Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Del Rio Hired by Raiders

Fx Stryker

From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458717/article/oakland-raiders-hire-jack-del-rio-as-next-head-coach

This is a good thing for the Broncos. Get a defensive coach with a pair, and actually knows how to use his talent. Like not putting Talib on speedy receivers.

Also the Raiders will probably regret this hiring. Recently he is the best coach the Jaguars had, but still wasn't great.

Cause you know how good the 49ers coach is gonna be?

It's unknown how Jim Tomsula will turn out. The key word is potential.

Del Rio has no potential. He's not a good head coach. One of the lasiest work ethics in the NFL. 

BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahHAHAHHA!

Ok guys, here's the Raider defense for the upcoming season:

1: Rush 4

2: Sit in zone

3: Hold, and still get beat like a drum.

And after week 12 and zero sacks because he doesn't have a Ware or Miller the drum will still keep beating.

Amazing how you can only call a blitz for one drive, and the only drive your defensive unit did well.

And after week 12 and zero sacks because he doesn't have a Ware or Miller the drum will still keep beating.

Amazing how you can only call a blitz for one drive, and the only drive your defensive unit did well.

You cant cherry pick games and stats....Denver was toop-10 in run and pass defense..

In the playoff loss they gave u 24 points.

Folks get a prejudice about a coach and they wont let facts get in the way of their dislike.

Denver was a very god defensive team and Del Rio was the defensive coordinator....got to admit it

Talent, probably. I personally don't think they used their talent as effectively as they could have.

Its talent when they suceed and the coaching when they fail?

Nobody loves Peyton and that offense more than me but the loss to the Colts was on O'..They couldn't perform..

You can, of course, always say that any team didn't use their talent as effectively as they could any year.

The coach has his name on it and Denver the AFC's top pass-rush defense combo

You cant cherry pick games and stats....Denver was toop-10 in run and pass defense..

In the playoff loss they gave u 24 points.

Folks get a prejudice about a coach and they wont let facts get in the way of their dislike.

Denver was a very god defensive team and Del Rio was the defensive coordinator....got to admit it

If Talib is known to be terrible against small speedy receivers why would Del Rio have him cover TY? And not have Harris cover him when Harris shut him down earlier in the year.

Denver's defense was good at run blocking, and that is about it. The pass defense never held against a good quarterback. Like I said they played good, but the incompetence of his coaching style showed through.

Its talent when they suceed and the coaching when they fail?

Nobody loves Peyton and that offense more than me but the loss to the Colts was on O'..They couldn't perform..

You can, of course, always say that any team didn't use their talent as effectively as they could any year.

The coach has his name on it and Denver the AFC's top pass-rush defense combo

You're talking in general terms, and about things that have nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

All I'm saying is that they had a really talented defense, but I don't like the way they were deployed. They had personnel to play an aggressive, dictating, pressure defense, and they didn't. Not just in the last game of the year, in general, all season long. They have $100m invested in corners who can play press man, yet they often dropped back into Man-3 or Man-4 shell coverages. They have a great pass rush tandem, yet often subbed them for each other, rather than using them together. They didn't move them around in a way that could have maximized their potential.

It was an uninspired, conservative defense, and I think it could have been a LOT better. 

If Talib is known to be terrible against small speedy receivers why would Del Rio have him cover TY? And not have Harris cover him when Harris shut him down earlier in the year.

Denver's defense was good at run blocking, and that is about it. The pass defense never held against a good quarterback. Like I said they played good, but the incompetence of his coaching style showed through.

The record just doesn't support that...You cant cherry pick games and stats...Judge 17 games..

They faced lots of good QBs...Colts scored 24 points..below average

..Wins, stops...numbers trump personal prejudice

..Wins, stops...numbers trump personal prejudice

I don't have a personal prejudice. All I seen was a coach who didn't maximize his talent all season.

Sometimes the coaches don't know best OUM.

And the record does support it. They didn't stop a single top tier QB.

You're talking in general terms, and about things that have nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

All I'm saying is that they had a really talented defense, but I don't like the way they were deployed. They had personnel to play an aggressive, dictating, pressure defense, and they didn't. Not just in the last game of the year, in general, all season long. They have $100m invested in corners who can play press man, yet they often dropped back into Man-3 or Man-4 shell coverages. They have a great pass rush tandem, yet often subbed them for each other, rather than using them together. They didn't move them around in a way that could have maximized their potential.

It was an uninspired, conservative defense, and I think it could have been a LOT better.

. I watched most every game and the 'D' was vastly improved from the Super Bowl season.

