Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grumblings in Seattle that Carroll did not want Lynch to be MVP

amfootball

Mike Greenberg said today that he is hearing reports out of Seattle that some of the players believe the pass play was called at the end of the game because Carroll wanted Wilson to be the MVP of the Super Bowl and not Lynch. I find this notion preposterous but if the players believe this than things are about to get interesting especially if Lynch is not resigned by the Hawks with the team about to make Wilson the highest paid QB in the league.

Thoughts?

It is amazing how one play has become a lightning rod of discussion. I believe Carroll. He said he knew he had two plays left with just one time out and one was going to be a pass. I don't think he believes for one second that it was a bad call. He believed in the play and the DB made a great play on the ball. 9 out of 10 times that pass falls incomplete.

Mike Greenberg said today that he is hearing reports out of Seattle that some of the players believe the pass play was called at the end of the game because Carroll wanted Wilson to be the MVP of the Super Bowl and not Lynch. I find this notion preposterous but if the players believe this than things are about to get interesting especially if Lynch is not resigned by the Hawks with the team about to make Wilson the highest paid QB in the league.

Thoughts?

Mike Greenberg makes things up

I doubt it, but I wouldn't call it crazy.  Considering that Seattle is likely to release Lynch so they can re-sign Wilson.

[/quote

I would call it crazy..Lynch could easily have scored on the previous play.

Pete Carroll..made a blunder on the final call.. He thought too much and choked under pressure

Russell Wilson didn't feel he could change the play..and they threw a high risk pass..

It was a blunder

You don't think sporting events get 'fixed'???

Come on man!!!

When we lost to New Orleans in the Super Bowl everyone was saying Peyton threw the game, and that it was rigged. I was telling everyone that Manning had to much pride and respect for the game to do anything like that. I wont say a game has never been fixed, but I do not believe that super bowl was, or that this years was. It would probably take some kind of evidence to convince me any game had been rigged.

Thoughts?

who knows about Lynch leaving Seattle

Feb 3 - 3:04 PM

Coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks have been having contract talks with Marshawn Lynch for a "long time."

"We've been in the midst of negotiations for a long time for the future, so we'll see how that goes," Carroll said. NFL Network reported Sunday that Seattle has made Lynch an offer that would "keep him in a Seahawks uniform for years to come." Preseason talk had 2014 being Lynch's final year in Seattle, but he again proved too vital to the Seahawks' offense. Going on 29, Lynch is currently signed for $5 million next season. It's the final year of his contract.

When we lost to New Orleans in the Super Bowl everyone was saying Peyton threw the game, and that it was rigged. I was telling everyone that Manning had to much pride and respect for the game to do anything like that. I wont say a game has never been fixed, but I do not believe that super bowl was, or that this years was. It would probably take some kind of evidence to convince me any game had been rigged.

Right, I just find it odd when the notion of 'rigging' pro-sports is written off as a preposterous assumption...

Again. I claimed this as soon as I saw that play. That they didn't want lynch to be mvp. It some what makes sense because if how they have been treating him all year. When it comes to getting TD's, they opt for Wilson on short yardage.

Or do we forget that game where lynch flipped the bird to the sideline because he ran it all the way down field over and over until they got to the goal line and went with a pass. I don't put it pass carroll. Wilson is a carroll player, lynch wasn't.

Thoughts?

As empty headed a claim as can be.    The internet was invented for conspiracy theory boys who can't get enough "what ifs?"

Nonsense.

And the proof is this....  if he didn't want Lynch to get the SB MVP, then why did he give the ball to Lynch on the play before?

You know,  when Lynch took the ball from the 5 to the 1.    Lynch would've scored if not for a very good tackle by Donte Hightower.   And if not,  then game over.

And clearly Lynch would've been the guy had the pass not been picked off and fallen to the ground incomplete.

It's just nonsense.      Nothing to pay attention to.

We have some of those conspiracy fan boys right here....

You know,  Butler's three different versions of the interception?      :facepalm:       :loco:

As long as we're spewing crazy theories here's on for your...If Wilson does make the throw he is named MVP, then over the offseason Seattle re signs Wilson to the biggest contract in the history of the NFL, beating Luck by several millions. Seattle, with the help of Carroll, also sign Lynch and Bobby Wagner to huge deals putting them in salary cap HELL. Yet Seattle still manages to go 3 for 3 and win the super bowl in amazing fashion with...MARCUS MARIOTA??? That's right Marcus Mariota, a trade orchestrated by Carroll to trade Seattle's '15 & '16 1st rounders for the local favorite after Wilson gets his knee blown out by a stray ball in the batting cage at Rangers spring training, ending his season. With the now super star Mariota and the million-dollar-man Wilson, the locker room divides between the 2 and it get way out of control. In the middle of all the chaos, Carroll announces his retirement, he can't take the stresses of the locker room anymore. 1 month after his retirement he pulls a Brett Favre and begins coaching again as the San Francisco 49ers new Head Coach, expressing his true love for the 49ers and his deep animosity towards the Seahawks, therefore wanting to ruin the Seahawks for the next decade. Now with the 49ers, Carroll transforms them into yearly super bowl threats, also turning Colin Kaepernick into the second coming of Steve Young. With things looking great in San Fran, and things still in turmoil in Seattle, Carroll rides off into the sunset at age 75 with 7 super bowl titles. How's that for a crazy theory.

