Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chuck The New Caldwell?

JColts72

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to hear some suggestions as to who we could replace Pagano with. The Broncos just hired Gary Kubiak, the Raiders signed Del Rio, and the Bears took John Fox. Those were the 3 BEST candidates, with actual head coaching experience, that were available after last week's games concluded. All of them had been fired in the past as well, because they "weren't good enough." Are the Panthers better since they fired Fox? Are the Jaguars better since they fired Del Rio? How about the Texans letting Kubiak go, did that work out?

The fact of the matter is there just aren't ANY great coaches out there. Besides Belichick, I don't even think there are any truly "great" coaches in the league anymore. Pete Carroll's certainly come into his own, and even he was 7-9 his first 2 seasons, and the Seahawks organization and fanbase were patient. Now they're perennial Super Bowl contenders, and they have a ridiculous roster to work with. 

After that you got Harbaugh and Sean Payton, MAYBE Mike McCarthy, then it's pretty much just a mush of mediocre ex-coordinators.

I know that after a tough blowout loss like last night, everybody wants heads to roll, but the likelihood of that happening seems pretty low. And if it did happen, it most likely wouldn't be a change for the better.

That torn quad of Peyton's really helped. Cause those 2 bonehead picks Andrew threw should've easily been 14 points. Sanders beat Toler once or twice that night too that a healthy Peyton would've took advantage of

Not taking away from the overall solid game that was played by the colts, but seriously would've been a different game with a healthy Peyton

Maybe 1 of those picks "should" have been points.

Both of Andrew's INTs were longer than Pat's punting average that night.  And both picks came on 3rd and long.

You have to realize that just "making adjustments" wont win you games. When you are outmatched, out gunned and out efforted at nearly every position what in the world are you supposed to do? put 13 guys on the field? What's wrong with trusting the best kicker in the NFL from 51 yards? The hail mary was questionable but really. who cares. It's a hail mary. 

Being out gunned and getting destroyed means the hail mary would have been the correct call in that situation ( and adjustments have won many games ), you need to pull out all stops to win in a game like that.  As far as the field goal that was another ridiculous decision there was no way AV ( he is not the best kicker in the league )was making that we should have punted and tried to pin them as far back as we could. But I digress we got destroyed again by the same team i just want to get to the draft where I hope we make some good picks that will help us progress. 

As I said in a different post we need to give Pagano another year but if we get the same result then we need to question whether we go in a different direction at HC or not.

If the Colts regress in the next 2 years, then it's time to go exploring. Even though Caldwell went to the Super Bowl, he was canned of course after that 2 and 14 wreckage. At that time, there was no other hot coaches other then Chuck? The 3-4 Ravens transformation on D to apply to the Colts has not worked out too well yet.

If the Colts regress in the next 2 years, then it's time to go exploring. Even though Caldwell went to the Super Bowl, he was canned of course after that 2 and 14 wreckage. At that time, there was no other hot coaches other then Chuck? The 3-4 Ravens transformation on D to apply to the Colts has not worked out too well yet.

I am not calling for Paganos firing, but he doesn't get "2 years of regression" before I call for the axe.  If the team regresses next year he should be gone. I am not talking regressing as in they lose one game more next year than they did this year, or they don't make the AFCCG ... I am talking if they don't look like they have turned the corner, and go toe to toe with the elite teams on the schedule than Irsay needs to get his house in order. 

I am not calling for Paganos firing, but he doesn't get "2 years of regression" before I call for the axe. If the team regresses next year he should be gone. I am not talking regressing as in they lose one game more next year than they did this year, or they don't make the AFCCG ... I am talking if they don't look like they have turned the corner, and go toe to toe with the elite teams on the schedule than Irsay needs to get his house in order.

we will see how next year goes but unless the bottom completely falls out its going to be hard for a coach who has taken a very clear step forward in the playoffs every year he's been here to get fired. It would take something like the 2001 season where the coach losses the team and I don't see that happening.