Hardly uninspired...Top-10 in every category. .They may not have done things your way (or my way) but there is no doubt they succeeded defensively.

You can always claim you know better than the coach..All us fans do that. But you cant claim failure or incompetence because they didn't do it the way you thought they should.

That's not logic. You have to look at results. Top-10 offense and defense. The only AFC team with that 16-game story. It is what it is

I don't have a personal prejudice. All I seen was a coach who didn't maximize his talent all season.

Sometimes the coaches don't know best OUM.

And the record does support it. They didn't stop a single top tier QB.

Wow. I'd like to believe that us folks on message boards know football better than coaches...

Makes me feel ma dn fuzzy inside..

But no coach maximizes his talent...That';s a cliche..you can say abut 100 coaches

Which other teams were top-10 in defense pass and rush?

You cant ask more than that...and you cant say that talent without coaching succeeds. You know better

Wish the Colts were Toopp10 in offense and defense

Wow. I'd like to believe that us folks on message boards know football better than coaches...

Makes me feel ma dn fuzzy inside..

But no coach maximizes his talent...That';s a cliche..you can say abut 100 coaches

Which other teams were top-10 in defense pass and rush?

You cant ask more than that...and you cant say that talent without coaching succeeds. You know better

Wish the Colts were Toopp10 in offense and defense

The Broncos were 16th in scoring defense. And 25 in passing touchdowns allowed.

again..cherry pick..

Denver was 7th in pass defenss....2nd in rush defense

4th in total defense - regular season..final stats

..Scoring defense is a bad stat because it includes pick 6s and special teams TDs..as I know you know

You're argument is fact based...its your feelings

The defenses job is stop teams from scoring points.

They were 16th, average, at stopping teams from scoring. And like I said they struggled against top passers. Their 25th rank against passing touchdowns supports that fact.

Call it cherry picking if you want, but I'm just showing you facts.

. I watched most every game and the 'D' was vastly improved from the Super Bowl season.

Hardly uninspired...Top-10 in every category. .They may not have done things your way (or my way) but there is no doubt they succeeded defensively.

You can always claim you know better than the coach..All us fans do that. But you cant claim failure or incompetence because they didn't do it the way you thought they should.

That's not logic. You have to look at results. Top-10 offense and defense. The only AFC team with that 16-game story. It is what it is

I didn't claim failure or incompetence. I didn't even claim that they weren't successful. I certainly didn't say that I know better than the coach.

I said that I think they could have been better. And I stand by that.

Stop arguing against straw men. I pointed out two very specific things that I think they could have done better. You come back with platitudes about things that I haven't even mentioned.

I didn't claim failure or incompetence. I didn't even claim that they weren't successful. I certainly didn't say that I know better than the coach.

Stop arguing against straw men. I pointed out two very specific things that I think they could have done better. You come back with platitudes about things that I haven't even mentioned.

Facts vs. Feelings...you gave me your feelings

I'm giving you numbers and fact and you're giving me your feelings...

Yo say you feel thins and you think that.

The numbers: Top-10 defernsepas and rush are not yours to debate, ou know scoring defense includes special teamd a picks 6s

I respect feelings but don't pretend feelings are facts..they're opinions and they dont trump final numbers

..My opinion. Oakland's better with him that would have been with anybody else pn the market, in my

The defenses job is stop teams from scoring points.

They were 16th, average, at stopping teams from scoring. And like I said they struggled against top passers. Their 25th rank against passing touchdowns supports that fact.

Call it cherry picking if you want, but I'm just showing you facts.

The thread is about Del Rio..and he cant stop points on kickoff returns vs. NE or pick 6s vs. Cincy...

TD passes..valid.()although they were top-10 in pass D) .Scoring defense..isn't on the DC

But you have said previous ly that you don't like Del Rio..and didn't like him before he came to Denver.

That might be clouding your analysis, in my opinion

I'm giving you numbers and fact and you're giving me your feelings...

Yo say you feel thins and you think that.

The numbers: Top-10 defernsepas and rush are not yours to debate, ou know scoring defense includes special teamd a picks 6s

I respect feelings but don't pretend feelings are facts..they're opinions and they dont trump final numbers

..My opinion. Oakland's better with him that would have been with anybody else pn the market, in my

When did I debate whether they were top ten in yardage?

You're being rather ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Talent.....del rio was pretty vanilla most of the time.

* edit: this has already been pointed out

Denver didn't blitz because most games..they didn't have to..

Coverage was not simple..You don't really believe that Denver had a highly rated defense despite the defensive coordinator.

That doesn't happen..