Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was it appropriate for Irsay to comment on Luck/Manning decision?

MJD42

Was wondering how Colts fans felt about Irsay talking about the Luck/Manning decision after yesterday's game. I really thought it was inappropriate and it felt kind of bush league to me. Him trumpeting his right decision after just beating Manning with Manning's career winding down. What do others think?

Was wondering how Colts fans felt about Irsay talking about the Luck/Manning decision after yesterday's game. I really thought it was inappropriate and it felt kind of bush league to me. Him trumpeting his right decision after just beating Manning with Manning's career winding down. What do others think?

Who cares.

If he was asked about it, and I think he was, then it is fine.

He was asked a question, he answered it. It's not like he was like "oh yeah, by the way....." He could have said, "no comment" but if he doesn't stick to his guns and answer the question then he will continuously be pestered about it.

He was asked a question, he answered it. It's not like he was like "oh yeah, by the way....." He could have said, "no comment" but if he doesn't stick to his guns and answer the question then he will continuously be pestered about it.

Sure, I guess. But not like he has not talked about it ad nauseum before. I just thought the timing was inappropriate and his level of detail like he was still patting himself on the back. He could have just said, "We are happy to have Andrew Luck as our QB and it was a great win today and Manning was a great QB for us for a long time." Why rehash all the details and talk about how Peyton said it was the football gods that determined his release. Felt like he was belaboring it to me.

A true professional doesn't comment on the subject, but I don't know exactly what was said, although I don't see a problem with saying he made the right decision!  He obviously did make the correct decision, so is somebody really wanting to criticize him for making a smart business move?  If he is asked about it, then I don't see anything wrong with it, unless he comments on Mannings terrible performance of the game and history of losing in the playoffs.  Let's not make this a big deal because it isn't!

Sure, I guess. But not like he has not talked about it ad nauseum before. I just thought the timing was inappropriate and his level of detail like he was still patting himself on the back. He could have just said, "We are happy to have Andrew Luck as our QB and it was a great win today and Manning was a great QB for us for a long time." Why rehash all the details and talk about how Peyton said it was the football gods that determined his release. Felt like he was belaboring it to me.

It would have been easy to respond with the politically correct response, but that's one of the things I love about Irsay, he will tell you how he feels about something, especially when asked, I respect a person more when they tell me how they truly feel, not some PC jibberish. Andrew chose not to answer because it was out of his hands, what could he have done about it? I love Peyton, hated to see him go, that was a day I will never forget, but it was the right move, and the proof is in the pudding!!!!!!!!

It would have been easy to respond with the politically correct response, but that's one of the things I love about Irsay, he will tell you how he feels about something, especially when asked, I respect a person more when they tell me how they truly feel, not some PC jibberish. Andrew chose not to answer because it was out of his hands, what could he have done about it? I love Peyton, hated to see him go, that was a day I will never forget, but it was the right move, and the proof is in the pudding!!!!!!!!

This.

It wasn't Luck's decision.

Sure but I felt like Irsay really belabored it. It is not like he had not been asked a million times before. I am not even a Colts fan and I can recite the whole thing verbatim. Just felt inappropriate to me like he was rubbing it in to Manning after he just suffered a brutal loss ...

Sure but I felt like Irsay really belabored it. It is not like he had not been asked a million times before. I am not even a Colts fan and I can recite the whole thing verbatim. Just felt inappropriate to me like he was rubbing it in to Manning after he just suffered a brutal loss ...

Oh well, Peyton will have to rub some dirt on it.

People keep asking him the question, he's going to keep answering it. As many others have said, it's not like he brought it up unprompted. And again, the difference between him answering the question and Luck's declining to comment is that Irsay actually made the decision. 

That doesn't bother me as much as a pats fan posting a thread about the Manning decision and judging our owner the day after we just saw our past and present qbs on the same field of play and felt both happy and sad at the same time

Now that's what I call inappropriate

And don't you find it a little cheesy that Sal Paolantonio felt the need to ask that question...again....under those circumstances?

Because I would have preferred a more "Bill Parcells-style" answer from Irsay, along the lines of...

"Hey, Sal....instead of trying to stir up :censored2: , why don't you ask me something I haven't answered a million times before?"

Seriously, this business of the media pitting QB v QB....whether it pertains to game matchups (they don't face each other on the field), individual career achievements (in a TEAM sport), and even front office roster decisions (that the players have limited, if any, control over)....is nothing but the media laying landmines to get a story. And why some fans continue to swallow the bait...hook, line and sinker....I don't know.