For all the complaining that they aren't good against good teams the Colts ended up 4-5 against playoff teams this year. Not a great record but if you listen to most it would seem like they were 1-8 or 0-9 in those games. Before this year the Colts had more than held their own against playoff teams under Pagano including beating both Super Bowls teams a year ago. When you measure yourself against the best teams in the league every year sometimes you are going to lose. The only one who is a consistent problem is New England. Something has to change in that area I agree but unless something goes drastically wrong next year Pagano's job is not in jeopardy.

I don't understand how anyone can defend Pagano and Manusky. Their defense has been brutalized every season, multiple times. Ben almost threw for 600yrds. What more do you need to see?

I wish the whole staff could be replaced. Pep too. I feel like he doesnt adjust in gm, and is too predictable. Also would like to see Luck w/ a better playcaller.

You have got to admit this playoff run was so perfectly set up.    Cincy no AJ or Gresh,  and Denver with a really poor Manning.

Against the really good teams Chuck and this staff have simply gotten embarrassed.    3x In a row to NE doing the EXACT same thing each time and we are not ready for it?   Jackson on Edleman?   Sigh..    This loss was embarrassing. 

This team simply lacks impact players.    This team has Luck, TY, and Davis they are elite.    EVERYONE else is just average.   Maybe Castonzo is really good and Art J.     But after that?   Replaceable parts, just guys.

This team needs playmakers.    .....  

Seeing as Caldwell went from Super Bowl to wild card loss at home to 2-14 and Pagano has gone one round further every year in the playoffs each of his three seasons here no I don't think so. 

All that said ...  ONE or TWO STUD olb's or DLmen would make a HUGE diff. 

Great player make it a lot easier on the average ones.   And our DL needs a real stud so badly.  IF this team could afford Suh I would do it in a heart beat.

Oh and maybe Pep might consider some different ways to get TY open....      but whatever...

see you all around draft time.

I don't understand how anyone can defend Pagano and Manusky. Their defense has been brutalized every season, multiple times. Ben almost threw for 600yrds. What more do you need to see?

I wish the whole staff could be replaced. Pep too. I feel like he doesnt adjust in gm, and is too predictable. Also would like to see Luck w/ a better playcaller.

Ok so let's say we do replace the entire coaching staff, who would be your choices for HC, OC and DC? 

We have been hearing over a decade of the need for stud players on defense. The whole approach on D is wrong, as we cannot become the Ravens D II which Chuck wants without having the same type of players on such squad.  The last Colt full season D with an attitude was in 1995.

Well Pagano is the head coach and his job is to win games. The Colts record since he took over is 33-15 with a 3-3 record in the playoffs. That's pretty damn good. If you want to see a replacement at defensive coordinator I can somewhat understand that, but this team has far exceeded expectations under Pagano.

Ok so let's say we do replace the entire coaching staff, who would be your choices for HC, OC and DC?

Dude, if you gave Mike Shanahan this same team, I guarantee it wouldn't have the blowouts its had under Pagano. I guarantee the offense would be even more productive and have an actual run gm.

I think John Fox is better than Pagano, and I think John Fox is a horrible coach.

As far as Head Coaches that I think would improve the team

Fantasy list

Urban Meyer

Shanahan

Mike Singletary

Jim Mora Jr

Mangini

Josh McDaniels

Mike Nolan

Marinelli

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Hue Jackson

I give u these retreads, because I believe they would win with Andrew Luck. They all were fired because they weren't Lucky enough to have one of the best qbs in the league. This team is winning because of the guy behind center. You take Andrew Luck off this team and put him on Hou, Tenn, or even Jacksonville and the Colts finish behind his team.

If I take Pagano and his staff and replace them w/ any coaching staff in our division, we're stll division champs because we have Luck and they don't.

I find this notion that we're 11-5 and we got to the AFCCG because of Pagano absurd. We were Lucky to get to the title gm. As evidence I present to u the result of the title game as proof that we didn't belong. We couldn't even put up a fight vs a team that we've seen plenty the last 3yrs. Under Pagano, we actually had worse results each time vs NE. Someone should answer for that.

