Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now you are comparing this to the military? You are really on a roll today ...

Do you know what a principle is?  Do you have any that are true for you no matter what?  If not, that explains a lot about your posts today.

Principles are the same no matter the circumstances.

A lie is a lie in the military, in school, in business and in sports.  Cheating is cheating where ever it occurs.

Do you know what a principle is?  Do you have any that are true for you no matter what?  If not, that explains a lot about your posts today.

A lie is a lie in the military, in school, in business and in sports.  Cheating is cheating where ever it occurs.

A fundamental truth. Which am said she doesn't believe in.

Military, dying correlates to the NFL somehow in your mind? ok.

Nothing will happen to the players, you can't just target Brady or Stork/Wendell. That's why it is most likely going to be just BB that gets suspended for the game.

Suspending the coach will have little affect on the team at this point ...

IMO this should be just like olympics - if a team cheats the medal/win is removed from the cheater! If its a tournament replacement teams are named.

What does this teach kids? Cheating is ok as long as you dont get caught or as long as its not something really major? Cheating is cheating! They knew the rules and chose to intentionally break them, IMO the only just penalty should be the win is stripped from them!

Sadly the eventual penalty will not be just - the thing will be swept under the NFL rug like all of their other issues and by next season it will be forgotten and the pats will be back to trying to bend rules / cheat to get an advantage.

So now you are comparing this to the military? You are really on a roll today ...

You compared it to stealing from you mother, & ban heist...

you've also proved a lack of knowledge of "your" teams "dignified" history among other ridiculous statements,

and completely legitimized the stereotype of the pats* fan...

You are on an even greater roll...

Suspending the coach will have little affect on the team at this point ...

IMO this should be just like olympics - if a team cheats the medal/win is removed from the cheater! If its a tournament replacement teams are named.

What does this teach kids? Cheating is ok as long as you dont get caught or as long as its not something really major? Cheating is cheating! They knew the rules and chose to intentionally break them, IMO the only just penalty should be the win is stripped from them!

I believe he should be removed from the game and all of next season but even if that happens the Pats will somehow convince themselves of an "Us vs them" and they "overcame" this. you really want to hurt the team you take away the picks, that's the lifeblood of the teams

I think it's pretty clear that he is directly saying that YES it did give the team a huge advantage yet doesn't tarnish the feelings of the championship (see my previous response for more detail there)

False. It's the reason that I don't believe that a huge advantage was gained that I don't have tarnished feelings about this team's accomplishments.

The fact that the Colts went to the NFL about this in November as well is pretty huge. Both times off of interceptions. Who's to say that the Patriots don't do this every game and for how long?

Seriously, Goodell needs to come down hard. Not just money and draft picks. Same thing that happened to the Saints.

Hey I dig it. Not sure if anyone here is a GEORGE STRAIT fan or has seen the movie "Pure Country"....but old man Ernest tells him..."Funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken * ..... for that little white speck is chicken * too".

Pretty sure that quote is taken from a Kurt Vonnegut novel, cause I've read that before, & I haven't seen "Pure Country"...

Kurt may have even been quoting Mark Twain...

either way great quote...

& props to Kurt one of Indy's best!!!

I believe he should be removed from the game and all of next season but even if that happens the Pats will somehow convince themselves of an "Us vs them" and they "overcame" this. you really want to hurt the team you take away the picks, that's the lifeblood of the teams

Taking picks doesnt hurt the Pats - look how their teams have been manufactured ...

Also what happens to any drafts or signees they do get next year? Innocent players coming into a team penalty created the previous year? Thats why I say this team this year needs to get the penalty and it needs to be just! People can argue it didn't play a big role in the outcome of the game last weekend but we really dont know the true affect it had and we never will. What we do know though is they were willing to cheat to gain that unknown advantage - that is deserving of disqualification!

Military, dying correlates to the NFL somehow in your mind? ok.

Principle - noun

an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct:
a person of good moral principles.
a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived:
the principles of modern physics.
a fundamental doctrine or tenet; a distinctive ruling opinion:
the principles of the Stoics.
principles, a personal or specific basis of conduct or management:
to adhere to one's principles; a kindergarten run on modernprinciples.
guiding sense of the requirements and obligations of right conduct:
a person of principle.
an adopted rule or method for application in action:
a working principle for general use.
a rule or law exemplified in natural phenomena, the construction or operation of a machine, the working of a system, or the like:
the principle of capillary attraction.

It's fairly obvious you aren't acquainted with the word or concept of "principles" so I thought I would pass it's definition along. It's also fairly obvious that you are very much unacquainted with the principles of logic and logical argument.  Therefore this is my last response to your posts on this.