I do like Mike & Mike, but I wouldn't really trust any reports they have, they're not the most credible source .

If you watch that last play, Butler read Wilson all the way.

Lynch was OPEN on the other side, Wilson didn't even look his way.

It was like when Porter read Manning in SB 44 and got the interception. 

It was a bad throw, 100%. I don't disagree with the call to pass it, cause you guys keep forgetting that they tried to run it before that and Lynch got stopped. The Patriots did a great job stopping Lynch all day long. 

There is no guarantee whatsoever that Lynch would have got in the endzone. No guarantee. They already stopped him once. 

If Wilson would have turned to his left, he would have seen Lynch open. Instead he eyed the receiver, and Butler read him just like Porter did Manning. it was begging to happen. 

I have to say, it is quite disappointing that no one can realize that the Patriots played such a good game, and overcame a 10 point come back to win this game, or how Brady played very well and overcome his turnovers. 

They get no credit. All people want to talk about is how they are positive Lynch would have scored even though they already had held him a play before that. There is no guarantee that Lynch gets that TD, none whatsoever. If it weren't for the circus catch, they would not have even been down there. 

Every year this seems to happen with the Super Bowl. The winner gets no credit, all people focus on is the "could've, should've, would've". 

The Patriots deserve credit as the SB winner. Seattle is lucky they even got to the goal line like that, cause that circus catch should not have happened, and if Brady don't throw the first INT, then the Pats would have been up 14-0 to start the game, and won by 11. 

Time let go of the could've, would've should've rhetoric and just admit it, the Patriots won. They deserved it. 

What I still don't get is, on the pass play, why throw it to #13, Chris Matthews!? I understand he made some big plays when it mattered, and I understand he's a big body, but the fact is he never caught a pass before this game, he's young, and it is what it is -- he was an undrafted free agent.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25594/

When the game is on the line, you have to take advantage of your best weapons. Chris Matthews is NOT the team's best weapon. Not even close. Forget Russell Wilson. To me, it feels like they were trying to make Matthews the MVP.

Plus #13 is an unlucky number :D.

What I still don't get is, on the pass play, why throw it to #13, Chris Matthews!? I understand he made some big plays when it mattered, and I understand he's a big body, but the fact is he never caught a pass before this game, he's young, and it is what it is -- he was an undrafted free agent.

When the game is on the line, you have to take advantage of your best weapons. Chris Matthews is NOT the team's best weapon. Not even close. Forget Russell Wilson. To me, it feels like they were trying to make Matthews the MVP.

Not necessarily. Teams often use a 3rd WR for various plays. I mean there is a reason they're on the team. NE has made some key plays with no names for ages. 

Butler was in there a rookie.  Only the coach knows the reason for various personnel in various situations.

NE went to the 3rd DB (Butler) later in the game because the 1st two weren't getting it done. I realized that's on defense but the same principal can apply.

However either way its ridiculous they were trying to make someone a MVP. What's that worth? a dime and a cup of coffee.

You'd have an argument if A) Chris Matthews hadn't gotten off to such a hot start in the game and B) they actually threw the ball to Chris Matthews on the last play of the game. The targeted WR was #83 who is RICARDO LOCKETTE.

I have to say, it is quite disappointing that no one can realize that the Patriots played such a good game, and overcame a 10 point come back to win this game, or how Brady played very well and overcome his turnovers.

They get no credit. All people want to talk about is how they are positive Lynch would have scored even though they already had held him a play before that. There is no guarantee that Lynch gets that TD, none whatsoever. If it weren't for the circus catch, they would not have even been down there.

Every year this seems to happen with the Super Bowl. The winner gets no credit, all people focus on is the "could've, should've, would've".

The Patriots deserve credit as the SB winner. Seattle is lucky they even got to the goal line like that, cause that circus catch should not have happened, and if Brady don't throw the first INT, then the Pats would have been up 14-0 to start the game, and won by 11.

Time let go of the could've, would've should've rhetoric and just admit it, the Patriots won. They deserved it.

But the Seahawks still should have won. That's what people realize. The best team that day didn't win because of one bonehead decision.

It is amazing how one play has become a lightning rod of discussion. I believe Carroll. He said he knew he had two plays left with just one time out and one was going to be a pass. I don't think he believes for one second that it was a bad call. He believed in the play and the DB made a great play on the ball. 9 out of 10 times that pass falls incomplete.

Well he's wrong because it was a bad call.

It is amazing how one play has become a lightning rod of discussion. I believe Carroll. He said he knew he had two plays left with just one time out and one was going to be a pass. I don't think he believes for one second that it was a bad call. He believed in the play and the DB made a great play on the ball. 9 out of 10 times that pass falls incomplete.

Pete Carroll was wrong about having two plays left.