I'll close by saying this, I like Pagano as a person. Beacuse of his Cancer battle, he won't be fired anytime soon. So I would hope we at least hold the coordinators responsible. Manusky at least. I would love a veteran playcaller @ OC, but people look @ the numbers and feel as though Pep has done a good job. I would disagree. I want someone that Luck isnt familiar with to coach him. Trestman, Gase, Charlie Weiss are just trandom names I would like. But I'd bet nothing happens, and are ceiling with Pagano and his staff will be getting blown out by the Pats in the playoffs. Unless we get lucky and are able to avoid them 1 yr. But I also think 11-5 will be the ceiling and we'll never be a top 2 seed to get HF advantage under Pagano. Just my thoughts

Dude, if you gave Mike Shanahan this same team, I guarantee it wouldn't have the blowouts its had under Pagano. I guarantee the offense would be even more productive and have an actual run gm.

I think John Fox is better than Pagano, and I think John Fox is a horrible coach.

Fantasy list

Urban Meyer

Shanahan

Mike Singletary

Jim Mora Jr

Mangini

Josh McDaniels

Mike Nolan

Marinelli

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Hue Jackson

I give u these retreads, because I believe they would win with Andrew Luck. They all were fired because they weren't Lucky enough to have one of the best qbs in the league. This team is winning because of the guy behind center. You take Andrew Luck off this team and put him on Hou, Tenn, or even Jacksonville and the Colts finish behind his team.

If I take Pagano and his staff and replace them w/ any coaching staff in our division, we're stll division champs because we have Luck and they don't.

I find this notion that we're 11-5 and we got to the AFCCG because of Pagano absurd. We were Lucky to get to the title gm. As evidence I present to u the result of the title game as proof that we didn't belong. We couldn't even put up a fight vs a team that we've seen plenty the last 3yrs. Under Pagano, we actually had worse results each time vs NE. Someone should answer for that.

I'll close by saying this, I like Pagano as a person. Beacuse of his Cancer battle, he won't be fired anytime soon. So I would hope we at least hold the coordinators responsible. Manusky at least. I would love a veteran playcaller @ OC, but people look @ the numbers and feel as though Pep has done a good job. I would disagree. I want someone that Luck isnt familiar with to coach him. Trestman, Gase, Charlie Weiss are just trandom names I would like. But I'd bet nothing happens, and are ceiling with Pagano and his staff will be getting blown out by the Pats in the playoffs. Unless we get lucky and are able to avoid them 1 yr. But I also think 11-5 will be the ceiling and we'll never be a top 2 seed to get HF advantage under Pagano. Just my thoughts

Couldn't agree more ... I would keep Pagano but Manusky and Pep have to go. I think our offense sucked the last half of the season. Don't even remember the last time we scored 30 points. And against good QBs our defense was a no show. But after listening to Paganos last press conference I think he knows something better be done to fix these problems. Crossing my fingers.

Luck looked below average last night. He actually looked pretty terrible if I'm being quite honest.

Hard to pass when the defense plays a light box and your receivers can't beat press. Look at the way the patriots atrack the press with Edelman and then compare that to the Colts.

Yes Caldwell coached in the Super Bowl then fell on his face after not being able to adjust to what Sean Peyton did with making good adjustments after the half. Chuck could not figure out anything with the same game plan Bill B. presented.

I find it funny that people want to blame Caldwell for the SB loss.  They were prepared for the onside kick at half (That is why Baskett was up there) but Baskett loses the ball and the Saints get it.  Then behind 24-17 the Colts are marching, have the ball on the NO 31 with 3:30 minutes left in the game, definitely in position to tie it and Manning throws a pick 6 that pretty much ends the game.

But yeah, it was Caldwell's fault because Manning checked to a run 3 times at the end of the first half.

Bruce? The same Bruce that watched the worst QB in the league continuously instead of at least giving L. Thomas a shot thus getting knocked out in the first round?

Nah, I'll pass on him

No.   Not that Bruce.   

The one that has led the Arizona Cardinals to the playoffs this year despite having his starting QB and his back-up QB knocked out....   and the one who will be voted coach of the year this year and the one who led the Cardinals to 10 wins last year in his first year,  in the most difficult conference in the NFL.

