Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

So we complain that we built a team and a strategy around one player's strengths: those belonging to Peyton Manning.

Then the Broncos do the same for Tebow.

It's bad to build around one player's strengths when it suits our argument to fire everyone. It's good to build around one player's strengths when it suits our argument to....fire everyone.

Can't have it both ways, folks.

This is a great point. I personally have no problem with the Colts building the offense around PM, which is exactly what the Broncos are doing with Tebow (PM and Tebow obviously have much different skill sets). Where I do have a problem is the lack of ability of the coaching staff to adjust on the offensive and defensive side of the ball in the absence of PM. If Tebow was injured, and Quinn became the starter, Denver's offense would look a lot different than it does now.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we complain that we built a team and a strategy around one player's strengths: those belonging to Peyton Manning.

It's bad to build around one player's strengths when it suits our argument to fire everyone. It's good to build around one player's strengths when it suits our argument to....fire everyone.

I suppose that mindset isn't particular to some Colts 'Fans'.

The same is being said here in Chicago now that Cutler is gone.

Makes me laugh.

Hopefully Bill Polian gets asked about all these firings tonight on his show. It would be interesting to read between the lines and predict what he's going to do. IE, if he responds with "Caldwell is doing a great job, great gameplan again, great effort; that hasn't even entered our mind," it's obvious that he won't be fired before the season is ended.

With KC and Miami firing their head coaches, it occurred to me that now there are going to be at least three teams needing a head coach. Assuming that Caldwell has no future with the Colts, and I pray to God that he doesn't, then wouldn't it make sense to start pursuing a replacement now rather than later? With three other teams in competition for a few quality individuals out there and available, I would hope that we don't miss out because we waited until it was too late.

What do you guys think? Is this a valid concern or not? Food for thought at any rate....

Denver adapted their game for Tebow, Indy has had Peyton for over a decade. Show me where Indy adapted to anything. Tebow started the season as a third string QB, your argument has no merit.

PS - Sorry Buck, just realized you beat me to the punch.

Denver adapted their game for Tebow, Indy has had Peyton for over a decade. Show me where Indy adapted to anything. Tebow started the season as a third string QB, your argument has no merit.

PS - Sorry Buck, just realized you beat me to the punch.

You're wasting your time. Doogan doesn't ever respond. He just likes to pull drivebys where he looks down his nose at the fans here.

To me at this point why fire the coach now, wait till after the season, it's not like you are going to hire your guy right now. You have to wonder if Miami fired their guy worried KC would scoop up the guy they want.

As for Caldwell...again don't be surprised if he is back next year....

huge difference between fans applauding Fox for adjusting his gamplean to suit Tebows strengths, and Colts fans complaining about a team being built around 18... Fox made mid-season adjustments to suit his offense... Colts knew at beginning of the season 18 would be out, where are the adjustments???

what adjustments do you want them to make? Our offense is set up to do 1 thing and 1 thing only. You are stuck with it and unless you have the talent of Peyton to operate it, you get what we have. Exactly what or how could they have changed it?

With KC and Miami firing their head coaches, it occurred to me that now there are going to be at least three teams needing a head coach. Assuming that Caldwell has no future with the Colts, and I pray to God that he doesn't, then wouldn't it make sense to start pursuing a replacement now rather than later? With three other teams in competition for a few quality individuals out there and available, I would hope that we don't miss out because we waited until it was too late.

What do you guys think? Is this a valid concern or not? Food for thought at any rate....

I don't get it. I am really starting to get the sick feeling he is going to get a pass,if for no other reason, he is the ultimate yes man. I do believe this franchise needs a dynamic coach with some swagger. I just don't think Polian will hire a coach with a bigger voice than his. I truly think BP like being the heard voice of the Colts.

I don't know. Unless you're going to target a college coach, it doesn't really give you too much of a leg up on the competition. And all the good college coaches are preparing for bowl games right now.

