Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Improved Colts Draft (With Trade)

-Indy restructures Peyton's deal which allows him to be traded without too much of a financial hit for the Colts.

-Indy trades Peyton Manning to Miami for their 2012 1st and 2nd round picks. (This is a place Peyton would like to be traded to since he would have a top flight LT and Defense to work with.)

2012 Draft...(explanations below)

1st- Andrew Luck, QB

1st (via trade)- David DeCastro, OG

2nd- TJ McDonald, S

2nd (via trade)- Jayron Hosley, CB/PR

3rd- Dontari Poe, NT

4th- Cam Johnson, DE

4th (comp pick)- AJ Jenkins, WR

Rest of Draft- BPA

1st round- No explanation necessary. Can start immediately as a rookie.

1st round(via trade)- Luck would love this pick and it would make our OL one of the better young talented OLs in the NFL.

2nd- We still need that quality starter alongside Bethea at safety.

2nd(via trade)- CB is still a huge need and getting Hosley to play alongside Powers makes our DB core very good now with the additions of Jayron and TJ at safety.

3rd- Poe could fall a bit due to his limited pass rush ability, but he is a raw prospect that would be worth taking a chance on to be our NT.

4th- Cam Johnson could be a much needed pick since we dont know what will happen with Mathis, and Hughes would best serve as a Pass Rushing OLB in my opinion.

4th(comp pick)- Jenkins is a good late pick to add to our WR core.

Peyton is either going to be a Colt in 2012 or straight up released. No team is going to trade for him and pay that contract, knowing darn well in Feb, the Colts have an important decision to make on his future! Now about your draft, I for one want a trade but I want the Andrew Luck pick traded, Tj McDonald represents more of a FS than a SS, but if the Colts switched to a 3-4 he could play SS with his skill set. Poe will not be around past the second round and Cam Johnson probably will not last to the fourth round!

-Indy restructures Peyton's deal which allows him to be traded without too much of a financial hit for the Colts.

-Indy trades Peyton Manning to Miami for their 2012 1st and 2nd round picks. (This is a place Peyton would like to be traded to since he would have a top flight LT and Defense to work with.)

2012 Draft...(explanations below)

1st- Andrew Luck, QB

1st (via trade)- David DeCastro, OG

2nd- TJ McDonald, S

2nd (via trade)- Jayron Hosley, CB/PR

3rd- Dontari Poe, NT

4th- Cam Johnson, DE

4th (comp pick)- AJ Jenkins, WR

Rest of Draft- BPA

1st round- No explanation necessary. Can start immediately as a rookie.

1st round(via trade)- Luck would love this pick and it would make our OL one of the better young talented OLs in the NFL.

2nd- We still need that quality starter alongside Bethea at safety.

2nd(via trade)- CB is still a huge need and getting Hosley to play alongside Powers makes our DB core very good now with the additions of Jayron and TJ at safety.

3rd- Poe could fall a bit due to his limited pass rush ability, but he is a raw prospect that would be worth taking a chance on to be our NT.

4th- Cam Johnson could be a much needed pick since we dont know what will happen with Mathis, and Hughes would best serve as a Pass Rushing OLB in my opinion.

4th(comp pick)- Jenkins is a good late pick to add to our WR core.

There I put it in bold now, see it? It's still possible for this to happen so people who completely rule this out are not paying attention when guys like Adam Shefter and other NFL analysts say it could happen.

Im not looking to be a Debbie Downer to your idea cause you put some effort into it... But come March (my mistake in sying Feb) The Colts will be either picking up his contract and bonus or cutting him loose, nobody will be trading for Manning, its not realistic, given the circumstances i.e. his health, his contract situation, and the fact that a team could have him in free agency, he is either a Colt next year or not, and it wont be a trade, as how he leaves! You want Luck and want value for Peyton Manning leaving, it's not going to happen that way. On a positive at least you acknowledge Manning and Luck won't be on the same team.

If the Colts aren't going to pay him, Manning has NO incentive to restructure a deal. If the Colts aren't remaining loyal to him, do you really think he gives a rat's tail about helping the Colts get value for him? Newsflash! He doesn't! He will just force them to release him (which is the smart move on his part) unless they plan to honor his contract and let him play. Why would he want to allow the Colts to take value away from his new team to make them better when they have obviously decided he isn't wanted anymore?

