Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BOOM!

Smonroe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gained so much confidence in boom this game and give him so much credit. Playing through the injury. Not fumbling the ball and getting those hard fought 2-3 yards we don't need him to get 5 yards a carry cause yesterday he was deadly in the dump off game. I really wanted to see him not fumble or do anything stupid which he didnt do and props to the colts staff for benching Richardson boom has gotten better and better every game.

Best news is he didn't fumble, but 2.8 yads per attempt is what most were complaining about as TERRIBLE when TRich had those averages, but with Boom, everyone thinks he is a hero...... Interesting.

I'm not one of those.  I don't know what Trent did to get in the doghouse, but I thought he was a capable back.  Pretty good when he caught a check down, and a very good blocker.  Definitely not first round talent, but he's better than Tipton.

I think Boom gets to the line quicker, and he seems to get yards when there's nothing there. 

Best news is he didn't fumble, but 2.8 yads per attempt is what most were complaining about as TERRIBLE when TRich had those averages, but with Boom, everyone thinks he is a hero...... Interesting.

I had a similar thought if I'm honest but on the old eye test Boom just looked so much better than Trent... 

Sure makes you shake your head about drafting or  trading high draft picks for running backs 

Truth is it don't always work out for QB's either  Manning  - Leaf    Luck -  Rg3  or other positions as well its a crap shoot around here because of the T-Rich trade it has become clear that quality backs can be found in all rounds so a first round pick is a wasted pick to many IMO it comes down to great scouting if theres a Adrian Peterson or Marshall Faulk out there, acquire players of that caliber regardless of the pick .

We have been fortunate enough to pick first & acquired franchise QB's   12 & 18  every great QB needs a great RB  if you don't have one you need to get one .

Everybody who thinks Boom had a good game, should rethink that.  He great out of the backfield, and had a couple good runs, but overall his YPC was BAD.  IDK if you guys realize but it was 2.7!  Once again, it's not the running back it's our blocking schemes running the football.  Still SMH at people continuing to blame Trent...

But definitely good job holding onto that football.  I saw a lot of Denver's LB's and DL ripping at it.

Truth is it don't always work out for QB's either  Manning  - Leaf    Luck -  Rg3  or other positions as well its a crap shoot around here because of the T-Rich trade it has become clear that quality backs can be found in all rounds so a first round pick is a wasted pick to many IMO it comes down to great scouting if theres a Adrian Peterson or Marshall Faulk out there, acquire players of that caliber regardless of the pick .

We have been fortunate enough to pick first & acquired franchise QB's   12 & 18  every great QB needs a great RB  if you don't have one you need to get one .

I think the stat I saw was that out of the top 20 picks in the 2012 draft, only half will be offered a new contract with the team that drafted them.  I think they were assuming that RG3 wouldn't get another contract with Washington.

It's a crap shoot for sure.  Look at what Cleveland did with the pick they got for Trent.  It could very well end up being a bust too.

Boom realistically shouldn't even be starting in the playoffs for a team, taking that into consideration and the fact that he did what was asked of him, I would say he was very good.

IMO Boom also helped keep Luck upright by just presenting the chance of a run game. The Broncos knew Boom can pick up 1st downs with his legs, unlike the other running back, so they have to account for it.

Everybody looking at just YPC is not really watching the games they are just looking at stats.  Trent truly did get 3 yards per Carry but Boom get 6,9,15, -4, -3, 1 on plays he can get yards he gets them. On plays he gets hit in the backfield he doesn't. Trent no matter what happens with him he gets 2.8 yards. Always every time.  He could get a handoff in warmups with no defense and he will get 2.8 yards.

I remember cheering a 6 yard run with Trent earlier this year.

He's a real warrior, you could tell he was playing with a lot of pain, but wasn't about to come off the field. He leaves nothing on the field, gives it everything he's got on every play. His pass protection has been excellent the past two weeks, and not just getting in the way of the rusher, really stopping them cold in their tracks. His style of play reminds me so much of Bradshaw, a never say die, kind of player that just keeps on fighting.  He rarely has any carries for negative yards, even when the hole is not there he stills manages to get something. Those little 3-5 yard carries he was getting yesterday didn't seem like much, but it kept the defense honest, if he could have the kind of game this week, that he had against the Bengals (or better) it would be huge for us. It still feels like he's going to have a break out game (over 100 yards) at any time I hope it's this week. 'GO COLTS"

They just like posting BOOM!

