Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landry has earned starting job back.....?

lollygagger8

Thanks man! 

Landry hadn’t been tested much in coverage until the Dallas game, though, where he gave up two first down catches to Jason Witten and was partially responsible for a TD pass; earning him a -1.3 coverage grade.

So......he seems decent against the run, and not decent in coverage

Well, this is where we start to question the merit and relevance of grades. In the Dallas game, he gave up 2 catches for 19 yards, no TDs. One of those two catches was a rub play, I believe. And PFF says he was partially responsible for a TD catch, but that's debatable. 

Either way, we know he's no coverage savant. Don't need PFF for that. But there's still merit to him being on the field, especially against a team that wants to run the ball. Presumably, Denver wants to run the ball.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the suspension, he struggled in the first couple of games and played very poorly but then he had 4 really good games.

Since you brought up PFF, what is his grade since he's returned and what is it compared to Brown's?

This is correct he has played well since returning from his suspension. Probably a reality check & embarrassment for him getting benched as well!

I think landry got the snaps against the Bengals because without Green and without Gresham the thought was the Bengals were going to try to run the ball, a lot.  Against the Broncos it's tougher because if Brown is in there, I could see Manning checking to runs a lot more and if Landry is in there, I could see him checking to passes more, especially sending JT and Sanders deep between the hashes and the sideline on Landry's side.

Very True but Id almost(almost) rather take my chances with Peyton beating us rather than CJ Anderson running all over us and them controlling the time of possession.  If the Colts can stop the run without Landry, Brown's the easy choice.  I think Landry is 100% better against the run than the pass. 

This is a great idea. I hope our coaching staff actually employs it. 

Unfortunately, our schemes/coaches think everyone is interchangeable and don't play to our players strengths. Like dropping DQ or Newsome or Walden into coverage for example. 

Indeed its a good idea but unless your playing straight up man coverage the whole time and in only specific packages its just about impossible to run only specific people guys like a specific lb on the opposing te. Peyton is going to key on that and then look for mismatches and routes that exploit that type of coverage like say rub routes etc. You still have to mix up your coverages and when you do that your going to obviously get matchups from time to time that don't favor you. You can't just go across the board and matchup guys...your going to run defenses that work against the run and that might mean a safety covers the te..etc etc..obviously in specific situations your going to want to matchup your best guys on theirs when you think they will pass it. I expect us to do that...and likely Landry wouldn't be on Thomas in a goal to go situation very much obviously. Overall we matchup pretty decent with them. The big problem will be if Toler isn't healthy Peyton is going to pick on him...he usually goes after the weakest link of the defense. Basically everyone is going to have to step up their game....Denver's offense is a lot more potent than Cincy's. Also Peyton is going to move guys around and run plays out of formations etc that will work best....he may not be 100% but he is still way better than Andy Dalton.

nw5HT.gif

Ummm, how do I put this.....

I know pff isn't the be all end all by any means, but Landry had a -2.4 grade before the suspension. While that beats out his negative grade of -4.7 last year, it still sucks. 

Let's put it this way.....the last game he played against Manning, Manning put up a perfect 158.3 passer rating against Landry. 

Why do you write this?

Your sentence basically implies that Landry was the only player out on the field.    That Manning had us 11 vs. 1 and it was all Landry's fault.

What in the world are you talking about?       And as for your first post in this thread,   the Denver game was early September,  and we're now in early January.     Things change.

Besides,  do we have a lot of better options?       And yes,  I expect Brown to play some....   how much I don't know.

EDIT NOTE:   Disregard my comment about the 158.3 passer rating.    Dustin has explained it.

Very True but Id almost(almost) rather take my chances with Peyton beating us rather than CJ Anderson running all over us and them controlling the time of possession.  If the Colts can stop the run without Landry, Brown's the easy choice.  I think Landry is 100% better against the run than the pass. 

There is another thread about that subject (letting Manning throw) and I can't say that I agree with that philosophy.  To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to not focus on a highly motivated, disciplined QB, who is very motivated to win at least one more Sb before he retires and who is one of the best to ever play the position.

But we will see.  I have been wrong before.... a couple of times... maybe three.

Why do you write this?

Your sentence basically implies that Landry was the only player out on the field.    That Manning had us 11 vs. 1 and it was all Landry's fault.

What in the world are you talking about?       And as for your first post in this thread,   the Denver game was early September,  and we're now in early January.     Things change.

Besides,  do we have a lot of better options?       And yes,  I expect Brown to play some....   how much I don't know.

No, it means that Manning had a perfect passer rating throwing into Landry's coverage.

No, it means that Manning had a perfect passer rating throwing into Landry's coverage.

OK....   I'll take your word for it....  but honestly,  it's the first time I've EVER seen that reference for a defensive back.

I've never seen a passing rating for a DB's coverage ever posted here or anywhere else.

But, if that's what the stats say,  so be it...

OK....   I'll take your word for it....  but honestly,  it's the first time I've EVER seen that reference for a defensive back.

I've never seen a passing rating for a DB's coverage ever posted here or anywhere else.

Be skeptical.  I have learned to not take things from him as the gospel.  Agree with you - first time I have seen a stat like that referenced for a single player.  Could be merit to it I suppose but...

Be skeptical.  I have learned to not take things from him as the gospel.  Agree with you - first time I have seen a stat like that referenced for a single player.  Could be merit to it I suppose but...

Really guys???

