Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The case for Reggie Wayne

Deano1818

Reggie Wayne is a sure fire lock for the HOF no matter what at this point.

I don't know...... I hope you are right

IMHO he is close at best

You have some folks that may be chosen in front of him

People like Tony Gonzalas, Issac Bruce, Randy Moss, T.O., and Andre Johnson will have the stats in 2 years as well

It's one of those things where in 5 years, if he isn't in the HOF, he may be forgotten

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK....   I agree with what I put in bold,  except in another post you made in this thread you offered him $6 Mil to come back.

That's the kind of money you pay a WR what he used to be....

So, which do you want to do?

Pay him a big bonus for being Reggie Wayne?     Or paying him a smaller salary for a reduced role on the team?

Good point, He should probably be offered closer to 3 mill, I was thinkin more along the lines of what Anquan Boldin is getting, 6 mill a year for 2 years

The problem to me is this....

Wayne can come back healthy to start the season, but due to age and his recent injury history, he is at risk of further injuries. As players age they take on more injuries and do not bounce back from those injuries as fast.

We saw a drastic drop off in production with Marvin Harrison after his injury and we saw the same with Wayne this year. Harrison was never the same. It's possible that the same can occur with Wayne.

This will be a tough decision on both sides.

Where did I say he gets a spot no matter? If you would read my comment I said he would have training camp and 4 pre season games to decide what he can and can't do. That is when it should be seen if he has anything left. He does not have to be force he once was to be effective. For you and anyone to automatically dismiss him is classless. He does deserve the opportunity to do the best he can do and if it's not good enough then do what is needed. To cut him before that time shows no class what so ever.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, back up the truck.

First off, my quotation of your smart aleck comment had nothing to do with any of that, nor did your response to the original person you had quoted.  Do you hear voices in your head?  I'm beginning to wonder.....Perhaps your screen name should just be Crazy1.

More like picked up ~580 yards until Cincinatti where he proceeded to manage 70 yards in the next 8 games while starting.

Yep!  Im not saying I wouldn't take him back, but he would definitely be #4 WR.  That's disrespectful to a future HOF, so I think it's just best to part ways.  Nothing wrong with moving on, but there is trying to prove you still have something left, when there isn't!

I think he is a lock for the HOF.  Not 1st ballot, but he will get in!  I'm very surprised Harrison still didn't get in...

Reggie has been durable throughout his career. He knows how to take care of his body.

Some of his games this year were painful to watch because of the mounting injuries. He got no separation for most of the season and the tricep deal really diminished his hands...

With all of that being said, I think that he adds value to the team if he decides to come back... assuming the coaching staff starts making better decisions about who starts and how much playing time to give certain guys.

There is a chance that he heals up nicely looks more like he did before the 2013 injury, but even if he doesn't he still helps the team as one of 6 WRs the Colts are probably going to roster. His experience and locker room presence combined with his savvy and clutch instincts make it a no brainer IMO... even if he only plays situationally.

I might not think so if we had any established vets on the roster other than perhaps TY, but somebody has to be in there to show the Duron Carters of the world how to be a Colt.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, back up the truck.

First off, my quotation of your smart aleck comment had nothing to do with any of that, nor did your response to the original person you had quoted.  Do you hear voices in your head?  I'm beginning to wonder.....Perhaps your screen name should just be Crazy1.

My smart aleck remark?  The Patriots are not a classy team. That is my opinion and if you think it is smart aleck that's on you. It was made on my thoughts and I really don't care if you like it or not. If you think the patriots are a classy team that's your opinion and I don't care to give you crap about it. I call it as I see it. If you see it different fine.

My smart aleck remark?  The Patriots are not a classy team. That is my opinion and if you think it is smart aleck that's on you. It was made on my thoughts and I really don't care if you like it or not. If you think the patriots are a classy team that's your opinion and I don't care to give you crap about it. I call it as I see it. If you see it different fine.

I can live with that, as long as you realize that it is your opinion.  The way you state it, seems to impart that it is fact.  To each his own.

In other news, I can't believe I actually defended the Patriots.....eeeewwwwww

I'd rather not. . . if he wants to come back I know they will take him back and no matter how he plays we will be stuck with him the whole year because there is just no way they would release him.

Honestly I think the best thing for the team is if he just retires.

I can respect that. No hard feeling over here. I know he will not be what he once was but his presence might help Carter and who ever else the Colts bring in. His leadership and ability to mentor might be useful. We will wait and see.

I love Reggie as much as next Colts fan but I really think its time to move on. So I don't think we should bring him back. I think we need to draft a big, strong, athletic, fast, deep threat, jump ball type wide out in the 2nd or 3rd round. I honestly think at this point Whalen could be just as good as Reggie could be next season. No way we should give Reggie 5 or 6 million when we could spend that money on a position of need on D or the O Line.

