Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elway Wants Manning Back

Fx Stryker

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2015/01/13/john-elway-john-fox-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-future/21696883/

For those who though Elway was done with Peyton. He also said Peyton will have a say in the next head coach.

"Speaking Tuesday, Broncos GM John Elway said he wants Peyton Manning back for 2015, but that he's told Manning to take "four or five weeks" to make his decision.

Elway believes Manning "needs to get away" before deciding whether or not to return for an 18th year in the NFL. Elway also said he'd be talking to Manning during the team's search for a new coach. "Peyton is going to be involved in the process," were Elway's exact words. The early signs suggest Manning will be back for 2015, but it's far from a given. It's unclear how much of a role, if any, the Broncos' replacement for John Fox will factor into Manning's decision. Jan 13 - 2:17 PM"

Edited by Superman
link added

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elway and his staff obviously do not have confidence in Osweiler, whatsoever. Elway has no plan B.

I do think Adam Gase is head coach of the Broncos, if Peyton returns, IMO. They are very very close.

Dan Quinn is said to be Elway's favorite. I don't it's so much Manning gets a say, more than he will be kept in the loop.

Elway said take 4-5 weeks break then we'll talk. But he will communicate about the Broncos with Peyton during that time.

Letting Peyton help decide the coach is a mistake IMO

Elway and his staff obviously do not have confidence in Osweiler, whatsoever. Elway has no plan B.

I do think Adam Gase is head coach of the Broncos, if Peyton returns, IMO. They are very very close.

Why so much jumping to conclusions and speculation?

1) Elway didn't say Manning would help decide the next coach.

2) Any coach or GM in the league would choose Peyton Manning over Brock Osweiler. That doesn't mean the staff doesn't have faith in Osweiler.

2) Any coach or GM in the league would choose Peyton Manning over Brock Osweiler. That doesn't mean the staff doesn't have faith in Osweiler.

According to the statement Elway said Manning would have a say in the next coach. Just saying.

Also

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap3000000457789/Rapoport-Broncos-feel-confident-in-Brock-Osweiler?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

Agree and additonally I don't pay much attention to what he is saying about Manning right now anyway.  What the two of them discuss privately or even what he thinks about Manning is likely to be very different than what is said publicly.  This narrative right now strikes me completely as meaningless.  What is he supposed to day - Manning is done and we don't want him back?  Of course not - even if that is the truth.

I would be shocked if Manning plays next year. 

According to the statement Elway said Manning would have a say in the next coach. Just saying.

What he said was that Manning would be involved in the process. There's a lot of room for interpretation there. Assuming that means he'd have a say is a bit of a stretch.

What he said was that Manning would be involved in the process. There's a lot of room for interpretation there. Assuming that means he'd have a say is a bit of a stretch.

I just know what I read and that is what it said. Read the statement. It specifically said Manning would have a say in the next coach. I guess we can all interpret the meaning, all I know is what is written.

I just know what I read and that is what it said. Read the statement. It specifically said Manning would have a say in the next coach. I guess we can all interpret the meaning, all I know is what is written.

What statement are you talking about? Do you have a link?

At the top of the page. You even edited it.

Yeah, Elway is quoted as saying Peyton is going to be involved in the process. The article says he'll be consulted, because coaching candidates will want to know where he is.

There's a speculative leap between those words and the assumption that Peyton will "have a say" or "help decide" the next coach, as if Elway is going to ask him if this guy is okay, or if that guy is okay.

Yeah, Elway is quoted as saying Peyton is going to be involved in the process. The article says he'll be consulted, because coaching candidates will want to know where he is.

There's a speculative leap between those words and the assumption that Peyton will "have a say" or "help decide" the next coach, as if Elway is going to ask him if this guy is okay, or if that guy is okay.

Of coarse Elway wants Manning back but I think he's screwed. Manning will be close to 40 when the 2015 playoffs begin. Good "luck" with that one but what else can he do now? 

