Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agent for Duron Carter talking with Colts

PeterBowman

Chiefs won’t sign receiver Duron Carter, son of Hall of Famer Cris Carter

... On Friday, ESPN’s Ben Goessling reported that Carter is down to two unidentified finalists. He previously told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the Vikings are his front runner.

Carter is eligible to sign with an NFL team on Feb. 10.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy frolicking through the flower fields, and any posts I make should be taken with little regard and less seriousness, unless I'm picking useless fights!!!!! But mostly the flowers thing. I love lilies.

I'm clever like you!!! Yay!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about this kid and where he ends up?

Nope, me2.  I think it's funny how hot of a topic it is, when he would clearly be minimum a 4 WR on the depth chart, and that is if EVERYTHING goes his way.  If he were to sign, I think he would be fighting to make the roster to tell you the truth.  Ty Donte and either Reggie or Hakeem will be back.  That puts him at four, but that's not even a guarantee.

Nope, me2.  I think it's funny how hot of a topic it is, when he would clearly be minimum a 4 WR on the depth chart, and that is if EVERYTHING goes his way.  If he were to sign, I think he would be fighting to make the roster to tell you the truth.  Ty Donte and either Reggie or Hakeem will be back.  That puts him at four, but that's not even a guarantee.

Nothing is a guarantee, he could end up bing a number 1 wr.  I'm not counting on it, but if the Colts front office think he can help and be a productive member of the team why not.  Since the Colts do need to add a receiver, signing Carter might free up a draft pick for other areas.

First time I've seen a source say with certainty they flunked a drug test. Still sounds like speculation that was the reason from the article but who knows. I won't lose sleep either way. Sounds like the kid has grown up. We're al stupid as kids finding our ways, most grow up, very few are flawless.

Moncreif hasn't done much yet. So far he's undeveloped. Maybe because he wasn't ready But more probably Pags loved/respected Reggie too much and kept valuable playing time away from Moncreif.

The way Reggie played toward the end of year you don't think Carter will be a better option? Nicks and Wayne just don't get open/separation.

Imo if Carter is signed he will be battling with Moncreif for #2.

I will give you the fact that RW should probably retire but the OC has to draw up better plays that open up receiver's. You can't tell me that the Pats have such elite wr's that they are able to get 5-10 yards of separation play after play? TY and Moncrief should have been able to catch more balls than they did but every play was hotly contested when they tried to throw. Luck missed a few plays to his guys but they just don't seem to try and scheme for getting receivers open, we try and out talent them. The NFL is full of guys close in talent, its the coaches who plan better and put the guys in better positions to succeed. Nothing points this out more than this past game. Pep wouldn't be a pimple on BB booty in devising plays for specific games played. Pep does just enough to say wow, look at this play or look at that one, this coach has vision. Then he goes on a trek of just bland regular plays and say, your the athlete, out athlete the defender. Need better than this.  

I thought it was always Peytons fault that he loses

Nothing is a guarantee, he could end up bing a number 1 wr.  I'm not counting on it, but if the Colts front office think he can help and be a productive member of the team why not.  Since the Colts do need to add a receiver, signing Carter might free up a draft pick for other areas.

There is a reason he was in the CFL.  He wasn't good enough to be in the NFL.  It is extremely safe to say he wouldn't be better than TY or Donte, they are clearly the future of the Colts.   I would say Colts aren't going to let Reggie and Hakeem both leave to put them in the position of being so needy, because banking on a CFL star to be good just isn't that smart.  .  It just wouldn't make sense.  Go ahead and bash Nicks.  Everyone who is on D Carters side mostly doesn't like Hakeem, and they are just looking for the next best thing.  Hate to burst everybody's bubble but  Carter he isn't going to be what he was in the CFL.  Henoc Muamba was a #1 pick in the CFL one year and he isn't a starter.  I understand that is only one case, and that Jerrell Freeman played in the CFL and turned out to be good, but is he that great?  He is the best LB on the Colts but that's not saying much.

Signing  Carter would be better than drafting a FA IMO though, because we have much bigger needs.

TY Hilton is a pro bowler and Donte Moncrief was just drafted, so you think the staff would put Carter in front of either?

There is a reason he was in the CFL.  He wasn't good enough to be in the NFL.  It is extremely safe to say he wouldn't be better than TY or Donte, they are clearly the future of the Colts.   I would say Colts aren't going to let Reggie and Hakeem both leave to put them in the position of being so needy, because banking on a CFL star to be good just isn't that smart.  .  It just wouldn't make sense.  Go ahead and bash Nicks.  Everyone who is on D Carters side mostly doesn't like Hakeem, and they are just looking for the next best thing.  Hate to burst everybody's bubble but  Carter he isn't going to be what he was in the CFL.  Henoc Muamba was a #1 pick in the CFL one year and he isn't a starter.  I understand that is only one case, and that Jerrell Freeman played in the CFL and turned out to be good, but is he that great?  He is the best LB on the Colts but that's not saying much.

Signing  Carter would be better than drafting a FA IMO though, because we have much bigger needs.

TY Hilton is a pro bowler and Donte Moncrief was just drafted, so you think the staff would put Carter in front of either?

First, let me say I am a big Moncrief fan and think he definitely has potential. But, I think declaring that he is "clearly the future" of the Colts is a bit of a stretch given his current body of work.

I don't think Carter is the next coming of M  Harrison ... but at this stage of the off season there really aren't many players we could be trying to sign, and he is going to be cheap .... given his potential and his cheap price why not grab him if we can, and see what he can do.  Worst case scenario he is a bust that cost us next to nothing and we cut him.

Moncreif hasn't done much yet. So far he's undeveloped. Maybe because he wasn't ready But more probably Pags loved/respected Reggie too much and kept valuable playing time away from Moncreif.