Which of course means you will post some inane response because you are incapable of not having the last word, so I'll leave it at that  ;)

Principle - noun

an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct:
a person of good moral principles.
a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others arederived:
the principles of modern physics.
a fundamental doctrine or tenet; a distinctive ruling opinion:
the principles of the Stoics.
principles, a personal or specific basis of conduct or management:
to adhere to one's principles; a kindergarten run on modernprinciples.
guiding sense of the requirements and obligations of right conduct:
a person of principle.
an adopted rule or method for application in action:
a working principle for general use.
a rule or law exemplified in natural phenomena, the construction oroperation of a machine, the working of a system, or the like:
the principle of capillary attraction.

It's fairly obvious you aren't acquainted with the word or concept of "principles" so I thought I would pass it's definition along. It's also fairly obvious that you are very much unacquainted with the principles of logic and logical argument.  Therefore this is my last response to your posts on this.

Which of course means you will post some inane response because you are incapable of not having the last word, so I'll leave it at that  ;)

I didn't read any of this. But I must say for a Chargers fan you sure seem more upset than most Colts fans here who actually have a reason to feel cheated as they actually made the post-season ...

The fact that the Colts went to the NFL about this in November as well is pretty huge. Both times off of interceptions. Who's to say that the Patriots don't do this every game and for how long?

Seriously, Goodell needs to come down hard. Not just money and draft picks. Same thing that happened to the Saints.

I keep hearing this but haven't seen the link or source for it.

Ridiculous comparison. I won't even go into aguring how ridiculous as it would be a waste of time.

It's amazing the intellect we are dealing with here. I totally believe I could put my 7 year old grandson on vs these people and he would destroy them.

If this were the Red Sox getting caught corking bats , they would say it was no worse than a player bunting and running in the 1st baseline to impede the catcher's throw.

I didn't read any of this. But I must say for a Chargers fan you sure seem more upset than most Colts fans here who actually have a reason to feel cheated as they actually made the post-season ...

You should have quit this morning after your post stating how disappointed and angry you were that the Pats did this.

People, myself included, actually fell for that post, thinking you were sincere, and had admitted to facing the reality.  And now 45 pages of ongoing nonsense.

It's amazing the intellect we are dealing with here. I totally believe I could put my 7 year old grandson on vs these people and he would destroy them.

If this were the Red Sox getting caught corking bats , they would say it was no worse than a player bunting and running in the 1st baseline to impede the catcher's throw.

Hello my friend,

Question for you - if this offense is so egregious why is the fine only $25,000 in the game op manual? Seems like it should be more. BTW, the ball pressure is only included in this manual and not the rule book which I also find interesting.

Hello my friend,

Question for you - if this offense is so egregious why is the fine only $25,000 in the game op manual? Seems like it should be more. BTW, the ball pressure is only included in this manual and not the rule book which I also find interesting.

Hello my "friend"

Question for you - if this offense is so egregious, why do it?

Because integrity and playing by the rules put in place is important to most people

Hello my friend,

The fine is NOT LIMITED to $25,000.

I keep hearing this but haven't seen the link or source for it.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2015/01/21/patriots-footballs-under-inflated

From the link

ESPN is also reporting that the Colts raised concerns to the NFL after their 42-20 loss in November to the Patriots about under-inflated footballs. There were reportedly concerns about the footballs after Colts safety Mike Adams gave the team’s equipment manager balls to save following his two-interception game against Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Hello my friend,

First of all my post was directed at the Pat fans that claim this is no different than anything else "illegal " in the game of football. Like holding , tripping... etc. I was pointing out that cheating by illegally altering the equipment was far different and they are pretty ignorant for actually writing that premise. I think the corked bat compared to things that baseball teams try to get away with in the coarse of a game (cheating by coming off the bag early is another example) was legitimate.

As for the question .. a bit of it is in what I just wrote. When you (IMO) illegally alter things you play the sport with .. a bat , maybe a  17 LB bowling ball , how about a pitcher bringing a ball that's a little smaller into a game.. who knows how much it can alter the game ? Suppose Brady is better with a deflated ball and it was the Baltimore game that this happened in ? BTW... who's to say it didn't . Couldn't one better throw or one "easier catch" have changed the outcome of that game ? I hate to say this as it's going to really shed bad light on your team , but nobody is picking up on this yet. It will eventually come to their tiny little minds . As we speak , Gruden went on record that this is no big deal because the score was 45-7. He's being totally ignorant and the correct perspective on this will be out soon. As for the 25K thing .. it means nothing. Just a minimum fine.

I have to believe he did too. He handled those each and every snap. He and the Center. There's no way they didn't know.

And then for Brady to laugh about it when asked, and be so dang arrogant, and trying to make a mockery out of the Colts, is just plain pathetic.

At least you didn't get " read the rule book " from Brady directed at the Ravens, and their fans. Maybe both he and his coach should read the rule book about not videotaping defenses, and using under inflated footballs. Brady is very talented, but that is the part of him a lot of NFL fans don't like.

First of all my post was directed at the Pat fans that claim this is no different than anything else "illegal " in the game of football. Like holding , tripping... etc. I was pointing out that cheating by illegally altering the equipment was far different and they are pretty ignorant for actually writing that premise. I think the corked bat compared to things that baseball teams try to get away with in the coarse of a game (cheating by coming off the bag early is another example) was legitimate.

