Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson has some explaining to do...

TJ14

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.....   we know it was Grigson who contacted the NFL during the first half of the AFC Championship game.

I don't think that is in dispute.

What is unknown is....   did Grigson contact the NFL prior to the AFC Championship game to alert the league?

Could have been after the regular season game when Mike Adams picked off Brady twice.    Maybe he noticed something?

But even if he did,  I don't see a problem here.   If you think you've detected cheating by the opposing team,  what's the problem alerting the league office?

I don't think there's much explaining to do.....     And all that explaining is not going to come until the NFL finishes conducting it's investigation.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12271531

Did he or didn't he tip them off? He said when all this started he didn't, but now others are saying he did.

How in the world did you get that Grigs denied contacting the league office out of that article (or any other article/story)? He never said one way or the other. 

Furthermore, who cares. If, in fact, he did, he was just doing his due diligence. I seriously doubt he or the Colts care that much about this--it is more about competitive balance and assuring everyone follows the rules, not about grinding an ax, etc. 

This whole deflate-gate is really getting out of hand, but I hope grigs really didn't do anything

Why do you care if Grigson notified the NFL to watch for the Patriots deflating footballs? My understanding is that all teams will submit a list of things that they want the Refs to take notice of, illegal formations, a particular player's tactics etc. If Grigson told the NFL to look for under-inflated footballs based on what happened in their first game, so what?

How in the world did you get that Grigs denied contacting the league office out of that article (or any other article/story)? He never said one way or the other. 

Furthermore, who cares. If, in fact, he did, he was just doing his due diligence. I seriously doubt he or the Colts care that much about this--it is more about competitive balance and assuring everyone follows the rules, not about grinding an ax, etc.

My memory really isn't the best, but I vaguely remember someone (i thought it was grigs) denying starting anything, my mistake there.

Why would Grigson have to explain anything?  Did the Colts or Grigson do something wrong?  NO.  So why the hell would we care?

11 out of 12 balls were under inflated on the Patriots, none of the Colts were.  The Patriots are the criminals here, not Grigson or the Colts.

This whole deflate-gate is really getting out of hand, but I hope grigs really didn't do anything

Well according to this report he is the one who initially reported the alleged wrongdoing.

There is nothing wrong with that.   Any Coach, General Manager or Owner from any team that suspected wrongdoing would have done the same thing.

:edit:  I want to edit this to say Any Coach, General Manager or Owner from any team that suspected wrongdoing would should have done the same thing.

Get used to Pats fans hammering at the Colts.. "We're going in there and hanging 70 on them, they're the cheaters and they whine" ect.

I will say this. Throughout the last 2 weeks Pat fan has been saying "just wait for the facts". I think that now that the story narrative is shifting towards exonerating the Pats, we should "just wait for the facts.

If Grigson set this off, he'd better be right- or at least not completely in the wrong.

If Grigson set this off, he'd better be right- or at least not completely in the wrong.

I'm not sure Grigson needs to be right or wrong. If Grigson told asked the NFL to look into deflated footballs, so what? There must have been something going on or they would not have switched out the footballs at halftime.

Get used to Pats fans hammering at the Colts.. "We're going in there and hanging 70 on them, they're the cheaters and they whine" ect.

I will say this. Throughout the last 2 weeks Pat fan has been saying "just wait for the facts". I think that now that the story narrative is shifting towards exonerating the Pats, we should "just wait for the facts.

Who cares one way or another? It is his job to bring attention to the league if he has a reason for doing so. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.

They were still deflated, just not enough to prove tampering. They won the SB that's all that matters.

I've always heard the story as follows:

The first game against NE, Brady was picked off twice. At that time, they noticed that the balls were deflated. No action was taken, but the Colts, including Grigson were on alert.

Then there were rumblings from the Ravens (playoff game) that the NE balls might have been a little deflated, so Grigson made a note. And if it were found out that the ball were once again deflated in the meeting between the Colts and NE, he would do something about it. Adams intercepted the ball and gave it to the Colts equipment manager, who then notified Grigson that the ball was deflated. Grigson then phoned the NFL, and the refs were notified. The refs confiscated the balls and weighed them during halftime. At that time, they found that 11 of 12 NE balls were deflated, while all 12 of the Colts balls were properly inflated.

