Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elway Wants Manning Back

Fx Stryker

The only reason why Peyton would even dare come back next season is for the money (greed) if he even does come back.  No way he can finish an entire season next season.  The drop off in Peyton's performance from the first 9 games to the second half of the season was HUGE!

If Peyton does come back what the heck will the offense do?  Run it 40 times a game?  He can't hit receivers down field.

"IF" Peyton comes back he BETTER restructure his contract.  He gets $20 mil next season (non-guaranteed) so it will say a lot about his character if he takes the $20 mil or restructures his contract or goes to another team.

No, Peyton doesn't deserve the $20 mil.  Being the #2 seed and getting beat bad by the Colts and performing horrible is not deserving of elite QB money.

I hope Peyton retires.  I like Peyton and I don't want to see him be a shell of himself and tarnish his image and legacy by making a fool out of himself.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good points.

If you can run the ball in cold, windy weather, and you have a physical and aggressive defense, then you can get through those games. 

I also wonder if it's accurate to say his body didn't hold up. That's like saying Rodgers body didn't hold up. He got hurt. The Broncos also made a conscious effort to run the ball more effectively. Julius Thomas got hurt. Emmanuel Sanders was hurt. And they went 5-1.

I wish more people underststood that. When a younger guy is hurt..they say he was unlucky and wait till he gets better

An older player is said to be washed. Manning's arm is fine..He was overthrowing sanders who, yes, wasn't 100% either.

\They're very close to being a Super Bowl team and they get 2 staring linebacker back off the injured list next season plus CJ Anderson full time.

The O-linwe needs help but they would be foolish to break this team up and Elway sounds like he's not even considering it

All good points.

If you can run the ball in cold, windy weather, and you have a physical and aggressive defense, then you can get through those games. 

I also wonder if it's accurate to say his body didn't hold up. That's like saying Rodgers body didn't hold up. He got hurt. The Broncos also made a conscious effort to run the ball more effectively. Julius Thomas got hurt. Emmanuel Sanders was hurt. And they went 5-1. 

Dunno what is accurate concerning the injury. A gut a few months short of his 39th birthday will be more susceptible to injury if he takes hits . He will also be slower to recover. Some are now saying Manning's poor showings were due to injury. You can't have it both ways (IMO) . Unless you want to contend that a guy 39 is just as "sturdy" as another smack dab in his prime , you can't make the analogy to Rodgers that you made. Again just my opinion .. I'm not an expert on the bodies of guys playing in the NFL at 39 years old. 

Manning IMO had electric receivers and that really contributed to those big #'s. Your correct on J Thomas . Forget how many games he may have played ... he was never the same after the ankle injury. I think you have Sanders a bit over played. Didn't he get his bell rang and miss about 30 minutes of football. He passed the concussion protocol and played the following week. Maybe injuries I'm not aware of ?

BTW.. I think Elway is right to roll the dice with Manning. Pretty unlikely he can improve the QB position . I wonder if he'll 

ask Peyton to take a bit less then the 19 mill ?

The only reason why Peyton would even dare come back next season is for the money (greed) if he even does come back.  No way he can finish an entire season next season.  The drop off in Peyton's performance from the first 9 games to the second half of the season was HUGE!

If Peyton does come back what the heck will the offense do?  Run it 40 times a game?  He can't hit receivers down field.

"IF" Peyton comes back he BETTER restructure his contract.  He gets $20 mil next season (non-guaranteed) so it will say a lot about his character if he takes the $20 mil or restructures his contract or goes to another team.

No, Peyton doesn't deserve the $20 mil.  Being the #2 seed and getting beat bad by the Colts and performing horrible is not deserving of elite QB money.

I hope Peyton retires.  I like Peyton and I don't want to see him be a shell of himself and tarnish his image and legacy by making a fool out of himself.

Manning was hurt and he'll heal up...He threw for 4,700 yards...with his TE hurt half the year and his line jumbled

You don't quit with those numbers.

The money isn't an issue...and theres no hurry to retire when your team wins its division every year.