Reggie cemented himself as my favorite Colts receiver of all time when he stayed in 2012. That isn't likely to change any time soon. 

Now it's time to face facts. If you look through history at the last few years of really good/great WRs, you'll see a sudden drop in production, almost every time. Sometimes it's related to injury. Sometimes it's related to a team change. Sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere.  But, except for rare situations, that decline happens somewhere in the early to mid-30s, and there's never a rebound. 

The Reggie Wayne of 2012 and early 2013 -- the aging vet who was still good enough to produce like a #1 or 32 WR -- is gone, and likely will never come back. I hate saying that, but there isn't much room for optimism. If he were to come back for 2015, he is highly unlikely to come anywhere near 100 catches and 1,000 yards, which the OP suggested. History testifies against him.

If he wants to come back and play a supporting role as a reserve, 15 snaps a game, he's more than welcome, IMO. If he wants to sit out training camp and the first part of the season, and try to come back and play the last half of the year, that's fine with me, also, but again, in a reserve role. But the days of him being a primary part of our offense should be done. 

So....pre injury he was on pace for a 1000 yard season and couldn't get separation? Sounds logical to me.

Yep.  That is the case - if you don't believe it, fine.  He can beat a zone.  But you get him in press coverage and he struggled all year. 

The ultimate point though is even if he beats both his ACL and triceps injuries, he will still lose the battle to Father Time.  The odds of him being productive again seem long to me.

Reggie cemented himself as my favorite Colts receiver of all time when he stayed in 2012. That isn't likely to change any time soon. 

Now it's time to face facts. If you look through history at the last few years of really good/great WRs, you'll see a sudden drop in production, almost every time. Sometimes it's related to injury. Sometimes it's related to a team change. Sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere.  But, except for rare situations, that decline happens somewhere in the early to mid-30s, and there's never a rebound. 

The Reggie Wayne of 2012 and early 2013 -- the aging vet who was still good enough to produce like a #1 or 32 WR -- is gone, and likely will never come back. I hate saying that, but there isn't much room for optimism. If he were to come back for 2015, he is highly unlikely to come anywhere near 100 catches and 1,000 yards, which the OP suggested. History testifies against him.

If he wants to come back and play a supporting role as a reserve, 15 snaps a game, he's more than welcome, IMO. If he wants to sit out training camp and the first part of the season, and try to come back and play the last half of the year, that's fine with me, also, but again, in a reserve role. But the days of him being a primary part of our offense should be done. 

I think you can make a case that Reggie hindered the offense a little this year - some of it his doing, some of it the coaches and some of it on Luck.  There were times early in the season where Luck locked onto Reggie in key situations and the results were not always there.  I think early on his presence also limited snaps for Moncrief and delayed his development. 

I hate saying that because like you, he is my All-Time Colt.  But I do think it is time for a change.

I think you can make a case that Reggie hindered the offense a little this year - some of it his doing, some of it the coaches and some of it on Luck.  There were times early in the season where Luck locked onto Reggie in key situations and the results were not always there.  I think early on his presence also limited snaps for Moncrief and delayed his development. 

I hate saying that because like you, he is my All-Time Colt.  But I do think it is time for a change.

I don't think there was any real argument for Moncrief to be on the field in the first six weeks of the season, and Reggie was very productive at that point. It wasn't until the Bengals game where there was a real problem. 

And I don't know how familiar you are with Moncrief in college, but he needs a lot of refinement as a receiver. He's obviously a great talent and can get by on athleticism for now, but I was okay with how they brought him along. Once Reggie got hurt and started to struggle, it should have been on Nicks to pick up the slack, not Moncrief. And of course, that didn't quite work out the way most of us expected it to.

No it isn't. There's a backlog of receivers. That is the only reason.

If it was because of his off field issues he would never get in.

The whole "backlog" argument makes no sense........ If you deserve to get in that year you deserve to get in.... There is no "line"... if you're better you get in, at least thats supposed to be the point...

There is no way Andre Reed should have been voted in over Harrison last year and there is no way Tim Brown shoulda beat him to it this year either.... 23 fewer TD's despite playing 4 more seasons.... I mean come on...

I don't know...... I hope you are right

IMHO he is close at best

You have some folks that may be chosen in front of him

People like Tony Gonzalas, Issac Bruce, Randy Moss, T.O., and Andre Johnson will have the stats in 2 years as well

It's one of those things where in 5 years, if he isn't in the HOF, he may be forgotten

I didnt say he would be a 1st ballot'er, but he'll get in. He wont be forgotten though

I can respect that. No hard feeling over here. I know he will not be what he once was but his presence might help Carter and who ever else the Colts bring in. His leadership and ability to mentor might be useful. We will wait and see.

