Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Defense

SubZero

1. Lacey was atrocious: I see some people like how lacey is but he is bad. He was giving up 5-8 yard cushion on the WRs. Also he gave up a total of 125 yards passing to Flacco. As a corner he just wasnt cutting it. On the positive he as good form tackling but when your a corner you should need to be racking up 7+ tackles a game.

2. Rucker was solid: Before i get people getting at me for this, Rucker played solid not like a shut down corner or like a complete ball hawk but he was decent. He could run with the WR, transitioned very well, and was fast. He only gave up 43 reciving yards. He dis play well in man coverage to.

3. Our Linebackers cant cover: If you watched the game how could you not see Sims and company get just worked over. Pitta, Dickson, and Boldin had a fun time catching passes wide open in the middle.

4. We need a playmaker: Bethea is a great saftey while Powers is good to. But we are in need of a great CB or SS who can make plays. Who are ballhawks and can force fumbles. We need one who can turn the momentum of a game.

3. Our Linebackers cant cover: If you watched the game how could you not see Sims and company get just worked over. Pitta, Dickson, and Boldin had a fun time catching passes wide open in the middle.

Our linebackers aren't asked to cover. They're playing zone all game long, and then they're supposed to close as the ball is thrown. The problem is a rigid and predictable gameplan that allows quarterbacks to complete easy throws to underneath receivers.

I don't know how well our linebackers do or don't cover at this point. I think our entire defense is being undermined by our gameplan. Joe Flacco was 21/26 at one point in Sunday's game. That's 81%. Flacco completes 56% of his throws this season, and that's after Sunday's game. I posted last week on our defensive numbers this year, and Sunday's game was right in line. We make mediocre quarterbacks look like Pro Bowlers, and we make Pro Bowlers look like gods. Whatever the philosophy is behind this defensive scheme, it's not working.

1. Lacey was atrocious: I see some people like how lacey is but he is bad. He was giving up 5-8 yard cushion on the WRs. Also he gave up a total of 125 yards passing to Flacco. As a corner he just wasnt cutting it. On the positive he as good form tackling but when your a corner you should need to be racking up 7+ tackles a game.

2. Rucker was solid: Before i get people getting at me for this, Rucker played solid not like a shut down corner or like a complete ball hawk but he was decent. He could run with the WR, transitioned very well, and was fast. He only gave up 43 reciving yards. He dis play well in man coverage to.

4. We need a playmaker: Bethea is a great saftey while Powers is good to. But we are in need of a great CB or SS who can make plays. Who are ballhawks and can force fumbles. We need one who can turn the momentum of a game.

That interception Bethea dropped could have turned 10-0 into 7-7

We need to draft LSU's secondary .all of it..

It's true our linebackers can't cover (Bracket excepted). The solution to our pass defense problem is two fold:

1. Throw our the scheme and install a scheme that utilizes at least 40% man.

2. Throw out all of our secondary players (Bethea and Powers excepted) and draft/sign players that are bigger and can cover in man.

If you don't do both 1 and 2 then you also have to address the linebacking group as well and their inadequacy in covering.

There is a reason why we have so few interceptions.

It's true our linebackers can't cover (Bracket excepted). The solution to our pass defense problem is two fold:

1. Throw our the scheme and install a scheme that utilizes at least 40% man.

2. Throw out all of our secondary players (Bethea and Powers excepted) and draft/sign players that are bigger and can cover in man.

If you don't do both 1 and 2 then you also have to address the linebacking group as well and their inadequacy in covering.

There is a reason why we have so few interceptions.

It amazing how much better a secondary gets when the QB is pressured. The one time the DT's got a push up the middle on Sunday, Flacco threw the interception.

On almost every pass play, the QB has a nice comfortable pocket to step up into because the DT's get easily neutralized. Since the Colts' DT's are so sub-par, the Colts stunt them more often than the average team...unfortunately, the stunting usually opens up a larger pocket

It amazing how much better a secondary gets when the QB is pressured. The one time the DT's got a push up the middle on Sunday, Flacco threw the interception.

On almost every pass play, the QB has a nice comfortable pocket to step up into because the DT's get easily neutralized. Since the Colts' DT's are so sub-par, the Colts stunt them more often than the average team...unfortunately, the stunting usually opens up a larger pocket

Seems like the NFL evolves so fast......

What ever you do...people catch up to it..

...You look at games like NYG-Dallas each week and I dont know if its possible to play Cover - 2 anymore.

You have to risk giving up big plays to make big plays of your own...

Even the Jets and Eagles cant cover peole very long with their secondaries...which are much better than ours

It is next to impossible to get sacks when every team we plays just has the QB take a three step drop and complete a 10 slant or a 10 yard out. My son is a jv qb and just sits and laughs at the cushion we give and says he has never even seen a jv that runs D like that. Flat out a joke of a scheme.

It is next to impossible to get sacks when every team we plays just has the QB take a three step drop and complete a 10 slant or a 10 yard out. My son is a jv qb and just sits and laughs at the cushion we give and says he has never even seen a jv that runs D like that. Flat out a joke of a scheme.

I just don't get how people fail to see this.