The way Reggie played toward the end of year you don't think Carter will be a better option? Nicks and Wayne just don't get open/separation.

Imo if Carter is signed he will be battling with Moncreif for #2.

I definitely agree with your opinion for the most part.  I noticed the staff took a different approach once the playoffs started.  Obviously TY is the #1 playmaker in the offense.   It seems they respect Reggie and wanted him to be a part of the team but understand he isn't the same.  I believe he had less than 10 snaps in the AFC CG.  Nicks and Moncrief was a bigger part of the team in the closing weeks of the regular season and playoffs.  It sounds like Reggie wants to play another season, but depends on the Colts, and if he truly thinks he can still do it.  That being said, Moncrief was drafted to be a big part of our future.  Sure, he was a rookie, but he was drafted in the 3rd round, so you can expect he won't be brushed off, especially since you saw his snaps increase throughout the season.  I'd say if Reggie does leave, the Colts do realize that TY and a learning Moncrief cannot do it all and will want Nicks back.  Whether they pay him or not will be determined.  Everybody says Nicks can't get separation, but does that stop him from catching the ball, especially if Luck puts it on him?  Carter is a CFL player.  Who cares if he is a HOF son.  It's irrelevant.  His highlights, also are somewhat irrelevant, because it is against CFL CB's.  Not top tier talent, so how can anybody say he is even that good.  He will not be battling for a starting spot.  There are many other FA that Colts could pick up that would be better stepping in. 

The GOOD thing is....... There is no risk for the Colts with Carter

The odds are against him ... But if he becomes an all pro, it was brilliant

If he is an average 3rd string player that produces........ It was a good choice

If he stinks, and is cut, oh well........... No foul. No problem

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about this kid and where he ends up?

Nope. I'm not truly impressed. I think some of the hype is over his dad (who if I'm not mistaken is Luck's pro bowl coach) as opposed to his skills. Would I be mad if he signed with us, absolutely not, would I be mad if he didnt, heck no. I think this is a low risk/medium reward type player.

I do not know if Carter would be better than Hilton, Moncrief or Nicks, I will leave that up to the coaches and GM to determine.  Warren Moon and Cameron Wake also played in the CFL and Moon did well and Wake is doing well in the NFL.  I am not saying Carter will be as good as any of those but you never know he may be better, but as I said I will let the Colts staff make that determination.  If the contract is not a cost prohibitive one, why not?  All this is contingent on the Colts actually believing that Carter is worth signing.

Word is that Duron really wants to sign with Colts but worried about playing time. Rotoworld, I don't know how to post the link. To me Montcrief, Hilton and carter would be a good mix. Sign this kid and let him play. For those of you who want to resign nicks, nicks would be stupid move. he's washed up and at a million to resign for a year would be a waste of a million we could use elsewhere. This way if they sign duron we don't really need to focus on receiver in FA or until late in draft if we choose. reggie might come back or retire, if he does come back his role is severelyt diminished anyway

I do not know if Carter would be better than Hilton, Moncrief or Nicks, I will leave that up to the coaches and GM to determine.  Warren Moon and Cameron Wake also played in the CFL and Moon did well and Wake is doing well in the NFL.  I am not saying Carter will be as good as any of those but you never know he may be better, but as I said I will let the Colts staff make that determination.  If the contract is not a cost prohibitive one, why not?  All this is contingent on the Colts actually believing that Carter is worth signing.

I'm definitely not opposed to signing him.  I believe it would be a low risk high reward deal.  He isn't going to get a lot of money because he is unproven, but he does have potential, so I'm optimistic.  The only thing that confuses me, there are fans on here acting like he is a lock to be good.  Knowing he is a HOF son and seeing a few highlights don't mean anything.  You have to prove it on the (NFL) field.  I believe he will be good enough to contribute, and the Colts want him, but I'm not having real high expectations, especially with as many weapons the Colts have on offense.

I'm definitely not opposed to signing him.  I believe it would be a low risk high reward deal.  He isn't going to get a lot of money because he is unproven, but he does have potential, so I'm optimistic.  The only thing that confuses me, there are fans on here acting like he is a lock to be good.  Knowing he is a HOF son and seeing a few highlights don't mean anything.  You have to prove it on the (NFL) field.  I believe he will be good enough to contribute, and the Colts want him, but I'm not having real high expectations, especially with as many weapons the Colts have on offense.

There are posters that feel he is going to be great.  It seems that there are always posters using hyperbole on every potential signing by the Colts, either the player will be a bust or a future HOF player.

Word is that Duron really wants to sign with Colts but worried about playing time. Rotoworld, I don't know how to post the link. To me Montcrief, Hilton and carter would be a good mix. Sign this kid and let him play. For those of you who want to resign nicks, nicks would be stupid move. he's washed up and at a million to resign for a year would be a waste of a million we could use elsewhere. This way if they sign duron we don't really need to focus on receiver in FA or until late in draft if we choose. reggie might come back or retire, if he does come back his role is severelyt diminished anyway

Here's the link

Colts frontrunners for CFL star WR Duron Carter (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1utsFdG

The only reason he would sign with the vikings is because his daddy told him to. Hes a grown man, he should sign with the colts. Otherwise would be a decision he regrets.

From what I have heard his father would prefer the Colts.

We need a stud at WR! A big fast target. Reggie getting old I say we sign a big name proven WR. Someone like Dez Bryant if he is able to test free agency.

I Don't Disagree.

But signing Carter shouldn't have anything to do with signing a big stud #1 we. We need another one also.

I heard that the lions may have to choose between Suh and Calvin. If Calvin becomes available wouldn't that be something great to lineup across TY?