Jim Irsay simply restated the very same rationale for the Manning to Luck roster decision that he gave the day Manning was released....and that Peyton himself fully understood. He maintained that the rationale for the decision was singularly focused on the future good of the TEAM.

Probably the very same motivation for Luck's non-answer.

That doesn't bother me as much as a pats fan posting a thread about the Manning decision and judging our owner the day after we just saw our past and present qbs on the same field of play and felt both happy and sad at the same time

Kind of 'Bush League' even?

That's funny, in a good way. :)

Didn't realize you guys were that sensitive. Could have fooled me given I saw a thread literally minutes after you beat the Broncos about how to beat the Pats. So some of your fanbase clearly was not as emotional as others ...

And don't you find it a little cheesy that Sal Paolantonio felt the need to ask that question...again....under those circumstances?

Because I would have preferred a more "Bill Parcells-style" answer from Irsay, along the lines of...

"Hey, Sal....instead of trying to stir up :censored2: , why don't you ask me something I haven't answered a million times before?"

Seriously, this business of the media pitting QB v QB....whether it pertains to game matchups (they don't face each other on the field), individual career achievements (in a TEAM sport), and even front office roster decisions (that the players have limited, if any, control over)....is nothing but the media laying landmines to get a story. And why some fans continue to swallow the bait...hook, line and sinker....I don't know.

Jim Irsay simply restated the very same rationale for the Manning to Luck roster decision that he gave the day Manning was released....and that Peyton himself fully understood. He maintained that the rationale for the decision was singularly focused on the future good of the TEAM.

Probably the very same motivation for Luck's non-answer.

Yes, I did not like the question but I think it was pertinent given that Luck had just beaten Manning in a playoff game. Irsay could have chosen to answer it in a much different way.

I'm with another poster, if he was asked, then fine. I didn't see the interview/question. I hope his response was appropriate and/or respectful. Regarding the win, a win is a win, but Peyton has apparently been playing with a torn quad for a month now. He, by no means, was playing well last night. Can't get too cocky about the win, IMO, under those circumstances.

He was probably asked about it. It's an inevitable topic given that this was Manning vs Luck in the playoffs. It's not a problem for me. I have more of a problem whenever Jerry Jones opens his mouth.

Ain't that the truth.  Glad the Cowboys are out of the playoffs so we don't have to watch him and his political buddy anymore.  

Yes, I did not like the question but I think it was pertinent given that Luck had just beaten Manning in a playoff game. Irsay could have chosen to answer it in a much different way.

You're just digging for something that's not there, why I have no idea. You seem to be about the only person bothered by this.

Didn't realize you guys were that sensitive. Could have fooled me given I saw a thread literally minutes after you beat the Broncos about how to beat the Pats. So some of your fanbase clearly was not as emotional as others ...

I didn't realize that you were so sensitive......you know, about Social Propriety

pro·pri·e·ty

noun \prə-ˈprī-ə-tē\

: behavior that is accepted as socially or morally correct and proper

: the state or quality of being correct and proper

It's like I posted in another thread, it would be nice if visiting fans would recognize how sensitive an issue this is for many Colts fans, rather than rubbing salt in the wounds. 

Now, I can appreciate that maybe your OP was sincere, but you should also appreciate that this isn't an ordinary issue.

You're just digging for something that's not there, why I have no idea. You seem to be about the only person bothered by this.

Yes. I am surprised given all the outpouring of sympathy for Manning understandably. Thought it was kind of cheap by Irsay but he was asked so ... up to him to say what he thought was appropriate.

It's like I posted in another thread, it would be nice if visiting fans would recognize how sensitive an issue this is for many Colts fans, rather than rubbing salt in the wounds. 

Now, I can appreciate that maybe your OP was sincere, but you should also appreciate that this isn't an ordinary issue.

Sure. Just wanted to get folks take ... feel free to lock thread if you feel it is causing undo grief. 

To be fair, that's how Irsay talks.....he often rambles on unnecessarily. Don't think he meant anything by it, that's just Jimbo.

Well....I don't know what other response you were expecting.

Jimmy gave the team-first answer he gave at Peyton's going away press conference....and Manning himself understood it.

There's nothing to see here.

Peyton may or may not be done, but based on our team dynamics and injuries etc, Peyton probably would not have helped the Colts anymore than he helped the Broncos to date,,,but,,,

Peyton = declining future,

Luck = sky is the limit,,,

so awesome gamble taken by Mr. Irsay, hindsight being 20/20 and all