Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson was apparently suspended for the AFCCG.

Dustin

It's another example of why speed tests at the Combine are overrated. It's fun to measure guys against one another, but when a high level athlete spends six weeks working on running the perfect 40 yard dash, you should expect peak performance. That has little to do with how he carries the football in the 4th quarter in mid-December. 

As for power, Richardson ran strong in his rookie year. Not great adjusted numbers, but he did a better job of running through contact and finishing strong than he ever has as a Colt. 

I watched a bit of TR in his rookie year as I owned him in a high stakes FF league. He no doubt ran the ball better that year than he has with the Colts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that Wells is way out in left field on this. There is no way you can suspend a player for two games on what is in all probability non egregious stuff and then void his guaranteed money. I think its almost laughable

Yup. And what I learned from the Brady restructure a few weeks ago is that guaranteed money is placed in escrow, so it's not like the Colts can just refuse to cut the check and tie it up in appeals and lawsuits and whatnot. Unless there's a real reason for him to not be paid his "guaranteed" money, he'll be paid. 

As much as I'd love for him to get popped for PEDs or something so that the team gets that cap space freed up, it doesn't appear to be the case here. He has some fences to mend to even be on the team next year, and I think that his fate is all but sealed. He doesn't appear to have a very promising ceiling, and it's the perfect opportunity for the Colts to make an example of him. They'll even eat guaranteed money and flush a first rounder to get rid of a guy who isn't all-in and can't/won't bring his A game. It would immediately put guys like Werner, Holmes, Thornton, etc., on notice. 

Still a long way to go before those decisions are made, though.

Not the Bengals game; he actually played a snap. But the Broncos game, very possibly that was a team suspension. Then the Pats game, obviously. Grigson didn't elaborate on that, and wasn't asked to (fault the guys in the room for that lacking detail, IMO).

Suspension is from the team, so if he travelled there, he wasn't suspended.

Hughes was a developing young player starting to come into his own in that 3-4 whereas Sheppard has already been around long enough to where you knew what he was bringing to the table.

Hughes was still a young up and coming player that was still developing while Sheppard was not...he had been around long enough to know what you're getting?  So, an interesting tidbit for you...Hughes was drafted the year BEFORE Sheppard. 

Hughes was still a young up and coming player that was still developing while Sheppard was not...he had been around long enough to know what you're getting?  So, an interesting tidbit for you...Hughes was drafted the year BEFORE Sheppard. 

haha... this stuff will never ever get old.

I watched a bit of TR in his rookie year as I owned him in a high stakes FF league. He no doubt ran the ball better that year than he has with the Colts.

I honestly never saw elite traits in TRich when he was at Alabama. David Wilson was always a far superior prospect in my eyes, unfortunately his fumbling followed him to the nfl and we all know how his carrer ended.

But then again, I loved Marcus Smith last draft and he can't sniff the field for the eagles.

I honestly never saw elite traits in TRich when he was at Alabama. David Wilson was always a far superior prospect in my eyes, unfortunately his fumbling followed him to the nfl and we all know how his carrer ended.

But then again, I loved Marcus Smith last draft and he can't sniff the field for the eagles.

For sure a huge swing and a miss for Cleveland taking him at #3 in the Luck draft. To their credit , they did a heck of a job recouping some of that loss.

No way in hell...   

Indy is angling to keep the 3. whatever million he is owed.    JMV eluded to it toady on the show. 

and it has a VERY good chance of happening.    

It will all unfold.    Trent is lazy and fat. ....    Period.   Bye

Bet he is on the roster next year

Yes NE and the first game next year...    Pre or Reg?   Probably will not matter, Trent is done in Indy.. 

Generally, yeah, but if it's handled in house, they could have handled it however they chose.

But it does look like it was the Pats game plus the next game. 

No way in hell...   

Indy is angling to keep the 3. whatever million he is owed.    JMV eluded to it toady on the show. 

and it has a VERY good chance of happening.    

It will all unfold.    Trent is lazy and fat. ....    Period.   Bye

I don't think they would suspend him 2 games unless they planned on bringing him in and keeping him next year

They planned to get to the Super Bowl.

