Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gregg Doyel article on the game

CanuckColt

They played NE 3 times, NE used pretty much the same game plan in each one. I'd say if the Colts didn't "learn" from it the 1st and 2nd time, they sure a hell won't learn from the 3rd.

I think it's funny how Doyel assumes he knows exactly what the coaching staff did during the week.  Sure, the coaching staff didn't have their best performance.  But they can only do so much from the sideline.  Manusky can call the perfect defensive play, but if the players don't execute, you can't blame the coach.

Doyel is putting all the blame on the coaches.  For that to be true, he would have to know what they did during the week in preparation, he would have to know the Pats' tendencies, and he would have to know exactly what plays were called by our coaches.

His little piece on the Pats having a numerical disadvantage is football ignorance at its finest.  Let's say we come out with Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, Allen, and Herron.  The Pats go Arrington and McCourty on Hilton, Revis on Moncrief, Browner on Wayne, and Collins on Allen.  Then Chung on Herron.  That's 6 defensive players on our 5 offensive options.  That leaves 5 Patriots defenders left, allowing the Pats to blitz, or rush 4 and have another defender in a "spy" role to prevent Luck from scrambling.  Just because you have numbers to your advantage, doesn't mean you have the play to your advantage.  This isn't math, it's football.

Again, the coaching staff does deserve a fair share of the blame for the loss.  But a lot of credit should also go to Belichick and the Pats.  I think this was a very poorly written article.  I agree with the sentiment, for the most part, but it's a poorly written piece.

The sad thing is that there were times when Hilton was double teamed and NO ONE ELSE was open. Moncrief is still a project but what does that say about Reggie and Hakeem Nicks at this point when they can't even get open consistently. I'm not overly confident with any level of the coaching staff or front office right now. Barnwell had a great article on Grantland today for what the Colts should do this off-season.

I'd say we have officially found a member of the media who HATES Chuck Pagano.

Say what you will about what was written,  it was the how it was written that jumped off the page at me.    It was personal.

He doesn't like Chuck Pagano as a coach.   Period.   And he made it clear.    And I think he'd like Pagano fired ASAP.   In fact I was surprised he didn't say it.

But at least it's now out in the open.....

Nah.  The schemeing or game plan wasn't the problem.  How about talent? 

2 rookie UDFA RBs,  2 WRs that can't run, as well as rookie LG, a vet minimum starting G, and a vet minimum RT that's played 4 games there.  The Colts didn't light up the broncos or the bengals either, or really anybody all season.

Or a defense that has pedestrian players other than 1 CB. 

A different scheme would have yielded the same result.

Say what you will about what was written, it was the how it was written that jumped off the page at me. It was personal.

He doesn't like Chuck Pagano as a coach. Period. And he made it clear. And I think he'd like Pagano fired ASAP. In fact I was surprised he didn't say it.

Loved every word of it. Something needs to change. Now people are criticizing Luck. Luck's agent should demand changes be made before he signs long term. Luck himself is too nice to do it.

I maintain that if u substitute Chuck and his staff w/ any staff in the AFC south, we still win the division because we have Andrew Luck and they don't. And if u sub Luck w/ any QB in the afc south, the team Luck goes to will win the division. Even the Jags.

Now its time to find a real coach that can take this team to another level.

Say what you will about what was written, it was the how it was written that jumped off the page at me. It was personal.

He doesn't like Chuck Pagano as a coach. Period. And he made it clear. And I think he'd like Pagano fired ASAP. In fact I was surprised he didn't say it.

That's not true. He has written articles praising Chuck. Also other ones not. Doyle jumps back and forth a lot and always has. It is his MO. That said, he's been a great read for the Star IMO, and was also entertaining at CBS before but had the same style.

I think it's funny how Doyel assumes he knows exactly what the coaching staff did during the week.  Sure, the coaching staff didn't have their best performance.  But they can only do so much from the sideline.  Manusky can call the perfect defensive play, but if the players don't execute, you can't blame the coach.

