Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The case for Reggie Wayne

Deano1818

If I am Reggie I give it one more year

Everyone wants to cement their legacy

As he sits today, if he were somehow, someway to eek out 1000yards 100 receptions

He would be 3rd in the history of the NFL in both categories

It would put him in the HOF.

I think he started the year, not 100% from the knee injury from the year before

His injuries slowed him down

If I am him...... I am trying to get healthy to make this team

Top 10 all time record holder - HOF doubtful

Top 3 all time record holder - HOF lock

You may say why bother?

A HOF receiver gets paid more to speak to groups than one that's not

It helps his career AFTER football in the booth (if he decides to go that way) and other ways

I want him back!

Thoughts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many are writing Reggie off. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. He stuck with this team when we were 2-14 and could have walked away without a second thought. He came back because Pagano ask him to. In those three years he has been not only a great player but a team leader and mentor. He will have all of training camp and 4 pre season games to get himself ready for next season. I am sure if he can't contribute he will more than likely hang the cleats up. There is absolutely no reason to push him out the door no matter what some think.

I'd rather not. . . if he wants to come back I know they will take him back and no matter how he plays we will be stuck with him the whole year because there is just no way they would release him.

Honestly I think the best thing for the team is if he just retires.

As he sits today, if he were somehow, someway to eek out 1000yards 100 receptions

You may say why bother?

It helps his career AFTER football in the booth (if he decides to go that way) and other ways

I want him back!

Thoughts?

Reggie is without a doubt my all-time favorite Colt player but I think it is time.  First off, what he wants is secondary to what the team wants and it seems likely to me they want to get younger.  He has had significant injuries the last couple of years, could no longer get separation against younger corners and his presence I think takes away snaps from others.  He looked old and slow and while in 2015 he may a year removed from his knee injury, father time is not in his favor.  He could be 100% next year and still be old & slow.

My two cents...

Wasn't he injured this year, and still picked up 650 yards ? Send him to Baltimore, we do well with older receivers like Boldin and Steve Smith. Reggie wouldn't be too homesick, as we still have a few horseshoes lying around in museums in Baltimore ! Lol

More like picked up ~580 yards until Cincinatti where he proceeded to manage 70 yards in the next 8 games while starting.

The Colts are not the Patriots. It's called class.

Call it whatever you want, look at how successful all their teams are. Look at Vrabel, Seymour, Mankins, Nomar, Manny, Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedro, Lester, KG, Paul Pierce, Rondo, Perkins. It sucks at the time but they all know it's what's best for the team - most are still welcomed back with open arms. 9 Titles in 13 years, one in each sport between 07 and this past weekend. Look how they continue to win while teams like the Yankees still trot Derek Jeter out for the last two years.

Heck NY has two teams for every sport and all of them are terrible minus the NY Rangers and now this year's NY Islanders team.

Class is what you show after you get your brains beat out after a football game NOT throwing money at a wr whos not what he used to be or bringing back a player just because, you don't win championships that way, Knowing a player is not what he once was and moving on is called a smart business decision not lack of class

Class is inducting your former players into the ring of honor, and making it well known that they will always be part of the Colts family.  Holding onto a player who is not able to play at a high level when there are more capable players out there is just dumb.

I love Reggie, but he is well past his prime.   The odds on him ever being a force in the NFL as he was in his prime is somewhere between slim and none.  Unless he finds the fountain of youth between now and next season, he should probably retire.  

That said, if he can cut it in training camp and preseason and EARNS a slot on the team, that would be terrific.  But to simply give him a slot, even if he isn't up to it is not classy.  As I said, it would be dumb.

More like picked up ~580 yards until Cincinatti where he proceeded to manage 70 yards in the next 8 games while starting.

Agreed and there at the end of the season I was ready for him to shut it down for the year. It was that bad but didn't his production fall off after the arm injury? I thought he looked good in the beginning of the season but was no where close to being the same after the arm injury....Looked like he was playing with one arm. I would like to see Reggie back if "healthy'.

I actually find it to be rather mind boggling that so many people are so fast to write-off Reggie Wayne.  He came back from a severe injury, but was STILL very effective UNTIL he tore his triceps and if I recall correctly, had a hamstring strain as well, both of which curtailed his effectiveness greatly down the stretch.  Ergo, the disturbing mantra is he was not effective down the stretch while injured, so cut ties with the hall of famer to be?!  Incredulous.

He did the Colts a MAJOR solid by signing on at a discount when we needed him most 3 years ago.  I have NO doubt he can still be a very effective possession / clutch 3rd down receiver if healthy and be a tremendous locker room presence / playing coach for the young receivers.  If he wants back, I'd take him with open arms! 

