Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Barnwell's analysis

Superman

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/afc-championship-preview-colts-vs-patriots/

Some good stuff in there about the previous matchup, specifically why the Pats were so effective on the ground. 

You see a few common problems for the Colts among those plays. They’re getting overwhelmed physically at the point of attack, either by Gronkowski or Fleming. They’re overpursuing and struggling to stay disciplined in the hopes of making a big play, and when they fail, it’s leaving the Patriots with easy blocks to create hefty chunks of yardage. More than anything, you just don’t see anybody on Indianapolis winning a one-on-one matchup to create a tackle for loss or shedding a Patriots player to force anyone off his path. The blockers I’m not mentioning are putting together combo blocks and moving as a unit, mowing down the likes of Kerr and Ricky Jean-Francois. New England’s plays are being run the way you would draw them up on the whiteboard.

Kerr was getting spanked in that game.

Whoever was on the right side of the Dline got spanked that game, Kerr, RJF, Werner, Newsome, it did not matter.  Hopefully, with Jones back he will make enough of a difference, but the outside linebackers need to do a better job too.

Kerr was getting spanked in that game.

Whoever was on the right side of the Dline got spanked that game, Kerr, RJF, Werner, Newsome, it did not matter.  Hopefully, with Jones back he will make enough of a difference, but the outside linebackers need to do a better job too.

Everybody got spanked. Redding overran a bunch of plays, nobody could tackle, Newsome lost contain a thousand times, Walden was slow to the point of attack, etc.

Barnwell blocked me after I criticized him for writing 17 paragraphs on Peyton Manning's arm strength before getting to his 18th and final paragraph about what the Colts need to do to win last week. He looks like a balder, fatter, nerdier Seth Rogen.

Never liked his writing or respected his insight.  He does what a lot of the sabermetrics writers do.  He cherry picks and shifts around numbers to fit the narrative he wants to present. 

I do think that Jones will help out the run defense. I also think that   Newsome has more experience and is becomming more of a factor in our defensive alignment.  Freeman has been playing better as of late. We need good games from Jackson, Werner and Walden as well. The Pats always have surprises so it is tough to gameplan against them. 

If we can contain their run game and put some pressure on Brady we can make this a competitive game. To win, we will need a solid game from Luck. If he has a solid game then we have a chance to win. That means we have to protect the football, limit drops and avoid foolish penalties.

I think that Boom and Tipton will need to come close to 100 yards rushing. I see Luck continuing short passing game with Boom and TE's getting a lot of attention. If we can move ball on ground and have high percentage completions on short pass routes that will give  Luck opportunity to go to vertical game with deeper balls to Hilton, Montcrief. It would be helpful if Reggie and Nicks can be factors in our receiving game. Nicks has been hot over the past two months and is quickly gaining Luck's confidence.

Pats can be beaten. We just need to bring our A game and we hopefully get less than the Pats A game

Pretty simple, Stay in there run fits and the Colts can slow down the run considerably, Start playing that free for all rush up field style and not reading the play in the process and then we will see a repeat of that regular season game. I think we can slow down the run enough, Im not so concerned over that this time around. Im concerned about taking care of the ball and being able to run the ball at a respectable level to slow the game down, I also think we will need to score on the ground once....maybe twice....If Luck has to throw 3-4 td's just to keep the game close then we are in trouble.....Simplify the run blocking schemes