I don't know what in the world has happened to you.....   way,  way too much apple juice....

Chuck is average as the day is long...        The faster Irsay realizes it the better off this team will be.

Totally unacceptable to be DRILLED by the same team 3x in a row.     And trending on the down slope.     Chuck has NO answer for BB.   Just really disappointing and really unacceptable. 

One more year Chuck.     

Well....    you're new.    We've danced this dance countless times before you arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed,   this is year 3 of a near complete rebuild....   the team has won 11 regular season games each year.

It's gone further in the playoffs each year.      The Colts reached the AFC Championship this year.     That's one game away from the Super Bowl.

The roster is not viewed by anyone is being all that special aside from Andrew Luck.   And yet,  we win.

What happens in one game here or there means very little.    It's the big picture.    And the big picture is the Colts keep winning.

And a large number of teams would kill to be where the Colts are now....

Well.... you're new. We've danced this dance countless times before you arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is year 3 of a near complete rebuild.... the team has won 11 regular season games each year.

It's gone further in the playoffs each year. The Colts reached the AFC Championship this year. That's one game away from the Super Bowl.

The roster is not viewed by anyone is being all that special aside from Andrew Luck. And yet, we win.

What happens in one game here or there means very little. It's the big picture. And the big picture is the Colts keep winning.

Fantasy list

Urban Meyer

Shanahan

Mike Singletary

Jim Mora Jr

Mangini

Josh McDaniels

Mike Nolan

Marinelli

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Hue Jackson

Well.... you're new. We've danced this dance countless times before you arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is year 3 of a near complete rebuild.... the team has won 11 regular season games each year.

It's gone further in the playoffs each year. The Colts reached the AFC Championship this year. That's one game away from the Super Bowl.

The roster is not viewed by anyone is being all that special aside from Andrew Luck. And yet, we win.

What happens in one game here or there means very little. It's the big picture. And the big picture is the Colts keep winning.

Fantasy list

Urban Meyer

Shanahan

Mike Singletary

Jim Mora Jr

Mangini

Josh McDaniels

Mike Nolan

Marinelli

Charlie Weis

Romeo Crennel

Hue Jackson

Well....    all I can say is....   you're entitled to your opinion.

But I don't think you impressed anyone with that list of coaches you think would be better than Pagano....

If you think this team wins the way it does simply because of Andrew Luck,  then I don't think you know much about football.  And for the record,   as a Stanford fan,  I'm here because of Andrew Luck.     No one here loves him more than I do.

But this team is more than just Andrew Luck, and if you think most any coaching staff could win the same way or better,   then we're on opposite sides of the planet from each other....

Welcome to the website....   and good luck to you....

I find it funny that people want to blame Caldwell for the SB loss.  They were prepared for the onside kick at half (That is why Baskett was up there) but Baskett loses the ball and the Saints get it.  Then behind 24-17 the Colts are marching, have the ball on the NO 31 with 3:30 minutes left in the game, definitely in position to tie it and Manning throws a pick 6 that pretty much ends the game.

But yeah, it was Caldwell's fault because Manning checked to a run 3 times at the end of the first half.

Well, if they wre ready for the on-side, perhaps they should have had another sure handed player to be on that side to catch the ball on the bounce. In the 2nd hald, the Colts D kept playing off and Brees went off with the same type of passess.

Well....    all I can say is....   you're entitled to your opinion.

But I don't think you impressed anyone with that list of coaches you think would be better than Pagano....

If you think this team wins the way it does simply because of Andrew Luck,  then I don't think you know much about football.  And for the record,   as a Stanford fan,  I'm here because of Andrew Luck.     No one here loves him more than I do.

But this team is more than just Andrew Luck, and if you think most any coaching staff could win the same way or better,   then we're on opposite sides of the planet from each other....

Welcome to the website....   and good luck to you....

Yes the Colts are more then Luck, but you have io  be objective to know without him they are not a playoff squaud. ,