Of coarse Elway wants Manning back but I think he's screwed. Manning will be close to 40 when the 2015 playoffs begin. Good "luck" with that one but what else can he do now?

Brett Favre was 40 when the Vikings went to the NFCCG.

If they have to move on, they have to move on. Eventually, that's the case. They have Osweiler. They can draft a QB, won't be an immediate franchise level guy but that's okay. The question is whether they'd rather give it another go with Manning, or start that transition now. To me, their best shot is with Manning.

Brett Favre was 40 when the Vikings went to the NFCCG.

If they have to move on, they have to move on. Eventually, that's the case. They have Osweiler. They can draft a QB, won't be an immediate franchise level guy but that's okay. The question is whether they'd rather give it another go with Manning, or start that transition now. To me, their best shot is with Manning.

Favre had a cannon for an arm while PM never had a big arm. I think you need to look at the other great QB's and see which ones were still playing at 40.. yet alone playing well.... Maybe just Moon and Favre ? But maybe the 50 years of my observations will prove wrong but I'll go by what I've seen. Too old , not enough arm and probably won't hold up. Problem Elway has is all his pieces are in place now and he will be tight against the cap. So he's in his "window" with a maybe an "over ripe " QB or one that;s not ready. Tough spot IMO.

Favre had a cannon for an arm while PM never had a big arm. I think you need to look at the other great QB's and see which ones were still playing at 40.. yet alone playing well.... Maybe just Moon and Favre ? But maybe the 50 years of my observations will prove wrong but I'll go by what I've seen. Too old , not enough arm and probably won't hold up. Problem Elway has is all his pieces are in place now and he will be tight against the cap. So he's in his "window" with a maybe an "over ripe " QB or one that;s not ready. Tough spot IMO.

I agree and you also have to look at the alternative too. Not sure what Denver does at QB without Manning unless they feel really good about Brock. Hard to tell but most don't feel Elway thinks he is the guy. So maybe you give it another year with Manning but if your goal is to really win the SB I think you move on.

Ive rewatched everyone of this throws this past game - some into triple coverage and the weren't off by much. I'm confident that they media is clearly creating/hyping another story - specially if he really has been playing with a torn quad!

Guessing Manning wanted to do things one way and Fox another ... Fox is out wonder who Peyton wants as a coach? Player / Coach? Now that would be news!

I agree and you also have to look at the alternative too. Not sure what Denver does at QB without Manning unless they feel really good about Brock. Hard to tell but most don't feel Elway thinks he is the guy. So maybe you give it another year with Manning but if your goal is to really win the SB I think you move on.

Yeah and It's a real complicated issue to try to figure out how long the Broncos "window" would figure to be. I'm not smart or motivated enough to try to figure out how "all in" the Broncos went signing all those impact players. Plus I think they have around 17 incoming free agents. Right off the bat they'll save on Welker , but both Thomas guys need to be resigned and the WR will cost around 12 mill per year minimum. IMO , I think unless he (Elway) has some really nice drafts or PM does what Ponce De Leon couldn't .. he's painted himself into a corner. The window with Manning was (IMO) 3 years and it's gone now.

... Fox is out wonder who Peyton wants as a coach? Player / Coach? Now that would be news!

This is just my opinion, but I think Elway, Manning and Gase wanted to keep the same high scoring, fast paced offense that worked so well for them last year, and Fox wanted the slower moving, more plays, burn time off the clock play.   I think that is why he is gone.  And I think they will want someone on the same wave length with them.   Not sure who that will be.

Yeah and It's a real complicated issue to try to figure out how long the Broncos "window" would figure to be. I'm not smart or motivated enough to try to figure out how "all in" the Broncos went signing all those impact players. Plus I think they have around 17 incoming free agents. Right off the bat they'll save on Welker , but both Thomas guys need to be resigned and the WR will cost around 12 mill per year minimum. IMO , I think unless he (Elway) has some really nice drafts or PM does what Ponce De Leon couldn't .. he's painted himself into a corner. The window with Manning was (IMO) 3 years and it's gone now.