True, and it would be great if he where a receivers coach.  But you can't sign a player just for leadership and teaching.  

I didnt say he would be a 1st ballot'er, but he'll get in. He wont be forgotten though

I think he deserves it, but they only seem to take only one or two receiver each year.

Let's keep our fingers crossed......

I do believe if he gets just one more decent year, he goes from a good chance to a lock

The whole "backlog" argument makes no sense........ If you deserve to get in that year you deserve to get in.... There is no "line"... if you're better you get in, at least thats supposed to be the point...

There is no way Andre Reed should have been voted in over Harrison last year and there is no way Tim Brown shoulda beat him to it this year either.... 23 fewer TD's despite playing 4 more seasons.... I mean come on...

That's just the way Canton works.  

It has absolutely nothing to do with his off field "issues".  

Ray Lewis was charged with (murder?) and plead guilty to obstruction. He will be a first ballot because there is no backlog of LB's trying to get in.  

I agree it's dumb and we wouldn't have this problem had they put Tim Brown in right after Jerry Rice.

I'd bring him back but if he gets injured I want him put on IR for his own sake.

He's done too much for this team to ruin his body even more for us.

Id almost want him as WR coach that plays sometimes. The main weakness of our WR core minus Wayne right now is route running. Having Wayne, one of the most sneaky route runners in the league of the last decade, helping them out with that as a coach would be amazing.

Great, great point you make there!     Really great!       :thmup:      

Look at what he's done with TYH.   Now,  he could do the same to someone like Duron Carter.     He's going to need Reggie's help.    And so will Moncrief.

Glad you made this point.    I hope you get lots of positive feedback on it!    :thmup:

True but lets not forget that is the game he tore his tricep which is why he had such a bad second half of the season.

I don't. But at the same time a triceps injury implies he would have trouble moving his arms to catch the ball, possibly holding on to it as well. But nothing about getting separation, of which he had none after half the season either. I'd love for Reggie to come back and be productive and get us to a Superbowl. I just don't know whether I really see that happening. 

if he wants to come back then he will be back in some capicaty.  how much of a role he plays will depend on how camp goes for him and what the depth chart ends up looking like.

im not sure if hilton, moncrief and carter are going to get it done without a veteren on the roster though.  reggie would be a nice mentor for that group.

I don't. But at the same time a triceps injury implies he would have trouble moving his arms to catch the ball, possibly holding on to it as well. But nothing about getting separation, of which he had none after half the season either. I'd love for Reggie to come back and be productive and get us to a Superbowl. I just don't know whether I really see that happening.

Hey I can't fault that logic at all but even if he was back as a number 4 for his leadership and the chance for all the young guys can learn from him look what he has done for Ty already imagine that with carter and moncreif

This board is starting to look like the Coltsfreaks forum.........

"You are stupid...... No you are stupid...... No you are stupid...... No you are stupid"

:(

stupid people don't post on coltfreaks much anymore. It's very refreshing.

Sometimes people get called stupid for a reason

I'd bring him back but if he gets injured I want him put on IR for his own sake.

He's done too much for this team to ruin his body even more for us.

Id almost want him as WR coach that plays sometimes. The main weakness of our WR core minus Wayne right now is route running. Having Wayne, one of the most sneaky route runners in the league of the last decade, helping them out with that as a coach would be amazing.

I don't like this idea at all for 2 reasons: 1. Just because you played at an elite WR level, it doesn't mean you can coach at a WR level as in teach others how to replace what you do on the field & 2. Let Reggie enjoy his free time one he retires because coaching requires a ton of time to perfect & highly motivated HOF players don't always pass on that drive to other athletes who are not self motivated by their very nature.  

The strange thing is that even though I love Reggie Wayne & think the world of him I don't want this to turn into another Bob Sanders situation. In other words, don't get overly sentimental, keep him too long, & think that age & time aren't a factor now. Look, if Grigs wants Wayne back for 1 more year, I'm okay with that, but it's time to move another WR up at least in terms of reps. I respect Reggie's IQ, experience, & clutchness, just starting thinking about life after #87 & plan accordingly. 

I still want Wayne to contribute next year & I'd love to see him win 1 more ring. I will miss him dearly when he's gone & that's no exaggeration either.

I cried when Manning left & I'll cry when Wayne leaves. Yes, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that publicly BTW. 

Manning, Wayne, Polian, & Irsay are all institutions in INDY, love them or not, they are all well respected icons in Hoosier Country...Yes, Luck is making his legendary mark on this city as well...

Add Edge, Saturday, & Harrison to that esteemed Colts club too. Okay, I'll be quiet now...