Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would be your dream pick for the 1st round pick?

If Melvin Gordon is there at our pick ( I'd be surprised but you never know) I'd love for us to take him. I think he has a real chance to be an elite RB and would be a giant upgrade over what we have now. Just my opinion though.

Well....I can tell you this....99% of your respondents would rather stick their :cuss: in a beehive than have the Colts draft a RB in the 1st round.

Having said that....I'd really like the best OLB, ILB or S with the nastiest (not stupid) streak taken at #29.

Well....I can tell you this....99% of your respondents would rather stick their :cuss: in a beehive than have the Colts draft a RB in the 1st round.

Having said that....I'd really like the best OLB, ILB or S with the nastiest (not stupid) streak taken at #29.

I must be in that 1 percent because Id love it if Gordon were there at our pick.

I don't see us taking a RB with our first pick. I think we will go D line or another defensive position. I think the Colts will address their needs via free agency this year when ti comes to running back and other key positions. We all know that the Colts are going to be cutting players starting with Richardson so be on the look out for a lot of Jim Irsay exciting tweets telling us something BIG is coming. I don't think we are going to settle for mediocre free agents this year like we did in 2013. As a matter of fact I see Landry, Walden, Thomas, and possibly Cherilus being cut. 

I must be in that 1 percent because Id love it if Gordon were there at our pick.

For the record....I prefer that we not rule out ANY position in any round as long as the player's talent, value and scheme-fit dictate the selection.

Taking this line of thought one step further in a shameless use of 20/20 hindsight....and pouring even more salt in our wounds....I'll just point out that had we selected 3-down, premier RB LeVeon Bell over AFCCG healthy scratch/okay OLB Bjorn Werner in THAT draft, it would have, in all likelihood, rendered the Trent Richardson trade 5 months later unnecessary. :facepalm:

I have no idea what Grigson's draft day methodology is...and he may have simply overvalued Werner by a round or two. Or three. No GM bats 1000 and hopefully, Werner just leaps forward and turns out to be an excellent draft day decision by Grigs.

But whatever Grigson does this time around, I agree that an open-minded approach to all available players regardless round is better than categorically ruling out a given position in a given round.

I'm not sure what Melvin Gordon will represent at #29 if he falls to us....I'll leave that to the folks getting paid to do the job....but we damn sure need 4-5 more serious playmakers. 

My realistic dream pick would be Perryman I guess. Then we could get either Coleman, DGB, or Prewitt in the 2nd. My 2nd choice for my dream pick is Vic Beasley. I love the size and athleticism of a guy like Dupree, but I think Beasley is the closest to being a sure thing among the pass rushing prospects.

Out of anyone, probably Leonard Williams. He's extremely productive and our front 7 needs to be strengthened. Out of realistic candidates, I'm currently going with Ereck Flowers. Offensive line is already a need and with Cherilus' problems we really need long term help at tackle. I wasn't really that impressed with Flowers last year but having seen a little bit of him this year he looked really good. 

My dream pick would be Dante Fowler. Something about him just sticks out and makes me think he'll be a star.

My realistic pick would be Jordan Phillips. He's an athletic defensive lineman that already has experience as a nose tackle in a 3-4. He does a good job of stuffing the run and yet he can also collapse the pocket.

I hope we trade back and accumulate picks in the 2016 draft. It is looking like it will be far superior to 2015. 

We could possibly take Phillip Dorsett WR from Miami (FL) or David Cobb RB Minnesota. Actually, if we get these two guys with our first two picks, I will be ecstatic! 

I realize we need defense, but we can't force the issue and reach for a player. Running back is a VERY strong position in this draft, I would hate to miss out. I think there is a strong group of wide receivers as well. Dorsett looks a lot like Antonio Brown to me. Cobb is a bigger, more powerful  Ray Rice. 

I am intrigued with Lynden Trail OLB from Norfolk State as our 3rd round pick. Not sure we could wait for him with our 4th rounder. He needs a little seasoning, but could be a beast on the strong side. 

I hope we trade back and accumulate picks in the 2016 draft. It is looking like it will be far superior to 2015. 

We could possibly take Phillip Dorsett WR from Miami (FL) or David Cobb RB Minnesota. Actually, if we get these two guys with our first two picks, I will be ecstatic! 

I realize we need defense, but we can't force the issue and reach for a player. Running back is a VERY strong position in this draft, I would hate to miss out. I think there is a strong group of wide receivers as well. Dorsett looks a lot like Antonio Brown to me. Cobb is a bigger, more powerful  Ray Rice. 

I am intrigued with Lynden Trail OLB from Norfolk State as our 3rd round pick. Not sure we could wait for him with our 4th rounder. He needs a little seasoning, but could be a beast on the strong side. 

If our first two picks are skill guys I will lose my &%$#.

If our first two picks are skill guys I will lose my &%$#.

Why reach to fill a need? Dorsett and Cobb have the potential to be Pro Bowl caliber players and give the offense a jolt. We need a wide receiver and we we need a running back. Duron Carter is a wild card. He could be a great addition who contributes right away, or he may need a little time to adjust. Wide receiver and running back are strong positions in the 2015 draft. 