Doyel is putting all the blame on the coaches.  For that to be true, he would have to know what they did during the week in preparation, he would have to know the Pats' tendencies, and he would have to know exactly what plays were called by our coaches.

His little piece on the Pats having a numerical disadvantage is football ignorance at its finest.  Let's say we come out with Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, Allen, and Herron.  The Pats go Arrington and McCourty on Hilton, Revis on Moncrief, Browner on Wayne, and Collins on Allen.  Then Chung on Herron.  That's 6 defensive players on our 5 offensive options.  That leaves 5 Patriots defenders left, allowing the Pats to blitz, or rush 4 and have another defender in a "spy" role to prevent Luck from scrambling.  Just because you have numbers to your advantage, doesn't mean you have the play to your advantage.  This isn't math, it's football.

Again, the coaching staff does deserve a fair share of the blame for the loss.  But a lot of credit should also go to Belichick and the Pats.  I think this was a very poorly written article.  I agree with the sentiment, for the most part, but it's a poorly written piece.

You should watch the games. And the writer is so spot on a cave man should understand his #`s logic. GL

Of course our LB`s couldn`t cover the flats where Chuck & Manusky had them lined up. It was Folly both games with NE.

Loved every word of it. Something needs to change. Now people are criticizing Luck. Luck's agent should demand changes be made before he signs long term. Luck himself is too nice to do it.

I think I read somewhere that Luck's agent is actually his uncle. It'll be interesting to see how his mega-deal is structured and negotiated from both sides.

When Tony Dungy was hired our defense was supposed to improve - When Chuck Pagano was hired our Defense was supposed to improve & I'm still waiting .

WTH     still waiting .    As a defensive coach I expect much more out of a Chuck Pagano D  something along the lines of the Ravens or the Steelers .

Not the keystone cops .  Defense Sucks Defense Sucks Defense Sucks fix this joke of a monster - We were building a monster & we end up with Mr Potato head .

l

Say what you will about what was written,  it was the how it was written that jumped off the page at me.    It was personal.

He doesn't like Chuck Pagano as a coach.   Period.   And he made it clear.    And I think he'd like Pagano fired ASAP.   In fact I was surprised he didn't say it.

I'm not the least bit surprised considering who shared the article with us. :)

The sad thing is that there were times when Hilton was double teamed and NO ONE ELSE was open. Moncrief is still a project but what does that say about Reggie and Hakeem Nicks at this point when they can't even get open consistently. I'm not overly confident with any level of the coaching staff or front office right now. Barnwell had a great article on Grantland today for what the Colts should do this off-season.

Do you have a link? I can't find it

I'm not the least bit surprised considering who shared the article with us. :)

Oh.    Nice catch.   Very good point.

And to think Canadians have a well earned reputation for being the nicest people around....    Guess it goes to show that there's always an exception to every rule!!

:loco:     :facepalm:

When Tony Dungy was hired our defense was supposed to improve - When Chuck Pagano was hired our Defense was supposed to improve & I'm still waiting .

WTH still waiting . As a defensive coach I expect much more out of a Chuck Pagano D something along the lines of the Ravens or the Steelers .

Not the keystone cops . Defense Sucks Defense Sucks Defense Sucks fix this joke of a monster - We were building a monster & we end up with Mr Potato head .

l

I agree! I'm still waiting for a defense. Which is easier said than done. If you look at most top tiered defenses they used high draft picks and built from the trenches out. Same goes for teams with a killer run game. Look at their lines and when they were drafted. Ever since the manning era we have been stuck in drafting skill positions and filling the trenches with scrubs.

You should watch the games. And the writer is so spot on a cave man should understand his #`s logic. GL

Of course our LB`s couldn`t cover the flats where Chuck & Manusky had them lined up. It was Folly both games with NE.

I did watch the game.  I agree with his sentiment that poor coaching contributed to our loss.  But Doyel acts like it's 100% on the coaches.  That's foolish to suggest.  The offense didn't put up points, the defense couldn't stop their running game, and our special teams didn't help us either.  They beat us in all 4 phases of offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.  Doyel is making is seem like our coaches are what cost us the game