As for the question .. a bit of it is in what I just wrote. When you (IMO) illegally alter things you play the sport with .. a bat , maybe a  17 LB bowling ball , how about a pitcher bringing a ball that's a little smaller into a game.. who knows how much it can alter the game ? Suppose Brady is better with a deflated ball and it was the Baltimore game that this happened in ? BTW... who's to say it didn't . Couldn't one better throw or one "easier catch" have changed the outcome of that game ? I hate to say this as it's going to really shed bad light on your team , but nobody is picking up on this yet. It will eventually come to their tiny little minds . As we speak , Gruden went on record that this is no big deal because the score was 45-7. He's being totally ignorant and the correct perspective on this will be out soon. As for the 25K thing .. it means nothing. Just a minimum fine.

I agree that altering equipment can be a big advantage. I believe in baseball if a pitcher is found doctoring a ball he is thrown out.

Now this is the part I don't get with the NFL and the footballs. The teams are allowed to bring their own balls and the QBs are allowed to do whatever they want to do them - scuff them up, rub them, etc. I am assuming they are allowed to do this because the ball is for the offense only vs baseball where the throwing of the ball is to get the other team out. So my question here is why have an air range at all? Why can't Brady have the balls as flat as he wants and why can't Rodgers have then as fat as he wants? And again, why is the penalty for breaking the range limit a measly $25,000? And IF the Colts did say something to the league back in Nov about the Pats deflated balls then why weren't the Pats balls inspected in every game after that? There is much here that is honestly head scratching.

I don't know Girlzarefanstoo, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that, in addition to being a Chargers fan, she's probably a fan of NFL football and cares about the integrity of the game.

I'd post the definition of integrity, but you wouldn't read it, and judging from your posts, the concept would be lost on you anyway.

As for the question .. a bit of it is in what I just wrote. When you (IMO) illegally alter things you play the sport with .. a bat , maybe a 17 LB bowling ball , how about a pitcher bringing a ball that's a little smaller into a game.. who knows how much it can alter the game ? Suppose Brady is better with a deflated ball and it was the Baltimore game that this happened in ? BTW... who's to say it didn't . Couldn't one better throw or one "easier catch" have changed the outcome of that game ? I hate to say this as it's going to really shed bad light on your team , but nobody is picking up on this yet. It will eventually come to their tiny little minds . As we speak , Gruden went on record that this is no big deal because the score was 45-7. He's being totally ignorant and the correct perspective on this will be out soon. As for the 25K thing .. it means nothing. Just a minimum fine.

That's the problem with this whole thing. If true, how long was it going on? Did it start after the Chiefs slaughtered them, the first Colts game, the Ravens game ? This kind of thing, if true, undermines the whole integrity of the game.

I've still not read a report which verifies the balls were inflated appropriately at half.  There's been conjecture that the balls were tested at halftime and brought up to the right specs, but I've not verified that anywhere - have you?

I agree with you though.  The Patriots have talent, and even when that talent goes away, BB is a genius at getting the best out of his players.  He really is a great coach.  

I still go back to why do this?  Why do Spygate?  And then I think about, what the hell else are they doing which they aren't telling anyone about?  

Former Ref Gerry Austin talks on Mike and Mike how Dr. Walt Anderson was to have handled each teams footballs before the game and at halftime.  He will check each and inflate, or deflate the balls to spec even before the game.  He says at halftime, they would re-check, and go through same procedure (inflate back to 13 psi) all of the under inflated footballs.  Whole interview is here-

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12204030

The home team provides the air pump/gauge before the game.  So whilr it is not fact, it is procedure and he would be VERY surprised if they did not re-inflate them for use before the second half.

I agree that altering equipment can be a big advantage. I believe in baseball if a pitcher is found doctoring a ball he is thrown out.

Now this is the part I don't get with the NFL and the footballs. The teams are allowed to bring their own balls and the QBs are allowed to do whatever they want to do them - scuff them up, rub them, etc. I am assuming they are allowed to do this because the ball is for the offense only vs baseball where the throwing of the ball is to get the other team out. So my question here is why have an air range at all? Why can't Brady have the balls as flat as he wants and why can't Rodgers have then as fat as he wants? And again, why is the penalty for breaking the range limit a measly $25,000? And IF the Colts did say something to the league back in Nov about the Pats deflated balls then why weren't the Pats balls inspected in every game after that? There is much here that is honestly head scratching.

I think if you change the dynamics of a ball , which is this case I guess the issues would be size and softness , it could really get out of hand ? You might come up with something you can throw with a tighter spiral an extra 10 yards ? The Brad Johnson thing refers to the slickness of a ball. Sometimes they are just put into the games without them being "rubbed up" a bit to take the slipperiness element out of the game. Just like the baseballs are always "rubbed up" before they are used. That would be my opinion of it...