Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

would love this as our top three picks

1st shaq Thompson could play safety imo

2nd Ifo Ekpre-Olomu cb

3rd Tevin Coleman rb

Very unlikely first two would be available

Still can pray tho

hope we could get the FB out of Alabama as a FA while in dreaming

Thompson doesn't have elite safety talent though. He doesn't even have elite OLB skills either tbh. Only reason people project him to the 1st round is because people feel that the parts of his game are better than the whole

Yeah but he does have elite athleticism. Witch might take a year to coach up but could be great. Simular to Anthony barr right?

Barr had a clear projection as a pass rusher though. The only question was if he'd be ready to start day 1 because he only played the position for 2 years. Thompson has no clear projection; he's a project player. Unless you're Ryan Grigson, you don't and shouldn't take project players in the 1st round unless it's a QB.

Thompson would have to be a specialty player, because he doesn't have a prototypical NFL position. He's a tweener, and I'm not sure he's good enough at any one thing to be able to survive as a tweener. In a perfect world, he can be a Kam Chancellor type, but I hesitate to project anyone to the pros in a role like that. 

honestly I think our corners are solid (except when Toler is hurt), but if we sure up the defensive line and pass rush our corners will be looked at as one of the top 5 or 6 in the league because they won't have to cover as long and we won't have to bring our safeties in the box to stop the run

I don't really get the hype on Thompson personally. I love the other 2 picks though.

He's basically the defensive version of Denard Robinson when he came out: He should absolutely be on an NFL team somewhere, but he's more of a weapon than a depth guy. You can use him how you see fit. ST, situational pass rusher, extra coverage guy, goal line back,etc...

I don't think he really merits 1st round selection, but don't get me wrong, get that guy on a roster for sure.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu will be there in the second, but the problem is I believe he would be on the IR for his whole first year. His injury was right before the semi-final game, so on opening day that is only 7 months of rehab. Even AP needed 9 months, and that was seen as an incredible feat of recovery. Unless you are loaded in all positions, or have a lot of draft picks, like SF has the last few years, you can't take people in the second and third rounds and know they are going on IR. SF picked Lattimore in the fourth, Carradine in the third, and the lineman from Clemson last year in the 2nd. All had blown ACL's, and none of them were going to be able to play first year, but due to their depth and huge amt. of draft picks they could do it. Great luxury which we don't have. We need the second to play this year, that is why I want Cody Prewitt, S, who I believe has a chance to be there in the late 2nd.

He's basically the defensive version of Denard Robinson when he came out: He should absolutely be on an NFL team somewhere, but he's more of a weapon than a depth guy. You can use him how you see fit. ST, situational pass rusher, extra coverage guy, goal line back,etc...

I don't think he really merits 1st round selection, but don't get me wrong, get that guy on a roster for sure.

Yep, I'd love to have him if he were there in the 5th round or something, but we cant be drafting a guy like him considering we have several holes to fill on D, and need sure fire starters day 1. I cant see him playing Safety in the NFL either. If I had to guess I'd look for him to end up being and ILB after he puts on about 10lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if he falls to the 3rd round personally, but yeah your right. He does belong on a roster no matter what.