The above story is always how I heard it, since the day the deflate gate story leaked. I see no wrong doing from Grigson.

There's lots of reports that need to be corroborated.  Some of them conflict.  First it was all the footballs were 2psi below.  Then it was they are "closer to 1psi than 2 psi" below the limit, and this report says 1 was 2 psi below the limit and 11 were a "tick" below the limit - whatever that means.

I don't have any issue with Griggson reporting it if he felt something was done that required reporting. The issue that I (and most Pats fans) have is the leaking of the story to Kravitz. There's little doubt that Kravitz' source is a Colts insider, either Griggson himself or somebody in the know and not the league itself (which wanted no part of that circus). A lot of things get investigated weekly by the league based on complaints made by other teams, and those things are kept in-house until all the facts have been gathered and there is definitive proof that something actually happened. The leaking of that story during the bye week before the Superbowl seems to be a pretty low move by whoever did it, especially in light of the fact that the story may not be a story at all when all is said and done. It presented a major distraction to a team trying to prepare for the Superbowl, and it's hard not to think that wasn't intentional.

There's nothing wrong with reporting underinflated balls regardless of how they became underinflated. Even if they became underinflated by natural causes, they were underinflated.

The fact one ball was 2PSI under justifies Grigson's query on this matter. End of story. Not to mention ten more balls were found to be 1 lb. under the legal limit, even the last ball was under. Where could Grigson possibly be in the wrong? I guarantee Polian would've complained. It's not like our organization has accused anyone of cheating. Grigson did nothing more than protect the integrity of the sport we love. When it comes to fans 95% would prefer the rules to apply evenly, even if a few blowhards don't see it.

Also the fact that DJax happened to intercept the ball with the least amount of air may seem ironic to some, but it was no accident that particular ball was in play, I can assure you of that.

I am over deflate gate, if you will, but I do expect a punishment for the ball that was 2lbs. under and additional scrutiny for the rest of their illegal balls.

This is yet another attempt to deflect the blame, no doubt.

I don't have any issue with Griggson reporting it if he felt something was done that required reporting. The issue that I (and most Pats fans) have is the leaking of the story to Kravitz. There's little doubt that Kravitz' source is a Colts insider, either Griggson himself or somebody in the know and not the league itself (which wanted no part of that circus). A lot of things get investigated weekly by the league based on complaints made by other teams, and those things are kept in-house until all the facts have been gathered and there is definitive proof that something actually happened. The leaking of that story during the bye week before the Superbowl seems to be a pretty low move by whoever did it, especially in light of the fact that the story may not be a story at all when all is said and done. It presented a major distraction to a team trying to prepare for the Superbowl, and it's hard not to think that wasn't intentional.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it being "leaked". It happens all the time. That's how a lot of wrongdoings, cheating, etc. get uncovered. It's possible no one would ever hear of this if it didn't get outside of Grigson (assuming it was cheating/rule bending, whatever you want to call it). As I said in a previous post, the NFL is a business. There's a lot of big money, and money makers involved. If there were only a couple of people aware of underinflated balls, it very well could have "gone away". "Leaking" the possibility of deflated balls to the public is a way to insure it won't get buried so easily.  

I don't necessarily have a problem with it being "leaked". It happens all the time. That's how a lot of wrongdoings, cheating, etc. get uncovered. It's possible no one would ever hear of this if it didn't get outside of Grigson (assuming it was cheating/rule bending, whatever you want to call it). As I said in a previous post, the NFL is a business. There's a lot of big money, and money makers involved. If there were only a couple of people aware of underinflated balls, it very well could have "gone away". "Leaking" the possibility of deflated balls to the public is a way to insure it won't get buried so easily.  

OK...if the allegations are true. The more that comes out about these allegations it seems clear that the story that was leaked was either completely wrong or extremely exaggerated, That's the issue.