Call it whatever you want, look at how successful all their teams are. Look at Vrabel, Seymour, Mankins, Nomar, Manny, Youkilis, Papelbon, Pedro, Lester, KG, Paul Pierce, Rondo, Perkins. It sucks at the time but they all know it's what's best for the team - most are still welcomed back with open arms. 9 Titles in 13 years, one in each sport between 07 and this past weekend. Look how they continue to win while teams like the Yankees still trot Derek Jeter out for the last two years.

Heck NY has two teams for every sport and all of them are terrible minus the NY Rangers and now this year's NY Islanders team.

That's fine. But you seem to think I care? If you choose to like that, no problem. You are more than entitled to your opinions, likes and dislikes.

I think 6 Mill is exorbitant in a salary cap world.

If he comes back he'll have a somewhat reduced roll and I think a somewhat reduced price.

$3/4 Mill?

Agreed.  $6M is top 1-2 receiver money.  I think Reggie is savvy enough to realize he is now a "role" player.  That being said, I'd be willing to over pay a little bit, as reward / thank you for the solid he did for the team in taking a home team discount 3 years ago.

I'd bring him back but if he gets injured I want him put on IR for his own sake.

He's done too much for this team to ruin his body even more for us.

Id almost want him as WR coach that plays sometimes. The main weakness of our WR core minus Wayne right now is route running. Having Wayne, one of the most sneaky route runners in the league of the last decade, helping them out with that as a coach would be amazing.

Class is what you show after you get your brains beat out after a football game NOT throwing money at a wr whos not what he used to be or bringing back a player just because, you don't win championships that way, Knowing a player is not what he once was and moving on is called a smart business decision not lack of class

It might be your opinion that Reggie should go. If class means zero to you then so be it.

That's fine. But you seem to think I care? If you choose to like that, no problem. You are more than entitled to your opinions, likes and dislikes.

Look I don't care what you think, but I'm saying that this is the reason why Boston sports have been so successful this millenium.

OK....   I agree with what I put in bold,  except in another post you made in this thread you offered him $6 Mil to come back.

That's the kind of money you pay a WR what he used to be....

So, which do you want to do?

Pay him a big bonus for being Reggie Wayne?     Or paying him a smaller salary for a reduced role on the team?

You may say why bother?

I want him back!

Thoughts?

Reggie Wayne is a sure fire lock for the HOF no matter what at this point.

The only reason Harrison isnt yet is because of the off-field baggage that surrounds him. And yes I know that isnt supposed to sway peoples votes when voting for the HOF, but lets be real, that'y why he isnt in yet.

Class is inducting your former players into the ring of honor, and making it well known that they will always be part of the Colts family.  Holding onto a player who is not able to play at a high level when there are more capable players out there is just dumb.

I love Reggie, but he is well past his prime.   The odds on him ever being a force in the NFL as he was in his prime is somewhere between slim and none.  Unless he finds the fountain of youth between now and next season, he should probably retire.  

That said, if he can cut it in training camp and preseason and EARNS a slot on the team, that would be terrific.  But to simply give him a slot, even if he isn't up to it is not classy.  As I said, it would be dumb.

Where did I say he gets a spot no matter? If you would read my comment I said he would have training camp and 4 pre season games to decide what he can and can't do. That is when it should be seen if he has anything left. He does not have to be force he once was to be effective. For you and anyone to automatically dismiss him is classless. He does deserve the opportunity to do the best he can do and if it's not good enough then do what is needed. To cut him before that time shows no class what so ever.

The only reason Harrison isnt yet is because of the off-field baggage that surrounds him. And yes I know that isnt supposed to sway peoples votes when voting for the HOF, but lets be real, that'y why he isnt in yet.

No it isn't. There's a backlog of receivers. That is the only reason.

If it was because of his off field issues he would never get in.

Agreed and there at the end of the season I was ready for him to shut it down for the year. It was that bad but didn't his production fall off after the arm injury? I thought he looked good in the beginning of the season but was no where close to being the same after the arm injury....Looked like he was playing with one arm. I would like to see Reggie back if "healthy'.

I thought it looked more like he was playing with one leg.

Sheeze tough crowd.......

Of course IF... He can make the team

I think he will.

Who knows how healthy he will be, or if he can come back to form.... I don't

All I am saying........ I want him to try

There is a need for an underneath receiver on this team........ He could be it

When healthy he is MILEs ahead of Griff

Where did I say he gets a spot no matter? If you would read my comment I said he would have training camp and 4 pre season games to decide what he can and can't do. That is when it should be seen if he has anything left. He does not have to be force he once was to be effective. For you and anyone to automatically dismiss him is classless. He does deserve the opportunity to do the best he can do and if it's not good enough then do what is needed. To cut him before that time shows no class what so ever.

Meanwhile back on planet earth...