Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did we go away from the run so quickly?

RockThatBlue

I agree. In past games we couldn't run against the Pats because they stopped the run. In this game, we were actually running the ball well. So why go away from it? We played right into their hands and willingly made ourselves one-sided. The score at halftime was 17-7. We should've run the ball much more the first half, but we didn't. It's just one of the many baffling decisions that were made last night.

Cuz NE offense was putting the pressure on our Offense

The game was still quite close in the first half though. Luck I think had over 20 passes but we only had six runs? A little ridiculous especially since we were showing that we could run. I like pep but I feel like he goes away from running game too much, even when its working.

The game was still quite close in the first half though. Luck I think had over 20 passes but we only had six runs? A little ridiculous especially since we were showing that we could run. I like pep but I feel like he goes away from running game too much, even when its working.

And especially when the passing game wasn't working.

Pep is bad at his job . He kept calling zone stretch play against man D so our D was on the field way to much and gassed out .

....completely ignore the fact that he called plays for the number one passing offense in the league and the 3rd overall offense.

I think Pep has room to improve, but he is far from bad at his job

Herron was averaging 4-5 ypc in the first half (i remember it being said on the halftime show) but only had like six runs. I'm not saying we would have won if we ran it more, but it looked to me like the run game was working and then bam pep went away from it.

I agree we should not have gone away from the run....Herron had actually been running well. and was able to break some good ones.... I thought going into the Game we were gonna be Run heavy and throw in a few play actions, here and there to control the flow of the game and most importantly the clock. 

And especially when the passing game wasn't working.

Exactly. Nobody was getting open but we had about 5ypc running the ball. But we kept passing. That's just dumb IMO.

And we were only down 7-10 points so its not like we had to panic and start slinging it all over the field that early in the game.

Exactly. Nobody was getting open but we had about 5ypc running the ball. But we kept passing. That's just dumb IMO.

And we were only down 7-10 points so its not like we had to panic and start slinging it all over the field that early in the game.

It just shows that there's not much flexibility in the Colts' offensive game plan. If the Pats saw that the run game was working, (like they did) they would run the ball down the Colts throats. Unfortunately, the Colts saw that the run game was working and went away from it. Now, they didn't have many possessions, however, perhaps they would've had more possessions if they ran the ball.

Should have been at least starting the 1st downs with run and if it worked, just kept doing it.  Had we ran the ball more, if would have kept the Pats O off the field and not had us forced to go long on 3rd down. 

....completely ignore the fact that he called plays for the number one passing offense in the league and the 3rd overall offense.

I think Pep has room to improve, but he is far from bad at his job

All that means nothing at this point and if we played in a good division those stats would be drastically different .

Not sure complaining about the lack of runs is warranted here.  Colts offense got them right back in the game only down 7 points and then never seen the ball again except for a kneel down until it was 24-7. Game over.   Defense gave up a FG before half and then a TD after half.  That was all she wrote right there.

All that means nothing at this point and if we played in a good division those stats would be drastically different .

Can you prove that?  We went 3-1 against the AFC North and 2-2 against the NFC East.

How does it mean nothing now?  Last year, Pep was frustrating.  They were so insistent on running the ball when we couldn't and running it with Richardson, who is a terrible RB.  This year, he put the ball more in Luck's hands.  I still don't like some of his playcalling (he really loves those WR screens that we can't execute very well), but he contributed to making us one of the best offenses in the league.  To say he is not good at his job is simply inaccurate.  If he wasn't good at his job, why would his name be circulating so much as a head coaching candidate?

Herron was averaging 4-5 ypc in the first half (i remember it being said on the halftime show) but only had like six runs. I'm not saying we would have won if we ran it more, but it looked to me like the run game was working and then bam pep went away from it.

We did exacty what NE wanted us to do .They were giving us the run all night playing that 4-2-5 defense and they knew we were dumb enough to keep throwing the ball. That's on PEP and Luck .