OK...if the allegations are true. The more that comes out about these allegations it seems clear that the story that was leaked was either completely wrong or extremely exaggerated, That's the issue.

What issue? If Grigson reported his opinion to the front office who cares? It is his job to report any wrong doings as he sees fit. Issue closed.

What issue? If Grigson reported his opinion to the front office who cares? It is his job to report any wrong doings as he sees fit. Issue closed.

I already said I had no issue with him reporting it. It's leaking a false or very exaggerated story to slander the opponent that just beat you that I think is pretty sketchy.

There's lots of reports that need to be corroborated.  Some of them conflict.  First it was all the footballs were 2psi below.  Then it was they are "closer to 1psi than 2 psi" below the limit, and this report says 1 was 2 psi below the limit and 11 were a "tick" below the limit - whatever that means.

They are going by what Ian Rapaport reported a few days ago. It seems like Virdulant ( smiley face) is not the only one to read "many" as "all." While the report might be saying that only one ball was seriously deflated , it doesn't specify that that is indeed the case. It says 1 of the balls was 2LB's under and many other were just a tick under. The remaining balls could be anywhere from  2 lbs to a "tick" under.  

It's yet another "latest report". I don't know what the allowed margin of error is in the NFL. I don't know which ball Grigson had in his hand. Although someone else here posted it was the ball that was most underinflated. I don't know exactly what Grigson disclosed or claimed. I don't know any more than anyone else reading what they're finding on the Internet. All I'm saying is, IMO, it's okay to do whatever is needed to insure a full investigation. I don't care if it was the Colts allegedly manipulating the PSI. BTW, if this wasn't such a big deal, which it may end up being the case, why won't the NFL just come out and say so? The rules are the rules and they're in place for a reason. At least regarding what is currently the "latest report" as 1 ball underinflated by 2 lbs., that's 16%. Sure, many of you are saying, "big deal, it's 16%". I'd love to get a 16% raise. I'm currently working on losing about 8% of my body weight. 16% is significant. The designated PSI guideline is there to follow. It's not a suggestion. So if any manipulation of the game balls happened, it's a big deal.  

All this arguing back and forth doesn't really matter. I assume the full report has not yet been published for anyone to see. Best we just wait and see what the full investigation reveals. Either way, I'd be a little annoyed as a NE fan. Whether or not this proves to be manipulation, public opinion has been set for the most part for many different reasons including spygate. In the eyes of the public, there will always be a question mark.

It's yet another "latest report". I don't know what the allowed margin of error is in the NFL. I don't know which ball Grigson had in his hand. Although someone else here posted it was the ball that was most underinflated. I don't know exactly what Grigson disclosed or claimed. I don't know any more than anyone else reading what they're finding on the Internet. All I'm saying is, IMO, it's okay to do whatever is needed to insure a full investigation. I don't care if it was the Colts allegedly manipulating the PSI. BTW, if this wasn't such a big deal, which it may end up being the case, why won't the NFL just come out and say so? The rules are the rules and they're in place for a reason. At least regarding what is currently the "latest report" as 1 ball underinflated by 2 lbs., that's 16%. Sure, many of you are saying, "big deal, it's 16%". I'd love to get a 16% raise. I'm currently working on losing about 8% of my body weight. 16% is significant. The designated PSI guideline is there to follow. It's not a suggestion. So if any manipulation of the game balls happened, it's a big deal.  

You are right...we don't know. And nobody has known...hence my issue with a very specific and incriminating story being "leaked" (probably) by a Colts insider ahead of the Superbowl. It's not a good look if that story is untrue or wildly exaggerated. Now, I don't know for sure that a Colts insider leaked the story, however given that Kravitz is the one who broke it I think that's a real good probability.  As for the "16%" deflation...that in itself isn't particularly relevant if none of the other balls were deflated (or were marginally deflated). One ball out of 12 is an anomaly and not likely to be an indication of any scheme to deflate balls. 11 out of 12 deflated by 2lbs...that's a very different story.