You think Miami would trade important picks for a 36 year old QB? Maybe if they had every position but and where already a playoff caliber team, but their not so they wont. They would much rather grab a RG3, Barkley or Jones and keep their picks.

"(This is a place Peyton would like to be traded to since he would have a top flight LT and Defense to work with.)"

Why cant we do that here again? It makes no sense how you can think that, the goal for the Colts should be to build a top defense and offense, as is every teams goal. Drafting a great QB but neglecting the rest of the team doesn't work and that would be the only way to get Luck. Why not trade the pick to a team we know will actually trade future picks for and build around our already capable QB. The only way we get rid of Peyton is to release him and no matter how I look at it, I just cant see how that helps the team in anyway.

P.S. I think Peyton would rather stay in indy.

Peyton will not restructure a deal so he can be traded? It makes no sense, he will be outright released, and join whatever team he wants as a FREE AGENT. Caladdai and Superbowlorbust.. you both assume Manning owes something to the Colts to do this, he is not going to help them get value for him leaving. So your point cannot happen, and teams know this, they know chances are Colts outright release him or he stays a Colt, so why would anyone overpay with draft picks, when chances are he can negotiate with them if he were to be released.

You think Miami would trade important picks for a 36 year old QB? Maybe if they had every position but and where already a playoff caliber team, but their not so they wont. They would much rather grab a RG3, Barkley or Jones and keep their picks.

"(This is a place Peyton would like to be traded to since he would have a top flight LT and Defense to work with.)"

Why cant we do that here again? It makes no sense how you can think that, the goal for the Colts should be to build a top defense and offense, as is every teams goal. Drafting a great QB but neglecting the rest of the team doesn't work and that would be the only way to get Luck. Why not trade the pick to a team we know will actually trade future picks for and build around our already capable QB. The only way we get rid of Peyton is to release him and no matter how I look at it, I just cant see how that helps the team in anyway.

P.S. I think Peyton would rather stay in indy.

The Dolphins is longing for a quality QB. Also, they play in front of a half empty stadium. Peyton, more than any other player ever, gives them a chance to win now, and people would run to Sun Life Staidum to watch the great Peyton Manning. They win and it improves business.

The Dolphins actually has a real decent team. Good offensive line (besides RT), Brandon Marshall as a target and a really solid defense.

Not that I'm for trading Peyton, but Miami makes a ton of sense to me.

For One Adam Shefter is a tool as is all analysts. They say whatever will cause the most uproar. For 2 many of you fail to remember peyton himself has said he will retire a colt. I'm not a better man but i would bet everything i own that peyton will either be a colt or he will retire. The Colts WILL NOT trade him. And dont give me this theres no such thing as loyalty in the NFL crap. Cuz thats a lie. We are the most loyal organization in all of sports. If we werent would Jim Caldwell still be head coach when other coaches have one games for there team and still got fired. Would often injured bob sanders have gotten the contract he did and payed for as long as he did. Would overrated MLB Gary Brackett have gotten the contract he got? No they wouldnt have. If you people dont think this team is loyal to their players your all fools. You trade peyton and take luck. you'll be lucky to make the playoffs within four years. you keep peyton, pass on luck and aquire good talented young defenders, and we're right back to the playoffs in '12.

For One Adam Shefter is a tool as is all analysts. They say whatever will cause the most uproar. For 2 many of you fail to remember peyton himself has said he will retire a colt. I'm not a better man but i would bet everything i own that peyton will either be a colt or he will retire. The Colts WILL NOT trade him. And dont give me this theres no such thing as loyalty in the NFL crap. Cuz thats a lie. We are the most loyal organization in all of sports. If we werent would Jim Caldwell still be head coach when other coaches have one games for there team and still got fired. Would often injured bob sanders have gotten the contract he did and payed for as long as he did. Would overrated MLB Gary Brackett have gotten the contract he got? No they wouldnt have. If you people dont think this team is loyal to their players your all fools. You trade peyton and take luck. you'll be lucky to make the playoffs within four years. you keep peyton, pass on luck and aquire good talented young defenders, and we're right back to the playoffs in '12.

What about '15?'16?'17? You think that if we grab a couple solid first round defensive players that we'll be contenders long after Peyton is gone? This is a QB driven league and without a QB then we'll basically be the Jacksonville Jaguars, 4th Ranked D, but can't move the ball.

