Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JC will be back for two reasons:

1. He's still under contract and we can't afford to pay multiple head coaches, and

2. He'll be given a chance with a QB to prove whether this year was a fluke or not

Yes, and "well informed experts" aren't writing anything about changes in HC position at Colts.

I'm afraid he will be back next year.

probably because deals were made...get us the #1 pick and your job is safe.

I agree if you want Luck to sign with us, you may want to tip your hand a bit and show we're making moves.

If you are thinking Rob Ryan for head coach at the end of the season, then it makes sense to wait....but I'm thinking Rob Ryan for Defensive coordinator so I see no need to wait.

Whay Rob Ryan? He's a cartoon character like Rex, and we already have had 2 D coaches where the playesr give up almost 30 points a game. As long as Colts managemnet contiune to pick smurf size players, the D will stink up the joint.

And with our blue and white uniforms the illusion is complete!

LA LA Lalalalaaaaaaaa laaaa la la la laaaaaaa! (Smurf Song)

If only they were POWDER blue like those god awful Charger throwbacks.

The Luck's may not decide to come to Indy knowing Caldwell may indeed still be the HC. This organization has no bravo to them. I f they did, Caldwell would have been canned already. What a laughing stock.

What makes you think the Lucks have any issue with Caldwell?

I think JC will be back for two reasons:

1. He's still under contract and we can't afford to pay multiple head coaches, and

2. He'll be given a chance with a QB to prove whether this year was a fluke or not

how long was his contract for? i could be totally wrong, but i thought his first contract was for 3 years?? was it for longer? if it WAS for three years, than we wouldnt even have to fire him! we would just not sign him to another contract and hire someone else (im all for fisher myself). if somebody could fill me in on caldwell's contract length, i would really appreciate it!!

probably because deals were made...get us the #1 pick and your job is safe.

I agree if you want Luck to sign with us, you may want to tip your hand a bit and show we're making moves.

If you are thinking Rob Ryan for head coach at the end of the season, then it makes sense to wait....but I'm thinking Rob Ryan for Defensive coordinator so I see no need to wait.

I think the only way the Colts have a chance to get RR is to offer him a HC position, otherwise the Colts aren't offering anything more than Dallas. My question is he more mature than his brother?

what adjustments do you want them to make? Our offense is set up to do 1 thing and 1 thing only. You are stuck with it and unless you have the talent of Peyton to operate it, you get what we have. Exactly what or how could they have changed it?

I want the coaching staff to actually make adjustments that fit our current personnel. You know, what all other NFL staffs attempt to do on a weekly basis. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend? Why is this not what you want them to do? You realize, not adjusting has turned the Colts into a laughing stock, right? Do you really think that running the same offense and defense they would with Peyton is what they should be doing without him? If so, then I'm not even sure what to say in response...

31 other offenses run an offense without manning...

simplify or get CREATIVE, change things up on the defense so theyre not always playing soft, get aggressive, have a gameplan, be an NFL coach

look at what san fran did for Alex Smith, look at what denver is doing for tebow...

Indeed...and herein the coaching staffs' ability/willingness to do this lies 0 wins and counting. I'll never understand what I've seen on the field this year. I was expecting 3-6 wins, so expectations were low but I had enough confidence in JC to make adjustments that would allow us to at least be a middle/late top 10 pick in the draft. Not changing in the face of such adversity is just plain irresponsible, short-sided, and inexplicable, particularly when everyone knew that no one else besides PM could thrive under the offensive/defensive schemes.

I think the only way the Colts have a chance to get RR is to offer him a HC position, otherwise the Colts aren't offering anything more than Dallas. My question is he more mature than his brother?

He seems more mature, but then again, he is a Ryan.

This is now the general manager's league. It is easy to fire one coach but it is hard to find his replacement that obeys the order of his GM. Caldwell is Polians' puppy and it can be seen from how they delt with the QB situation and how they let Tryon leave. Only when the GM himself is on the hot seat would he take some actions cutting the tie with his puppy just to secure himself. So far there is no sign the Polians are in any danger.

A 4 year deal, then that is bad news for Colts fans. That menas Bill, Cris and Tweet Man Jim will keep him around 1 more year. They will not pay 2 HC's salary. 4 years WOW; I remember their reasoning was ownership was afraid another team was going to scoop him up as Caldwell was the next Lombardai. I bet Dungy had a lot to say who to hand pick too, and of course being a Yes Compnay Man, who better then Caldwell.

Firing Caldwell now would just be a cheap FO stunt and a morale buster.

I'm more upset with Ray Rychleski than I am with Caldwell.

Can anyone provide a few good candidates for special teams coach? Otherwise, all this new HC talk is just a time wasting guessing game.

I want the coaching staff to actually make adjustments that fit our current personnel. You know, what all other NFL staffs attempt to do on a weekly basis. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend? Why is this not what you want them to do? You realize, not adjusting has turned the Colts into a laughing stock, right? Do you really think that running the same offense and defense they would with Peyton is what they should be doing without him? If so, then I'm not even sure what to say in response...