One year ago..all time record numbers for any QB .. Fix the O-line..get healthy and it can happen again

Dunno what is accurate concerning the injury. A gut a few months short of his 39th birthday will be more susceptible to injury if he takes hits . He will also be slower to recover. Some are now saying Manning's poor showings were due to injury. You can't have it both ways (IMO) . Unless you want to contend that a guy 39 is just as "sturdy" as another smack dab in his prime , you can't make the analogy to Rodgers that you made. Again just my opinion .. I'm not an expert on the bodies of guys playing in the NFL at 39 years old. 

Manning IMO had electric receivers and that really contributed to those big #'s. Your correct on J Thomas . Forget how many games he may have played ... he was never the same after the ankle injury. I think you have Sanders a bit over played. Didn't he get his bell rang and miss about 30 minutes of football. He passed the concussion protocol and played the following week. Maybe injuries I'm not aware of ?

BTW.. I think Elway is right to roll the dice with Manning. Pretty unlikely he can improve the QB position . I wonder if he'll 

Sanders was kncked out fo 2 games and he;s had a bad hip since midseason..There's no way Manning overthrows him if he's healthy.

In the first part of the season. ..they both joked about how peyton could not overthrow him...if he tried.

But Its not a roll of the dice...to go with Big bad Brock means you're hoping for the 6th seed.

If they get a bye next year...with Manning (for the 4th year in a row) and still don't go all the way, what have they lost?

Folks wanted Elway to quit in his 30s, too

I wish more people underststood that. When a younger guy is hurt..they say he was unlucky and wait till he gets better

An older player is said to be washed. Manning's arm is fine..He was overthrowing sanders who, yes, wasn't 100% either.

\They're very close to being a Super Bowl team and they get 2 staring linebacker back off the injured list next season plus CJ Anderson full time.

The O-linwe needs help but they would be foolish to break this team up and Elway sounds like he's not even considering it

I agree with Elway's decision. I disagree that Manning's arm is fine. The Colts took the middle of the field away as those sideline throws usually take a lot of "arm" to fit in there. Just because he threw the ball over Sanders head , doesn't mean his arm stregth was good. My eyes saw a QB lacking arm strength, yours saw something different. Why didn't Elway play at Peyton's age ? Plenty of arm strength left . Answer is player's bodies fail them at that age. If you and Superman are saying Manning is no more likely to get hurt than a QB the age of A. Rodgers , that's very arguable.

Sanders was kncked out fo 2 games and he;s had a bad hip since midseason..There's no way Manning overthrows him if he's healthy.

In the first part of the season. ..they both joked about how peyton could not overthrow him...if he tried.

But Its not a roll of the dice...to go with Big bad Brock means you're hoping for the 6th seed.

If they get a bye next year...with Manning (for the 4th year in a row) and still don't go all the way, what have they lost?

Folks wanted Elway to quit in his 30s, too

As I just said , Elway did quit earlier. No way he played at 40 years old. Also I've never said Manning is totally washed up. I'm saying that IMO , he's not going to be an elite QB at almost 40 years old. I think Denver has no choice but to hope he comes back but I don't think he'll be a $19,000,000 QB and I doubt very much he'll get them the SB win that Elway is "demanding ." When do you see a coach get fired a year after reaching the SB ? 

On the Rodgers/Manning comparison, all I'm saying is that guys get hurt. I don't want it both ways. It was a specific injury. It's not like this started popping up, then that started popping up, and there was no reason. Assuming the reports are true -- that he got hurt in the Chargers game, and it was more severe than people realized -- then he got hurt. He didn't just fall apart because he's 38. Sure, it's harder to bounce back, and this is something that might not have bothered him 6-8 years ago, but it's also something that happened because he forgot that it's 2014 and tried to throw a block. 

You're right on Sanders. I thought he missed a couple games. He didn't. 

As for Manning's salary, I think he should take a pay cut, for sure. I've thought that this would be the year all along. He got a two year guarantee in 2013, and if he clears his physical he'll get another guarantee in 2015. I always felt that would be the natural spot to discuss a restructure and a pay decrease. But I didn't expect him to average 43 TDs and nearly 5,000 yards a year, either.

They probably want to re-sign Rahim Moore, re-sign Knighton, add an inside linebacker (hurts that they lost Woodyard last season, but they can probably do that in the draft), add an interior pass rusher (draft), and keep DT and JT, and reinforce the offensive line. They also want to do a long term deal for Von Miller. They'll have $24m in cap space, assuming the cap is $140m. If Manning agreed to a pay cut, they could probably get all of that done.

