Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chuck The New Caldwell?

JColts72

Some questionable play calling with the FG attempt for Adam in the wind/rain. Just like Caldwell did to Adam in the playoffs at home from 50 plus and missed. Caldwell would have taken a knee too before the half as Chuck did to Luck instead of heaving one downfield. Like Caldwell, Chuck just cannot make any adjustments overall.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some questionable play calling with the FG attempt for Adam in the wind/rain. Just like Caldwell did to Adam in the playoffs at home from 50 plus and missed. Caldwell would have taken a knee too before the half as Chuck did to Luck instead of heaving one downfield. Like Caldwell, Chuck just cannot make any adjustments overall.

You have to realize that just "making adjustments" wont win you games. When you are outmatched, out gunned and out efforted at nearly every position what in the world are you supposed to do? put 13 guys on the field? What's wrong with trusting the best kicker in the NFL from 51 yards? The hail mary was questionable but really. who cares. It's a hail mary. 

You have to realize that just "making adjustments" wont win you games. When you are outmatched, out gunned and out efforted at nearly every position what in the world are you supposed to do? put 13 guys on the field? What's wrong with trusting the best kicker in the NFL from 51 yards? The hail mary was questionable but really. who cares. It's a hail mary. 

51 in normal conditions perhaps. Guess Chuck did he get a look at the weather on the sidelines. I have not seen such wide right since the horror of Mike V. vs the Steelers. I don't think 13 0r 20 guys on the field would have stopped the Pats.

Seeing as Caldwell went from Super Bowl to wild card loss at home to 2-14 and Pagano has gone one round further every year in the playoffs each of his three seasons here no I don't think so. 

Well, technically the first year was under Arians.

Not ready to give Pagano the boot, but I sure would rather have kept Bruce.

Bruce? The same Bruce that watched the worst QB in the league continuously instead of at least giving L. Thomas a shot thus getting knocked out in the first round?

Nah, I'll pass on him

Vinatieri made one from 58 during pregame so I'm guessing that had something to do with his decision

People gotta stop saying this.... Pregame is nothing compared to the game

There's no pressure in pregame. You're jamming to music & * chatting with your peers.

Gametime is completely different

I guest the season is only between September and December. 

There's no OTA's or training camp or draft. 

The NFL is year round. The actual game time is a small part.

I guest the season is only between September and December.

There's no OTA's or training camp or draft.

The NFL is year round. The actual game time is a small part.

Agree with all that

But..... What you do in that off-time is what will show when the game time comes around. Does it not?

Problem with having a great QB. Makes others look good

Irsay probably going home tonight feeling accomplished. Feeling no need to make any changes to the staff

Best post of the night. He and the coaching staff are probably out having a few beers talking about what a great season it was. Colts were handled by winning football organizations this season. Minus Denver where Manning just looked pitiful we were overmatched by every single top tier team

Vinatieri made one from 58 during pregame so I'm guessing that had something to do with his decision

Usually does. I keep telling people over and over to deaf ears- kickers practice at both ends from different distances and report to the coach the percentage of each distance at each end.  It's pretty much a math/odds thing and not some gut feeling by the coach.

Problem with having a great QB. Makes others look good

Irsay probably going home tonight feeling accomplished. Feeling no need to make any changes to the staff

First of all Irsay was just on TV and did an interview and was clearly dejected about the out come of tonight's game.

However, given a couple of days to digest tonight why shouldn't he feel accomplished about this season?   He's seen his team go from 2-14 to the AFCCG in three very short years.  He's seen them do it quicker than just about anyone thought possible, including most of the posters here.  Most thought it would take three years just to be in the playoffs again but he has not only seen them make the playoffs three straight years but take a very clear step forward in the playoffs each season.  He should absolutely feel like they accomplished something this season as should we.  It's not easy to be one of the last four teams playing.

Yes losing the Pats for the fourth time in three years and have none of them be close is disappointing and clearly something needs to change.  However, I don't think firing the coaches is the answer.  When your front line gets blown off the ball every play it doesn't matter what game plan your coaches come up with it's not going to work.  They need to keep working on the defense this off-season.  While Grigson has had far more hits than misses as GM his misses have come on the defensive side of the ball far more than the offensive side of the ball and it showed up tonight. 

Best post of the night. He and the coaching staff are probably out having a few beers talking about what a great season it was. Colts were handled by winning football organizations this season. Minus Denver where Manning just looked pitiful we were overmatched by every single top tier team

That torn quad of Peyton's really helped. Cause those 2 bonehead picks Andrew threw should've easily been 14 points. Sanders beat Toler once or twice that night too that a healthy Peyton would've took advantage of

Not taking away from the overall solid game that was played by the colts, but seriously would've been a different game with a healthy Peyton

Even if you want to toss out the first year both years since Pagano has taken the team a step forward from the team the year before.

Last year he lead them to a division championship and a home playoff win.

This year he once again won the division won a home playoff game convincingly and then won a road playoff game and frankly in a game that they pretty much dominated outside of the Broncos first offensive position and reached the AFCCG. 

