Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would put Vontae on Gronk

Indeee

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they do that. They will double him with a corner and safety and let toler and Davis man up o. lafell and edelman. Gronk is too big for vontae to man up on i think

Yeah, I think we're better off doing it that way (or LB and Safety depending on the package), too.  The problem is, last time we played, it left us pretty vulnerable to rushes off the tackles.  A big part of that was we just missed tackles at every turn, but having that much focus on Gronk means we have to make tackles one on one.  We really need Walden and Bjoern to step up.  Walden's been good, but sometimes, like last night, I felt that Bjoern just looked lost.

All I gotta say his hit him off the LOS everytime.  Wear that dude out.  I saw a replay where TY got hit by 3 Patriots defenders coming off the line.  The 3rd guy hit him to the ground more than 10 yards downfield.  If this game gets physical, I would have Toler pop him first, then DQ or Werner, and finally Landry.  I wouldn't be opposed of a physical game, but the refs better call this game straight.  No favortism because it is in NE (like this game against DEN).  I just love how the Colts are playing with an edge. 

What Gronk did to Sergio last game, I'm hoping he is on the wrong end of a outstretched pass from Brady with LaRon over the top plastering the guy.  I don't encourage dirty play, but if the somebody laid RG out, I would have a blind eye.  If the Pats think the Colts are going to lay down for them and be an easy trip to Arizona, they have another thing coming.  Everybody knows Gronk is their bread n butter.  If we rattle, frusterate, and be a pest all day to him, I like our chances!

They are not going to do.  Simply will not happen.  Davis will be lined up wide on the defensive right and take whoever comes out to him.  They will have a different plan for Gronk.

I actually saw Vontae work a handful of plays in the slot during the 2nd half yesterday. You never know, we might have a few new wrinkles in the game plan next week 

Toler on Lafell and Darius on Edellman

I think they take the same approach that they did with Julius Thomas last night and have Mike Adams single High and Landry man on him....Besides that first play where Thomas went down the sideline Landry had him pretty well covered for the most part. 

The last time we played them Sergio was on him I think and he got his * handed to him. Gronk is a beast and a huge matchup problem. They ran the ball down our throat last time. Hopefully they can't do that this time. This is where that stud safety that we didn't get in the draft would come in handy. But then Gronk makes just about every safety in the league look foolish. If Landry could cover, he'd be our bests option but as we know he can't cover.

I think they take the same approach that they did with Julius Thomas last night and have Mike Adams single High and Landry man on him....Besides that first play where Thomas went down the sideline Landry had him pretty well covered for the most part. 

Thomas has a high ankle sprain that significantly hampered his season.  Don't get lulled into thinking that Landry can do the same with Gronk.

Thomas has a high ankle sprain that significantly hampered his season.  Don't get lulled into thinking that Landry can do the same with Gronk.

I want to say that he is well over that injury, he ran well and pretty fluid yesterday. Im not saying by any means that Landry is a great man coverage safety by any means, but he played and covered well yesterday.

I want to say that he is well over that injury, he ran well and pretty fluid yesterday. Im not saying by any means that Landry is a great man coverage safety by any means, but he played and covered well yesterday.

Agreed, Landry isn't a great cover safety... but he does have size and speed which can be put to use on big tight ends like Gronk and Thomas. Obviously I think Gronk is a lot better than Julius Thomas is even when healthy, but still Landry will have a role in guarding Gronk. I am sick of hearing about Gronk and all his partying... Landry please do me a favor and just lay his butt out one play!

I bet Vontae could do a good job on Gronk, because frankly I am still waiting for a receiver to get the better of Davis in a game this season. However, I doubt they do that. I think it will be as others have said, bracket him with a LB and safety.

I think Dez Bryant did as well as you can do against Vontae. Besides the Dallas game, I don't think any receivers have done very well against him.

Come on New England fans. Bash me for calling him Trailer Park Gronk... lmao...

Well you know when they built Gillette Stadium there was actually a trailer park right behind the stadium. You had to actually walk through the park to get there from some parking spots. I would have hated that had I lived in that park. They got mad when they were displaced for the new stadium.

Anyway, Gronk probably wouldn't care what you call him, so I certainly don't. However, he's premium trailer park. Colts would take Gronk on their team faster than you can say "trailer park Gronk."

Well you know when they built Gillette Stadium there was actually a trailer park right behind the stadium. You had to actually walk through the park to get there from some parking spots. I would have hated that had I lived in that park. They got mad when they were displaced for the new stadium.

Anyway, Gronk probably wouldn't care what you call him, so I certainly don't. However, he's premium trailer park. Colts would take Gronk on their team faster than you can say "trailer park Gronk."

Yeah, but after we played you guys the last time and Gronk got a penalty or done something dumb, there were a few guys on here who said if it weren't for football Gronk would be in a trailer park. He is a heck of a TE though.

Actually, I would consider this.  Granted if Gronk catches the ball he'll run over Vontae or drag him for 10 yards till help arrives, but at least he'll have to work to catch the ball and won't be just loping around in an open pasture waiting for Brady to find him.

If the Colts line up Vontae on Gronk and we have some success with it, they will just move him to the other side of the formation or out of the backfield where he doesn't have to worry about Davis anymore.  The LBs and Safeties are going to have to double up and get the job done (which is a pretty tall order).  This will be another game where our CBs have to be physical off the LOS and disrupt routes and timing, hopefully giving our DL some time to get to Brady.  

People often lose sight of Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell who have been beating one on one coverage routinely for the last 9 to 10 weeks.. Additionally, TE Tim Wright can hurt you and Danny Amendola has been a playmaker for the last few games and has really risen and is playing at a high level right now.. I think doubling Gronk and bracketing him would be a mistake.. Not to mention Shane Vereen out of the backfield matchup up on linebackers and safeties which Vereen would eat alive... And can't forget about the power running game of Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount of course.  Gronk is not the only weapon of course, a variety of different weapons that can hurt you in a variety of different ways.