Without Manning, they are in the same boat as every other team that is searching for a starting QB ... wonder if Elway has had his eye on someone either coming out of college or a current QB that he would trade for. There are no quality FAs this off-season.

Without Manning, they are in the same boat as every other team that is searching for a starting QB ... wonder if Elway has had his eye on someone either coming out of college or a current QB that he would trade for. There are no quality FAs this off-season.

Pretty hard to find good QB's 

Pretty hard to find good QB's 

Yeah and that must kill Elway. I have always believed he was the model QB in terms of his arm strength, size, mobility, clutch. He has no weakness. Now imagine trying to find yourself out there? He must throw up a little in his mouth when he watches Mariota and Winston.

Yeah and that must kill Elway. I have always believed he was the model QB in terms of his arm strength, size, mobility, clutch. He has no weakness. Now imagine trying to find yourself out there? He must throw up a little in his mouth when he watches Mariota and Winston.

IMO , John Elway was the only guy to just carry  teams to SB's. Not the two he won but the ones Denver lost. I'm with you on Mariota , I don't think he has an NFL arm. Winston has talent but not sure he's accurate enough.

Good point about the arm. I still contend that Manning has enough arm to be effective. We're talking about how "done" he is after a season in which he threw for 4,700 yards (second best in his career) and 39 TDs (third best in his career) with a 66% completion rate. Had a higher TD percentage and adjusted yards/attempt than his career averages. That's still top tier production out of the QB position, and that's despite an underwhelming final six weeks.

Also, the Broncos are constructed in a way that they can easily tear down so that they can build back up. Everyone they've signed can be disposed of with little negative impact on the cap. If they wanted to tank and save some money and get a high draft pick, they could (not that they should or would, but it would be easy). All the primary pieces Elway has in place are prime years guys, the only older players are Manning and Ware.

The question is simply about Manning, IMO. If you take Elway at his word that he wants him back -- and I do -- then they can reconfigure their roster as they see fit, and make another go at it.

Good point about the arm. I still contend that Manning has enough arm to be effective. We're talking about how "done" he is after a season in which he threw for 4,700 yards (second best in his career) and 39 TDs (third best in his career) with a 66% completion rate. Had a higher TD percentage and adjusted yards/attempt than his career averages. That's still top tier production out of the QB position, and that's despite an underwhelming final six weeks.

Also, the Broncos are constructed in a way that they can easily tear down so that they can build back up. Everyone they've signed can be disposed of with little negative impact on the cap. If they wanted to tank and save some money and get a high draft pick, they could (not that they should or would, but it would be easy). All the primary pieces Elway has in place are prime years guys, the only older players are Manning and Ware.

The question is simply about Manning, IMO. If you take Elway at his word that he wants him back -- and I do -- then they can reconfigure their roster as they see fit, and make another go at it.

I used to follow professional boxing years back. My dad was a fighter easily in his life and the little town I lived in (Canasota NY ) had two world champions. What happens to an "old" prize fighter is they see an opening and they can't make their hands move quickly enough to deliver the punch while the opening is there. Same thing with evading punches. The mind works fine but the message from the brain to the muscles .. nerves.. that sets it off gets too slow. They used to say they "couldn't get off anymore." This would happen usually between ages 36-38. And it would be pretty quick . Ali was the best and all of a sudden it was suicide for him to be in the ring. Guys lose it and when you start seeing signs , it's in most cases quickly over. Manning was still accurate and was delivering balls to undoubtably 3 tremendous weapons early 2014. He fell off really big time in the last 6 or so games. Had a poor showing vs Buffalo even before the injury at SD. I guess Denver will hope that somehow his 40 year old body holds up (it didn't this year) , has no more arm strength loss, does not play meaningful games in cold windy weather and he always will have 3 great target s to throw to. We don't even know if it was the quad injury that made him look so bad. 