Pagano has proven he's a good coach.  Pagano has three wins in the playoffs, that's three more wins than Arians has as a head coach in the playoffs. 

Colts were handled by winning football organizations this season. Minus Denver where Manning just looked pitiful we were overmatched by every single top tier team

Who were these "top tier" teams?  Dallas?  Yes, they were clearly better and almost ended up in the NFCCG.  Baltimore?  We beat them.  The Bengals?  We beat them twice.  The Eagles and the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs.  

Besides Dallas and New England, I don't see what other "top tier" teams "overmatched" us.

Even if you want to toss out the first year both years since Pagano has taken the team a step forward from the team the year before.

Last year he lead them to a division championship and a home playoff win.

This year he once again won the division won a home playoff game convincingly and then won a road playoff game and frankly in a game that they pretty much dominated outside of the Broncos first offensive position and reached the AFCCG. 

Pagano has proven he's a good coach.  Pagano has three wins in the playoffs, that's three more wins than Arians has as a head coach in the playoffs. 

Pagano plays in a division with Houston , Tenn and Jack. Arians with SF , SL and Seattle. Last year was 10-6 and demolished the Colts. This year was the #1 seed in NFC before he lost Palmer and then Stanton. Not saying Pagano is good or bad but the Arians comparison is unfair.

Pagano plays in a division with Houston , Tenn and Jack. Arians with SF , SL and Seattle. Last year was 10-6 and demolished the Colts. This year was the #1 seed in NFC before he lost Palmer and then Stanton. Not saying Pagano is good or bad but the Arians comparison is unfair.

not meant as a shot at Arains as it meant to point out Pagano is better than most like to give him credit for. Other than the Steelers and Pats Pagano has beat the best the AFC has to offer over the past couple of years.

Also during that time Pagano's Colts have had to over come their own fair share of major injuries too they just got to the AFCCG without having maybe their second best player and their best player on defense all year in Mathis. Last year they lost Reggie for half the season and Brazill was their second option at WR most of the second half of the season. Both the past two years he's lost his top two backs in Bradshaw and Ballard to injury and they had more injuries on the o-line than you can shake a fist at. Yet he's still found a way to coach them to three playoff wins and the AFCCG this year. He's doing something right and I am tired of hearing how they would have been so much better off to go with Arains. Arains has done a fine job with the Cardinals but you know what it would be extremely hard for anyone to do better with the Colts than Pagano has done since he got here.

not meant as a shot at Arains as it meant to point out Pagano is better than most like to give him credit for. Other than the Steelers and Pats Pagano has beat the best the AFC has to offer over the past couple of years.

Also during that time Pagano's Colts have had to over come their own fair share of major injuries too they just got to the AFCCG without having maybe their second best player and their best player on defense all year in Mathis. Last year they lost Reggie for half the season and Brazill was their second option at WR most of the second half of the season. Both the past two years he's lost his top two backs in Bradshaw and Ballard to injury and they had more injuries on the o-line than you can shake a fist at. Yet he's still found a way to coach them to three playoff wins and the AFCCG this year. He's doing something right and I am tired of hearing how they would have been so much better off to go with Arains. Arains has done a fine job with the Cardinals but you know what it would be extremely hard for anyone to do better with the Colts than Pagano has done since he got here.

All I'll say was tonight was ridiculous. Same exact thing as last time . Extra O lineman and run all over us. Double Hilton with the 3rd CB and safety. Actually was worse than the last game .. I'm not sure I saw an open receiver the whole game. I mean .. c'mon , it wasn't rocket science , come up with something that frees a receiver up once a quarter anyway. Horrible half time adjustment. Was about 50 times worse than the first half. But as you say we've had our share of injuries and 11-5 for 2 years running is pretty good .

First of all Irsay was just on TV and did an interview and was clearly dejected about the out come of tonight's game.

However, given a couple of days to digest tonight why shouldn't he feel accomplished about this season?   He's seen his team go from 2-14 to the AFCCG in three very short years.  He's seen them do it quicker than just about anyone thought possible, including most of the posters here.  Most thought it would take three years just to be in the playoffs again but he has not only seen them make the playoffs three straight years but take a very clear step forward in the playoffs each season.  He should absolutely feel like they accomplished something this season as should we.  It's not easy to be one of the last four teams playing.

Yes losing the Pats for the fourth time in three years and have none of them be close is disappointing and clearly something needs to change.  However, I don't think firing the coaches is the answer.  When your front line gets blown off the ball every play it doesn't matter what game plan your coaches come up with it's not going to work.  They need to keep working on the defense this off-season.  While Grigson has had far more hits than misses as GM his misses have come on the defensive side of the ball far more than the offensive side of the ball and it showed up tonight. 

The misses on D by Ryan is like we used to say with Bill P. at times. New team, same results. Is it too much to ask for a D team that plays aggressive and punishes the opposing teams. I mean the Bears of Butkus days were lousy but that D would punish opposing players.