On the Rodgers/Manning comparison, all I'm saying is that guys get hurt. I don't want it both ways. It was a specific injury. It's not like this started popping up, then that started popping up, and there was no reason. Assuming the reports are true -- that he got hurt in the Chargers game, and it was more severe than people realized -- then he got hurt. He didn't just fall apart because he's 38. Sure, it's harder to bounce back, and this is something that might not have bothered him 6-8 years ago, but it's also something that happened because he forgot that it's 2014 and tried to throw a block. 

You're right on Sanders. I thought he missed a couple games. He didn't. 

As for Manning's salary, I think he should take a pay cut, for sure. I've thought that this would be the year all along. He got a two year guarantee in 2013, and if he clears his physical he'll get another guarantee in 2015. I always felt that would be the natural spot to discuss a restructure and a pay decrease. But I didn't expect him to average 43 TDs and nearly 5,000 yards a year, either.

They probably want to re-sign Rahim Moore, re-sign Knighton, add an inside linebacker (hurts that they lost Woodyard last season, but they can probably do that in the draft), add an interior pass rusher (draft), and keep DT and JT, and reinforce the offensive line. They also want to do a long term deal for Von Miller. They'll have $24m in cap space, assuming the cap is $140m. If Manning agreed to a pay cut, they could probably get all of that done.

I get you and that's reasonable . Not an issue of "aches and pains" ... good point. I do think he'll come back and he probably should . Why not leave the game with every passing stat there is ? Plus he's certainly not hurting Denver as they don't need to "tear it down." I do think Elway is a big "prickle bush" firing Fox because he didn't win the SB. But that's another issue. And yeah .. he really should take less money in 2015. 

As I just said , Elway did quit earlier. No way he played at 40 years old. Also I've never said Manning is totally washed up. I'm saying that IMO , he's not going to be an elite QB at almost 40 years old. I think Denver has no choice but to hope he comes back but I don't think he'll be a $19,000,000 QB and I doubt very much he'll get them the SB win that Elway is "demanding ." When do you see a coach get fired a year after reaching the SB ?

Why would you say Manning wont be an alitre QB at age 40 when he was at ages 37 and 38?

The point is: Everyone in sports insists that old players retire. Do you remember the calls for Manning to retire 4 years ago.?

He was called foolish and selfish for wanting to continue to play...but he's been a Pro Bowl player the last 3 years and was league MVP at 37. Forget the money..all top QBs draw 8 figures...His salary wont be holding management back...

.Doubt? Sure. Everybody doubts he can do it. Its an easy prediction..Only 1 team wins...31 lose.

You don't quit because you doubt you can win it all

I don't blame Elway foe demanding playoff success...he was brought in to get that done.

I don't think anything has changed other than coaches...

I think you subtract Wes Welker, Julius Thomas and Orlando Franklin from this team for financial(and performance) reasons

...and they come back with healthy linebackers (Irving and Trevethan) and go for it again.

You never give up when you're close

Why would you say Manning wont be an alitre QB at age 40 when he was at ages 37 and 38?

The point is: Everyone in sports insists that old players retire. Do you remember the calls for Manning to retire 4 years ago.?

He was called foolish and selfish for wanting to continue to play...but he's been a Pro Bowl player the last 3 years and was league MVP at 37. Forget the money..all top QBs draw 8 figures...His salary wont be holding management back...

.Doubt? Sure. Everybody doubts he can do it. Its an easy prediction..Only 1 team wins...31 lose.

You don't quit because you doubt you can win it all

I don't blame Elway foe demanding playoff success...he was brought in to get that done.

I don't think anything has changed other than coaches...

I think you subtract Wes Welker, Julius Thomas and Orlando Franklin from this team for financial(and performance) reasons

...and they come back with healthy linebackers (Irving and Trevethan) and go for it again.

You never give up when you're close

The only "calls" for Manning to retire 4 years ago were from those who thought he could end up paralyzed from a hit to the neck area. The great majority of Dr's said this was not a risk. Other than that , I don't recall anyone "calling for Manning to retire 4 years ago. 