That's still different, Why suspend a player that's only use at this point is to fill a roster spot rather then cut him, I just think there are one to many reasons not to let him at least earn a roster spot next year....Giving up a 1st round pick....I still find it hard to believe Grigson would cut ties with him with 1 year left at minimal cap hit plus we don't really have a rb on the roster that's either 1)healthy and not coming off an injury OR established themselves as the lead Back, I mean Herron played the role but he didn't do much with it outside that 1 80 yard run, Im certainly not campaigning for Richardson....I think you know that.......But I think he will be on the roster come next year after its all said and done

That's still different, Why suspend a player that's only use at this point is to fill a roster spot rather then cut him, I just think there are one to many reasons not to let him at least earn a roster spot next year....Giving up a 1st round pick....I still find it hard to believe Grigson would cut ties with him with 1 year left at minimal cap hit plus we don't really have a rb on the roster that's either 1)healthy and not coming off an injury OR established themselves as the lead Back, I mean Herron played the role but he didn't do much with it outside that 1 80 yard run, Im certainly not campaigning for Richardson....I think you know that.......But I think he will be on the roster come next year after its all said and done

because now they don't owe him 3 million dollars next year

I thought that was fully guaranteed?

It was, except, apparently in cases where a player is suspended for two or more games.

Trent was suspended for 2 games.   Apparently,  according to former Bucs GM Mark Dominick,  the Colts are now able to get out from still owing and paying him the money.    If true,  huge mistake by Trent.     I expect the NFLPA to challenge this strongly.

I totally agree that this will not be an "out" to the 2015 contract but I did see this. But I think Wells is full of poop.

Trent Richardson's suspension will extend to Week 1 of the 2015 season if he remains with the Colts.

The suspension was purportedly for both the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl, but the Colts didn't make it to the Super Bowl. So T-Rich is technically suspended one more game. It's conceivable the Colts could use Richardson's suspension to free themselves from his 2015 guaranteed salary. The guarantees may void if Richardson's conduct was detrimental to the team.

This isn't from Mike Wells.    Yes,  that's his twitter, but the story comes from former Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominick.   He tweeted that Trent being suspended for two games clears the Colts of having to pay the guaranteed money.    This may be part of the CBA.

So, this isn't opinion from Mike Wells.   It's info from a former league official who should know.

Now maybe the Colts are still on the hook?   Who knows?    Maybe we're playing fast and loose with the suspension.   But all of that is still to be determined....

This isn't from Mike Wells.    Yes,  that's his twitter, but the story comes from former Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominick.   He tweeted that Trent being suspended for two games clears the Colts of having to pay the guaranteed money.    This may be part of the CBA.

So, this isn't opinion from Mike Wells.   It's info from a former league official who should know.

Now maybe the Colts are still on the hook?   Who knows?    Maybe we're playing fast and loose with the suspension.   But all of that is still to be determined....

Yes I'm aware that it could be the Colts have an out. Evidently some of the rookie contracts do indeed have these kinds of provisions which I didn't know when i made that post

This isn't from Mike Wells. Yes, that's his twitter, but the story comes from former Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominick. He tweeted that Trent being suspended for two games clears the Colts of having to pay the guaranteed money. This may be part of the CBA.

So, this isn't opinion from Mike Wells. It's info from a former league official who should know.

Now maybe the Colts are still on the hook? Who knows? Maybe we're playing fast and loose with the suspension. But all of that is still to be determined....

Pretty sure it is a TRich-specific contract issue, not a CBA issue.

Pretty sure it is a TRich-specific contract issue, not a CBA issue.

You could be right,  but if so,  I'd like to know how Mark Dominick would know this?

He'd know it if it was a CBA issue...   but how would he know if it is specific to Trent?

And why would Trent's agents have included this in his rookie deal?

You could be right, but if so, I'd like to know how Mark Dominick would know this?

He'd know it if it was a CBA issue... but how would he know if it is specific to Trent?

And why would Trent's agents have included this in his rookie deal?

That's why I don't buy this 100% yet. He'd have to know content of contract. There is CBA language for voiding related to not practicing, suspensions, conduct detrimental, which was used in the Rice and Hernandez cases. Just don't think the Colts are trying to play that angle. Weak stance and too much litigation. However, Dominik said it was his contract with the strong voiding language. Don't know how he knows that, unless an agent friend passed it along to him.