Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stadiums and Visiting Fans

ColtsSouljah

There's an article going around the web about Packer fans being warned about physical altercations at Century Link. It got me thinking... I've been to about a dozen Colts games over a span of 15 years. I never saw Colts fans hassling people without reason (beyond general smack talk, of course). Now, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've only been to one NFL game outside of Indy so I can't really speak for anywhere else. So, I'm curious. What have your experiences been at various NFL stadiums? Which ones treat visiting fans well? Which ones are downright dangerous? For those of you who are fans of other teams and been to games at Indy, what was your experience like?

My wife and I went to Everbank Field earlier this season for Colts vs. Jaguars.  The fans there were quite cordial, and there was no smack talk either.  Yes they cheered the (few) times the Jags made a play.  likely because Henne started the first half and game was over by the Third quarter when Bortles took over.  The fact Bortles showed some promise over Henne put some pep back into Jags fans, but they knew this game was out of reach.  But even if they had a lead, I don't think they would be dangerous at all.

Nor do I anticipate any issues at Sun Life stadium this upcoming season when we play the Phins.

Judging by a baseball game I attended at the old Vet, Philly Eagles fans might be tough.

I have been to dozens of games in Indy, both at the RCA Dome and LOS.   The only other NFL stadium I've been to is Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, always as a "visiting team fan"   (we've been to see the Colts, Giants and Broncos in Cincinnati).    

I've never seen any real problems at either of these stadiums.

I had friends who went to a game in Cleveland this year and said they were treated horribly.   I've heard Philly and Oakland are pretty rough too.

I think I'll stick to games at LOS and PBS.   ;)

I went to a game in Philly a few years ago and really thought I was going to get hurt. I got bombed with ice balls and beer was thrown and poured on me. City of brotherly love? I don't think so. I also took in a Colt-Steeler game in Pittsburgh and was kind of nervous but really had a good time there. Lots of good ribbing but all in fun. One of the Steeler fans about 3 seats down ask me if I wanted a beer but I turned him down and took a hot coffee instead. No problems in Cincy but got real tired of hearing "who dey" with every play that Cincy made. But Colts won so it was cool.

I've been to Gillette Stadium several times. A large majority of the Pats fans I hung around were pretty friendly, and exceeded my expectations. I usually wear my Thurman Thomas jersey to Bills-Patriots games. I'd actually get more praise than criticism of the jersey.

Must be because I'm a Bills fan. I'd imagine things would be much different if I came in as a Jets fan or something.

Maybe. ive seen my fair share of * on * crime in Indy. IBut ive heard places like philly Cleveland and Oakland can get pretty bad

yeah.  Midwest people are generally nicer tho.

Boston was bad in the Sullivan era. That changed when Kraft took over. You probably remember NE was banned from Monday night football for quite awhile due to drunk fights- right in the stands. Couldn't take your kids.

I've been to Gillette Stadium several times. A large majority of the Pats fans I hung around were pretty friendly, and exceeded my expectations. I usually wear my Thurman Thomas jersey to Bills-Patriots games. I'd actually get more praise than criticism of the jersey.

Must be because I'm a Bills fan. I'd imagine things would be much different if I came in as a Jets fan or something.

yeah- see my post above.  I saw some Buffalo fights back in the day. Pretty nice in gillette now.

Oh wait- Rex says your team is the bully no one will want to play with for 60 min. 

You can have that bombast coach.

yeah- see my post above.  I saw some Buffalo fights back in the day. Pretty nice in gillette now.

Oh wait- Rex says your team is the bully no one will want to play with for 60 min. 

You can have that bombast coach.

Thanks for reminding me of Rex. Yeah, I imagine I won't be making too many friends in my next Gillette visit. With Rex the Bills may very well become a team people will start to hate.

I've been a STH since 2012, and the only thing I've seen even close to it were a Pats fan and Colts fan yelling at each other 6 rows apart who got ejected earlier this year.  Not sure what started it, but both parties were responsible.  400 level, FWIW.

Chiefs: good, cold as heck. Sun never hit my section.

Cowboys: a little rambunctious but nothing too over the top. Great seats. And i was in the 400's section.

Next year will be Houston and possibly Denver.

My goal is to visit every stadium. Excluding Pittsburgh, Philly, and oakland.

Thanks for reminding me of Rex. Yeah, I imagine I won't be making too many friends in my next Gillette visit. With Rex the Bills may very well become a team people will start to hate.

heh start ? - I already do:) 

No offense- just like to see Rex aka big mouths lose. I don't hate him tho. I could even feel sorry for him after that nightmare in NY.

Should be interesting- certainly competitive.

Same thing could happen at any stadium. Every fan base has good fans and bad fans. It's really no different than going to any other kind of entertainment event and being warned something might happen there. Anyone that has ever been to a Metal concert in the 90's and so forth (one with a notoriety of mosh pits. I.E. Pantera, Ministry, Megadeth) knows this is the case too. Sports fans going to these events are the only ones warned. 

The only opposing stadium I ever have been to is the Georgia Dome. One time only thing. Watched the Saints lose in OT after a long road trip, sat around a bunch of Falcons fans and I don't remember ever having an issue with them. Even though I'm a talky type of person that will talk your ear off, I don't like being around a lot of people like that. 

Never been to Philly but I think their reputation as terrible fans to the opposition is well deserved. I went on their message board in 2010 before the Colts played them. Mind you, it was the official Eagles board. I didn't troll, said "I come in peace" and just wanted to talk about the game. I was told things i can't repeat on here....including threats of violence if I ever showed up there. Hell, they had a jail at their old stadium it was so bad. Not to mention booing Santa Claus and cheering when Michael Irvin lay motionless on the field. They also sniped a lot when Collie was down in that 2010 game. I hope they never win a SB