What about '15?'16?'17? You think that if we grab a couple solid first round defensive players that we'll be contenders long after Peyton is gone? This is a QB driven league and without a QB then we'll basically be the Jacksonville Jaguars, 4th Ranked D, but can't move the ball.

Now what makes you assume the Colts won't have selected Peyton's replacement by then? So its better to put Luck in the same situation as Manning has had his entire career? You can rebuild the team while trading Luck, and still select a QB in this draft or a later draft with all the value from the Luck pick!

Now what makes you assume the Colts won't have selected Peyton's replacement by then? So its better to put Luck in the same situation as Manning has had his entire career? You can rebuild the team while trading Luck, and still select a QB in this draft or a later draft with all the value from the Luck pick!

That's not my point. My point is that Luck is the surest prospect to come out of the Draft since '98. You don't pass up on the position that can make or break your franchise for a Defensive Back.

That's not my point. My point is that Luck is the surest prospect to come out of the Draft since '98. You don't pass up on the position that can make or break your franchise for a Defensive Back.

Yes you do. You wanna know why? Andrew Luck is gonna be another Matt ryan type guy. He'll be great im sure. But if you just build the team around one player you are not gonna get anywhere. Polian has shown that he builds his team around one guy. Look how that has failed. PM is the only player is this league that can carry a team filled with scrubs to the playoffs. This wont make or break our franchise. Franchises live on. I am willing to suck for a few years if this team can build around peyton for one last ride. Build a good young solid d. After peyton retires we have a good d and then you get another franchise guy to lead the team to the promised land. What would you say if we trade this number one pick for a first this year obviously but also a first next year to a team like miami. Lets say they take luck and for some reason things just dont go well in his first year.(like most rookie qbs) They happen to land in the number one spot. Then we have the number one pick next year. Bam thats when you take a guy like Barkley or RG3 who are most likely returning to school. Or you take a Tyler Bray who is considered a very high prospect out of tennesee.

Yes you do. You wanna know why? Andrew Luck is gonna be another Matt ryan type guy. He'll be great im sure. But if you just build the team around one player you are not gonna get anywhere. Polian has shown that he builds his team around one guy. Look how that has failed. PM is the only player is this league that can carry a team filled with scrubs to the playoffs. This wont make or break our franchise. Franchises live on. I am willing to suck for a few years if this team can build around peyton for one last ride. Build a good young solid d. After peyton retires we have a good d and then you get another franchise guy to lead the team to the promised land. What would you say if we trade this number one pick for a first this year obviously but also a first next year to a team like miami. Lets say they take luck and for some reason things just dont go well in his first year.(like most rookie qbs) They happen to land in the number one spot. Then we have the number one pick next year. Bam thats when you take a guy like Barkley or RG3 who are most likely returning to school. Or you take a Tyler Bray who is considered a very high prospect out of tennesee.

Exactly! Talent exists outside of Luck, the Colts cannot continue to build their team around one player..unless that player is Peyton for the forseeable future, building the defense, the offensive line, and run game will make the transition much smoother for the Manning replacement.

QBs hold a lot more value in this league than DBs do. Carson Palmer was traded for a First AND a Second round pick yet Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was dealt away for practically nothing. I consider DRC to be a better player for his position than Palmer right now. If we take Luck AND HE PLAYS TO HIS POTENTIAL, he is a better value than any defensive player in the draft. We still have other picks to add talent to the team.

IMO The risk outweighs the reward. We take him and pass up on a defensive back what do we have to lose? You can find defensive players anywhere in the draft and a good DB comes along A LOT more often then QB's. Worst case scenario- Luck busts. We have Top 5 picks in later years that we can use on defense. Best Case Scenario- Luck is a Top Tier QB within 5 years and we can build an offense around him. Polian doesn't have a history of building around one player (other than now). I guess you weren't really familiar with Polian when he was GM of Buffalo and building an NFL Powerhouse that competed in 4 straight Super Bowls. Those teams were great on both offense and defense. I'll agree that he dropped the ball in this case (understatement). But, I go back to my point about the draft. None of these Defensive players are locks and they all have question marks. Luck does not. There is almost no flaw to his game. BTW What makes you compare him to Matt Ryan?