I think the reason we need to fire Caldwell now is because we're 0-13, we've made zero adjustments the past two weeks, we continually fall behind by two or three scores in the first half, and our players are playing their hearts out. Has nothing to do with the timing of finding a replacement. I personally think the search for a new coach should be exhaustive, so I'm not too worried about the timing of the hire.

My short list includes Chris Peterson, Brian Billick, Chuck Pagano and Mike Mularkey. Three of the four are occupied right now.

Simple, the odds of Caldwell being replaced might be 50/50 at best, and second should he be replaced, no one that either Miami or KC would be looking at would ever be considered by the Colts.

what adjustments do you want them to make? Our offense is set up to do 1 thing and 1 thing only. You are stuck with it and unless you have the talent of Peyton to operate it, you get what we have. Exactly what or how could they have changed it?

31 other offenses run an offense without manning...

simplify or get CREATIVE, change things up on the defense so theyre not always playing soft, get aggressive, have a gameplan, be an NFL coach

look at what san fran did for Alex Smith, look at what denver is doing for tebow...

Because they are not the type of coaches that Bill Polian would consider. Do you see Jon Gruden or Bill Cower or others like that working for Bill Polian?

This is probably a pipe dream, but I would hope that Bill Polian and Jim Irsay would consider any and every coach that's available and has any semblance of success on his record. That includes Jeff Fisher, a guy I seriously hope we don't hire because I don't think he's that good, but due diligence requires you consider all the angles. I'd like to see them reach to every corner of the country, on every major level of the sport, and know that they hired the guy that suited the team best, not see them avoid certain "personalities" because there could be some strife there.

That said, I don't understand why you've decided that the only coaches the Chiefs and Dolphins will be considering are the big name coaches whose names get thrown out there for every vacancy. I would assume that the Chiefs and Dolphins would do the same thing I just said I hope the Colts do. There's also the issue of the Jaguars, and whatever other vacancies there might be by the end of the season (hot seat candidates include Leslie Frazier, Steve Spagnuolo, Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan). There might be a tangible benefit to getting the jump on other teams. That's got to be part of the reason teams are getting rid of coaches now.

Why would you fire your coach now? that makes no sense what so ever.. and those organizations that have done that just shows how lacking they are, you wait to see whats out there, you dont just fire your coach in mid season when teams are still playing.. wait till the off season where you know teams will evaluate their coaches and make releases then you go and pick up your head coach.. whats the point of firing him now?... just to make him feel bad about himself and how he handled things? cause thats the only possible effect you will have.

This is probably a pipe dream, but I would hope that Bill Polian and Jim Irsay would consider any and every coach that's available and has any semblance of success on his record. That includes Jeff Fisher, a guy I seriously hope we don't hire because I don't think he's that good, but due diligence requires you consider all the angles. I'd like to see them reach to every corner of the country, on every major level of the sport, and know that they hired the guy that suited the team best, not see them avoid certain "personalities" because there could be some strife there.

That said, I don't understand why you've decided that the only coaches the Chiefs and Dolphins will be considering are the big name coaches whose names get thrown out there for every vacancy. I would assume that the Chiefs and Dolphins would do the same thing I just said I hope the Colts do. There's also the issue of the Jaguars, and whatever other vacancies there might be by the end of the season (hot seat candidates include Leslie Frazier, Steve Spagnuolo, Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan). There might be a tangible benefit to getting the jump on other teams. That's got to be part of the reason teams are getting rid of coaches now.

both Dolphins and Chiefs tried the "assistant" route and well it did not go very well. Both are HUGE NFL markets who will want big names to get things turned around. Polian isn't really a big name guy, so if Caldwell does go, I see him looking for either someone already on staff to take over of look for a mid level guy who has been a cordinator...