That's JMO and you could be right. I think we shall see as I think he comes back.

Marino, though even he couldn't help the Dolphins actually win it.

I really don't remember watching the year Marino got there. No doubt he carried them and I was going to mention that. I just didn't think it quite compared to Elway as John did it 3 times and that's not counting the 2 he won. Are you old enough to have watched those games Denevr beat Cleveland to advance to the SB ? It really was a one man show...

Its a big drop off from Peyton Manning to Brock Osweiller. Even bad/injured Peyton is probably better. I do wonder why they didn't rest him the last couple games of the year but I guess that bye was important. If his injuries were just a bruised thigh etc he would have been fine for the Colts game.....clearly it was much much worse. I think Elway and Peyton come back for another year....give him a shot at being healthy and take a run at things. This team will look differently but I think they try to build on CJ Anderson and DT/Sanders and that secondary was good (except against us yes). PM is slowing a bit but he is still better than 90% of the qbs in the league. I think Elway brought in Talib and Ware expecting a 2 yr window so he probably has plans and they would likely still include Manning. A healthy Manning was the MVP of the league last year and for 2/3 the season pro bowl caliber. Your not going to find that off the street. I think its clear the young guys are starting to take over...the Wilsons, Lucks, Rodgers, Flaccos are going to be the cream of the league soon.....well once Brady gets old.....if he ever does....seem Giselle has the fountain of youth she slipping him while he sleeps.

And there have been older qbs be quite effective. Warner didn't have a cannon arm and even Vinny Testeverde and Joe Montana played until he was up there and was decent. Clearly Manning has a higher level to come down from but eventually even he is going to have to call it a night....and go play with his kids. I think we have one more year to admire his skills...and then say goodbye.

I used to follow professional boxing years back. My dad was a fighter easily in his life and the little town I lived in (Canasota NY ) had two world champions. What happens to an "old" prize fighter is they see an opening and they can't make their hands move quickly enough to deliver the punch while the opening is there. Same thing with evading punches. The mind works fine but the message from the brain to the muscles .. nerves.. that sets it off gets too slow. They used to say they "couldn't get off anymore." This would happen usually between ages 36-38. And it would be pretty quick . Ali was the best and all of a sudden it was suicide for him to be in the ring. Guys lose it and when you start seeing signs , it's in most cases quickly over. Manning was still accurate and was delivering balls to undoubtably 3 tremendous weapons early 2014. He fell off really big time in the last 6 or so games. Had a poor showing vs Buffalo even before the injury at SD. I guess Denver will hope that somehow his 40 year old body holds up (it didn't this year) , has no more arm strength loss, does not play meaningful games in cold windy weather and he always will have 3 great target s to throw to. We don't even know if it was the quad injury that made him look so bad. 

That's JMO and you could be right. I think we shall see as I think he comes back.

All good points.

If you can run the ball in cold, windy weather, and you have a physical and aggressive defense, then you can get through those games. 

I also wonder if it's accurate to say his body didn't hold up. That's like saying Rodgers body didn't hold up. He got hurt. The Broncos also made a conscious effort to run the ball more effectively. Julius Thomas got hurt. Emmanuel Sanders was hurt. And they went 5-1. 

I really don't remember watching the year Marino got there. No doubt he carried them and I was going to mention that. I just didn't think it quite compared to Elway as John did it 3 times and that's not counting the 2 he won. Are you old enough to have watched those games Denevr beat Cleveland to advance to the SB ? It really was a one man show...

Elway did more with less than anyone I have ever seen.

//Which means that Manning is going to return..if he's not hurt permanently..

///Denver has a half dozen players who came to Denver to play with Peyton...

If he's OK, he'll be back and the coach doesn't matter as much as the offensive coordinator