Why don't I think he can be elite at 40 ? It's because it looks to me that he doesn't have enough arm to be elite. You have to be able to make some throws that do take some arm strength to be elite. Otherwise the defense will try to take all the ones that don't away from you. That's pretty much what Seattle did in the SB and we followed the same strategy. If you take away the middle of the field it leaves long sideline throws , little dinks and outs. The long sideline throws are ones that really don't require a canon , but the sideline outs take a lot of arm. So it left Manning with little short throws ( Colts tackled well and jammed receivers at the line) and those long floaters he kept missing. 

Furthermore considering Denver's roster , I said the right thing was to try to bring him back for next year. As far as my thinking that he regress every year from here on , what can I say ? I just haven't seen too many QB's other than Favre play lights out at 40. JMO.. no right or wrong. If he plays in 2015 we'll revisit it.

You may not have heard them but there were many, many calls for Peyton to retire...due to injury....

using exactly youir logic. They handt seen anyone come back from neck surgeries 'at his age'.

..and many said he'd never be what he was...'at his age' ..turns out..he was undeniably better. That's all I'm saying.

Had he listened to those who 'hadn't seen too many QBs set NFL records or lead their tera to the Super Bowl at age 37' and quit....well...he'd be home raising kids now

His arm strength is the same as it was last year when he was MVP....until he hurt his plant leg...

You're 'throws' critique was also true last year when the threw for 5,400 yards..and 55 TDs

..You speak of the Colts game..when, of course, he was hurt...and his top WR dropped 3 passes that might have changed things.

You speak of the Seattle game...Denver is 27-9 the last two seasons and Manning has thrown for 10,000 yards.

I didnt see a guy who cant get Denver back to the No 1 or No. 2 seed...which is all you can do in the regular season.

The only "calls" for Manning to retire 4 years ago were from those who thought he could end up paralyzed from a hit to the neck area. The great majority of Dr's said this was not a risk. Other than that , I don't recall anyone "calling for Manning to retire 4 years ago. 

Why don't I think he can be elite at 40 ? It's because it looks to me that he doesn't have enough arm to be elite. You have to be able to make some throws that do take some arm strength to be elite. Otherwise the defense will try to take all the ones that don't away from you. That's pretty much what Seattle did in the SB and we followed the same strategy. If you take away the middle of the field it leaves long sideline throws , little dinks and outs. The long sideline throws are ones that really don't require a canon , but the sideline outs take a lot of arm. So it left Manning with little short throws ( Colts tackled well and jammed receivers at the line) and those long floaters he kept missing. 

Furthermore considering Denver's roster , I said the right thing was to try to bring him back for next year. As far as my thinking that he regress every year from here on , what can I say ? I just haven't seen too many QB's other than Favre play lights out at 40. JMO.. no right or wrong. If he plays in 2015 we'll revisit it.

think manning be back one thing is brady still playing football. second has team that built for him too win. 

Does not matter. One and done again is all that will happen.

Some of us called the one and done months before it happened and we all got reminded how crazy we were.

As I specifically remember, I'm the nut that said one day they'd regret buying him another wide receiver with Sanders, rather than getting him a run game and drilling it through his thick skull to just run the ball. Anderson isn't a bad back, but this is a QB who absolutely hates running the ball. The same one that gave up on Addai when he gashed the Saints for 100 yards in the SB. 

Remember, Elway did not have to do much in his SB wins. They just rode the Terrell Davis train there and back. And no one can say "Peyton never had good running backs" you know that's not true. Edge James is a Hall of Famer, and he put up amazing stats rushing. Addai, wasn't that bad either (100 rushing yards vs the Saints and they quit running it in the game) and then Moreno was a 1,000 yard rusher last year, which Denver opted not to bring back in favor of bringing in another wide receiver with a big ego who did absolutely nothing in the playoffs this weekend after we heard all year how Sanders was so great. 

Peyton has NINE one and dones now. And most of those were at home too, sitting on a bye week after spending the year blowing out a cupcake schedule. 

Some of us called the one and done months before it happened and we all got reminded how crazy we were.

