick isn't going to make us better instantly, then its a wasted pick.

Everything in Red, I agree with you! The blue part is where we slightly differ... Brackett is average at best, Bullitt is a back-up at best, in fact the Colts entire linebacking unit is weak, undersized, and average at best! There really needs to be 2 more LB's added to the starting lineup, a MLB, and either a Will or Sam, depending on where Angerer can perform better given the formation... Angerer is not the answer at MLB.. I like him at Will in more of a cover 2 formation or even the 4-3 Under.. Also a new starting SS is needed in the draft or through free agency, not to mention another corner and an actual NOSE TACKLE!

You guys are all misinterpreting what Polian was even saying. He was asked about starting a rookie QB, or something of that nature, I believe. He was then describing that a rookie QB wouldn't solve our problems, and said no rookie will. He inserted at the very end that perhaps a rookie RB can contribute at a high level in his first year, but it was just a mention. He never implied that he was interested in drafting a RB.

Thank you. Someone who actually gets it.

Players typically perform better on their contract year, or if it's their make or break year, which isn't too hard to spot! I never liked the Brown draft pick, and he has not proven anything this year, he is the same guy, with the same flaws. I think the Colts should restructure Addai to a MUCH cheaper deal somewhere around 2 years $4 million and he can be the third down back. much like a Chester Taylor, which will keep him healthier, otherwise, he has to go! Brown is nothing special to keep around other than a cheap running back, your very spot on with that statement! I would rather see the Colts draft a guy like Monte Ball in the second or third round (If he falls that far) as the starter, Addai restructured to be the third down back, Carter as a situational running back. I don't think Brown has much value for the Colts or any other team for that matter!

He's been our best back this year. He's got a relatively cheap contract, which given his current production, is cost-effective. Certainly more so than Addai's right now.

Setting aside the fact that Brown hasn't lived up to his first round billing (which is completely irrelevant at this point; he's on our team now), there's absolutely no reason to advocate getting rid of him and keeping Addai, who can't stay healthy and makes three times as much.

He's been our best back this year. He's got a relatively cheap contract, which given his current production, is cost-effective. Certainly more so than Addai's right now.

Setting aside the fact that Brown hasn't lived up to his first round billing (which is completely irrelevant at this point; he's on our team now), there's absolutely no reason to advocate getting rid of him and keeping Addai, who can't stay healthy and makes three times as much.

Im advocating a new RB being brought in i.e. Trent Richardson or Monte Ball later in the draft, Addai having his contract restructured of that of a third down back, where his skill set is more suited! Brown can be cut traded if a Richardson or Ball were brought in.. Brown doesn't have the skillset of a third down back, and isn't powerful like a Carter, who could be a situational player..

Im advocating a new RB being brought in i.e. Trent Richardson or Monte Ball later in the draft, Addai having his contract restructured of that of a third down back, where his skill set is more suited! Brown can be cut traded if a Richardson or Ball were brought in.. Brown doesn't have the skillset of a third down back, and isn't powerful like a Carter, who could be a situational player..

I'm not trying to defend Brown. I'm saying that he's our best back this year, and people are trying to get rid of him because he hasn't lived up to his draft status. If we're going to get rid of someone, it should be Addai. This prevalent idea that NFL players are super willing to restructure their contracts is kind of detached from reality. Let's say we gave Addai $3 million guaranteed in his deal, that would mean he'd still have a cap hit of at least $1 million for the next two seasons, whether we cut him or restructure. Why would he agree to restructure?

On top of that, why would we spend another top pick on a running back?

I just think we're looking at it from different angles. I don't see any reason to draft another running back. Any of our backs are easily replaceable by our reserve backs or in secondary free agency. Brown is finally playing well, he's running well, he's blocking much better, he's more than capable of catching the ball out of the backfield, and he's relatively cheap. I don't see why we'd get rid of him at this point. If it's a cap issue, we get rid of Addai, not Brown.

I'm not trying to defend Brown. I'm saying that he's our best back this year, and people are trying to get rid of him because he hasn't lived up to his draft status. If we're going to get rid of someone, it should be Addai. This prevalent idea that NFL players are super willing to restructure their contracts is kind of detached from reality. Let's say we gave Addai $3 million guaranteed in his deal, that would mean he'd still have a cap hit of at least $1 million for the next two seasons, whether we cut him or restructure. Why would he agree to restructure?

On top of that, why would we spend another top pick on a running back?

I just think we're looking at it from different angles. I don't see any reason to draft another running back. Any of our backs are easily replaceable by our reserve backs or in secondary free agency. Brown is finally playing well, he's running well, he's blocking much better, he's more than capable of catching the ball out of the backfield, and he's relatively cheap. I don't see why we'd get rid of him at this point. If it's a cap issue, we get rid of Addai, not Brown.

As a member of the 2011 off season Pro-Addai signing camp, I gotta agree 100% on all of this.

As a member of the 2011 off season Pro-Addai signing camp, I gotta agree 100% on all of this.

I hoped we'd resign him, but I was hoping for maybe 3 years, $10 million at most. That might very well be what we were offering him, and until Manning's deal was done and there was more cap space than expected, that might have been the highest we were willing to go. I don't know, just speculating, but I think there was something that we were waiting for up to that point.

The way it's worked out, we may as well not have signed him. He was playing fine early on, but got hurt again.