Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Were Luck's Picks......... Good?

John Waylon

Sure, they don't look pretty on the stat sheet, and that second one he literally threw into the entire broncos defense.

But BOTH of them equated to the subsequent punts that would have come on 4th down. If one of our receivers had been able to catch it, or a defensive penalty had been committed they would have been genius throws. 

Do we have the first QB in the history of the game who knows when its ok to turn the ball over? 

They were safer than punts given the field position. Yes, I feel these were calculated risks. 

I agree.  Had they been short passes, then yeah, they would have bothered me.  However, on each one, it was on third down, and he was going to take a sack or run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.  With a punt, there is always the chance for the returner to take it back, but the odds of that happening are much lower on that type of pick.

Boomstick wasn't exactly booming tonight either. Was it the weather that made the thin air so thick? 

Either way, Pat wasn't exactly sticking the ball like his usual excellent self.

Anyone else think this maybe worked into the decision to effectively throw hail mary-esque bombs like that? Luck didn't appear to specifically target a receiver on-spot. He seemed to just throw it as hard as he could. 

They were the least costly type of int, but a pat punt woud have been better. But it all worked out

Not the way McAfee was punting tonight. He had a rough game.

As far as picks go, those are the best possible ones. Both were about a 40 yard net, which is equal to a good punt and both were on 3rd and long (at least the 2nd was, I believe they both were).

I think no. He needs to clean his game up some. He makes some great plays but needs to limit mistakes. Turnovers can be game changers in momentum. Do not need to give other teams any unnecessary chances. Punts would have been better. That said, he is in his third year and will get there. We are in the afcg with these mistakes, just think of the future with this guy! Proud of these Colts!

Sure, they don't look pretty on the stat sheet, and that second one he literally threw into the entire broncos defense.

But BOTH of them equated to the subsequent punts that would have come on 4th down. If one of our receivers had been able to catch it, or a defensive penalty had been committed they would have been genius throws. 

Do we have the first QB in the history of the game who knows when its ok to turn the ball over? 

I have to agree with J, they were the least costly INTs one can throw and they had an opportunity to still make the play out of it since they were both pretty deep and on 3rd and long.  That being said IMO, I would've preferred to see them not throw the INT and punt the ball.  I wouldn't recommend it vs the Patriots lol. 

Other than to protect the QB's stat line, I don't know why teams don't do this more on 3rd and long, especially around mid field.  You're in 3rd and long around midfield - why throw a screen for 5 yards?  Your punter is already in good position.  Throw a jump ball inside the 10.  If they catch it, who cares. 

wow. Just really.

To the OP-  "Do we have the first QB in the history of the game who knows when its ok to turn the ball over?"

Answer- Just no. Hundreds have done it over the years.

And no it not on purpose. Now there are some INTs deep to say the 20 yd line that's as good as a punt.. IN HINDSIGHT. As in it didn't hurt this time. 

But i'ts never good as a strategy.

Honestly I love those bombs on 3rd and long at nearly mid field.  Sure they are like crappy punts, but the defense doesn't expect them as much as a 13 yard pass, and in this day an age the chances of a completion OR a defensive pass interference are pretty darn reasonable, whereas an interception is somewhat unlikely and harmful only to qb stats (and equates to a crummy punt).  The WR should know the ball is coming to him and be ready to tackle if it's picked, so there is not much chance for a long runback.  I think this needs to happen much more often in the NFL.

I think there's a little bit of hindsight analysis going on here, if either had been a pick 6 I don't think people would be so accepting. 

The first I can kinda of understand given the game situation and having Moncrief 1 on 1, if he turns round and at least contests the ball with the CB it may well be an incompletion at worst.

As for the second however... that was a little regression back to Luck trying to force it a little, it just wasn't ever on. It looked like both receivers were effectively double covered. 

Just because it didn't stop us winning doesn't make it ok, the team still needs to lean how to play "clean" football. 

"Good" isn't the word, since obviously a first down would be better there, but they can be characterized as only slightly worse than an incomplete pass in that situation.  So I don't mind the pass because if it's successful it's a great play, but if it fails, it's not much worse than an incompletion & punt.