Offensive line is a weak position in this year's draft. It appears that the top pass rushers will be long gone by pick #29. I don't see a safety worth taking early. If we re-sign Jerrell Freeman, we won't look LB early. I could see taking a corner like Marcus Peters, but I feel there will be some value in the middle rounds at corner. 

Shaq Thompson, dude makes plays everywhere he's at.

He's a guy I've tagged to watch tape on when I start that process.  I know they're highlights, but I've seen a few gifs of him in pass coverage which I liked.  He's quick to get to the ball, but it doesn't appear that he's good at taking on and shedding blocks.  Based on that very limited sample, I can see why people say he probably projects better as a safety, especially given his size.  My only issue with taking him in the first round is that I am not sure that safety is as big a position need as our OL/DL.  But I'm all for us taking the BPA - assuming Shaq is the BPA -  if there's no lineman there worth the first round selection. 

Why reach to fill a need? Dorsett and Cobb have the potential to be Pro Bowl caliber players and give the offense a jolt. We need a wide receiver and we we need a running back. Duron Carter is a wild card. He could be a great addition who contributes right away, or he may need a little time to adjust. Wide receiver and running back are strong positions in the 2015 draft. 

Offensive line is a weak position in this year's draft. It appears that the top pass rushers will be long gone by pick #29. I don't see a safety worth taking early. If we re-sign Jerrell Freeman, we won't look LB early. I could see taking a corner like Marcus Peters, but I feel there will be some value in the middle rounds at corner. 

Nobody said anything about reaching.  You simply do not build a team by drafting RBs and WRs in the first and second round.  The notion that Grigson won't look for an upgrade at LB if we sign Freeman tells me everything I need to know about your POV.

Nobody said anything about reaching.  You simply do not build a team by drafting RBs and WRs in the first and second round.  The notion that Grigson won't look for an upgrade at LB if we sign Freeman tells me everything I need to know about your POV.

Who would you take at ILB early? Denzel Perryman? He is 5'10"  tall, how long do you expect him to hold up? Bernardrick McKinney? It appears as if he will be gone by pick #29 and from what I have read he struggles dropping back into coverage. Paul Dawson? I could get on board, his stock is rising, but it does not appear like he would start for us. 

With Freeman (if resigned) and Jackson as starters, why use a high pick on a guy who will not start? A guy like Stephone Anthony from Clemson or Zach Vigil from Utah State provides us with upgraded depth, and gives them a year to be groomed. 

Bottom line, you don't pass up top line talent. In my opinion, the way the draft is shaping up, it looks like we could get the most value by trading back and selecting a WR and RB. Talent still matches need.

You want David Cobb in the 2nd and you're talking about reaching? Taking a WR and RB 1&2 is the worst outcome I can think of

You want David Cobb in the 2nd and you're talking about reaching? Taking a WR and RB 1&2 is the worst outcome I can think of

Absolutely! Who would you take on defense that would be available in the 2nd round that would have a bigger impact? To revisit my earlier post, I would trade down into the early 2nd round to take Phillip Dorsett. I think he compares very favorably to Antonio Brown. Cobb would easily be our best running back. 

The whole point I am trying to make, however, is that I would not reach to fill a need. I do not see a safety worth taking in the first two rounds. I don't see a defensive or offensive lineman worth taking being available either. I would not pass on two high caliber offensive skill position players in order to fill a need on defense by reaching for a player. 

In the 3rd to 5th round range, I could see looking at some guys like Lynden Trail, Henry Anderson, Stephone Anthony, Jacorey Shepherd, and Ladarius Gunter. 

Absolutely! Who would you take on defense that would be available in the 2nd round that would have a bigger impact? To revisit my earlier post, I would trade down into the early 2nd round to take Phillip Dorsett. I think he compares very favorably to Antonio Brown. Cobb would easily be our best running back. 

The whole point I am trying to make, however, is that I would not reach to fill a need. I do not see a safety worth taking in the first two rounds. I don't see a defensive or offensive lineman worth taking being available either. I would not pass on two high caliber offensive skill position players in order to fill a need on defense by reaching for a player. 

In the 3rd to 5th round range, I could see looking at some guys like Lynden Trail, Henry Anderson, Stephone Anthony, Jacorey Shepherd, and Ladarius Gunter.

Well, it's FAR too early to say who will be there and who won't. Scouts Inc rank Benardrick McKinney as the 42nd best player while Daniel Jeremiah ranks him 16th....so who knows at this point.

I'm not opposed to taking a WR high if he is clearly the best available, but it would be a disappointment.

He's a guy I've tagged to watch tape on when I start that process. I know they're highlights, but I've seen a few gifs of him in pass coverage which I liked. He's quick to get to the ball, but it doesn't appear that he's good at taking on and shedding blocks. Based on that very limited sample, I can see why people say he probably projects better as a safety, especially given his size. My only issue with taking him in the first round is that I am not sure that safety is as big a position need as our OL/DL. But I'm all for us taking the BPA - assuming Shaq is the BPA - if there's no lineman there worth the first round selection.

I envision taking shaq and making him an inside linebacker, if he puts on a little more weight he would dominate in coverage at 6'2' and close to 230. And he has enough speed to cover sideline to sideline and could help with blitzing the QB. Just what I would like to see.