I see people post QB rating against specific corners all the time. Vontae gave up the lowest in the league at 38.8, and I hear numbers like that all the time. It's honestly just about the best metric for quantifying cornerback play.....certainly better than interceptions. 

Why do you write this?

EDIT NOTE:   Disregard my comment about the 158.3 passer rating.    Dustin has explained it.

Lol, this guy. Because it's true, that's why. When he threw Landry's way, they completed passes every time. 

As for better options: Brown > Landry. 

If you agreed with me more, you would find yourself on the correct side of virtually every argument on this board.

BTW - my critique of your "is the team already in Denver?" on Monday thread was over the top.  Because the answer is plainly obvious to me does not make it so for everyone else.  Apologies.

And Pagano did address the question today when he said they considered going early but elected to stay with their normal process which means fly out there on Saturday. 

I'll chalk that up as you trying to be funny. lol 

And waiting to make the trip to Denver until Saturday is a big mistake IMO. The team should be there already adjusting to the altitude. We need all the help we can get, and our defense getting gassed is the last problem we should be having. 

I'll chalk that up as you trying to be funny. lol 

And waiting to make the trip to Denver until Saturday is a big mistake IMO. The team should be there already adjusting to the altitude. We need all the help we can get, and our defense getting gassed is the last problem we should be having. 

You can think it is me trying to funny - perhaps there is a little to that - but it is also 100% accurate when debating with you.  You seem a swell guy with access to lots of "funny" gifs or vines.  Perhaps the reason why you post so many of those is because it saves you from having to provide actual insight.  Or insight that is just wrong, such as...  where would I find an example...

Asking if the team had already flown to Denver in the 24 hours after the Bengals win. 

And then questioning the team on its decision for this game.  I am going to guess - and just spitballing here - that they have access to information that outlines the benefit of early accilimation to the climate vs. staying in their normal routine.  I would bet they are taking steps with the players throughout the week about doing things here that will help them in Denver.

You can think it is me trying to funny - perhaps there is a little to that - but it is also 100% accurate when debating with you.  You seem a swell guy with access to lots of "funny" gifs or vines.  Perhaps the reason why you post so many of those is because it saves you from having to provide actual insight.  Or insight that is just wrong, such as...  where would I find an example...

Asking if the team had already flown to Denver in the 24 hours after the Bengals win. 

And then questioning the team on its decision for this game.  I am going to guess - and just spitballing here - that they have access to information that outlines the benefit of early accilimation to the climate vs. staying in their normal routine.  I would bet they are taking steps with the players throughout the week about doing things here that will help them in Denver.

I realize you relish telling people they are wrong, and how righteous you think you are over the internet. The problem is you mistake your opinion with fact. It's ok to have an opinion, but others get to state theirs. I post up a lot of pics, gifs, and funny stuff because it lightens up most of the dribble on here, but I actually provide a lot of actual data, statistics and as much as you hate them..... actual facts. 

Lighten up little buddy, you were doing well there for a second. 

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.

Did Pagano forget to watch tape of Thomas juking Landry out of his shoes the first game they played the Broncos??

JT_TD__3_IND_medium.gif

the funny thing is I'm not sure What football u bin watching but Thomas can beat the top class safetys, so one on one at the goal as against a average to below average cover safety What did u think would happen? Landry is overall the better player we need to make sure Denver can not and I mean can not run the ball first and foremost, so we can pin our ears back and force peyton to the outside guys where we have a better chance

the funny thing is I'm not sure What football u bin watching but Thomas can beat the top class safetys, so one on one at the goal as against a average to below average cover safety What did u think would happen? Landry is overall the better player we need to make sure Denver can not and I mean can not run the ball first and foremost, so we can pin our ears back and force peyton to the outside guys where we have a better chance

English. Try it. 

Since you mentions top class safeties: Kam Chancellor, Eric Berry, Jaryius Byrd, etc. wouldn't have gotten owned that bad. 

I agree with you calling Landry an average to below average safety. Yet we pay him like he's one of the better ones. (close to top 10 as far as cap hit) "What did you think would happen" is a great question for the coach that decided that it was a good idea to leave him in man coverage against Thomas. 

English. Try it. 

Since you mentions top class safeties: Kam Chancellor, Eric Berry, Jaryius Byrd, etc. wouldn't have gotten owned that bad. 

I agree with you calling Landry an average to below average safety. Yet we pay him like he's one of the better ones. (close to top 10 as far as cap hit) "What did you think would happen" is a great question for the coach that decided that it was a good idea to leave him in man coverage against Thomas.

how much football have you watched. When have a coach wanted a player to be in that kind of match up, denver obviously created a mismatch and exploited it. We tried to blitz and he flexed out. I speak french so sorry I will try English.

English. Try it. 

Am I the only one who finds it funny that you chastise someone for their grammar, and then start the critique with "Since you mentions?"  

how much football have you watched. When have a coach wanted a player to be in that kind of match up, denver obviously created a mismatch and exploited it. We tried to blitz and he flexed out. I speak french so sorry I will try English.

And then oops - find out that English is in fact his second language.  On top of the fact he seemed to crush your point.

Not your best moment.

Assuming he plays down in the box most of the game then not a bad idea, Besides Gronk just might have a bit more trouble throwin Landry out of the club then he did Sergio ;) but that assumes Landry doesn't come disguised as Mike Adams 2.0....Ok wont happen but Im hoping