Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agent for Duron Carter talking with Colts

PeterBowman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a stud at WR! A big fast target. Reggie getting old I say we sign a big name proven WR. Someone like Dez Bryant if he is able to test free agency.

Lol! Dez bryant is a beast but his attitude does not fit the colts. But again, I think we need this spirit on our team.

There are a lot of people saying there is no downside to this guy if we sign him. If he does good, great. If he does bad, cut him and move on. The problem is that we could sign him and Grigson may think highly enough of him that he could pass up a WR that might fall in the NFL Draft and instead reach on a different position of need. This is worst case scenario where the fallen WR (a kevin white or devante parker possibly) goes on to become the next reggie wayne, and we get a 1st round bust along with duron carter who gets cut because he isn't good enough or has attitude problems, etc... If we go with Duron Carter, I still hope we at least draft a WR at bare minimum, and I wouldn't be opposed to taking one as high as the first three rounds. Hopefully Grigson's opinion isn't extremely high of Carter, it could have a domino effect that burns us.

First time I've seen a source say with certainty they flunked a drug test. Still sounds like speculation that was the reason from the article but who knows. I won't lose sleep either way. Sounds like the kid has grown up. We're al stupid as kids finding our ways, most grow up, very few are flawless.

The speculation and rumors have been out there for years. The Carters have never refuted them. This writer apparently interview Duron Carter and his parents, and then published the drug test failures as if they were fact. Still no rebuttal from him or anyone who knows him, at least that I've seen (and I looked a little bit).

There are a lot of people saying there is no downside to this guy if we sign him. If he does good, great. If he does bad, cut him and move on. The problem is that we could sign him and Grigson may think highly enough of him that he could pass up a WR that might fall in the NFL Draft and instead reach on a different position of need. This is worst case scenario where the fallen WR (a kevin white or devante parker possibly) goes on to become the next reggie wayne, and we get a 1st round bust along with duron carter who gets cut because he isn't good enough or has attitude problems, etc... If we go with Duron Carter, I still hope we at least draft a WR at bare minimum, and I wouldn't be opposed to taking one as high as the first three rounds. Hopefully Grigson's opinion isn't extremely high of Carter, it could have a domino effect that burns us.

It's a huge stretch to think that Grigson would decline to draft a receiver simply because of Duron Carter. Receiver looked like the deepest position on the team last year, and Grigson still drafted Moncrief. If Grigson has shown anything, it's that he will stick to his board rather than reaching for perceived need.

You make it sound like it would be the end of the world if Carter doesn't work out for us. Our receiving corps is far more than capable then people give it credit for. Spending one of our top 3 draft picks would be a horrible idea. There's many more pressing needs.

Don't get me wrong, I do want a big name opposite of ty but thats just the greed in me.

The thing is the good proven receivers are going to cost a lot more than Carter.

IMO, the thing is that one has nothing to do with the other. Grab Carter if you want, and snag a guy in free agency, and heck, draft a guy, too. All three of those angles are viable, and are not mutually exclusive. Just because we do one doesn't mean we can't/won't do one or both of the others.

IMO, the thing is that one has nothing to do with the other. Grab Carter if you want, and snag a guy in free agency, and heck, draft a guy, too. All three of those angles are viable, and are not mutually exclusive. Just because we do one doesn't mean we can't/won't do one or both of the others.

Very true.

I think Grigs will handle it in the same way as Darick Rogers.  With all the hype at the time, Grigson did not let that stop him from drafting Donte Moncrief.   With all of Carters hype, plus the behavioral and other issues I don't think Grigs would miss out on a top WR talent if available as BPA in the draft.  Or for that matter in FA either.

I think Grigs will handle it in the same way as Darick Rogers.  With all the hype at the time, Grigson did not let that stop him from drafting Donte Moncrief.   With all of Carters hype, plus the behavioral and other issues I don't think Grigs would miss out on a top WR talent if available as BPA in the draft.  Or for that matter in FA either.

Agreed

The speculation and rumors have been out there for years. The Carters have never refuted them. This writer apparently interview Duron Carter and his parents, and then published the drug test failures as if they were fact. Still no rebuttal from him or anyone who knows him, at least that I've seen (and I looked a little bit).

Yes I have also seen the articles that had insinuated he had failed drug tests but I've never seen one that was definative. Maybe he did or he didn't and they carter's just didn't want to get into arguing the point. Idk. I'm not arguing one way or another that he passed or failed a test and if we sign him, great I'm not gonna throw a tantrum if we decide against it either.

To the other posters saying to sign him, draft another and sign a big name guy all at once. How many Wr's do you want on a team at once? At some point, a team has to decide which route. Take a chance on this guy with potential from Canada, take a prospect from the college ranks or go big in FA. It's not wise to try all 3 because you can't keep 7 receivers and if you go big and the CFL guy out plays the big name guy, who gets cut? It won't be the guy you just paid large SB money to.

Yes I have also seen the articles that had insinuated he had failed drug tests but I've never seen one that was definative. Maybe he did or he didn't and they carter's just didn't want to get into arguing the point. Idk. I'm not arguing one way or another that he passed or failed a test and if we sign him, great I'm not gonna throw a tantrum if we decide against it either.

To the other posters saying to sign him, draft another and sign a big name guy all at once. How many Wr's do you want on a team at once? At some point, a team has to decide which route. Take a chance on this guy with potential from Canada, take a prospect from the college ranks or go big in FA. It's not wise to try all 3 because you can't keep 7 receivers and if you go big and the CFL guy out plays the big name guy, who gets cut? It won't be the guy you just paid large SB money to.

We have two receivers under contract. If we sign Carter and another free agent, and draft a guy, that's a stable of five receivers, which is typical.

Alternatively, we fail to match his contract of  something like 200k guaranteed because Grigson isn't very high on him and instead Grigson blows a first round pick and millions in guarantees on the next Heyward-Bey.  All the while the word out of the CFL that Carter has matured proves true and he turns into the Cameron Wake of wide receivers and becomes a legitimate #1 WR with size and speed and we missed out on him all because Grigson was to enamored with drafting someone.

The fact is Grigson and the scouting department will grade him like any other WR and base picking him or any other player on need and perceived value. Cost vs return.

We have two receivers under contract. If we sign Carter and another free agent, and draft a guy, that's a stable of five receivers, which is typical.

Very good point. I guess my mind gets cluttered from having Wayne and Nicks here at this very moment. Ok, lets do your plan :D

It's a huge stretch to think that Grigson would decline to draft a receiver simply because of Duron Carter. Receiver looked like the deepest position on the team last year, and Grigson still drafted Moncrief. If Grigson has shown anything, it's that he will stick to his board rather than reaching for perceived need.

Well, hopefully he has NT, ILB and S on his board instead of "Perceiving them as needs". 

If we can get Carter cheap by all means go for it,,,,,,,,,,,He is physical and is big 6'4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We need physical receivers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,But the main priority is an Oline that is tough mauling physical,,,,,,,,,and savage,,,,,,,,,We need to take what the Pats have done and build like they do,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know the pats have way better coaches than us,,,,,,,,,,,,,And they take what they have for players who don t seem to be the prototypical great players but they make star plays and re therefore stars