Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agent for Duron Carter talking with Colts

PeterBowman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the agent is just setting up a bidding war trying to get the most $$$.

The Colts are definitely in need of a WR or two...Reggie should definitely hang 'em up...Nicks should definitely be cut.

Most guaranteed money is most likely what he's looking for.  Another post on rotoworld indicated that he's looking for a $100,000 signing bonus. . . that is a lot for a UDFA coming out of the CFL.

The Colts are definitely in need of a WR or two...Reggie should definitely hang 'em up...Nicks should definitely be cut.

I will give you the fact that RW should probably retire but the OC has to draw up better plays that open up receiver's. You can't tell me that the Pats have such elite wr's that they are able to get 5-10 yards of separation play after play? TY and Moncrief should have been able to catch more balls than they did but every play was hotly contested when they tried to throw. Luck missed a few plays to his guys but they just don't seem to try and scheme for getting receivers open, we try and out talent them. The NFL is full of guys close in talent, its the coaches who plan better and put the guys in better positions to succeed. Nothing points this out more than this past game. Pep wouldn't be a pimple on BB booty in devising plays for specific games played. Pep does just enough to say wow, look at this play or look at that one, this coach has vision. Then he goes on a trek of just bland regular plays and say, your the athlete, out athlete the defender. Need better than this.  

I hope my Vikes do not sign Carter. We have more pressing needs at other positions.

You are worried about them signing a player for min salary?  Again he may want a large signing bonus. . . doesn't mean he's gonna get it but he's not going to get a big contract.  He's a UDFA out of the CFL.  He has to prove himself in the NFL first.  

I,m thinking carter would be a good, needed sign for the Colts. Our wideouts are suddenly bleak. Reggis needs to retire, Nicks is done and moncrief still learning to run routes. If carter isn't available the Colts need to sign a wr in free agency and not waste draft picks on one. Cobb would be great in GB let him go as he can run routes and make dynamic plays after the catch

You are worried about them signing a player for min salary? Again he may want a large signing bonus. . . doesn't mean he's gonna get it but he's not going to get a big contract. He's a UDFA out of the CFL. He has to prove himself in the NFL first.

Of course I am not worried. I like the way we are building our team by not signing too many free agents from outside the organization. If we are to sign one, I want an O-lineman. Also, I am concerned that his father (who is one of my favorite Vikes) would meddle and undermine the coaching staff.

You seem to know a lot about the Iowa football team. I would not mind drafting Brandon Scherff.

I will give you the fact that RW should probably retire but the OC has to draw up better plays that open up receiver's. You can't tell me that the Pats have such elite wr's that they are able to get 5-10 yards of separation play after play? TY and Moncrief should have been able to catch more balls than they did but every play was hotly contested when they tried to throw. Luck missed a few plays to his guys but they just don't seem to try and scheme for getting receivers open, we try and out talent them. The NFL is full of guys close in talent, its the coaches who plan better and put the guys in better positions to succeed. Nothing points this out more than this past game. Pep wouldn't be a pimple on BB booty in devising plays for specific games played. Pep does just enough to say wow, look at this play or look at that one, this coach has vision. Then he goes on a trek of just bland regular plays and say, your the athlete, out athlete the defender. Need better than this.  

Peps routes are for what Andrew wants. Andrew wants/needs open receivers running 20+ yards downfield. lol

WR is a huge need for this team. With TY being double, nobody else could get separation. 

I agree. Is this guy it, though? We need a big, tall, physical WR that will fight for the ball. Our WR's aren't very physical at fighting for the ball. I wish we could have picked up Kelvin Benjamin.

That's not something that can even nearly garunteed.

Yeah, I think this guy may be a headcase. I was a fan of Da'Rick Rodgers potential but this guy kinda reminds me of him. I wouldn't want to pay an unknown all of that cash just because of the hype behind him and him to do something bad off the field and get the boot.

For the record ... Nicks is a free agent and will sign with the team that offers the best deal.

If we get Duron Carter, great. If not, who cares? How many good receivers do the Pats have? Edellman? The Pats make it to the Super Bowl whenever they have a good defense because they have BB and Brady.

Our defense should be priority #1. We already have the #3 offense in the league. Let's get an actual defense to pair with our offense. We have Luck. We will be fine on offense. Let's get a defense. Unless Duron Carter can rush the passer or play MLB, I don't see him having more of an impact than Nicks.

what emergence?

Dude caught a big TD in the Bengals game.  Had some big receptions in the Denver game, too.

He is still extremely young/green.  Every scout/GM in the league is high on Moncrief and impressed by his progression this year.

He was only targeted once yesterday.  T.Y. is a known commodity and he only had 1 reception yesterday.  Hard to perform when your offense barely sees the field in the AFC title game.

Dude caught a big TD in the Bengals game. Had some big receptions in the Denver game, too.

He is still extremely young/green. Every scout/GM in the league is high on Moncrief and impressed by his progression this year.

He was only targeted once yesterday. T.Y. is a known commodity and he only had 1 reception yesterday. Hard to perform when your offense barely sees the field in the AFC title game.

a few big catches doesn't equal an emergence. The kid is very good, but to say he is the clear cut #2 is very premature

a few big catches doesn't equal an emergence. The kid is very good, but to say he is the clear cut #2 is very premature

I'm not arguing that he is a solid #2 yet.  I'm simply arguing that he has emerged as a starting WR in this league.  He was one of the best-performing rookie WRs this year. 

He played in all 16 games and put up these numbers:

Rec  Yds  Y/G  Avg  100+  TD

32   444  27.8  13.9    2      3  

No, those aren't Mike Evans/Kelvin Benjamin numbers, but those 2 guys were targeted far more.  They also played a lot more snaps.

As far as our roster is concerned, I don't see us having a clear #2.  However, Fleener and Allen do a nice job masking that deficiency.  We were the only team in NFL history to have 2 TEs with 8+ TD receptions this season. 

If we get Duron Carter, great. If not, who cares? How many good receivers do the Pats have? Edellman? The Pats make it to the Super Bowl whenever they have a good defense because they have BB and Brady.

Our defense should be priority #1. We already have the #3 offense in the league. Let's get an actual defense to pair with our offense. We have Luck. We will be fine on offense. Let's get a defense. Unless Duron Carter can rush the passer or play MLB, I don't see him having more of an impact than Nicks.

Defense should be looked at for certain but signing a kid to a relatively cheap 3 yr contract with his body of work (however successful will be up to the scouts) in Canada and a $100,000 SB will hardly impact the teams ability to sign any defensive player or draft any defensive player in this years draft. It also will have little, if any, impact on the coming salary cap implications if he comes in and doesn't pan out. People like Landry affect our cap and affects our ability to go sign a big FA defensive guy. Trading for any RB for a first round pick is almost the dumbest thing a team can do anymore and watching Blount blow this team up proves you can get more out of a FA pick up at that spot.  

I am all for signing Carter and seeing if he can turn into our #2 guy or push Moncreif into that #2 spot. win/win. If he can run routes, catch balls and behave outside the confines of the field, I am all for it. If he fails at any one of those things, you really have to question bringing him in. I have not heard those 3 things being a problem for him. He didn't like school, neither did/do I but my employer accepted me anyways some 19 years ago and we are still a partner. Some things can work out, this deal for Carter isn't going to dent our Colts future decisions if he fails miserably here.