It is not because of a lack of pressure, it is because of a lack of defending the receiver. These quarterbacks and receivers are playing catch against this scheme. I don't even believe it's the players' lack of ability, it's our coaches lack of a brain.

I just don't get how people fail to see this.

It is not because of a lack of pressure, it is because of a lack of defending the receiver. These quarterbacks and receivers are playing catch against this scheme. I don't even believe it's the players' lack of ability, it's our coaches lack of a brain.

How can you get pressure if the quarterback has an open receiver right after the snap? Just slow his delivery down, even half a second, and you'll improve the defense significantly.

That interception Bethea dropped could have turned 10-0 into 7-7 We need to draft LSU's secondary .all of it..
Colts spending an early pick on a top defenseive back who can cause turnovers and play man coverage? Why on Earth would they do that? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Morris Clayborne,Tyran Mathieu, or Eric Reid back there for us, but as long a Polian and company are in town I am very scepticle that will ever happen. Polian disregards these type of players completely, and instead goes for robot zone coverage dbs in the later rounds of the draft.

PERFECT EXAMPLE: After our great SB win in 06/07, BOTH of our starting corners opted for free agency - Harper to the Titans and Davis to the Saints. On every draft board I saw leading up to the draft, it had corner as our number 1 need. By some stroke of luck an EXTREMELY talented young corner out of Arkansas by name of Chris Houston, who was projected to be an early-to-mid first round pick is still on the board 20 picks deep. Aside from Revis, who went early to the Jets, this guy is guy is hands down the best cover guy in college ball. I'm thinking to myself; "there's no way the football Gods can be as so kind as to grace us with one of the nations best cover corners with the 32nd pick, its just too good to be true. Not only was the kid lights out all year for Arkansas, but his stock was only boosted by his AMAZING performance at the NFL combine right in our own stadium - he had a 40 inch vertical jump, showed amazing ball skills, and he ran a blistering 40 time of 4.32 seconds - the fastest db in the entire draft!!!! So I'm watching the NFL network, its the 20th pick or so and they have their little ticker in the corner of the screen listing the top overall players left available as the draft continues - from ALL positions, and who do I see? Right there at the very top of the list? Chris Houston - DB out of Arkansas, right there in bold letters, just waiting to be snatched.

The picks roll off; 22nd, 23rd, 24th etc etc. Every pick it felt as if I dodged a bullet as it seemed, by some strange fluke, NO ONE had a need for a defensive back yet. My eyes were wide open, my tongue was salivating. 25th, 26th, 27th - everyone's drafting WRs and Offensive Linesmen. At this point I'm standing up like it were the fourth quarter of a vintage AFC title game! 49ers take Staley with the 28th, YES! Ravens take Grubbs with the 29th, YES! YES! YES! Big number 30 comes around to the Chargers and they take Buster Davis (LOL)! My God I'm thinking. This can't be true! Chris Houston's name has been at the top of the list in the corner of screen now for about 15 picks and and I'm pretty much foaming at the mouth at this point! Bears take Olsen at 31 and I start jumping around the room in celebration now like its the Super Bowl all over again! Pick 32, we're up. I listen to Michael Mayock(sp?) on the NFL network addressing the Colts number one need as he does every team on draft day (that guy is great btw). Colts number one DESPERATE need? Corner. Best player left on the board from any position? Chris Houston, CORNER. He could have been the first corner drafted, but somehow fell to third behind Giants' pick Aaron Ross, and was by some fluke, still there at pick 32 when he was projected as a top 15 pick! Harper and David both left town, and this is the young, fast, athletic, playmaking cover corner I've always wanted as a Colts fan! This pick is open and shut now. There was no way we could NOT draft this guy. I'm exciting as ever, heart pounding with energy, bracing myself for the official announcement and what do I hear. ANTHONY GONZALEZ!!!! ANTHONY GOLZALAZ!!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

My heart sank. WR wasn't even in our top 5 needs for the team at the time; our offense was prolific as ever, but our defense had been downright horrible for much of the season (I know they played great in the playoffs during our SB run, but you'd be foolish to think otherwise). Yet, a projected 3rd to 4th round slot receiver was more important to Mr. Polian than replacing our 1 and 2 cornerbacks. We didn't even draft a replacement for Harper or David that year until the 3rd or 4th rounf with Damien Hughs. Absoloutely sickening. That right there should show you how much cincern Mr. Polian has for secondary play. He would throw you or me out there if he had to and just tell us to to stay deep and not let anyone run by us. This post in NOT a knock on Gonzalez either. He did his job and filled in nicely for Marvin when he was injured, but let's be honest here - He was a complete waste of a first round pick. Collie was drafted in the fourth round of his draft and took Gonzalez spot, and done so without getting injured every two games. He probably won't even be playing in te NFL next season.

As for Chris Houston? He now plays for the Lions, and is one of the premier cover corners in footbal and having a pro bowl season. Despite only playing 11 games this year he has 48 solo tackles, 4 INTs, including a 100-yard return TD for against the Broncos. I remember watching him run the whole 100 yards in about 5 seconds thinking to myself : "20/20 hindsight hasn't helped me feel any better about this at all" :(