The Colts(office, coaches) have already taken their lumps in the court of public opinion and rightly so. They deserve all the criticism leveled at them for not making adjustments, doing something different, etc.... That said i agree with the other posters on mentioning whats the point with 3 games left. No one publicly says this but if you were to change coaches now, even interim, they could go on a 3 game winning streak and really what does that buy you as a team except for possibly missing out on the chance to draft another smart, good QB.........JMO

Why would you fire your coach now? that makes no sense what so ever.. and those organizations that have done that just shows how lacking they are, you wait to see whats out there, you dont just fire your coach in mid season when teams are still playing.. wait till the off season where you know teams will evaluate their coaches and make releases then you go and pick up your head coach.. whats the point of firing him now?... just to make him feel bad about himself and how he handled things? cause thats the only possible effect you will have.

I think he'll feel bad about getting fired no matter when you do it. He should feel bad already, seeing as how he's the coach of a team that hasn't won a game in three months. It's not your job to protect his self-esteem. It's your job to steward the franchise. If you think changing coaches now can help you either win now or prove to your players that 0-13 isn't acceptable, then you do it now. Has nothing to do with how the coach might feel. As a matter of fact, it might help him land another job before positions fill up.

Also, firing your coach now has nothing to do with what other teams do with their coaches. If you're going to fire him, what's the point in waiting? If you've already made your mind up, he's lame duck anyways.

I don't think the front office has their minds made up just yet, though. Which sort of bothers me.

If the Colt's want to win a game this year he has got to go now.Whatever it is he is selling,they ain't buying.Coaches with far more wins have already got canned.This guy should have never been hired in the first place,the only reason he was is because he is a yes man to the Polians.As long as they are around,no good coach is going to want anything to do with us.There is no excuse for the garbage they put on the field and the fact they cannot win 1 darn game without one player.

One of the things that can be an advantage for the colts, is that they have the number one pick, and probably will draft Andrew Luck.

And do they fire caldwell, I think that any coach whether it's an a-list or other type of coach, would prefer to take a job i Indianapolis, before a job i Miami, Kansas or Jacksonville or even in San Diego.

But I think the colts and Polian's will let caldwell have another shot, with manning or with Luck to see if this just was a terrible season due to injuries, like manning's

Når det så er sagt, så er Manning og Colts bare det fedeste hold i verden..:-)

God Jul og Godt nytår, her fra Danmark..:-)

both Dolphins and Chiefs tried the "assistant" route and well it did not go very well. Both are HUGE NFL markets who will want big names to get things turned around. Polian isn't really a big name guy, so if Caldwell does go, I see him looking for either someone already on staff to take over of look for a mid level guy who has been a cordinator...

Polian hasn't made a coaching decision here in awhile (Dungy was a big name, but he was mostly Irsay's choice; Caldwell was Dungy's appointee, so neither of those are really Polian's picks). Mora was a bit of a name. I don't know that we can say he's NOT a big name guy. That seems like supposition at best.

Even still, like I said, I would think both teams would be doing their due diligence and hiring the best fit for them, whether that's a well-known guy, an assistant, a college coach, whatever. Seems odd to suggest that they won't consider hiring any assistants because the coaches they just fired were assistants. I doubt that's how any NFL team makes head coach decisions.

Polian hasn't made a coaching decision here in awhile (Dungy was a big name, but he was mostly Irsay's choice; Caldwell was Dungy's appointee, so neither of those are really Polian's picks). Mora was a bit of a name. I don't know that we can say he's NOT a big name guy. That seems like supposition at best.

Even still, like I said, I would think both teams would be doing their due diligence and hiring the best fit for them, whether that's a well-known guy, an assistant, a college coach, whatever. Seems odd to suggest that they won't consider hiring any assistants because the coaches they just fired were assistants. I doubt that's how any NFL team makes head coach decisions.

big name coaches carry a certain flair and history with them.

1. Will he feel better himself after a 0-16 season?

2. Which team would hire a 0-16 Coach?

Anyway You are right. He should have been fired after New Orleans disaster, but know...? It would make no difference firing him right now or 3 games later.