Indeed...and herein the coaching staffs' ability/willingness to do this lies 0 wins and counting. I'll never understand what I've seen on the field this year. I was expecting 3-6 wins, so expectations were low but I had enough confidence in JC to make adjustments that would allow us to at least be a middle/late top 10 pick in the draft. Not changing in the face of such adversity is just plain irresponsible, short-sided, and inexplicable, particularly when everyone knew that no one else besides PM could thrive under the offensive/defensive schemes.

You want them to adjust? How? You have built an offense to play one way. You can not cram a square peg into a round hole no matter how hard you try. Exactly what do you want them to do? You want change, so what kind of change? run the ball more? Our offense isn't built to run the ball that much. Change pass routes? What does it matter if your QB can't get them the ball? Play a new style of defense? Sure but if you don't have the talent to do it, what is the point. The Colts drafted specific players to play one way. Now you expect them to just change things up like that? NFL teams just can't change like that. Denver is winning because of schedule and defense, not their offense.

Why do we think people in the media are not talking about Caldwell being fired? NBC pro football, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, and local media like the Indy Star all have articles about Caldwell being gone at the end of the season or at least "should be worried." I just did a Google search and those sites popped up. It is understood that he is gone, and this board is the only place that seems to think he might stay.

Go Colts!

I've been thinking about this for a while. Who should the Colts hire as the full time defensive coordinator? Yeah, guys like Del Rio are there and they would probably do alright. But I'm going to go outside the box on this one. What does everyone think on:

1. Bob Sanders. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, but he does know our team/defense well. He also has an aggressive mindset, which is missing from our coaching staff. I'm a little iffy on giving him the defensive coordinator spot to start since he has no experience coaching in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the DB coach or defensive quality control coach or something to that effect, then getting promoted if he does well.

2. Warren Sapp. Our DT play (from what I've seen) is poor, something he could fix. He has also been on one of the greatest defenses ever in the 2002 Bucs, so he knows what it takes to be successful and work together as a good defensive unit. He also has a pretty aggressive mentality and he seems like he can a player's coach, but also knows when it's time to get down to business (this is just going off of what I've seen/heard from him on NFL Network and No Huddle, so it could all be incorrect). He also played in a similar system to ours, the Tampa 2, so he would know what works and what doesn't.

What do you guys think? Feel free to add anyone else you would like to see.

First you can't approach another teams coaching staff during the season because it would be considered tampering. The reason you fire a coach midseason to see if new leadership can get the team inspired, ie Frank Vogel of the Pacers. I am of the opinion that there is nobody on the current staff worthy of being a head coach so firing Caldwell won't accomplish anything. I am also of the opinion that Jim Irsay needs to fire the Polians and the coaching staff. As far as a front office replacements I'm in the dark, hopefully Jimmy would have some ideas. When Dungy left I was hoping for Jim Harbaugh but I figured it would happen because Polian is the one who ran Harbaugh out of town. Jim has a coaching pedigree and he turned 2 bottom of the conference college teams into conference contenders. Not sure anybody really stands out in the Pros and college looks even more bleak. The only person out of college I would consider is Les Steckle at LSU. He took over a program made good by Lou Saban and has not let it deteriorate so he is doing something right.

I really doubt Sapp would want to take a pay cut from his cush studio gig, to spend the amount of time required to be a coach in NFL. He belongs in the booth as a talking head. Not saying he'd be a bad coach, but I just don't see him taking that job.

Sanders on the other hand I would love to have here as a coach. I agree that he might not be up to par as a DC, but he would make a good DB coach. Maybe teach our guys how to stick a man at the LOS, rather than giving up easy 10 yard catches every single play.

I hate to throw the Del Rio name out there, but he had a pretty stout defense in J-ville. Not sure if it was on him or the DC though.

But who are we kidding? The Tampa 2 works. Even if we bring in another DC, they will be employed by Lord Polian and will have their own defensive playbook thrown down the crapper.

I want Caldwell gone, but not before the season ends. If we fire him now, and promote Christenson or Murphy, we'll just have another Yes man for Polian to pull the strings with.

In my heart of hearts, based on his Twittering, I feel Irsay is going to make some noise this offseason. If you look at all the things he's Twittered, about how all things will be considered after the season, and saying that we need to 'handle ourselves better', it just looks like things might not be going swimmingly in the FO. I see Polian, Caldwell, and Christenson gone. Murphy will go back to LB coach. Bring in Mike Zimmer as HC, Del Rio as DC, we'll have to look around for our new GM, and heck my grandma can call plays for the offense as long as Big P's back.

and heck my grandma can call plays for the offense as long as Big P's back.

Do people really believe that it's this easy to be an offensive coordinator in the NFL? If so, why fire Christensen in the first place? Anyone can be the offensive coordinator as long as we have Peyton, right?

Sapp as a defensive line coach, sure. Not as a coordinator. No thank you. I'd prefer someone who has game management experience at coordinator.

Yeah, I agree with you and the others. He has no coaching experience in the NFL, so giving him the DC position right off the bat wouldn't be a smart move. But bring him in as some kind of coach and see if he does well, and if he does, promote him

If Polian and Caldwell are still there next season, i will lose faith in Colts ownership.

Irrespective of players situation, they both need to go.

Its highly disrespectful for the fan who follow this team if they arent let go.

Its high time, Irsay listens to fans voice and make sensible decisions.