As I specifically remember, I'm the nut that said one day they'd regret buying him another wide receiver with Sanders, rather than getting him a run game and drilling it through his thick skull to just run the ball. Anderson isn't a bad back, but this is a QB who absolutely hates running the ball. The same one that gave up on Addai when he gashed the Saints for 100 yards in the SB.

Remember, Elway did not have to do much in his SB wins. They just rode the Terrell Davis train there and back. And no one can say "Peyton never had good running backs" you know that's not true. Edge James is a Hall of Famer, and he put up amazing stats rushing. Addai, wasn't that bad either (100 rushing yards vs the Saints and they quit running it in the game) and then Moreno was a 1,000 yard rusher last year, which Denver opted not to bring back in favor of bringing in another wide receiver with a big ego who did absolutely nothing in the playoffs this weekend after we heard all year how Sanders was so great.

Peyton has NINE one and dones now. And most of those were at home too, sitting on a bye week after spending the year blowing out a cupcake schedule.

Don't you have bigger problems worrying about the dumpster fire that is the saints?

Also, you predicted a one and done for him and the broncos last year. Don't break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back . As far as a cupcake schedule, no teams in the league had a schedule as easy as any team in the NFC south. Like it our not, manning will always be considered an all time great qb.

Elway did more with less than anyone I have ever seen.

The year he won his first SB the team ranked #1 in offense and #6 in defense - they ended the year 16-4. The following year they were #2 offense and #8 defense - ended the season 17-2...

Elway, Sharp & Owens were great on O and Romanowski, Smith & Tanuvasa on D - he was on at least two really good teams with plenty around him. QBs dont win SBs all alone - it takes a team effort.

The year he won his first SB the team ranked #1 in offense and #6 in defense - they ended the year 16-4. The following year they were #2 offense and #8 defense - ended the season 17-2...

Elway, Sharp & Owens were great on O and Romanowski, Smith & Tanuvasa on D - he was on at least two really good teams with plenty around him. QBs dont win SBs all alone - it takes a team effort.

They're referring to the Super Bowls in the 80s and early 90s.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory

I think Peyton comes back for one more year.  People say he played poorly at the end, but don't forget he threw for 39 TDs and 4700+ yards during the year.  When healthy, I think Peyton is still one of the league's better QBs.  He also has a pretty solid offense around him

I hope that nobody ever disagrees with anything that you post.  As a person of average intelligence, I know that you are a stupid *, but worry not, kind sir.  If you do not remove this latest account, I will forego exposing you as a simpleton fratboy * who jealously covets his meager status on this message board.  So, Please Please, send me your SPAM so that I may be enjoying myself in these mordern world!

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory

I hope that nobody ever disagrees with anything that you post. As a person of average intelligence, I know that you are a stupid *, but worry not, kind sir. If you do not remove this latest account, I will forego exposing you as a simpleton fratboy * who jealously covets his meager status on this message board. So, Please Please, send me your SPAM so that I may be enjoying myself in these mordern world!

???

They're referring to the Super Bowls in the 80s and early 90s.

My quote "QBs dont win SBs all alone - it takes a team effort." still stands ... ;)

Luck commented something to this affect when he was questioned about playing Manning and Brady back to back in the Playoffs the other day.

Manning has never said he's retiring....

In fact....before the Cincy game..he said he would be back if the Broncos would have him

Elway says wants him back......no reason to believe he wont play his final 2 years if he's healthy

True but after the Colts game he did say he was not sure if he was coming back. Most thought it was health and it could be but now you have to wonder if the contemplation has more to do with all the changes in Denver.

Elway clearly believes that Manning will return to a high level of play when his quad heals.  

No. He just knows that even a lousy Manning is still better than Brock. Denver is in a deep pile of manure right now - ownership is in a trust, No HC, Manning coming back up in the air, and a GM who wants the next coach to step in and win the SB in 2015 ..

True but after the Colts game he did say he was not sure if he was coming back. Most thought it was health and it could be but now you have to wonder if the contemplation has more to do with all the changes in Denver.

Did you hear it, though a.m.. He really did not say he was not sure if hes coming back

He was asked four times can you guarantee you are coming back..Can you guarantee it....

Knowing how injured he was...more so than apparently hed admitted..

He said..no I cannot guarantee that...right now...