Yes Chuck, the players have taken the next step.  The problem is these players with some notable exceptions will never be the team of players that will get us to a SB. The problem lies in the fact that Grigson has no eye for talent and Pagano constantly talks about the fixes he needs to make but never seem to get made.  Two number ones did not dress for this game, TRich & Werner.  What does that say about our management?  I'm not surprised by the blow-out loss to the Pats, in light of the losses in the regular season to Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England, the Broncos (pre Manning injury) and the wins against such marginal teams as the Browns, Redskins, Giants and the teams in their division.  Two quality wins all year, Raven & Bengals.  So to anyone who says we should be happy with 20 years of quality seasons and one SB, you are settling.  Manning & Luck should be good for at least ???? SB's?

As soon as Chuck had Andrew take a knee before the half I knew they were going to lose. Gutless....

Couldn't agree more .... How gutless can u get . The ravens gave the pats a scare with that last second hailmary. Andrew Luck should have changed the play in the huddle and said screw u .

People gotta stop saying this.... Pregame is nothing compared to the game

There's no pressure in pregame. You're jamming to music & * chatting with your peers.

Gametime is completely different

It may be, but it showed his distance for that game and if your kicker is Adam V, I say you go for it.

Yes Chuck, the players have taken the next step.  The problem is these players with some notable exceptions will never be the team of players that will get us to a SB. The problem lies in the fact that Grigson has no eye for talent and Pagano constantly talks about the fixes he needs to make but never seem to get made.  Two number ones did not dress for this game, TRich & Werner.  What does that say about our management?  I'm not surprised by the blow-out loss to the Pats, in light of the losses in the regular season to Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England, the Broncos (pre Manning injury) and the wins against such marginal teams as the Browns, Redskins, Giants and the teams in their division.  Two quality wins all year, Raven & Bengals.  So to anyone who says we should be happy with 20 years of quality seasons and one SB, you are settling.  Manning & Luck should be good for at least ???? SB's?

You're taking quite a leap there looking that far down the line.  It's been three seasons and we made it to the AFC championship game already.  

Not sure if Pagano needs to go, but would do well to hear the words of Irsay- need to toughen up. For a coach who's cheerleader line is that we are Building a Monster... well don't exactly see any kind of monster. We actually look a lot like we have for the past decade or more...

* finesses offence- no running game, much less a power running game

* D that can't stop the run- progress in 3 yrs?  Where?

* No offensive line to speak of- yes we played better for a couple of games, but still cannot adequately run block to have anything more than an occasional run (and if you noticed, most the successful runs were TE blocked compare to NE who blew it right up the middle)

* No intimidation factor-

Team?  just the opposite, every team, especially one that we worth anything this year, did not fear us. Was NE worried, no. Most people still predicted a NE blowout and they got it.

Coach?  Have you ever heard a commentator or an opponent talk about facing Pagano?  Anyone talk about the need to make adjustments because they are facing Pagano??

Sounds like it has sounded forever around here. He is not making a lot of difference for this team.

Don't know if he needs to go, but change absolutely.  If that involves letting go of staff, all for it. Manusky was an embarrassment Sunday. No preparation, no adjustments, no game changing calls, just same D, same result, never changed.

Not sure if Pagano needs to go, but would do well to hear the words of Irsay- need to toughen up. For a coach who's cheerleader line is that we are Building a Monster... well don't exactly see any kind of monster. We actually look a lot like we have for the past decade or more...

* finesses offence- no running game, much less a power running game

* D that can't stop the run- progress in 3 yrs?  Where?

* No offensive line to speak of- yes we played better for a couple of games, but still cannot adequately run block to have anything more than an occasional run (and if you noticed, most the successful runs were TE blocked compare to NE who blew it right up the middle)

* No intimidation factor-

Team?  just the opposite, every team, especially one that we worth anything this year, did not fear us. Was NE worried, no. Most people still predicted a NE blowout and they got it.

Coach?  Have you ever heard a commentator or an opponent talk about facing Pagano?  Anyone talk about the need to make adjustments because they are facing Pagano??

Sounds like it has sounded forever around here. He is not making a lot of difference for this team.

Don't know if he needs to go, but change absolutely.  If that involves letting go of staff, all for it. Manusky was an embarrassment Sunday. No preparation, no adjustments, no game changing calls, just same D, same result, never changed.

If Jim can have more focus as he does tweeting, he would realize a lot more needs to be done with this team. Maybe he's just comfortable with the Colts making the playoffs? Who knows? Peyton or Luck, it's the same with need to improve on this and that. I would like to see the Colts be a power ball running team and punishing D, but that will not happen. Also a coach our team and opposing players fear. However, that coach is at Michigan now.

He's more comparable with Mike Smith. The players like playing for him but he's not good strategically. Jeff Fisher is a great coach, he just doesn't have a QB. The Colts reminds me of the Falcons, great QB and offensive weapons but average in the trenches and coaching. I also think he's too nice to his players, the opposite of Bellichick and Coughlin.