Because Trent has had those averages for 2 yrs....slightly different

Because Trent has had those averages for 2 yrs....slightly different

Now 3 years.    I've never seen a guy fall down as easily as Trent.     The guy cannot run the ball well.

The Colts did get him going in the short passing game at one point this season.    He seemed OK at that.

Interesting that people still think Richardson is worthwhile, considering that the coaches scratch a healthy Richardson out of a playoff game for two guys that were in the practice squad. Also, Denver has a very good run defense.   Although I will say, I would like to see more of Tipton, I still think he might be the better of the two backs. 

You have know why this is.... it's because many people on this board have a double standard.  If they don't like player A and he's does X then it's bad.  If they like player B and he does X then it's good.

Interesting that people still think Richardson is worthwhile, considering that the coaches scratch a healthy Richardson out of a playoff game for two guys that were in the practice squad. Also, Denver has a very good run defense.   Although I will say, I would like to see more of Tipton, I still think he might be the better of the two backs. 

You mean the same coaches that had Khaled Holmes as a healthy scratch for much of the season and started an undrafted free agent?  The coaches have a lot more information to go on than us fans, but they are not always correct.

You mean the same coaches that had Khaled Holmes as a healthy scratch for much of the season and started an undrafted free agent?  The coaches have a lot more information to go on than us fans, but they are not always correct.

No one is always correct.  And we're all heard of cases where politics and favoritism comes into play.

But overall, the coaches are coaching for their jobs too.  I think 95% of the time they're making the right decisions.  It may not always work out, but they're logic in what they're doing.

I'm not one of those.  I don't know what Trent did to get in the doghouse, but I thought he was a capable back.  Pretty good when he caught a check down, and a very good blocker.  Definitely not first round talent, but he's better than Tipton.

I think Boom gets to the line quicker, and he seems to get yards when there's nothing there. 

Boom and Tipton, IMO, both hit the hole harder and get to the line faster than T-Rich (most of the time, anyway).  Our o-line still isn't opening tons of holes, so I think the fast approach to the line helps Boom and Tipton as if there is a hole they are hitting it before it closes.  If Boom is hurt, I hope we bring T-Rich back -- he's proven he can block and is a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield (I know the coaches are emphasizing 'check-downs' and avoiding turnovers but I don't know why T-Rich was never targeted as a receiver the way Boom has been the past 2 games).  I've liked what I've seen from Tipton for the most part, but trust T-Rich as a blocker and pass-catcher more at this point in time.  Only thing worrying me about T-Rich now is his confidence - I hope if we bring him back he isn't more hesitant to hit a hole than before due to lack of confidence for being scratched yesterday -- I sometimes get the feeling T-Rich's struggles are more mental/confidence based than physical ability based.

Give Boom a season to learn the playbook .......

Boom was here last year, too -- he's had just about as much time to learn the play book as Richardson.

A healthy scratch, IMO, just means a player is scratched that 'could have' played, but doesn't necessarily mean at a high level.  Holmes probably 'could have' played in many of the games where he was a scratch and wasn't injured enough to be on IR on the injury report, but I think the coaches wanted to give him ample time to recover from that ankle injury and get his confidence back.  They were high on him in the offseason and then when he got hurt it took him a while to get back, I imagine he either lost strength, speed, agility, confidence or a combination of these things after the injury and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that the coaches thought he was ready for live action again.

2.8 YPC is impressive considering who he was running against. Difference with Boom is that he gets positive plays. 4 yards here, 3 yards there,-2,+6, etc....Trent had mostly negative plays and couldn't keep the chains moving. Stats don't tell the whole story. Boom is a more effective player than Richardson. Point, blank, period.

You conveniently left out the important check downs. The problem with T-rich isn't just numbers. It's the eye test. Plus Denver has one of the top rush defenses in the NFL. The fact that Boom had 23 carries in addition to leading the team in catches showed how dominate he was Sunday.

No one is always correct.  And we're all heard of cases where politics and favoritism comes into play.

But overall, the coaches are coaching for their jobs too.  I think 95% of the time they're making the right decisions.  It may not always work out, but they're logic in what they're doing.

Not much to disagree with here.  I was just responding to the person that stated the coaches making TRich a healthy scratch is all that needs to be said about TRich (my paraphrase).  Just saying that the coaches don't always make the correct choice.  I won't quantify the numbers like you did, but overall, I am happy with the job they do and the decisions they make.  But they do have some head scratchers.