I think its a stretch to say (as everyone has) that he's considering retirement. But I dont know how badly he's hurt.

They should let Manning go, IMO. All that money, all the energy of focusing the entire team, coaches, players......around an aged QB that has been beat to pieces each of the last two years by January? For a guy that has MAYBE 2 years left? It's not worth it. If Peyton was healthy, sure, he gives them the best chance to win. But that's a huge gamble with a ton of money, time and resources tied into it. 

Probably best to let him go, but it does kinda sooth me to think of Manning taking the field again. It was just so sad to watch him impotently struggle to make decisions he used to make in his sleep. It sucked [HARD] to watch the former master of the 2 minute drill look lost, make bad throws and call poor plays when they needed it most. 

No. He just knows that even a lousy Manning is still better than Brock. Denver is in a deep pile of manure right now - ownership is in a trust, No HC, Manning coming back up in the air, and a GM who wants the next coach to step in and win the SB in 2015 ..

If Manning can't play at a high level there is no way they would even sniff the SB.  

They should let Manning go, IMO. All that money, all the energy of focusing the entire team, coaches, players......around an aged QB that has been beat to pieces each of the last two years by January? For a guy that has MAYBE 2 years left? It's not worth it. If Peyton was healthy, sure, he gives them the best chance to win. But that's a huge gamble with a ton of money, time and resources tied into it. 

Probably best to let him go, but it does kinda sooth me to think of Manning taking the field again. It was just so sad to watch him impotently struggle to make decisions he used to make in his sleep. It sucked [HARD] to watch the former master of the 2 minute drill look lost, make bad throws and call poor plays when they needed it most.

Ruk...I hear you about it being short term hope opposed to long term plans.

But when you are close to the Super Bowl..and they have a team with 7 Pro Bowl players..

..how do you cut the guy you brought in to get you there..? the guy who others signed with you to play with?

The best way I can put it is..with the post=surgery Manning...we are ignoring 2 years and making ;he should decisions based on 2 months when (if you believe what we're told) he was injured.

Manning will play only 2 more years in the best case scenario..but if you cut him to save money and get Brock Osweiler in there...

what are your prospects?... I would hate to see him quit because of a tough stretch. I;m hearing his injury may have been worse than suggested but I would be disappointed if he quits.

But I thought John Elway could still play when he quit and he has said in the years that have since passed that he didn't think he could.

So much "speculation". I have to believe that the "powers that be" already have a good idea of what will transpire. With so many free agents on the team, and the draft coming up, they surely have a plan, and a direction. The rest of us will find out soon enough.

Lots of speculation still going around...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Peyton Manning is still undecided on his future.

Both Manning and the Broncos have another month or so before Peyton has to take his annual physical to lock in his $19 million salary. It appears the Broncos have landed on Gary Kubiak as their next head coach. Manning wanted to sign with Kubiak's Texans ahead of the 2012 season, but Houston was content with Matt Schaub at the time. So, the Kubiak hire would likely be viewed as a positive for Manning. However, Kubiak's West Coast offense doesn't look like a great fit for a 39-year-old quarterback that can't move and escape pressure. Most Broncos writers expect Manning to return for an 18th season.

Lots of speculation still going around...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Peyton Manning is still undecided on his future.

Both Manning and the Broncos have another month or so before Peyton has to take his annual physical to lock in his $19 million salary. It appears the Broncos have landed on Gary Kubiak as their next head coach. Manning wanted to sign with Kubiak's Texans ahead of the 2012 season, but Houston was content with Matt Schaub at the time. So, the Kubiak hire would likely be viewed as a positive for Manning. However, Kubiak's West Coast offense doesn't look like a great fit for a 39-year-old quarterback that can't move and escape pressure. Most Broncos writers expect Manning to return for an 18th season.

That is interesting about Manning wanting to go to the Texans in 2012. I did not know that.

That is interesting about Manning wanting to go to the Texans in 2012. I did not know that.

I had never heard that either. In fact I never even noticed the report saying that. That said , be cognizant to the fact that all Ian Rapoport is reporting is Manning is unsure about 2015. The rest of that report is from some Roto World writer who's identity we don't know.

I should have provided the source when I posted that.