Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Chud promotion

Deano1818

Though it didn't stay in the news very long, the Chud promotion to assist as Head Coach #2

Is a great step and significant for this team

I have long felt that Pagano's greatest asset is his ability to motivate and "rah rah" the players.

They clearly love the guy and players seem to want to come here to play because of him

EVERY team needs someone like that.

However,

Pags seems to not be a game planner.

He seems to lack the ability to prepare the team for the opponent properly with the X and Os

so that they can start the game properly

We have been out coached( maybe the word is surprised) by most teams we play

especially in the first half

We look VERY unprepared

I don't know if Chud is the right guy or not, but I view this as a very positive step, as he may be the guy

To start improving the gameplan.

Something this team needs

Though it didn't stay in the news very long, the Chud promotion to assist as Head Coach #2

I have long felt that Pagano's greatest asset is his ability to motivate and "rah rah" the players.

They clearly love the guy and players seem to want to come here to play because of him

However,

He seems to lack the ability to prepare the team for the opponent properly with the X and Os

We look VERY unprepared

I don't know if Chud is the right guy or not, but I view this as a very positive step, as he may be the guy

To me, I don't see what the big difference is in the lateral position change (or name change for that matter).  I'm sure if there is some great difference in job detail or description between the two somebody will know and tell me.  

As far as unprepared goes, Chud was here this whole last season in an assistant HC role and the team still looked unprepared for games more often than I would like that's for sure.  So unless getting the team prepared is a new job description for Chud this coming season, I'm not looking forward to the preparedness of this team if last season is any indication of Chud's prepping prowess. 

However,

We look VERY unprepared

Chud and Pagano previously worked together at 2 different stops.....Miami (college) 1995-2000 and with the Browns in 2004....I think the hiring has to do more with just that extra coach that Pagano is familiar with that has some HC experience who can step in if needed and be the HC so someone like a Clyde Christianson or Pep Hamilton does not have to try to do double duty (offensive coordinator, QB coach) as well as worry about coaching the football team in other game day situations that arise but instead can focus on just there job

Is it the head coach who gets that plan all together and prepares the team or is it on the position coaches getting his squad up and ready for the plan? I've never played football as an organized sport so those of you who have, how does this hierarchy work?

I would assume the HC gets with his OC and DC and picks through game tapes of the opponent for tendencies and then together formulates what areas to attack each week. To me, it would seem the position coaches (lb's db's wr's lineman etc...) would be more instrumental in preparing their guys to be ready. Maybe the coordinators don't work in total enough with the guys who worked all week with their positional coaches. Maybe they work in vacuums too much. I'd love to work in the pats system for a year to see the difference of how they teach and plan as compared to ours.

Is it the head coach who gets that plan all together and prepares the team or is it on the position coaches getting his squad up and ready for the plan? I've never played football as an organized sport so those of you who have, how does this hierarchy work?

I would assume the HC gets with his OC and DC and picks through game tapes of the opponent for tendencies and then together formulates what areas to attack each week. To me, it would seem the position coaches (lb's db's wr's lineman etc...) would be more instrumental in preparing their guys to be ready. Maybe the coordinators don't work in total enough with the guys who worked all week with their positional coaches. Maybe they work in vacuums too much. I'd love to work in the pats system for a year to see the difference of how they teach and plan as compared to ours.

It depends on the team. Usually its the head coach who directs where he wants things to go