QBs hold a lot more value in this league than DBs do. Carson Palmer was traded for a First AND a Second round pick yet Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was dealt away for practically nothing. I consider DRC to be a better player for his position than Palmer right now. If we take Luck AND HE PLAYS TO HIS POTENTIAL, he is a better value than any defensive player in the draft. We still have other picks to add talent to the team.

+1

Other picks? Outside of the first three rounds, typically, players don't make much of an impact on the team! So you want to take Luck have him sit four years and then what? Have the same holes the team has now, because Peyton can carry and will continue to carry the team! More UDFA is exactlly the opposite of what the Colts need on the team! Or they could trade the pick get many first, second, and third round picks, and rebuild the team around Manning, and still get a good replacement, who can transition easier, with a better defense and run game! Try again though..

I don't think Manning will restructure. He's saying all the right things publicly, but that 28 million dollar clause is there to give him leverage. The Colts will be forced to start him, release him, or trade him on Peytons terms. I don't see any teams picking in the top 10 being on Mannings wish list. My hope is they keep Manning and let Washington or Miami draft Luck while we grab one of the other 2 or three potential pro bowl QBs in this draft.

If Peyton goes to Miami he's not going to handicap them by making them give up a high draft pick.

Other picks? Outside of the first three rounds, typically, players don't make much of an impact on the team! So you want to take Luck have him sit four years and then what? Have the same holes the team has now, because Peyton can carry and will continue to carry the team! More UDFA is exactlly the opposite of what the Colts need on the team! Or they could trade the pick get many first, second, and third round picks, and rebuild the team around Manning, and still get a good replacement, who can transition easier, with a better defense and run game! Try again though..

The idea that only the top draft picks can contribute is false. Every team has good contributors that were found later in the draft. The colts used to PRIDE themselves in finding talent late in the draft. The patriots and packers have built two of the deepest teams in the league with late picks and talented UDFAs.

You also completely overlooked the message I tried to say with my post. I simply stated that Luck has more value than any other player in the next draft. I was not stating that I would take Luck no matter what. If any team offers enough value, I would trade the #1 in a heartbeat. The idea that we can drop back and pick up a load of value picks relies on the idea that other teams will try to trade these picks to us. I've seen posts with people assuming we can get three round one picks, two round two picks, and two round three picks when there are no trade offers on the table yet! What if the only trade offered is for a late round one, a late round two, and a future pick to be decided? Don't assume that people will be showering us with picks to get to Luck.

I agree with you that we need to rebuild this team, but I disagree that we can't use other picks to do it.

(I also gave you a -1 because of your " try again though.." comment. These are friendly posts, and to try to use these discussions to ridicule or compete with others is rude.)

The idea that only the top draft picks can contribute is false. Every team has good contributors that were found later in the draft. The colts used to PRIDE themselves in finding talent late in the draft. The patriots and packers have built two of the deepest teams in the league with late picks and talented UDFAs.

You also completely overlooked the message I tried to say with my post. I simply stated that Luck has more value than any other player in the next draft. I was not stating that I would take Luck no matter what. If any team offers enough value, I would trade the #1 in a heartbeat. The idea that we can drop back and pick up a load of value picks relies on the idea that other teams will try to trade these picks to us. I've seen posts with people assuming we can get three round one picks, two round two picks, and two round three picks when there are no trade offers on the table yet! What if the only trade offered is for a late round one, a late round two, and a future pick to be decided? Don't assume that people will be showering us with picks to get to Luck.

I agree with you that we need to rebuild this team, but I disagree that we can't use other picks to do it.

(I also gave you a -1 because of your " try again though.." comment. These are friendly posts, and to try to use these discussions to ridicule or compete with others is rude.)

Winning was the worst thing that happened.. Caldwell may keep his job, and it could take the Colts out of the Luck sweepstakes if they win out, and say Minnesota loses out.. I am assuming teams will offer a large amount of compensatino for Luck since teams want to win now, not necessarily develop a QB, and although I don't like Luck on the Colts, he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft... having said that, if teams don't offer large value for Luck then I can't still justify trading the pick, also it has something to do with Manning's health as well. But.... all the UDFA and late picks on the Colts have looked like starts because of Manning, and him carrying the team. Those stars sure don't look like stars now, they don't even look like average players now. Green Bay drafts extremely well... I don't think the Colts draft very well at all...